Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 992 turbo S Thread Closed

ha:

I think they are talking 1-1.5kg

Yeah, the savings will be small.  My favorite part of the option is it will make many more cars without sunroof on the road (and the weight savings is large compared to the sunroof option).

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    ha:

I think they are talking 1-1.5kg

Yeah, the savings will be small.  My favorite part of the option is it will make many more cars without sunroof on the road (and the weight savings is large compared to the sunroof option).

Not only the weight savings but also a reduction in the center of gravity for the vehicle.  One never understood the rationale of mounting a heavy glazed plate with corresponding mechanism for a sun/moonroof on a sports car.  

That 8 speed gearbox must be the biggest gain surely? 30kg?

Any weight benefit from the alloy rear quarter panels will likely be offset by the wider front and rear fenders I would image.

The 20/21" wheel/tyre package will add at least 13kg (wheel size plus width and wider tyres front and rear). It could be as much as 15kg as I believe  from the GT3RS the wider 20/21 tyres are a good 1-3kg each heavier front to back.

Remeber also that the Turbo S gets the new PCCM set up with larger front rotors and 10 pot calipers which must add at least 4-5kg to the front axle....

Theres your 50kg right there.

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 991.2 GT3 Manual, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, 2017 Macan S (Petrol)

Returning to relevant Porsche 992 Turbo S news, Autocar is reporting 620 bhp; however, Road & Track writes that the output can be as high as 650 bhp (DIN).  With the debut scheduled for Genf in a few weeks, the answer will soon be known.  

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/new-2020-porsche-911-turbo-set-geneva-debut 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a29728033/2020-porsche-911-turbo-s-horsepower-news/ 

CGX car nut:

Returning to relevant Porsche 992 Turbo S news, Autocar is reporting 620 bhp; however, Road & Track writes that the output can be as high as 650 bhp (DIN).  With the debut scheduled for Genf in a few weeks, the answer will soon be known.  

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/new-2020-porsche-911-turbo-set-geneva-debut 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a29728033/2020-porsche-911-turbo-s-horsepower-news/ 

650hp is officially confirmed Smiley

It will be a monster. Any information regarding the weight ?

That' quite the boost and genuinely unexpected from the typical power increases Porsche have given its cars in the past.  One guesses that the new competition, especially from McLaren, has justified the bump.  

While it remains great news, this makes the Turbo S even more academic in many areas of the world.  Driving this car under normal conditions in the States, for example, will render the experience banal.  This is probably why Autocar has an article on Porsche considering a back-to-the-basics 914 type automobile.  https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/modern-day-914-way-hints-porsche 

schmoell:

I read it will be slightly heavier than recent model.  Performance 0-60 2.8. top speed 205

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

schmoell:

About 50kg more Smiley

MKSGR:
    schmoell:

About 50kg more Smiley

Guess one will need to leave the significant other at home. 

50 Kg will be neclecteble as the Turbo was always on the heavy side anyway and we know what Porsche can do to fight weight. I heard rumours  about an additional 150PS for the hybrid .2 facelift which would be unusual to say the least. Anyway, the Turbo is not supposed to be a perfect track toy; maybe except for in rain . For anything else it will be a hell of a car (I hope).  Let me add that I think that the Turbo is a beautiful car from certain angles and so will be the 992,

RBR_PZMS_240.jpg

Having owned a recent Turbo, my view it is fast and a very stable car. Yet, it's dull to drive. No excitement other to know that if you need speed its there. Its resemblance to ordinary 911 make it an overpriced DD. 

--

nberry:

Having owned a recent Turbo, my view it is fast and a very stable car. Yet, it's dull to drive. No excitement other to know that if you need speed its there. Its resemblance to ordinary 911 make it an overpriced DD. 

My personal view: the turbo s is the best car money can buy. Perfect package, but expensive.

nberry:

It's pretty much personal taste I guess. If you want something loud at low rpm or a flashy car then the Turbo is not for you. If you want to take your significant other out for dinner, hang on the phone at 150 km/h and once in while run it around a track or at 300 on the Autobahn it's just perfect. And I'd call the "resemblance to ordinary 911" stealth mode Smiley

schmoell:
    nberry:

It's pretty much personal taste I guess. If you want something loud at low rpm or a flashy car then the Turbo is not for you. If you want to take your significant other out for dinner, hang on the phone at 150 km/h and once in while run it around a track or at 300 on the Autobahn it's just perfect. And I'd call the "resemblance to ordinary 911" stealth mode Smiley

Could you please stop talking this complete B*s*t Smiley

… I am currently looking into a used Turbo S just for the very reasons you stated… Smiley Smiley Smiley

d997h:
    schmoell:
    nberry:

Could you please stop talking this complete B*s*t Smiley

… I am currently looking into a used Turbo S just for the very reasons you stated… Smiley Smiley Smiley

The truth is: The Turbo S is boring as hell once you get used to the capabilities. My personal experience, doesn't need to be someone's else's. One reason I said good-bye to my 991.1 Turbo S...after only 6 months.

If someone needs a hyper fast daily driver, the Turbo S is perfect. For everything else, there are better alternatives. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I get your point and I tend to agree…the performance "comes to easy" and you do not need or you cannot push it to the limit...having said this, AWD for winter, adrenalin / speed for the odd two or three track days and the comfort as DD….yummy, yummy, hmmmm, I guess I am just getting old(er) …. Smiley 

RC:
    If someone needs a hyper fast daily driver, the Turbo S is perfect. For everything else, there are better alternatives. 

"better" is relative... This daily driver will beat most other sportscars on track and everywhere else Smiley At the same time you can open the roof and listen to nice music. Best overall package Smiley

+1 kiss

MKSGR:
    RC:

"better" is relative... This daily driver will beat most other sportscars on track and everywhere else Smiley At the same time you can open the roof and listen to nice music. Best overall package Smiley

Markus, I simply don't care. It is a boring car once you get used to it. Even more in a speed limited country. Smiley

Maybe you just got old and you didn't realize it. Smiley

A friend of mine, he is 58, has discovered his love for "oldtimers" lately, especially British cars. His explanation was quite fascinating, even if it may have been a joke only...maybe. Smiley "Last time, I could barely exit your car (Lambo), so what do you expect?!".  Smiley

Btw: Are you guys even aware of the possibilities of EV tuning at some point? No conventional car will be able to keep up, especially straight line. You can easily double the power for a short time. So what? I don't care, they sound like crap and feel like driving gadgets (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending on what you're looking for).

I was really excited when I got my 991.1 Turbo S but was bored fast because it didn't challenge anything: Not my driving, not my ears, not my other senses, nothing. It was just fast. Smiley

We'll see how the new 992 Turbo S will hold up, my wife seriously plans to get one (I still think a 992 GTS would be more than enough for her though) but in the end, I won't stay in her way because I will (very likely) drive it as well. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

Markus, I simply don't care. It is a boring car once you get used to it. Even more in a speed limited country. Smiley

You will think of this next time a 992 turbo S will overtake you Smiley

RC:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

A friend of mine, he is 58, has discovered his love for "oldtimers" lately, especially British cars. His explanation was quite fascinating, even if it may have been a joke only...maybe. Smiley "Last time, I could barely exit your car (Lambo), so what do you expect?!".  Smiley

Btw: Are you guys even aware of the possibilities of EV tuning at some point? No conventional car will be able to keep up, especially straight line. You can easily double the power for a short time. So what? I don't care, they sound like crap and feel like driving gadgets (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending on what you're looking for).

I was really excited when I got my 991.1 Turbo S but was bored fast because it didn't challenge anything: Not my driving, not my ears, not my other senses, nothing. It was just fast. Smiley

We'll see how the new 992 Turbo S will hold up, my wife seriously plans to get one (I still think a 992 GTS would be more than enough for her though) but in the end, I won't stay in her way because I will (very likely) drive it as well. Smiley

A similar argument was levied in an article one recently read, comparing the 992 Carrara S to the Aston-Martin Vantage.  The author found the Porsche too competent that it comes across as boring.  The Aston, however, has enough foibles to make it interesting, in comparison.  

That, in a nutshell, is what is wrong with the Porsche Turbo S.  It is just too perfect and capable to be interesting.  Hopefully, Porsche adds some charisma to the so-to-reveal 992 variant.  

CGX car nut:
    RC:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

A similar argument was levied in an article one recently read, comparing the 992 Carrara S to the Aston-Martin Vantage.  The author found the Porsche too competent that it comes across as boring.  The Aston, however, has enough foibles to make it interesting, in comparison.  

That, in a nutshell, is what is wrong with the Porsche Turbo S.  It is just too perfect and capable to be interesting.  Hopefully, Porsche adds some charisma to the so-to-reveal 992 variant.  

The problem is: most reviews are written by people who cannot afford these cars. There is a huge difference if you drive a car for a day or if you drive it whenever you like. Press reviews are mostly meaningless for this exact reason. The turbo is the best car if you drive it all the time Smiley

Is there another luxury car with 650hp that doesn't sound like a sport car? Is there another luxury car that look like its much cheaper siblings? The TT is a terrific car but no one can deny its is boring to drive. No exhaust sound, numbing four wheel drive and for the most part a looking alike for the cheaper models. 

You'll be better off getting the GTS.

--

nberry:

Is there another luxury car with 650hp that doesn't sound like a sport car? Is there another luxury car that look like its much cheaper siblings? The TT is a terrific car but no one can deny its is boring to drive. No exhaust sound, numbing four wheel drive and for the most part a looking alike for the cheaper models. 

You'll be better off getting the GTS.

I love Turbo Ss, they are the best all rounders for street driving.

I would probably  sell the GT cars before selling the Turbo S, I get more use out of the Turbo S than anything else.

The torque is addictive, and If I drive it on.a winding road, most people, even in a GT car, will not be able to keep up. 

Best part is that I can just leave the car anywhere in town without worries, as you said, it looks just like any other 911 and no one pays extra attention to them Smiley

--

Why not get a Taycan if you want speed, torque and comfort? It's cheaper.Smiley

Nick, I was at my dealer and they had a used 918 Spyder on consignment. 1300 miles asking price 1.4m. Apparently the owner has 3 918's and decided to get rid of one. They also had a 2019 Turbo S for $221,000. Crazy.

--

There’s a 918 up for 2.3m here indecision

--

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

The Swiss are richer. Smiley

--

nberry:

Why not get a Taycan if you want speed, torque and comfort? It's cheaper.Smiley

Nick, I was at my dealer and they had a used 918 Spyder on consignment. 1300 miles asking price 1.4m. Apparently the owner has 3 918's and decided to get rid of one. They also had a 2019 Turbo S for $221,000. Crazy.

--

I already have a 911 Turbo S and a Panamera Turbo S, there is no place for a Taycan in my garage, especially when I already have a e-Tron for those city driving stuff. Plus, the Taycan has too many touch screens. A big no no in a car. 

There is only a handful of people who have 3 918s in the USA, actually less than a handful, unless someone got an extra one afterwards. There is exactly 3 people that originally bought 3 in the USA. 

--

nberry:
    DaveGordon:

The Swiss are richer. Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

I came to that conclusion in another thread.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689991 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409462 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255850 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235079 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65588 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858214 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774340 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM