Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

Thanks for taking the time to write that, very interesting kiss

Just a thought re your pal with the aftermarket loud Merc, if it has mufflers he could get them opened up and repacked with sound deadening material, wire wool or whatever they use, I had mine in my 997 GT2 re done after 20K odd miles. They may also be able to alter the internals of the muffler eg using perforated pipe rather then straight through I had this done and it all helped, I realise this is against the TUV cert etc but any internal mods should be totally undetectable from the outside.

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

Interesting story. Good times... mail

Looks like totalitarism is making a comeback in Europe angry

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Just before ICE vehicles are banned altogether in favour of EVs, the last ICE car built will be a sports car, as predicted by Ferry Porsche, to behold and cherish as a reminder of the good times of Automobility. heart

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

TB993tt:

Thanks for taking the time to write that, very interesting kiss

Sorry about that...I know...too much...but I was very upset. Smiley

Just a thought re your pal with the aftermarket loud Merc, if it has mufflers he could get them opened up and repacked with sound deadening material, wire wool or whatever they use, I had mine in my 997 GT2 re done after 20K odd miles. They may also be able to alter the internals of the muffler eg using perforated pipe rather then straight through I had this done and it all helped, I realise this is against the TUV cert etc but any internal mods should be totally undetectable from the outside.

His dealership will take care of this, they sold him the exhaust but I really don't know what they can (legally) do. We'll see...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Carlos from Spain:

Looks like totalitarism is making a comeback in Europe angry

Totalitarism of the people I'm afraid...the police isn't acting because they like it, they are acting because they people want them to act. I get it when they stop and punish illegal racers but fining someone 50 EUR because he just accelerated a bit (within the legal speed limit!!!)? C'mon, they cannot be serious. Revving the engine at the stop light, I get it if they give a fine but if they want the cars to be completely quiet, they should forbid all cars and be done with it.

It is ridiculous to own a car which produces (legally) a lot of sound and you have to be careful not to get a ticket because it is too loud. Smiley I think there is something wrong here. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

reginos:

Just before ICE vehicles are banned altogether in favour of EVs, the last ICE car built will be a sports car, as predicted by Ferry Porsche, to behold and cherish as a reminder of the good times of Automobility. heart

Was just thinking about that quite a few days ago too.  Also recalled that Ferry Porsche died on the very day when 911 production switched from air cooled to water cooled with the then new 996.   Then Ferdinand Piëch dies just before the reveal of the Porsche Taycan and Volkswagen ID.3.  What a weird coincidence.  

To use my son's words: I won't drive an EV. Period.

Good luck for him.   angry

--

JR-550:

Watched an episode of Shmee the other day. In this episode he was talking about car cost. The remarks on McLaren surprised me, since he always very positive on cars. He was talking about extended warranty for his 675LT. He claims the McLaren’s are very bespoken cars with a consequence there are repairs to be expected. So, he advices a prolongation the warranty but this cost app 8000 Euro for two years. I do not own a McLaren, but I wonder is it really so that the McLaren cars are so fragile and the repairs are so expenses? This must be the main reason why the deprecation is so high on these cars.

The reason is actually because they changed the car literally like every 12-18 months. The moment you placed a deposit on a car the new one is already around the corner. 

Secondly the car is carbon tub-ed, so repair is going to be ultra expensive if it can be repaired in the first place. A lot of the parts are also lightweight material and are more fragile. The engine is also highly stressed so extended warranty would be a wise choice, fixing such an engine isn't going to be cheap. They are also still considered a low production car, so parts aren't being made in great numbers to spread the cost. 

--

RC:

None of the (bi)turbo charged cars I drove so far come even close to the throttle response of the Performante. This is one of the reasons why I got this car. So far, the Ferrari 488 seems to have the best throttle response and best sound for a turbo charged car, at least compared to any McLaren model I have driven (I haven't driven the Senna or the 600LT...only in it).

Don't get me wrong: I think the 720S is an excellent offer from McLaren but I just cannot enjoy turbo charged cars anymore. Even my E63 S, which has a pretty good throttle response in Sport+ and Race mode, annoys me. Once you are spoiled by a n/a sport engine, it is difficult to go back. 

I still have hopes for the new hybrids showing up: A guy I know from Porsche told me that with the hybrid, the Turbo S (not sure if he means the one coming soon or the facelift) will have an amazing throttle response for a biturbo charged car, no lag at all (not that I haven't this before). I am pretty sure that with advancing technology and software programming, turbo lags will be a thing of the past at some point.

Sound? Well, different story and yes, we have restrictive laws in Germany and it is getting worse and worse.

You want to know how absurd this is? Example: My Performante has 94 dB in the car document. So far, so good. We all know that this is bullshit and the car produces more than 120 dB in reality. Now almost two weeks ago, I was together with a few buddies on a short trip to Garmisch, near Austria. Police had set up a checkpoint where they controlled motorcycles.

Unfortunately for us, one of my buddies had to fully accelerate in front of the police officers and...of course...they stopped us all (four cars). One of the cars was a C63 S (pre-facelift) with an aftermarket exhaust. This exhaust is legal, the owner had all documentation with him. Maximum noise: 92 dB. Measured noise (police): 99 dB. Tolerance error is 5 dB, meaning his car had 93 dB, one(!) dB too loud.

Consequence: No fine but my friend has to "fix" it and present the fixed car for a new measurement. We all had no clue how he can fix it because the exhaust was original, nothing modified and everything was OK. The police officer didn't care. He suspected maybe wear (exhaust was already over 15000 km "old") but how can you fix such a thing? 

Then, they measured my car. 94 dB in the papers, measurement in Strada mode (standard mode, they are not supposed to change any OEM driving programs). Result: 101 dB. This means 2 dB too loud. Consequence: None. They checked my car for any mods, couldn't find any. One of the police officers said that they know the Performante (he knew the precise car model, not just Huracan!) is much louder in the sportier driving programs but I am actually not permitted to be louder than what is in the papers. Funny laws. Now my friend made a complaint (stupid): "Why is the Lambo louder and I don't have to do anything and he has to go to "fix" it?" The answer of the police officer caused some big laughs: "The Lamborghini can be louder, your car not".  yes

So in the end, the police officer explained it a little bit better: The Lambo is loud from the factory, meaning that they cannot do anything about it other than to ask me to drive "less loud" and yes, they can fine me for driving too "loud" and it is in their judgement to tell if I was too loud or not. He basically told us that nowadays judges at court almost in 99% of the cases rule against loud acceleration or whatever, so you have ZERO chance to fight this in court. I believed him because I know how sensitive people are now when it comes to noise.
    The Mercedes is a different story because it has an aftermarket exhaust. The aftermarket exhaust is not an original part and even if it has a legal certification, it needs to fulfill the values in the document. If it doesn't, they can ask for the removal of that part and there is nothing you can do about it. Funny (or not).

Yes, "great times" for sports car lovers ...not only in Germany. It is my understanding that the same laws and rulings apply in many other countries as well, little by little.

Another friend has been fined 50 EUR a couple of weeks ago. What did he do? He accelerated from a stop light and created too much noise (according to a police officer following him). I'm not kidding. He wasn't driving too fast, he didn't endanger anyone. The police officer just told him that locals are fed up with people making too much noise in he city. That friend drives a Challenger Hellcat with OEM exhaust, so you can imagine it wasn't extremely loud. yes

Sports cars like ours are a dying breed I'm afraid. At some point, there will be EV sports cars and some of their drivers will drive like nut jobs in the cities but nobody will actually notice because these EV sports cars will be super quiet. Wonderful new world. 

Yes there is literally no 'lag' in my Panamera. The electric motor really do wonders to 'fill-in' while the turbo is spooling up. Electric torque masked the initial 1/2 second of spool up time. 

--

Whoopsy, did you not order a 600 LT?

Josef:

Whoopsy, did you not order a 600 LT?

initially I did. Then I moved it to the 600LT Spider. 

Then I canceled. Decided not to play this stupid game until they stabilize their schedule.

It's just stupid. 

--

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Did someone else order the 600 LT. I would be really interested in real life experience and reviews. I think it is currently the best thing from McLaren and it looks great imo.

If pricing is factored in, it is. If not, then the 720S hands down

--

Josef:

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Did someone else order the 600 LT. I would be really interested in real life experience and reviews. I think it is currently the best thing from McLaren and it looks great imo.

The best thing from McLaren is the 720S. Period. The 600LT was supposed to the a more affordable track oriented version but in the end, well...check out Vehicle Virgins experience with the car. Now he seems to want to tune it extensively. 

Some dealers have good offers for the 600LT though and while it is no 720S in straight line performance, it still is a very nice car and it even sounds better than the 720S. I would get a slightly used one at a substantial price reduction (if you can get one).

Or get the 720S...

--

The 720 is certainly a great car, no doubt. Lets see how the market evolves.

An oldie but worth a read

https://www.menshealth.com/technology-gear/a26990660/mclaren-supercar-crash-safety/

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

McLaren BC-03

Inspired by McLaren Ultimate Vision GT
    1150 hp
    Only 5 examples will be produced

Now everyone can waiter the upcoming Spider version.

After that the GTR version.

Oh wait, forgot the LT and LT spider models in between. 

--

It might be fast - but the design Smiley

Is that the Speedtail?

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:

Is that the Speedtail?

Yes, it is.

MKSGR:

It might be fast - but the design Smiley

Reminiscent of a larger version of the Volkswagen XL1.

--

Literally the 720S is the best performance bargain right now. Just a blink of an eye slower than the 918 and faster than a P1 already.

While that one is running on stickier tires than stock, even with stock tires it won't be that much slower.

But the 918 though, holy, it's just a regular version and not Weissach but literally laying down 9 seconds runs all day. Every run is quicker than the 720S. Think they did back to backs so not much time for the McLaren to cool down.

--

Oh one more thing. Mclaren have more stuff coming out soon.

One sits above the 600LT. If anyone got 600LT, now is the time to sell and order that before the price start dropping.

Not announced yet, but dealers are already taking deposits.

--

Best run:

918: 9.97s @ 142.96Mph(230.07Km/h)
    720: 10.04s @ 140.11Mph(225.49Km/h)

BTW, replacing the battery on the 918 really costs 240k? Smiley

Whoopsy:

Oh one more thing. Mclaren have more stuff coming out soon.

One sits above the 600LT. If anyone got 600LT, now is the time to sell and order that before the price start dropping.

Not announced yet, but dealers are already taking deposits. 

Something above the 600LT already? Smiley

Man, they‘re changing their models way too fast. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Topspeed:

Best run:

918: 9.97s @ 142.96Mph(230.07Km/h)
    720: 10.04s @ 140.11Mph(225.49Km/h)

BTW, replacing the battery on the 918 really costs 240k? Smiley

Well no one has done that yet outside of warranty.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM