Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Welcome to the new Taycan Forum!

Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    Whoopsy:

1.29g acceleration, I believe that’s the highest any Porsche road car can do.

BTW this is from David Donohue, the ex PCNA 981 concierge. 

I did nearly the same (1.27g) in a 991.2 Turbo (non-S) on street tires with launch control at Nordschleife just after entrance gate (didn't realize it's forbidden).  Nick - your Exclusive series Turbo should be able to equal or beat the Taycan:

Best I got from the Exclusive is a 1.25g, slightly better than the 918. From memory The GT2RS will do a 1.22g. Panamera Turbo S did a 1.22g also. My old Cayenne Turbo S was at 1.10g or something.

Were your tires hot on the Exclusive?  I did mine during a day of lapping, so the tires were pretty sticky.

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    Whoopsy:

I did nearly the same (1.27g) in a 991.2 Turbo (non-S) on street tires with launch control at Nordschleife just after entrance gate (didn't realize it's forbidden).  Nick - your Exclusive series Turbo should be able to equal or beat the Taycan:

Best I got from the Exclusive is a 1.25g, slightly better than the 918. From memory The GT2RS will do a 1.22g. Panamera Turbo S did a 1.22g also. My old Cayenne Turbo S was at 1.10g or something.

Were your tires hot on the Exclusive?  I did mine during a day of lapping, so the tires were pretty sticky.

Hot enough, not quite track hot but good enough. Also on street pressure. So no special prep, just like how Porsche do it.

--

Leawood911:

Acceleration is a powerful drug. Keep in mind that electric motors kind of rule this domain (for which some cars have been accused of being a one trick pony). There are also plenty of cheaper cars on drag strips which can do this. Also I would hope a Porsche can turn corners exceptionally well. That is all about tires and suspension while the low center of gravity hands you a bonus.  For mere mortals who are not able or even allowed to buy the cars you mention there are, thankfully, fun alternatives.  For the money the Porsche does very well. Time will tell if it remains as competitive in the EV sports car world as in the ice sports car world. No reason why they should not. 
    I do think that these are the numbers Porsche and the public expected else it would have gone not so well. Consumption is still a bit high. 

Yet no one cares still. The range is good enough. No one complaints their 911 goes less far than a Corolla.

--

Mostly because there is a giant speed difference between the 911 and the Corolla. It would be different if the Corolla was fractions of a second slower. Then the price based on the interior and Porsche- ness would be harder to justify.  Perhaps you agree. 

Leawood911:

Mostly because there is a giant speed difference between the 911 and the Corolla. It would be different if the Corolla was fractions of a second slower. Then the price based on the interior and Porsche- ness would be harder to justify.  Perhaps you agree. 

You missed the point.

Corolla and 911 are in completely different segment and price category. Not comparable.

Just like any Tesla when compared with Porsche, completely different price category and segment. 

And if you want to talk about price, A Mercedes Maybach is just about on par with Rolls Royce Ghost with material used and interior, yet no one really cross shop them either. The Maybach is faster and cheaper too, but the buyers of the Rolls Royce don't care, they pay more for the badge and what that badge stands for. 

It's brand pricing power. Like Starbucks. There are many alternatives, either cheaper and/or better coffee, yet Starbuck can still command the price premium. 

Acer used to make laptops under the Ferrari license and command a premium over the OEM version, yet there are no shortage of buyers. They would go for the Ferrari brand name vs a cheaper and faster regular Acer laptop.

--

I get the point. Porsche will not sell very many and don’t expect to - i.e they are not competing with Tesla. Let me propose that if the VW EV does not seriously improve efficiency it will not do well. In that segment all cards are on the table. 

Tesla is the one who should be worried about the competition that's about to enter the market.

They were running solo...until now.

Porsche kindly sent me a 1/43 white sculpture of a taycan. Anyone else get one?

--

Tesla Model S P100d & Model X P90D & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. Tesla Model 3 Performance on order. 

Topspeed:

Tesla is the one who should be worried about the competition that's about to enter the market.

They were running solo...until now.

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

heres-why-the-porsche-taycan-turbos-epa-range-is-so-bad-1840444842

--

Having everything is nice, but it's even nicer to make sure everything you've got is actually worth having.

Whoopsy:
    W8MM:
    Whoopsy:

I don't remember anything over 1.0g from pressing the gas pedal in my 918.

Don't quite have the screen shot handy, but on Launch Control a 918 will do 1.24g.

Don't make fun of me, but I have never tried Launch Control in the 918.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

sorry if repost...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDoI16RmxqQ

Had the opportunity to drive the Taycan Turbo S on track and on l B roads in Portugal, spent few hours in it . The car is truly amazing. Besides the staggering acceleration , what impressed me the most was the handling of the car: the steering and chassis do magics in hiding the massive weight of the car. Only on the track one would feel the weight of the car when entering the slower corners. Another great is the sitting position, I think one of the very best in the modern Porsches, maybe even better than on the 992, the dashboard sits a bit lower the front A pillars are not interfering with the front visibility and one sees clearly the pronounced two front fenders (like in the older 911s).   

What I did not like , but this is due to my local perspective , are the charging infrastructure limitations, services that obviously will be available for the most advanced / important markets first . In Czech Republic , this won`t happen that soon.  Great car in its own but needs a developed ecosystem.

1t.jpg

2t.jpg

3t.jpg

Thanks for the report wink

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Will you buy one?

--

Having everything is nice, but it's even nicer to make sure everything you've got is actually worth having.

Thanks. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

nberry:

Will you buy one?

Without the infrastructure to operate the vehicle I am not inetrested in it . Once this becomes available and permits to drive wherever and whenever without planning then I will definitely buy one.  The Taycan is really good. 

Taycan Turbo S:

World Exclusive 1st test in the new issue of Auto Motor und Sport!

• Weight: 2365 kg (full of fluids, without driver)
    • 0-40 km/h: 0,9 s
    • 0-100 km/h: 2,8 s
    • 0-200 km/h: 10,4 s
    • 0-240 km/h: 16,2 s
    • Quarter mile: 10,8 s (204 km/h)
    • 100-0 km/h (cold): 32,9 m
    • 18 m slalom (PSM ON/OFF): 68,4/68,6 km/h
    • 110 m evasive test (PSM ON/OFF): 139,4/143,0 km/h

"Extremely dynamic, comfortable and safe."
    Final rating: 5/5 stars.

AMS - "Bad in the USA - and with us?"

Taycan vs. Tesla - ranges and consumption in comparison

model Tesla Model S P100 LR Porsche Taycan Turbo Difference (Taycan = 100 percent)
    Max. WLTP Range 610 km 450 km 36%
    EPA Range 373 mls (600 km) 201 mls (323 km) 85%
    NEDC 18.9 kWh / 100 km 26 kWh / 100 km 27%

(...)A consumption measurement was no longer useful.  But the Taycan Turbo S was able to test its NEDC consumption (26.9 kWh / 100 km) in the first test (auto motor und sport 01/2020 , from December 19 https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=de&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=...here in the shop or at the kiosk), which was economical, but in winter Even undercut the Eco lap on public roads with 22.7 kWh / 100 km.  The matching range (415 kilometers) tops the comparatively realistic WLTP value (388 to 412 km).   Mind you: auto motor und sport tested the Taycan Turbo S. For the  Turbo, Porsche mentions a WLTP value of 381 to 450 kilometers.   In sports driver consumption of auto motor and sport, driven much  faster than most US customers should be allowed, the Taycan Turbo S  pulled 43.8 kWh / 100 km.   That would correspond to a range of 215 kilometers - a value that could  also apply to similarly powerful, rapidly moving combustion engines.   In the same discipline, a Tesla Model X in the long range version  consumed 49.5 kWh / 100 km in a comparison test of electric SUVs.(...)

Sat in a taycan turbo s today. Number of surprises. It’s so small. Like a BMW 3 series. Second the interior quality didn’t seem that great. no surprise it’s f expensive. I refuse to get one due to the price. I am sure it’s awesome to drive. But with a v limited range. 

--

Tesla Model S P100d & Model X P90D & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. Tesla Model 3 Performance on order. 

Had an opportunity to see both the Turbo and Turbo S at my dealer. They also had a Panamera displayed in the showroom. But for the front end lights of the Taycan, the Panamera look much better. The side silhouette of the Taycan is plan ugly. It's no wonder in the Forbes review of the Taycan, the reviewer wrote that no one noticed it was a new car for Porsche. She drove for several hours and not one person acknowledged the car.

The Taycan needs to be white with the white wheels. Otherwise, it is very pedestrian in styling and won't get much attention. Of course there will be those that are only concerned with performance and no doubt the Taycan delivers. But at what cost? It will be viewed technologically deficient in a couple of years.

--

096F1EA4-F20F-43B8-9FAE-516D2C7343E3.jpegIt’s tech deficient to a model 3 right now. Lol. For those of you who have seen and driven the Taycan I dare you drive a model3 performance. That is the car they should compare to. Not the S. The next S will humiliate the Porsche. Just my hilarious two cents. Waiting for the comments.  

Here we go again...heart

Wonderbar:

Here we go again...heart

Haha Smiley

Nah. 18-24 months worth of buyers are already lining up for their Taycan, whatever cancellations there are, those have been taken up by new buyers and more for the performance aspect. As it stands, the Taycan is already a success, it is a proper Porsche after all.

--

nberry:

Had an opportunity to see both the Turbo and Turbo S at my dealer. They also had a Panamera displayed in the showroom. But for the front end lights of the Taycan, the Panamera look much better. The side silhouette of the Taycan is plan ugly. It's no wonder in the Forbes review of the Taycan, the reviewer wrote that no one noticed it was a new car for Porsche. She drove for several hours and not one person acknowledged the car.

The Taycan needs to be white with the white wheels. Otherwise, it is very pedestrian in styling and won't get much attention. Of course there will be those that are only concerned with performance and no doubt the Taycan delivers. But at what cost? It will be viewed technologically deficient in a couple of years.

That's always been the case with Porsche. Even with the RS models big wing, normal people take one look and says it's just another Porsche with a boy racer wing.

As for the technology deficit, not sure if that's valid. Taycan is on next generation 800V system, while Tesla is still stuck on last gen 400V. Eventually Tesla will have to move onto 800V, they just about maxed out the 400V system now. They can't really squeeze much more out of a 400V charging system. Also, sooner or later they will also need to change to the industry standard charging plug, since everyone else is already on that and they are the only one on their own proprietary plug, no one else is jumping onboard to joint them.

it actually doesn't matter if the Tesla plug is superior to the standard plug, BetaMax was superior to VHS before too, but look which one died? (They both are dead now but BetaMax gave way to VHS for the longest time).

Imagine when Tesla change over, that will be a boom to EV adaption, all EV cars can use all kinds of chargers natively, without carrying a converter. Would be a nice way for Tesla to make some extra money charging others to use their Sueprcharger network too.

--

Wonderbar:

Here we go again...heart

Think I'm going to troll the watch thread with a photo of my Garmin smartwatch and compare it to a Rolex 

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Wonderbar:

Here we go again...heart

Think I'm going to troll the watch thread with a photo of my Garmin smartwatch and compare it to a Rolex 

I get that. But if Rolex got into the smart watch business with perhaps a GPS function would you not be tempted to compare it to the Garmin?  Troll, me?  Lol. Cheers

Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Wonderbar:

Here we go again...heart

I get that. But if Rolex got into the smart watch business with perhaps a GPS function would you not be tempted to compare it to the Garmin?  Troll, me?  Lol. Cheers

Not if the Rolex was made to Rolex standards, design and materials and my Garmin only had a longer battery and that it is a cheaper watch... Rolex buyers be laughin' lol Don't get me wrong I love my Garmin, best watch there is by far for my training/fitness needs, but its a 700€ watch...

--

This forum is getting predictable: Leawood who brings up his Tesla and Nberry talking about getting attention while driving. mail

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

indecision

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689536 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409215 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255732 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234985 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857957 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774019 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM