Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Welcome to the new Taycan Forum!

JR-550:

Good choice! I like to color a lot looks good on a Taycan, one more picture on the first dry day in weeks here in Belgium

IMG_0751.jpeg

I was never ever a silver guy. Of the past 60 or so cars I have bought, the Taycan is only the 2nd silver I bought, on purpose. The other was a CLK500 convertible that I was forced to buy in silver cause my first choice of a black car had wood panels inside and I hate that more. 

The dolomite silver grows on me everyday. 

--

Hamilton goes full electric… with Porsche!

"Mercedes' PR department will have likely frowned upon the sight of Lewis Hamilton cruising around Beverly Hills this week in a Porsche Taycan Turbo S.

But technically, the seven-time world champion isn't contracted to Mercedes, with the two parties still ironing out the details of their next deal together.

Hamilton, keeping safe while wearing a face mask, was spotted running a few errands in LA's posh shopping neighborhood on Rodeo Drive with his new set of wheels."

https://f1i.com/images/396722-hamilton-goes-full-electric-with-porsche.html

38951716-9230865-image-a-50_1612601515572.v1.jpg

Porsche Taycan 4S Cold Weather 70 MPH Range Test

Even in the worst conditions, the Taycan crushes its EPA range rating.

We picked one of the coldest days in New Jersey this winter to test out the highway range of a Porsche Taycan 4S when driven at a constant 70 mph. It was 14°F (-10°C) when we started out and for the majority of the drive, it was below 25°F (-4°C). To make matters worse, Porsche had just outfitted the vehicle with Pirelli P Zero mud & snow tires, which certainly wouldn't help the Taycan 4S maximize its range.

A few months ago when it was warmer, our own Kyle Conner conducted a similar 70-mph range test with a Taycan 4S and was able to drive it 278 miles before completely exhausting the battery.

However, this test was going to be much tougher for the Taycan. It's well documented that EVs cannot drive as far when it's cold as they can in warmer conditions. Our goal was to conduct a 70-mph range test in the coldest conditions we could. So we requested the Taycan 4S in early February, which is historically the coldest time of the year in New Jersey where we would be doing the range test.

We cold-soaked the car outside overnight where the temperature was 8° to 10°F (-13° to -12°C) so the battery was completely cold by early morning when we headed out.

State of Charge Miles Driven Est Remaining Range Driven + Remaining Avg mi/kWh (Display)
    100% 0 220 220 ---

75%

56 170 226 2.56 mi/kWh
    50% 113 115 228 2.53 mi/kWh
    25% 165 55 220 2.53 mi/kWh
    3% 207 6 213 2.53 mi/kWh

The Taycan 4S handled the cold weather like a champ and finished up with 213 miles of range in these most unfavorable driving range conditions. Even in the cold weather, driving on snow tires at 70-mph, the Taycan 4S beat its EPA range rating by 10 miles.

There's simply no other EV available today that can achieve that. Normally, most electric vehicles can expect to get somewhere between 70% and 80% of their EPA-range rating when driven in these conditions, but the Taycan 4S achieved 105%.

It's been not quite that cold here in Cincinnati, but close enough the last weeks.

I'm getting almost exactly the same watt-hours/mile consumption as the article records.

My estimated range at 90% charge has been 208-ish which translates to 230 miles @ 100%.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Taycan Turbo + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

That’s good to hear and another sign that the Porsche was tested and developed before being released to the customer. 

CGX car nut:

That’s good to hear and another sign that the Porsche was tested and developed before being released to the customer. 

It is very cold here and my Model3 barely made it the 160 miles to the lake - with 45 miles to spare. 
    I did let it drive itself which uses a bit of extra power for the computers and I let it run at close to 80 most of the way.  Speed was likely a bigger contributor than the cold. But clearly it was much less range than in the warm weather. In a pinch I could have used seat heaters and turned the cabin temp down. Going slower in addition - speed limit (shit) - would have also added significant range. Same with the new heat pump - maybe. I’m concerned that it might not be strong enough to defrost a n really cold days. 

your conclusions is priceless. As though Porsche has never released a model with flaws. 10’s of thousands of dollars of repairs out of my checkbook over the decades makes me doubt that.
     No you can’t have my Tesla referral code no matter how often you ask. Lol. 

Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

It is very cold here and my Model3 barely made it the 160 miles to the lake - with 45 miles to spare. 
    I did let it drive itself which uses a bit of extra power for the computers and I let it run at close to 80 most of the way.  Speed was likely a bigger contributor than the cold. But clearly it was much less range than in the warm weather. In a pinch I could have used seat heaters and turned the cabin temp down. Going slower in addition - speed limit (shit) - would have also added significant range. Same with the new heat pump - maybe. I’m concerned that it might not be strong enough to defrost a n really cold days. 

your conclusions is priceless. As though Porsche has never released a model with flaws. 10’s of thousands of dollars of repairs out of my checkbook over the decades makes me doubt that.

There you go again about how perfect your Model 3 is compared with your Porsche when the post was in response to Mike’s post on his Taycan experience.  This is why, once again, one finds you delusional.  The post had nothing to do with you or your vaunted Model 3.  

CGX car nut:
    Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

There you go again about how perfect your Model 3 is compared with your Porsche when the post was in response to Mike’s post on his Taycan experience.  This is why, once again, one finds you delusional.  The post had nothing to do with you or your vaunted Model 3.  

Okay.  Again. I don’t post fancy videos exclaiming the wonders of Tesla and in this case I posted that my 300 mile Tesla could only go max 200 in the cold.  Very much in line with what Mike posted.  Again an honest attempt on my part to give facts and this this case one would need to be pretty jaded and bias toward my writing to imagine I was praising my car.  Get a grip buddy - read my post Smiley

It seems it does not matter what I write. It is an invitation to somehow act superior on your part. Smiley

Summary of what I wrote - maybe you can only see praise ?

Range was terrible vs advertised in the cold. 

must drive the speed limit

Need to keep the car interior temp cold to save power

Car takes extra power when self driving 

Not certain if the new heat pump has enough power to defrost on a cold day. 

So while you make replies to my post which seem odd you of course ignore my point that your conclusion that Tesla does not test their cars completely might also apply to Porsche and other automakers. It was a simple point. Maybe it was too logical as you went back into you personal attack tangent. Sad what we learn from the left. 

IMG_6051.PNG
    IMG_6050.PNG

Something interesting when comparing my 2 EVs long term.

The e-Tron is coming up 10,000km, averaging 30.1kW/100km. The Taycan is at maybe 1/3 of that, 3600km, but only averaging 22.3kW/100km. 

Almost 26% better in efficiency. Both are pretty much on the same driving cycle as a city daily. No funny business like liftoff regen braking on either car also. Just straight normal driving. I drive either down to maybe 20-25% before I charge them. Pretty much used them like normal cars, I fill up when it's almost empty so the batteries are getting regular exercises for it's SoC.

--

You could virtually substitute the km with miles to see the Tesla efficiency. I love how liftoff regen braking is funny business.  

I have found that the EV is very sensitive to how it is driven. In the city with a very light throttle it get huge miles per kWh.  If I drive it the way I prefer - flat out - it sucks power like mad.  Surprising the Audi is less efficient as I would assume you drive the Porsche faster.  Good specs!

Leawood911:

You could virtually substitute the km with miles to see the Tesla efficiency. I love how liftoff regen braking is funny business.  

I have found that the EV is very sensitive to how it is driven. In the city with a very light throttle it get huge miles per kWh.  If I drive it the way I prefer - flat out - it sucks power like mad.  Surprising the Audi is less efficient as I would assume you drive the Porsche faster.  Good specs!

And a Corolla is more efficient than a S-Class..........Different category of cars so comparisons are pointless.

e-Tron and Taycan are in the luxury class, they were never designed to be the most efficient in the first place anyways.

Anyways, don't mistake city driving is 'mild'. From rest, I have a certain expectation of acceleration Gs, namely ~0.3G, easier to get to that in the Taycan, but needed a bigger throttle application to get to that in the Audi, power graphs tells me it needs ~60ish% of power to get to that level of acceleration. 

Taycan has a more slippery profile, also a more efficient 800V system as compared to the last generation 400V system in the Audi.  

As a EV, the e-Tron is good enough. maybe it's the worst in efficiency and runs on last generation 400V system, but it does charge up faster on fast chargers.

But as a 'car', it's great. Drives nice, roomy enough for people and cargo and power is more than good enough.

Taycan as a EV is amazing, with cutting edge EV tech that's not equal until the Audi e-Tron GT hits the market. As a car though, while it has amazing handling and borderline great power even in 4S trim, it trails the Panamera in pretty much everything on car metric, not enough cargo room and barely enough passenger room.

Got another 18 months or so on the lease for the e-Tron, if there isn't a better EV SUV on the market, I am tempted to trade both in for a Taycan Cross Turismo. Possibly in turbo trim. Can't go back to dinosaur-era 400V system for EVs now that I have been spoiled by the 800V Taycan.

--

I can’t think of a more obscure benefit (800volt vs 400volt).  I prefer better autopilot over voltage.  Sure hope the EV Corolla never comes out with 800 volt or your claim to fame will look ordinary.  
    But yes - the Taycan is a great EV!

I've been driving the Taycan 4S and I am very impressed. Smooth, quiet and comfortable. If I was in the sedan market, it would be the car I would consider. That said, I still believe my RR at half the cost is the one to have.kiss

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

Leawood911:

I can’t think of a more obscure benefit (800volt vs 400volt).  I prefer better autopilot over voltage.  Sure hope the EV Corolla never comes out with 800 volt or your claim to fame will look ordinary.  

800V is the future, so I would not be surprised if a EV Corolla will be a 800V car. Like, do you see any new cars with carburetors?

Autopilot is like bras or tampons to me, I have absolutely no use for it. I do not use cruise control, period. 800V system however, benefits me every time I drive the car. Higher voltage means thinner wires on the car, which means it weights less. 

--

It’s quite telling that the ex-Tesla gang at Lucid Motors is using a 900V architecture instead of aping Tesla’s 400V platform. Outside of the traditional automakers, Lucid has the most auto industry experienced management team with Rawlinson as CEO, ex-Lotus, and Hochholdinger, ex-Audi, at manufacturing.  These guys make things happen without spewing “First Principles” bromides. 

CGX car nut:

It’s quite telling that the ex-Tesla gang at Lucid Motors is using a 900V architecture instead of aping Tesla’s 400V platform. Outside of the traditional automakers, Lucid has the most auto industry experienced management team with Rawlinson as CEO, ex-Lotus, and Hochholdinger, ex-Audi, at manufacturing.  These guys make things happen without spewing “First Principles” bromides. 

Why not 1000 volts?

Tesla is only good if it’s ex-Tesla    Oh and First Principles is bad because Elon mentioned it  

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

800V is the future, so I would not be surprised if a EV Corolla will be a 800V car. Like, do you see any new cars with carburetors?

Autopilot is like bras or tampons to me, I have absolutely no use for it. I do not use cruise control, period. 800V system however, benefits me every time I drive the car. Higher voltage means thinner wires on the car, which means it weights less. 

I also never used cruise control because it was dumb and would just plow into shit if I fell asleep.  On the other hand autopilot is helpful and a true aid to safety and long distance travel. I use it constantly on the highway.  It comes for free with each Tesla. No need for full self driving, summon, or even auto lane change.  Comparing cruise control to autopilot is like comparing - wait for it - tampons to bras. 
    As a consumer I would be more impressed with 800 volts if the new plain model S did not have more range, speed and efficiency for 50% less money than the Taycan 4S.  Not to mention all the included features and tech Porsche will never have.  Is there something meaningful the Porsche can do the Tesla can’t?  Do you want to see the list of things the Porsche will never do?  Resale for one thing - lucky you are leasing. 
    Btw there are honest and valid reasons for why 400 volts has some advantages over higher voltages. It it s not black and white.  Would you care to list some disadvantages of 800 volt?  
    Of course analogies get tossed around wildly as always. Carburetor vs fuel injection vs direct injection. Of course. Everything fits an analogy.  
    Let’s go back to the Porsche being like the Hermès bag and the Tesla being the IKEA bag. This best illustrates how much sense the Porsche makes. It is awesome for conspicuous consumption. That is a fine argument and a valid one. This has nothing to do with assuming Porsche tech is advanced due to the use of 800 volts. 
    It is funny to imagine how many fans of self driving there will be on this forum if Porsche develops such a system. It will be the greatest thing ever - with Lidar of course. 

Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

Why not 1000 volts?

Tesla is only good if it’s ex-Tesla    Oh and First Principles is bad because Elon mentioned it  

You are so incredibly predictable with your responses and this is indicative of other latent issues.  You share the same utopian wishes and goals as every other diehard Tesla fanboy one has ever encountered.  As one has posted on numerous occasions, the best description of Musk is that he says exactly what a dumb person would think a smart person would say; this includes his constant rehashing of "First Principles."  It's virtually meaningless pablum that, unfortunately, satiates the uninitiated.  Musk is not much more than a, albeit now an incredibly rich, showman.

Lucid is using a 900 volt architecture versus a 1000 volts for several reasons.  First, is optimizing charging speeds while maintaining margins of safety with the 350 kW charging systems.  There's alway a cost-benefit analysis to determine maximum performance criterion and design factors under the demands of costing restraints.  

I know how to drive properly, why would I want to use cruise control or advanced version of cruise control like autopilot?

It doesn't matter if Porsche comes out with such a thing, I still won't use it or praise it. I am not just picking on Tesla btw, see my posts on the new GT3 and on 992 in general, been trashing them too. 

--

Whoopsy:

I know how to drive properly, why would I want to use cruise control or advanced version of cruise control like autopilot?

It doesn't matter if Porsche comes out with such a thing, I still won't use it or praise it. I am not just picking on Tesla btw, see my posts on the new GT3 and on 992 in general, been trashing them too. 

I know you are fair. No worries. I find autopilot a useful aid that’s all. 

CGX car nut:
    Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

Why not 1000 volts?

You are so incredibly predictable with your responses and this is indicative of other latent issues.  You share the same utopian wishes and goals as every other diehard Tesla fanboy one has ever encountered.  As one has posted on numerous occasions, the best description of Musk is that he says exactly what a dumb person would think a smart person would say; this includes his constant rehashing of "First Principles."  It's virtually meaningless pablum that, unfortunately, satiates the uninitiated.  Musk is not much more than a, albeit now an incredibly rich, showman.

Lucid is using a 900 volt architecture versus a 1000 volts for several reasons.  First, is optimizing charging speeds while maintaining margins of safety with the 350 kW charging systems.  There's alway a cost-benefit analysis to determine maximum performance criterion and design factors under the demands of costing restraints.  

And predictably you launched into mind reading and personal attacks. Let’s summarize - I have latent issues, I’m a tesla fanboy and I share their utopian goals and wishes OH and I’m dumb too because Elon used the term First Principles and I heard it and understood what he meant.  How do you make friends?  You get a lot from two sentences. Who has issues?  I did not praise Tesla at all this time. Read what I said. I asked why not 1000 volts - which you answered. And your answer can be used to answer for 400 volt as well as 800 or 900 volt. There are cost and safety trade offs. Volts don’t increase the amount of current you can stuff into the battery. But - Good for you. The rest is some type of issue for you to deal with not me. Cheers buddy.  
    Do count the number of times I patiently reply without personal attacks or mind reading. 

One vociferously suggest that you review your stream of conscious posts on Tesla.  You have defended the company when even when the position indefensible.

CGX car nut:

One vociferously suggest that you review your stream of conscious posts on Tesla.  You have defended the company when even when the position indefensible.

I appreciate your feedback but could you please be specific.  Just one example of where Tesla’s position was indefensible and yet I defended it.  
    Perhaps what I offered was a reasonable explanation or my opinion.  In a perfect but boring world we would all share the same thoughts and opinions.  Not much fun or learning in that though. 
    Another benefit of understanding someone’s perspective is learning how to communicate in a respectful tone even with those who are not in agreement.   
    Have a wonderful Friday tomorrow  Smiley

Whoopsy:

I fully agree and this doesn't even have anything to do with driving skills but driving...fun. I do not want my car to drive, I want to drive the car. Smiley Also, the current systems are crap in my opinion but I think we discussed this often enough.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

RC:
    Whoopsy:

I fully agree and this doesn't even have anything to do with driving skills but driving...fun. I do not want my car to drive, I want to drive the car. Smiley Also, the current systems are crap in my opinion but I think we discussed this often enough.

This will be the future manual vs automatic debate. While I am certainly a manual car guy I also understand that a car sometimes just needs to get me from one place to another safely and efficiently.  Going down I-70 across Kansas it helps a lot to let autopilot keep the speed and the car in the lane. There is nothing, I mean nothing, fun to do in these cases for hours on end. In fact it is dangerously boring.  
    Your mileage may vary. 
    btw my daughter got me a t-shirt for Christmas which said ‘Real cars don’t shift themselves!’  - proud of the fact that I don’t own a car which shifts itself. 

Would the next shirt reads "Real cars don't drive themselves!" 

--

Whoopsy:

Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

Smiley

Good one. Thought you guys would notice the Tesla also does not shift itself. 
    Time for a whole line of t-shirts dedicated to things you do manually. Smiley

How about   "Real men don't let their cars drive!"

964C2:

How about   "Real men don't let their cars drive!"

Little late to the party. 
    Of course you are correct but much of the time people use cars to get to where they are going. That’s all. 
    Imagine the following - have you ever had your car out of alignment and you needed to steer to keep it going straight?  No one here would argue that is fun or safe. 
    In the future - hang on here - having a car which does not keep in the center of a winding road will feel like that car which was out of alignment years ago.  
    This is bound to happen. You can still drive your cars when you feel like it but if you choose not to and add safety you can and often will. No different than getting your car aligned. In the future.  I’m not guessing. It is certainly going to happen. 
    Sadly I don’t see unlimited Autobahns in the future.  Maybe they will return with full autonomy but then it is the far setting the speed so who would enjoy that?  

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689902 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409413 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255825 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235065 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65577 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858161 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774266 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM