Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Mission E...the future of Porsche?

... and hear that sound ... much better than a real turbo equipped one smiley

Porsche Taycan Sound

... at least this is the future ....

--

-----------------------------------

RC:
    Sidney:
    RC:

I would definitely get a Taycan Turbo S as a daily driver (maybe not in Germany, it attracts too much attention) ...

Really? .. you're worried about the attention of a Taycan  ... and driving a Huracan? ... come on ... what did Porsche to you that you became such a "hater" .... (hater is too strong ... but my English is limited)?

--

I still love Porsche but I wanted the 960 and they never built it, so... Smiley

Also, believe it or not: The Huracan Performante is met with so much positive reaction in Germany that I am still stunned (and I already drove the car for over 8700 km). I know what people here often think about the Panamera and I doubt that the Taycan will get much more positive attention. EV or not but it is still a luxury sedan and people love the 911, not so much the Panamera or the Cayenne. I am talking about regular people here, not Porsche fans.

A Taycan in front of my office would certainly cause more issues for me than the E63 S (which btw. didn't cause any issues for me since the badges were removed and only very few people know it is an AMG). A Taycan, even a Taycan S (coming at some point...), would be an eye catcher and since most recent publications have mentioned the Taycan as a luxury EV and posted the prices (up to 200k and more), people think it is a very expensive car (and it is).

I am seriously considering getting an EV to replace my E63 as a daily driver but I think it is going to be a Tesla model 3 Performance. Way cheaper and not attracting too much attention. The Taycan is a beautiful car, no doubt but I like to keep a lower profile with my business.

What I understood so far from your posts, is that the cayenne-panamera duet aggravate a segment of the German population because they are perceived as polluting gas guzzlers and not because they are relatively expensive compared to the VW or Opel of the average person. The Taycan being a clean EV would not be met with this kind of prejudice, I presume. I expect the Taycan to lift the ecological image of Porsche ownership, if anything rather than to annoy the environmentalists.

As to the Huracan Performante being met with positive reactions, this is a puzzle given the social culture you often describe. Probably, enthusiasts love it and show their appreciation as expected and the majority who would have potentially hated it, they don't know what it is due to its rarity and they are indifferent..

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

IMG_8546.mp4
    IMG_8548.mp4
    IMG_8547.mp4
    IMG_8549.mp4
    7A4E3CBE-DD6D-45C1-B11F-0CC6CAD92B68.jpeg
    678B5FD6-F145-4D76-B6F3-C2C58F0D09AD.jpeg

--

AM

Here are some real world experiences. The car is abnormally quick.

--

AM

ALDO:

Here are some real world experiences. The car is abnormally quick.

Thx for the videos ... Turbo or Turbo S ?

--

Turbo S

--

AM

One of the few Taycan articles found on the EV blog sites one follows was published today, announcing that Porsche is increasing production after seeing high demand.  The same websites have conveniently neglected the performance reports from numerous sources over the past couple of weeks.  

Topspeed:

Great colour on that car

--

So the host Alex is a big time Tesla fanboy was was trying to shade the Taycan every question possible, but the guy being intereviewed, Tom, who is a writer for insideev and also a Tesla owner shot Alex down every step of the way 

--

One other thing I forgot I learned over the weekend with Porsche, but it would seems the route that Porsche took the journalists in Europe for the launch of the Taycan, was a very specific route that showcase the Taycan's ability, and the Model S that they bought before couldn't complete. It wasn't elaborate on the why, but I suspect the autobahn killed the Tesla. 

--

RC:
    Sidney:
    RC:

I would definitely get a Taycan Turbo S as a daily driver (maybe not in Germany, it attracts too much attention) ...

Really? .. you're worried about the attention of a Taycan  ... and driving a Huracan? ... come on ... what did Porsche to you that you became such a "hater" .... (hater is too strong ... but my English is limited)?

--

I still love Porsche but I wanted the 960 and they never built it, so... Smiley

Also, believe it or not: The Huracan Performante is met with so much positive reaction in Germany that I am still stunned (and I already drove the car for over 8700 km). I know what people here often think about the Panamera and I doubt that the Taycan will get much more positive attention. EV or not but it is still a luxury sedan and people love the 911, not so much the Panamera or the Cayenne. I am talking about regular people here, not Porsche fans.

A Taycan in front of my office would certainly cause more issues for me than the E63 S (which btw. didn't cause any issues for me since the badges were removed and only very few people know it is an AMG). A Taycan, even a Taycan S (coming at some point...), would be an eye catcher and since most recent publications have mentioned the Taycan as a luxury EV and posted the prices (up to 200k and more), people think it is a very expensive car (and it is).

I am seriously considering getting an EV to replace my E63 as a daily driver but I think it is going to be a Tesla model 3 Performance. Way cheaper and not attracting too much attention. The Taycan is a beautiful car, no doubt but I like to keep a lower profile with my business.

If you are going to think about a model 3 I would encourage you to try the back seat. The roof is sort of “scooped out” as it gives “up” to the flush glass panel but notwithstanding my head was almost touching and felt claustrophobic as the transverse structural beam in the middle is then literally in front of your face so you sort of need to hunch down . If you are only gonna use it for yourself w/o passengers then NP, but put it this way it ain’t a great taxi...

Funny drove today from Stockholm Airport to Stockholm Central with an Tesla 3 Taxi for the first time and made the same experience in the back. Further the road and wind noise in this car is way too loud.

hunterone:

Funny drove today from Stockholm Airport to Stockholm Central with an Tesla 3 Taxi for the first time and made the same experience in the back. Further the road and wind noise in this car is way too loud.

Told here numerous times that gap spacing and body panel alignment doesn't make any difference.  Guess it does.  

While EVs, in theory, are quiet, the lack of harmonic acoustic frequencies means that other noises become that much more apparent, as you heard, firsthand.  With careful attention to details and tailoring natural frequency ranges accordingly, the car can sound much more quiet and soothing.  

RC:

Did hell freeze over while I was in Mugello SmileySmiley

--

That was a bit depressing.  The video itself was outstanding and there's nothing inherently wrong with Henry Catchpole, in fact, the opposite is true.  He is the first journalist to probably accurately describe the Taycan.  While the car exudes technical excellence, there is something elusive that remains missing in this EV, much like every other EV.  The future might be bright for some, but for automobile enthusiasts, personal enjoyment is taking a substantial step backward.  

Yes, I found the same.  Like he was trying to be professional, and "reasonably positive ", but in the end he is just too much of a petrolhead to really get enthusiastic about the Taycan.  To his credit, he admitted in comments that he misspoke about brake regen, but stands by his view that the Taycan would drive better with more regen at a level that more or less simulated normal engine braking. 

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

The brake regeneration question is a very interesting issue.  Many EV enthusiasts have criticized Audi and Porsche for not enabling one pedal driving; however, there was a writer for Car Magazine that almost immediately noted the advantages of the Volkswagen Group approach.  He had driven a Jaguar i-Pace across the continent and remarked the one-pedal driving with strong liftoff brake regeneration was tiring over that long trip.  

CGX car nut:

The brake regeneration question is a very interesting issue.  Many EV enthusiasts have criticized Audi and Porsche for not enabling one pedal driving; however, there was a writer for Car Magazine that almost immediately noted the advantages of the Volkswagen Group approach.  He had driven a Jaguar i-Pace across the continent and remarked the one-pedal driving with strong liftoff brake regeneration was tiring over that long trip.  

Because that's the Tesla way. Doesn't mean it's the correct way or incorrect way, but they are all used to the monopoly car in the segment doing it hence comparing everything to that.

VAG designed theirs to act like a normal car. In normal cars when one lift off the throttle, the car doesn't suddenly slow down, it keep most of the momentum and keep rolling more or less the same speed. It is what every car driver in the world are used to, and to get normal car drivers to convert to electric, it's best to keep things normal. 

Another thing is VAG think energy conservation first. Converting kinetic energy will have loses, it's not  a 100% conversion, so why waste perfectly good energy when it's perfectly fine to take advantage of that energy to keep the car going?

The slight lift off regeneration selections are good enough to hold the car speed constant going down hills, so one doesn't need to ride the brakes. 

Another thing is, Tesla doesn't have the know-hows to blend regen braking with physical braking, they are forced to design their cars like they are, the moment the driver touches the brakes the regen is off and physical brakes takes over.

VAG, via Porsche, have years of experience tuning the interaction between physical brakes and regenerative brakes, seriously, no one is remotely close, so why not show case their leadership in that segment? Also why Jaguar can't do blended braking and had to resort to using lift off regen.

--

I agree with Catchpole about not caring about tiny differences in straight line acceleration. Other than that, I thought the review was silly and boring at best.  Just some vague comments about handling, lack of excitement (very personal opinions), and repetitive shots of a car on a wet road...

I literally fell asleep watching that video last night 

Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:

Because that's the Tesla way. Doesn't mean it's the correct way or incorrect way, but they are all used to the monopoly car in the segment doing it hence comparing everything to that.

VAG designed theirs to act like a normal car. In normal cars when one lift off the throttle, the car doesn't suddenly slow down, it keep most of the momentum and keep rolling more or less the same speed. It is what every car driver in the world are used to, and to get normal car drivers to convert to electric, it's best to keep things normal. 

Another thing is VAG think energy conservation first. Converting kinetic energy will have loses, it's not  a 100% conversion, so why waste perfectly good energy when it's perfectly fine to take advantage of that energy to keep the car going?

The slight lift off regeneration selections are good enough to hold the car speed constant going down hills, so one doesn't need to ride the brakes. 

Another thing is, Tesla doesn't have the know-hows to blend regen braking with physical braking, they are forced to design their cars like they are, the moment the driver touches the brakes the regen is off and physical brakes takes over.

VAG, via Porsche, have years of experience tuning the interaction between physical brakes and regenerative brakes, seriously, no one is remotely close, so why not show case their leadership in that segment? Also why Jaguar can't do blended braking and had to resort to using lift off regen.

Understand the differences amongst Volkswagen Group's regeneration strategy versus the other EV builders and agree with its decisions.  

Try following behind a Tesla on the highway with a bit of traffic. The brake light illuminates erratically as the driver or autopilot momentarily lifts off the accelerator to adjust speed.  It is quite infuriating, especially at night with the brake lights essentially becoming strobe-like.  Plus, most Tesla drivers drive slower than Prius drivers.  

schmoell:
    RC:

Did hell freeze over while I was in Mugello SmileySmiley

Smiley Nope, I am just trying to promote a green image... Smiley Smiley Not sure it is necessary though, we need to see how Greta's influence works out, I hope that people will forget about her in 12 months. Tops. Smiley Poor girl...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC - I would caution on the Model 3 as there have been some quality and finish problems with this car. 

--

2016 Porsche 991 Carrera GTS  Black with AeroKit Cup Package,  2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum  Purpurite Metallic, New York

We bought a Model 3 and quite like it. It’s not a luxury car but the acceleration from stand still on the performance model is amazing, the UI is sparse but at the same time feels year‘s ahead of any other car, especially in its price range. We are still waiting for the Tesla charger to be installed as we require the approval from the owners of our building but even without it, range has never been an issue as the super charger network in DE and CH is quite extensive. 

neunelf:

We bought a Model 3 and quite like it. It’s not a luxury car but the acceleration from stand still on the performance model is amazing, the UI is sparse but at the same time feels year‘s ahead of any other car, especially in its price range. We are still waiting for the Tesla charger to be installed as we require the approval from the owners of our building but even without it, range has never been an issue as the super charger network in DE and CH is quite extensive. 

Interested in why you find it years' ahead of other automobiles versus just different.  

I don’t want to start a another Tesla debate; for me it starts with not having a key in my pocket, autopilot is ahead of anything that’s offered in the 3 Series, A4, E-Class, etc. The over the air updates make it feel like a modern OS.

The quality isn’t up to German rivals and I‘m not fond of the looks but to me it’s straight from the future. 

neunelf:

I don’t want to start a another Tesla debate; for me it starts with not having a key in my pocket, autopilot is ahead of anything that’s offered in the 3 Series, A4, E-Class, etc. The over the air updates make it feel like a modern OS.

The quality isn’t up to German rivals and I‘m not fond of the looks but to me it’s straight from the future. 

To each, his own... The reason one drives is for driving satisfaction.  Relinquishing control to the car is something that is anathema to probably a few posters on RT; however, if you are comfortable with it, it is your prerogative.  

Evidence including a post recently made on the Tesla Roadster thread illustrates that Tesla relies on OTA instead of a practicing a rigorous development program before a model or update is released.  Again, if you are comfortable with that fact, it too remains your prerogative.  

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802463 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448319 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265877 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89882 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6354 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885245 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831699 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM