Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Nürburgring - Tesla vs. Taycan

Hi all!

Time table for Tesla at Nürburgring: Tesla arrived at Nürburgring already ... with own Diesel generator to power the 2 Teslas ... on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R Smiley

- Tesla stays 3 weeks at Nürburgring Smiley

- First bigger testing on September 18th

- 2 hours on Saturday 21st : Ring blocked for Tesla only

- Wednesday 25th : 5 p.m. : blocked again for Tesla

Source: German Auto-Motor-Sport 

--

-----------------------------------

Re: Nürburgring - Tesla vs. Taycan

Let the fun begin!

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

They are really resorting putting Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R on a sedan to do the lap?... confidence level 0 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Brilliant news. 

He's also namedropping a random corner to make it seem they're properly preparing:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1171667813217517569

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

I hope the Tesla drivers won't hurt themselves Smiley At least they should bring along a sufficient number of fire exhausters Smiley

I read somewhere Nico Rosberg will be piloting the car.

Porker:

He's also namedropping a random corner to make it seem they're properly preparing:

Elon Musk is now a NRing pro when he probably never heard of it until 2 weeks ago 

The replies to the tweet are also priceless Smiley

--

Porker:

Brilliant news. 

Smiley

Flugplatz and a couple other sections were resurfaced months ago. The bump is smoother now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUFNPJYTuxQ

I think the karussel is more dangerous. Hopefully the car exists the corner in one piece Smiley

ha:

I read somewhere Nico Rosberg will be piloting the car.

Correct. Rosberg reached out to Musk. Apparently they have had prior interaction other matters.

--

Assume most people are stupid and hope they surprise you.

Porker:

Brilliant news. 

Flugplatz has been totally resurfaced and is quite safe now (in NRing terms) Smiley

Maybe he mentioned an early corner, because he thinks the car may be out of juice or overheated by the later ones 

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Sidney:

Hi all!

Time table for Tesla at Nürburgring: Tesla arrived at Nürburgring already ... with own Diesel generator to power the 2 Teslas ... on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R Smiley

Why did they bring 2 Teslas? 

boytronic:
    Sidney:

Hi all!

Why did they bring 2 Teslas? 

Because they needs two in relay to be able to do one full lap without going into limp modeSmiley

--

I'm thinking this is all due to a simple confusion, when Musk read that the Taycan set the world nurburgring record for an EV sedan, he had to google google nurburgring track to know what it was cause he never heard of it, and he mistook the 22km full track for the 5km F1 section and said "5km in 7:42? hold my beer" and went on twitter...  now he is grabbing Cup 2 R tires, "tunning" the car, and god knows what else to not completely embarrass himself smiley

--

Perharps he will use his secret weapon, Rocket Thursters blush

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1005577738332172289

Elon Musk

@elonmusk

SpaceX option package for new Tesla Roadster will include ~10 small rocket thrusters arranged seamlessly around car. These rocket engines dramatically improve acceleration, top speed, braking & cornering. Maybe they will even allow a Tesla to fly …

11:29 PM · 9 de jun de 2018·Twitter for iPhone

Carlos from Spain:

I'm thinking this is all due to a simple confusion, when Musk read that the Taycan set the world nurburgring record for an EV sedan, he had to google google nurburgring track to know what it was cause he never heard of it, and he mistook the 22km full track for the 5km F1 section and said "5km in 7:42? hold my beer" and went on twitter...  now he is grabbing Cup 2 R tires, "tunning" the car, and god knows what else to not completely embarrass himself smiley

Many in the cult are hoping that Musk and Tesla cheat for bragging rights but there is only so much that can be done to make the Model S perform.  Raven, for example, only changes the front machine to the Model 3 configuration, meaning that the rear machine is still susceptible to overheating.  The battery pack cannot be made any lighter otherwise the machines will underperform.  This was the reason why the performance variant of the Model S started with a 85 kWh battery pack and now sits at 100 kWh.  

The aerodynamics of the Model S, while a low drag configuration, is not optimized like that of the active aerodynamic surfaces found on the Taycan.  The Raven suspension is allegedly updated to include adaptive, dynamic performance; however, once again, Porsche has an entire suite of technologies starting with the integrated suspension controller starting with Porsche 4D-Chassis Control, PASM, PDCC sport, and PTV plus.  The rear electronic limited slip differential is similar to those found on other high performance Porsches.  The braking system features much larger carbon rotors with six piston calibers up front.  Even the contact tire patch of the Taycan is significantly greater than that of the Model S and that is before we discuss the addition of all-wheel steering.  

Not sure how much modification Tesla must perform to make the Model S even vaguely competitive with the times of the Taycan.  

Best all time replies to a tweet smiley

Our spies spotted a very aggressive-looking Tesla Model S P100D, complete with wide fenders, fat tires on lightweight wheels and reportedly a roll cage fitted, surrounded by a team of engineers on the Nurburgring.

Instead of the Weissach Package that must be the Fremont Package.  Article states that the other car actually has a clear plastic part taped onto the carbon fiber spoiler.  Continued amateur hour.  

CGX car nut:
    Carlos from Spain:

Many in the cult are hoping that Musk and Tesla cheat for bragging rights but there is only so much that can be done to make the Model S perform.  Raven, for example, only changes the front machine to the Model 3 configuration, meaning that the rear machine is still susceptible to overheating.  The battery pack cannot be made any lighter otherwise the machines will underperform.  This was the reason why the performance variant of the Model S started with a 85 kWh battery pack and now sits at 100 kWh.  

The aerodynamics of the Model S, while a low drag configuration, is not optimized like that of the active aerodynamic surfaces found on the Taycan.  The Raven suspension is allegedly updated to include adaptive, dynamic performance; however, once again, Porsche has an entire suite of technologies starting with the integrated suspension controller starting with Porsche 4D-Chassis Control, PASM, PDCC sport, and PTV plus.  The rear electronic limited slip differential is similar to those found on other high performance Porsches.  The braking system features much larger carbon rotors with six piston calibers up front.  Even the contact tire patch of the Taycan is significantly greater than that of the Model S and that is before we discuss the addition of all-wheel steering.  

Not sure how much modification Tesla must perform to make the Model S even vaguely competitive with the times of the Taycan.  

No way in this time frame that Tesla can dramatically change the Model S so I think we have to assume it will be a pretty “pure” run. Can’t see how they beat the Taycan but competition is always a good thing

Anyone on this forum smarter than Elon Musk yes or no - a binary question?

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2020 Porsche Mission E on order

Carlos from Spain:

Clarification from Tesla.  Looks like the red Model S is a prototype of the new Plaid+ performance configuration, originally said as part of the Roadster powertrain.  It could even be a three electric machine configuration.  The cars is also a chassis test platform so it is anyone’s guess what it may contain.   https://mobile.twitter.com/Tesla/status/1171953646898012160

EnglishManInNY: Yes, I believe that quite a few posters on RT equal or exceed the intelligence of Musk.  One has met him before during a business venture and wasn’t impressed.  Personal antecedents include degrees in engineering from top ten schools.  I was asked to stay on for a PhD, which I turned down.  A couple of years later, attended a top five business school known for its Nobel laureates.  Again, was asked to stay for the PhD program.  At that time, one had founded a software company, which was sold a couple of years later.  Also developed a small airplane that was commercialized and appeared at the Paris Air Show. One is most proud of that achievement.  Have also founded a couple of economic consulting firms and dabble in PE.  Silly me never moved to the Valley or NYC because of a desire to stay close to family.  

Musk’s initial success has allowed him to invest in companies, Tesla and SpaceX, where based on the controlling size of  the investment allowed him to ultimately gained control.  The Boring Company tunnel system and flamethrower, however, is pure Musk.  

EnglishManInNY:

Can I answer in a non-binary format? Judging by the comments on this thread, Elon Musk doesn’t even come close...

CGX car nut:

Instead of the Weissach Package that must be the Fremont Package.  Article states that the other car actually has a clear plastic part taped onto the carbon fiber spoiler.  Continued amateur hour.  

I don't usually look at panel gaps but those on that S are an eye soreangry

--

EnglishManInNY:

Define smarter.

For IQ scores I believed I scored higher.

For college dude penis score he is way ahead with Amber Heard.

For bank balance he wins. Well maybe abbot when his balance are basically collateral for Tesla.

For penis size I think it was a wash as I do believe he and I shared an ex girlfriend.

For logic I think I win,

For common sense I think I win too.

If we are actually talking about ego, he wins big time.

And if we are talking about cars, he also wins big time, he had a McLaren F1!!

--

Whoopsy:
    EnglishManInNY:

Define smarter.

For IQ scores I believed I scored higher.

For college dude penis score he is way ahead with Amber Heard.

For bank balance he wins. Well maybe abbot when his balance are basically collateral for Tesla.

For penis size I think it was a wash as I do believe he and I shared an ex girlfriend.

For logic I think I win,

For common sense I think I win too.

If we are actually talking about ego, he wins big time.

And if we are talking about cars, he also wins big time, he had a McLaren F1!!

Smiley SmileySmileySmiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

EnglishManInNY:

It's not about being smart, the fact that the Taycan is faster around nurbrugbring does not demerit the Model S in anyway, it wasn't designed for that, it was designed for other streghts, it has a great range, it is a LOT cheaper, it has autopilot for those that are into that, etc. so being slower around Porsche's backyard testing track does not say anything bad about the Model S. The GT2RS being faster than a Carrera cabrio does not mean anything.

The problem is an impuslsive egomaniac that is so used to feeding lies and exagerations to his teslarites that he believes his own BS to the point of creating such entertaining situaions as this. But like I said this is all about Musk, not the Model S, that is just collateral damage.

--

Actually, I admire Elon Musk. A lot. If people are dumb enough to believe everything he says, well... Smiley

I still believe that Tesla cars are amazing and fascinating, I also believe that the performance (straight line) is very impressive and competitive. The gadget feel of these cars is amazing as well, I said it before, I would definitely have one (or maybe a Taycan) in my garage if I could afford one next to my combustion engine cars. I can even imagine that I get an EV for my business at some point in the future.

For me personally, EVs are a nightmare. I do not enjoy them. Maybe they will offer something special in the future, something I can enjoy (for example a fully autonomous driving, so I can sleep in the car on a longer trip or just relax, playing a game or listening to music with my eyes closed, whatever) or maybe they will be able to fly Smiley at some point, I don't know but whenever I get in my E63 or my Performante, I know exactly why I do not want an EV. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

996FourEss:
    CGX car nut:

No way in this time frame that Tesla can dramatically change the Model S so I think we have to assume it will be a pretty “pure” run. Can’t see how they beat the Taycan but competition is always a good thing

Apparently the Model S they brought is far from stock,

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/11/tesla-model-s-p100d-spied-near-nurburgring/

Besides it semi slicks, rumored roll cage, etc it has a triple motor powertrain, which Musk calls Pliad in reference to spaceballs movie broken heart which won't be available until a year from now, which in Musk timeframes will actually be more like 3 or 4... if at all, but I bet he uses it to take deposits to finance the company like he had been doing with the Roadster for like 2 years now?

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1171965230127009793

--

Elon Musk: Yes. To be clear, Plaid powertrain is about a year away from production & applies to S,X & Roadster, but not 3 or Y. Will cost more than our current offerings, but less than competitors.

Interesting. Could be embarrassing though if this thing is slower than the Taycan Turbo S. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662034 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401146 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254588 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229161 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59515 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4378 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853484 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761789 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM