Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

That HS looks like shit.

RC:

McLaren is actually pretty clever, they are using similar tech (around basically the same engine) in all their models and change the design a bit here and there. 

Regarding my neighborhood: It is a conservative catholic neighborhood, similar to many in (South) Germany. The noise of the car shouldn't play a role because me and the other neighbor have loud cars as well and I have a non-German background as well (and the whole neighborhood knows it) but the other guy is a muslim (which could be a problem) and he has a non-German name. Of course this is not the main reason why he is in trouble, he owned a 997 Turbo S Cab before and he was just fine, despite the aftermarket sport exhaust he had.

The problem is/was clearly the car (McLaren...exotic) and the yellow color, the gossip got to us as well (of course) and this seems to be the major issue. People are envious...

You guys are crazy. Just drive the cars you want. I was just in Bremen, a rather modest and nice German city IMO, and I saw all kinds of exotics. You'd be surprised just how many people in your neighborhoods will love the exotics, especially the kids and younger people.

And trust me, a 911 Turbo or R8 is not politically correct anywhere. It's a $200K car and everyone knows it. Most people will see an R8 and ask you if it's a Lamborghini. Believe me, the attention it draws, in any color, is still obnoxious. Mine was black and I was photographed constantly.

RC:

Regarding my neighborhood: It is a conservative catholic neighborhood, similar to many in (South) Germany. The noise of the car shouldn't play a role because me and the other neighbor have loud cars as well and I have a non-German background as well (and the whole neighborhood knows it) but the other guy is a muslim (which could be a problem) and he has a non-German name. Of course this is not the main reason why he is in trouble, he owned a 997 Turbo S Cab before and he was just fine, despite the aftermarket sport exhaust he had.

The problem is/was clearly the car (McLaren...exotic) and the yellow color, the gossip got to us as well (of course) and this seems to be the major issue. People are envious...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

If that is true - then he isn´t the problem - but your neighborhood is - as said before AfD crap

--

AM

noone1:
    RC:

McLaren is actually pretty clever, they are using similar tech (around basically the same engine) in all their models and change the design a bit here and there. 

You guys are crazy. Just drive the cars you want. I was just in Bremen, a rather modest and nice German city IMO, and I saw all kinds of exotics. You'd be surprised just how many people in your neighborhoods will love the exotics, especially the kids and younger people.

And trust me, a 911 Turbo or R8 is not politically correct anywhere. It's a $200K car and everyone knows it. Most people will see an R8 and ask you if it's a Lamborghini. Believe me, the attention it draws, in any color, is still obnoxious. Mine was black and I was photographed constantly.

+1 Smiley

--

AM

noone1:
    RC:

You certainly don't know much about life in Germany and in smaller towns. People hide wealth over here, they don't show it, this is an unwritten rule.

You are wrong, very wrong. A 911 is like a Volkswagen for wealthy people over here, nothing special about it. Yes, the R8 is a bit more "exotic" but it is still an...Audi.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

In contrast to Porsche... oh wait, hmm SmileySmiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

RC:
    noone1:
    RC:

You certainly don't know much about life in Germany and in smaller towns. People hide wealth over here, they don't show it, this is an unwritten rule.

You are wrong, very wrong. A 911 is like a Volkswagen for wealthy people over here, nothing special about it. Yes, the R8 is a bit more "exotic" but it is still an...Audi.

LOL. How are you hiding your wealth by driving a 911? You own 5 cars and two of them are Porsches!

I can only assume you live in a neighborhood somewhat relative to your wealth and income, so they already know a great deal about your finances. Everyone in the neighborhood knows how much your house costs because they own houses there too.

People on forums kept telling me it's "just an Audi" too, yet everyone in the real world was constantly taking pictures of it, asking about, etc. Trust me, if you buy an R8, you might as well buy a Lamborghini. The people in your neighborhood aren't dumb.

Buy and exotic and enjoy yourself for once instead of blowing money on 911's that you never like.

I've driven all over Germany, especially the south, and I see exotics everywhere.

I am shocked on Mclaren's strategy - 675 owners will be furious....and 2nd hand Prices will tank further....(everything else....)

noone1:

That HS looks like shit.

All these "special" versions I don't like - how will a 675LT customer feel now this car has been announced. I consider this lack of continuity a major problem with McLaren. Similar to Lamborghini. This makes it hard/annoying to follow their model policy...

You need to understand the mentality here. Porsches are usually acceptable in Germany, actually the 911 is one of the most successful business cars in Germany and fully tax deductible (depends on business of course). You will have a hard time to do the same with a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Of course there are exotics in Germany but you should talk to the people and ask them where they live...or what they do for a living. You'd be surprised.

I live in a city where much wealthier people than me drive around in a VW Golf or BMW 5 series (and I'm not talking M5 here...).

We discussed this often enough, I do not see any point to repeat myself but you cannot ignore certain (unwritten) rules.

My jeweler, who is well know in my town and considered a VIP (he is basically invited everywhere and is in newspapers and whatnot, a very prominent figure here...) drives a Cayenne (OK, it is a Turbo S but nobody really knows that, there is no model designation). Just recently, I found out that he also owns a Ferrari F12. I saw him driving the car with his wife. We know his family for over 15 years, our kids went to Kindergarten together and just now I learned he owns a Ferrari. Same goes to my dentist, who is a personal friend. I visited him for two years at his home before I found out that he drives a 911 Cab. He never mentioned that he has a Porsche, despite the fact that he always saw me driving one.

I could continue this list but the only people driving exotics here are multimillionaires who just don't care because they have a huge business. My neighbor is the only doctor I know who drives a McLaren. Most doctors over here drive 911, BMWs or Audis. No exotics.

--

bluelines:
    RC:

In contrast to Porsche... oh wait, hmm SmileySmiley

Does a 991 GT3 RS have the same engine and tech as a 911 Carrera? Smiley

McLaren uses a very interesting concept (probably because it allows them to reduce development and production cost) but I also agree with Markus und Björn that the many different models and special editions could p.ss off some customers. Also, the 540 is the most unnecessary model of all. At least they should offer some sort of lightweight version without any comfort features and for a very special (reduced) price. Then, it would make sense.

--

BjoernB:

I am shocked on Mclaren's strategy - 675 owners will be furious....and 2nd hand Prices will tank further....(everything else....)

They've only made like 13 of them and it wasn't even for sale. You had to be offered one by McLaren based on how big of an MSO client you were. It shouldn't have any effect on 675 prices.

The made 25 of them and the car has 13 hp more then 675 - but you are right - no one penny effect on 675 prices

--

AM

RC:

You need to understand the mentality here. Porsches are usually acceptable in Germany, actually the 911 is one of the most successful business cars in Germany and fully tax deductible (depends on business of course). You will have a hard time to do the same with a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Of course there are exotics in Germany but you should talk to the people and ask them where they live...or what they do for a living. You'd be surprised.

I live in a city where much wealthier people than me drive around in a VW Golf or BMW 5 series (and I'm not talking M5 here...).

We discussed this often enough, I do not see any point to repeat myself but you cannot ignore certain (unwritten) rules.

My jeweler, who is well know in my town and considered a VIP (he is basically invited everywhere and is in newspapers and whatnot, a very prominent figure here...) drives a Cayenne (OK, it is a Turbo S but nobody really knows that, there is no model designation). Just recently, I found out that he also owns a Ferrari F12. I saw him driving the car with his wife. We know his family for over 15 years, our kids went to Kindergarten together and just now I learned he owns a Ferrari. Same goes to my dentist, who is a personal friend. I visited him for two years at his home before I found out that he drives a 911 Cab. He never mentioned that he has a Porsche, despite the fact that he always saw me driving one.

I could continue this list but the only people driving exotics here are multimillionaires who just don't care because they have a huge business. My neighbor is the only doctor I know who drives a McLaren. Most doctors over here drive 911, BMWs or Audis. No exotics.

So the guy you knew for 15 years has an F12, your neighbor owns a 12C...

Sounds like everyone in your neighborhood owns and exotic except you lol.

Just go buy a Lamborghini and enjoy it. You'll quickly find out that no one actually cares and it's all in your head.

noone1:
    RC:

So the guy you knew for 15 years has an F12, your neighbor owns a 12C...

Sounds like everyone in your neighborhood owns and exotic except you lol.

Only the McLaren and yes, he is the only one in the neighborhood (the jeweler lives in a very exclusive neighborhood and even there, his Ferrari F12 is quite the exception, there is only a Lamborghini Aventador in that neighborhood as far as I know and this is the car of a guy who owns a huge investment firm in the region).

Just go buy a Lamborghini and enjoy it. You'll quickly find out that no one actually cares and it's all in your head.

Yes, I am 50 and just nuts. Everything in my head. Smiley I don't know about your neighborhood but maybe you just don't care or you don't notice things?! I guess the people running to the mayor to protest the McLaren in my neighborhood are just a fantasy of mine and the stories I hear from other people of the same or higher wealth are just in my imagination as well. Smiley People in Germany hide wealth for a reason. Remember? We invented de-badging cars. Smiley

--

Protest the mayor? LOL. What's he going to do? Chase you out of town with a pitchfork?

Where do you live? I'll move into your hood for a bit and bring a bunch of exotic cars to break the ice for you and throw wild parties with hooker, booze, blow, and cars. :)

RT meet-up in your town perhaps?

noone1:
    BjoernB:

They've only made like 13 of them and it wasn't even for sale. You had to be offered one by McLaren based on how big of an MSO client you were. It shouldn't have any effect on 675 prices.

I would disagree simply because "People" buy something in that price-range because it's the pinnacle of a range (next to P1) and expect it to stay on top of the food-chain for a certain period. It's 2nd Hand value reconfirms this - but now that something is out even more limited and "faster" it's clear that no matter of spyder or not - you are No 2....

Imagine Porsche releasing every 6 month a Software tweeked 911 turning the boost-screw - People would see their "latest" model value tank. Same like non-S models....nobody cares about those....

There was a 12C HS too, and it didn't seem to affect anything.

BjoernB:
    noone1:
    BjoernB:

I would disagree simply because "People" buy something in that price-range because it's the pinnacle of a range (next to P1) and expect it to stay on top of the food-chain for a certain period. It's 2nd Hand value reconfirms this - but now that something is out even more limited and "faster" it's clear that no matter of spyder or not - you are No 2....

I totally agree - for me the 675LT is less attractive now knowing about the "improved" version.

BjoernB:
    noone1:
    BjoernB:

Imagine Porsche releasing every 6 month a Software tweeked 911 turning the boost-screw - People would see their "latest" model value tank. Same like non-S models....nobody cares about those....

+1

--

MKSGR:
    BjoernB:
    noone1:
    BjoernB:

I totally agree - for me the 675LT is less attractive now knowing about the "improved" version.

let me cite RC "wait until the next 991.2 turbo S" - so if you wait until the next car comes you never will buy one, after the next there is a new next and so on and the next one will be improved for sure.

Enjoy today and don´t delay it. Btw. the successor of 650s will be much higher priced then the actual 650s. Do not know anything about the 675lt successor. 

--

AM

MKSGR:
    BjoernB:
    noone1:
    BjoernB:

Why? You could never buy it anyway.

Also, it is just a 675LT with canards and a different wing. The 2% additional power is probably just a slightly stronger 675LT since there is variation in all engines. It most likely has better downforce from the aero and slightly lower straight line speed.

Everything else about the car are just standard options from what I can tell.

Oh, and the HS looks like shit, so don't forget to subtract the value of that lol.

noone1:

Protest the mayor? LOL. What's he going to do? Chase you out of town with a pitchfork?

You don't seem to understand what power a mayor has in a German city, especially when people protest something.

Where do you live? I'll move into your hood for a bit and bring a bunch of exotic cars to break the ice for you and throw wild parties with hooker, booze, blow, and cars. :)

After 10 pm, no loud noises which can affect the neighbors (unless they specifically agree). It is the law and the police is faster at your location that you think. No private lawn mowing on Saturdays and Sundays and only at certain times. Also, no washing of cars at all in your private yard/garage.

My wife mowed the lawn on a Saturday at around 1 pm and the police knocked at our door... Only professional companies are allowed to mown the lawn on Saturdays at certain times, we didn't know that.

RT meet-up in your town perhaps?

I would prefer Miami, Dubai or even Lake Garda. Smiley Smiley

Actually, Lake Garda in Italy is always very nice for a car meet. People are friendly, food is good, nice roads in the mountains (usually we send a car ahead to "free" the road...) and spectacular views. Also possibility for boating, water skiing and so on... Also the Italian police is usually nice if they see a group of nice cars...unless you endanger others. You won't get stopped for being too loud (in Munich, they confiscate cars for being too loud and the decision is made by the police officer and you have no chance if he says your car is too loud, no kidding!). A friend of mine got his car confiscated for no reason, he was so mad. His car was stock, no mods (Jaguar F-Type V8) but apparently the police officers didn't like him driving a major road up and down a couple of times...You can't even fight this in court because the police officers both claimed that they considered the car to be too loud. Smiley No measurement necessary on the spot.

Welcome to Bavaria...

--

Sorry, I just don't buy it.

What kind of problems is your neighbor having? How about the F12 guy?

The lawn and car washing thing is just stupid German law in your city. They have stuff like that in places in Switzerland as well if I'm not mistaken. Hell, they even have stuff like that in the US if you live in a subdivision with a HOA. Such is German culture in some areas I guess. For some reason all stores are closed on Sunday in Germany too. I have no idea why, but people like not being able to buy stuff on Sundays I guess.

As you said though, your neighbor even has an exotic so obviously it's not a big deal. So maybe some people talk about that "Arab/African/Asian and his loud yellow car." So be it. Maybe I'll rent a house in your neighborhood and bring an SV. I'm a Jew, so they'll feel guilty about everything and just let it slide, right?

noone1:

Smiley

The mental image is priceless.

RC:
    noone1:

After 10 pm, no loud noises which can affect the neighbors (unless they specifically agree). It is the law and the police is faster at your location that you think. No private lawn mowing on Saturdays and Sundays and only at certain times. Also, no washing of cars at all in your private yard/garage.

WTF Smiley Where do you live? Some unknown East Bloc police enclave in Bavaria? 

--

Yeah at this point I'd just say the easiest fix for your dilemma is to move to a different neighborhood.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

I think Ms. RC just won't let him get an exotic indecision

noone1:

Sorry, I just don't buy it.

You are not the only one.

noone1:

The lawn and car washing thing is just stupid German law in your city. They have stuff like that in places in Switzerland as well if I'm not mistaken. Such is German culture. 

You are not mistaken, but I never heard anyone having such a paranoia about it. This to the extent where it affects your life choices.

Even if someone would call the police once, what is problem? None.

--

Maybe RC should just buy a trailer to go with his SUV, put a lawnmower in it and a sign that says RT lawn care. Then he can legally mow his lawn on Saturday at 1pm ;)

RC:
    noone1:
    RC:

--

Yes, even here a 911 doesn´t impress anyone, it almost became a vulgar car. The R8 is still an Audi but due to it´s shape grabs more attention, still nothing compared to Ferrari or Lambo.

--

J.Seven

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755190 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431540 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258867 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255889 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79881 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5263 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868909 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802930 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM