Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Picking color is like pulling teeth

Hey guys,
    I must say that as the 997 S will be my first porshce i have realized that picking a color is the most stressful thing i have encountered with a car. As being an owner of numerous BMW and Mercedes it was always an easy choice just go with silver. However, with the Carrera S I must say I am going to start to lose sleep over what color to go with. If anyone has seen the latest review in the last Robb Report my personal 3 favorite colors for the 997S are side by side the speed yellow, guards red and the arctic silver. Just looking at that pic makes one confused.

Ciao

Re: Picking color is like pulling teeth

Quote:
    porsche997 said:
    Hey guys,
    I must say that as the 997 S will be my first porshce i have realized that picking a color is the most stressful thing i have encountered with a car. As being an owner of numerous BMW and Mercedes it was always an easy choice just go with silver. However, with the Carrera S I must say I am going to start to lose sleep over what color to go with. If anyone has seen the latest review in the last Robb Report my personal 3 favorite colors for the 997S are side by side the speed yellow, guards red and the arctic silver. Just looking at that pic makes one confused.

Ciao

Of those three colors, the only issue I would have is Speed Yellow. You might tire of it, maybe not. I personally would get tired of it.

Guards red and arctic silver are classic colors. Guards isn't as popular lately but if I were ordering that is what I'd get.

If have ADD where cars are concerned and might sell in the short term, get silver. That's why dealers get lots of arctic silver Porsches--easiest color to sell.

I have a Guards Red 993 C4 that I absolutely love. What I don't like is the fact that it needs a bath about once a week. Although there are tons of silver cars on the road, I ordered my 997 in arctic just for ease of maintenance. Red is very cool if you don't mind keeping it clean. In addition, nothing looks better than a freshly detailed black car. My dealer has a black S with ceramic brakes in the showroom. It's a great color on a 997. Wish I could help you in your decision, but I honestly think the 997 looks good in every color.

Picking color is like pulling teeth: YANK!

As I see it you have three avenues of choice:

1. dark colors (almost all of the metallics are dark)

2. Racy colors (yellow and red)

3. Silver

Silver is best if you are an aesthete and want to see the sculptural aspects of teh car all the time. Don;t even bother wondering if silver is too common, that's like saying the sky color is monotonous. Silver _changes_ with the lighting, it also allow you to see shapes , volumes and lines better.

The Blue and burgandy colors are the ones you choose because they are your favorites, this has nothing to do with the fact that you just bought a fantastic car with it's own demanding character. Like choosing a color for a minivan

Lastly: there's not alof of interesting colors to choose from, too many dark ones. I personally wish we could see some more silver varieties.

I hope this helps.

Re: Picking color is like pulling teeth: YANK!

I am considering Lapis Blue for mine. Don't see a lot of people mention that color. Any thoughts?

Quote:
    trice said:
    I am considering Lapis Blue for mine. Don't see a lot of people mention that color. Any thoughts?

Lapis blue is a nice color, but the shade is becoming very common with other makes now and to me it is sort of a feminine color.....just my opinion. If you want blue, midnight blue is superb.

Quote:
    porsche997 said:
    Hey guys,

Ciao

Speed yellow probably iffy for resale, but at the end of the day its YOUR car don't worry about what others like. If I was going for a 997 I would go for either seal grey or arctic silver. I think everyone agonises over colour and spec, I know I did on my Boxster, and probably will continue to do until its too late to change anything. It's my first Porsche also.

I think SY is fantastic, but it's a california/showroom colour.

By that I mean it need the right artificail light or bright strong sunlight to look its best - the few I've seen on the roads in the UK don't look a proper yellow once out of the showroom.

indeed, it was like this when i was picking out my first porsche.

rest assured, that whatever colour you pick, you will, sooner or later, fall in love with it, and it will become your favourite colour in the world.

I chose my 997s in seal grey,i have seen it and it suits the 997s very well,even if its an old colour its still a great colour.Out of silver ,red or yellow ,i would go for red,as again it suits the 997s well.

I have a speed yellow C4S and I absolutely love it. Problem is, sometimes all the attention I get becomes overbearing. I have lots of stories, but 90% of people who provide comments and motion at me, say it's awesome, with a small minority thinking it's too over the top.

I'm in the market for a 997S. It will either be black or speed yellow. I've owned 4 black cars in a row, 3 bmws and 1 Honda S2000. They are beautiful when detailed, but look like azz much of the time. But the S looks so good in black, I'm not sure I can not get it.

Yellow on the S seems 'off' to me in pics. I think the car needs the aerokit to pull off yellow in the same manner that the GT3 looks natural in yellow, as if it is 'its proper color'. I'm going to try to actually see a speed yellow car before I place an order.

But anyway. . . the color game is all perception/opinion. . . no right or wrong choice.

I have a 997 S in Seal Grey/Black 6 Speed, available in about 2 weeks; if anybody wants some info. Thank You !
    Revvv

Quote:
    robbo said:
    I chose my 997s in seal grey,i have seen it and it suits the 997s very well,even if its an old colour its still a great colour.Out of silver ,red or yellow ,i would go for red,as again it suits the 997s well.

Good call. Traditional shape so go with traditional colours, like seal grey, arctic silver or red. You can't go wrong then. Traditional colours don't tend to go out of fashion, either.

red is never out of fashion for a real sports car

I was looking for an ice blue, but don't want to go with paint to sample in case, God forbid, I ever need to get it touched up.
    Instead, I'm leaning towards Forest Green which seems to me to be like British Racing Green... Anyone have any pics of this colour ?

Forest green is a great color IMO.....check out this link and search under Rain Forest/Forest green. Mind you that they are both different colors.....Rain Forest being a little brighter. Forest green is a good match for British Racing green.

http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/gallery/

yes but in a german car, you want german racing white, or just get red, and forget about it

Also my first porsche, couldn't agree with you more..I've also been cracking up over the colour, I originally ordered arctic silver but since have almost changed to red, both seal and slate and this afternoon finally changed my order to black after seeing two black 997's ready for client pick up, they looked absolutely awesome, even better than printed pictures... also black looks sharper with the classic wheels. Just my opinion

I just took delivery of my 2005 C4S Cab in Guards Red. It happens to be my forth guards red Porsche. As far as I am converned a Porsche of Ferrari belonmgs in red with tan hides period, but what do I know?

All the opinions on this post prove my earlier point - the more you listen to other peoples' views, the more confused you will get, because everyone has their own taste. Go your own way, do your own thing. Then you will be happy

Quote:
    med said:
    Also my first porsche, couldn't agree with you more..I've also been cracking up over the colour, I originally ordered arctic silver but since have almost changed to red, both seal and slate and this afternoon finally changed my order to black after seeing two black 997's ready for client pick up, they looked absolutely awesome, even better than printed pictures... also black looks sharper with the classic wheels. Just my opinion

Where they Basalt Black or non metallic Black?

Tough choices indeed. My personal preferences:

- Black
    - Seal Gray
    - GT Silver (AWESOME!, but special paint job)
    - Arctic Silver

Read all your posts....I don't know if this combination will look good but I went ahead and placed an order for GT Silver with terracota interior, aluminum as well. It's a november production probably recieve it early dec. Hope you guys like the color combo

Quote:
    Bashooor said:
    Read all your posts....I don't know if this combination will look good but I went ahead and placed an order for GT Silver with terracota interior, aluminum as well. It's a november production probably recieve it early dec. Hope you guys like the color combo

GT Silver looks phenomenal! Phenonemal!! Great choice.

i have to agree, choosing a color combination on one's first porsche, can be quite stressfull. after i have been thru this myself, the color question "resolved" itself for me, after i decided to buy a car that was already on the ground, rather than waiting for it. however, if i would have custom ordered it, i would have:

DEFINITELY ordered the cocao interior. this looks absolutely breathtaking. unbelievable, to good to be true. one of the the most, well, THE most beatifull interior i have ever seen. i ended up getting a black interior, but the cocao is my top choice.

exterior, i have to agree, the GT silver looks awesome on the 997. after that, white or artic are a good one too.

the combination of GT silver & cocao, with or without custom colored stitching, would be my dream combination.

just my 2c,
    -r

btw, for all of you who don't really know if the full leather is worth it, i must say that the full leather dashboard is definitely a winner. anyone who first get's into my car, pulls their hand over the frensh stitching on the dahs and say, WOW! :-0

i actually own a arctic silver 997s ,its very nice ,good resale value,and everything ..but i am sooo tired of silver , i am waiting for my guards red 997..i think its the sportiest color , while silver and black are "classy" colors..

Quote:
    crayphile said:
    Quote:
    med said:

Where they Basalt Black or non metallic Black?

Basalt black and they were parked next to a silver 997 which just looked plain in comparison...problem is swirl marks, stone chips and keeping black looking good all the time, but after seeing the cars I recon it will be worth the effort. Only shame is that I really wanted to order the coco leather interior which won't work visually with black, real shame.

i think cocoa works best with silver

Quote:
    trice said:

Like mine?

like it? i love it. just confirms my pick of getting lapis blue, thanks for posting.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    766910 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437866 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261592 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258542 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    83096 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5342 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877943 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    810574 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM