Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Welcome to the new Taycan Forum!

Whoopsy:

You should try Roma's Burger Smiley

Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S;  2019 Speedster

Targa Tim:
    Whoopsy:

You should try Roma's Burger Smiley

Smiley

A bit more expensive than McDonald's but less expensive than at Hawksworth 

Sort of like Porsche, in between Tesla and Ferraris. Smiley

--

https://insideevs.com/reviews/443791/ev-range-test-results/

So Taycan is like the only one exceeding the EPA rated range in the real world. All Teslas fall well short of the rated range.

But then again not really surprised when EPA's standard is to get to 60mph from rest in 18 seconds. Most cars already reached their top speed after 18 seconds.............

Someone need to tell EPA to WAKE THE F UP and realize they are in the 21st century already.
    --

Targa Tim:
    Whoopsy:

But seriously, internet people need to stop trying to compare Teslas up to the Porsche. They occupy completely different segment of the market, no one cross shop between them, like no one cross shop a Rolls Royce with a Toyota or even BMW. Performance difference, fuel economy difference, range difference make absolutely no difference to the buying decision. Tesla is happy occupying the mainstream segment, and Porsche is very happy staying at the very top of the EV segment for the time being, they can co-exist happily. Yes there maybe a small fraction of Tesla owners that wanted a more luxurious interior, or a better brand, or a faster car and trade up to a Taycan, but that's not representative of the whole Tesla owner community, so that's nothing to worry about. Some people prefer to have more range in a EV car, or more value for their buck and stay with Tesla, that's ok too, it's a free market after all. 

This is well written Nick.

I am also sick of all these Tesla vs Porsche comparison.

I have a few friends that love their Tesla.  I am happy for them, but I will never get one.  Well, other than Porsche, and an incoming Roma, I do not buy any other brands.  This does not mean I hate them or they are inferior.

I sometimes eat McDonald and always enjoy my Big Mac there, great value, made me full.  But I will never compare it to what I eat at the steakhouse.  They don't compare with each other, and these restaurants don't really care about each other.  I don't know why their customers should argue and compare.

Smiley I decided against any EV I had in mind because sooner or later, I will be "forced" to drive an EV, so why do it now? Smiley I was open to any EV brand, Tesla, Porsche, Audi but decided it makes no sense to me. They are fast, the Tesla 3 Performance is a bargain, the Porsche Taycan Turbo S an acceleration monster and beautiful but I will have all the time in the world to enjoy EVs when I actually have to drive them. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Tuesday that electricity consumption will double if the world’s car fleets are electrified, increasing the need to expand nuclear, solar, geothermal and wind energy generating sources.

Increasing the availability of sustainable energy is a major challenge as cars move from combustion engines to battery-driven electric motors, a shift which will take two decades, Musk said in a talk hosted by Berlin-based publisher Axel Springer.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/bryan-preston/2020/12/01/musk-electric-cars-will-require-a-lot-more-electric-power-than-we-currently-have-n1183962

Spyderidol:

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Tuesday that electricity consumption will double if the world’s car fleets are electrified, increasing the need to expand nuclear, solar, geothermal and wind energy generating sources.

Increasing the availability of sustainable energy is a major challenge as cars move from combustion engines to battery-driven electric motors, a shift which will take two decades, Musk said in a talk hosted by Berlin-based publisher Axel Springer.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/bryan-preston/2020/12/01/musk-electric-cars-will-require-a-lot-more-electric-power-than-we-currently-have-n1183962

Hmm, didn't someone somewhere claimed that this is BS? That all EV cars are charged at home and doesn't need extra electricity? Smiley

--

But speaking of charging at home and extra electricity, have you spent any time digging into the situation in your home province wrt electrical capacity?  I had read a while back that Bc Hydro's claims of lots of excess capacity are premised on all sorts of demand destruction success...ie. convincing people to sign contracts that let the utility cut your unnecessary power use like baseboards heat or hot water.  Of course conservation is part of this.  All sounded a bit pie in the sky, and if their assumptions don't hold, BC would have very little extra electricity over the next 5-10 years, in a self sufficiency scenario (ie without buying power from neighbors). 

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

Whoopsy:
    Spyderidol:

Hmm, didn't someone somewhere claimed that this is BS? That all EV cars are charged at home and doesn't need extra electricity? Smiley

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

RC:
    Whoopsy:
    Spyderidol:

Smiley

Of course no personal attacks. How do you get around without reading?  How many times did I mention that the batteries could be used as virtual power plants to help balance the peak loads.  You never even understood what I was writing.  Never did I say more electricity would not be needed - that would be stupid - but someone who was not actually reading would think this or somehow be delighted to ‘catch me’ saying something wrong. 
    Let me try and explain again.  By using the cars battery to store energy while power is not needed and then drawing on this during peaks you can balance out the load better and therefor peaker plants would not kick in so often. Do you understand this?  The discussion was about the grid breaking down due to electric cars and I pointed out an obvious way it could be stabilized using EV batteries.  Let me point out that this is exactly what the Tesla power wall is meant to do. Do you think Elon would agree with me or with you on that one? Quickly decide if Elon is an idiot or actually smart!  You use his article - lol. 
    Apologies not required. I’m sure I will be attacked for daring to explain again where you are wrong. It makes you feel good. Enjoy.  
    Lastly, do you suppose that a switch to more EV would accelerate the build out of more and cheaper power?  

Insulting everyone with sarcasm and passive aggressiveness in every one of your posts does little to get people to simpathize with you Leawood, most people will likely skip over your post after reading the first sentence. You sound like a fanatic.

I get it that it's frustrating trying to get a forum full of petrol heads who drive all sorts of amazing sportscars to drink the Tesla cool-aid but it is what it is, accept it and you will be happier, it won't affect your life the least bit what people here like or think, and you are certainly not going to enlighten anyone here.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

4trac:

But speaking of charging at home and extra electricity, have you spent any time digging into the situation in your home province wrt electrical capacity?  I had read a while back that Bc Hydro's claims of lots of excess capacity are premised on all sorts of demand destruction success...ie. convincing people to sign contracts that let the utility cut your unnecessary power use like baseboards heat or hot water.  Of course conservation is part of this.  All sounded a bit pie in the sky, and if their assumptions don't hold, BC would have very little extra electricity over the next 5-10 years, in a self sufficiency scenario (ie without buying power from neighbors). 

Actually the truth is, BC Hydro had been selling our hydro generated electricity to California and such and buying cheaper coal fired electricity from the midwest USA. 🤷🏻‍♂️ The excuse was that the profit from trading help keeps our rate low.

And site C dam is a big clusterfuck. Politics got in the way for our electricity future.

--

Simple math somewhere.

It used to be there are excessive capacity at night when most businesses are offline. But with the increase popularity of EVs and people charging them when they got off work, the demand at night increases substantially. Before long that night time demand could equal daytime demand and neutralizes any 'excessive' capacity.

Batteries in cars needed to be charged somewhere somehow, they don't magically charged themselves.Well other than batteries in hybrid car ,where the engine can charge them up while driving.

Powerplant type also make a big differences. For nuclear plants, the output is pretty much constant day and night, they can't just ramp up and down production at will.

Oil and coal plants can adjust their output easier, but they are dirty and one really don't want them to ramp up.

Solar plants means they have zero output at night, simple limitation. 

Windmills, that' even worse than solar, you never know when there is wind to generate power.

Hydro power is another one that can adjust output easily, they simply need to bring extra turbine online, but hydro power is not very widespread in the USA. 

In the end, 'excessive' capacity at night is just well, a myth. What's worse is that infrastructure that deliver power to residential area are not as robust as those going into industrial area, so the transmission lines and stations needed be upgraded first in order for them to support extra demand from many EV's that are plugged in. 

In a perfect world, all households have solar panels and home battery banks that store those electricity generated and use them to charge EV at nights to ease the strain on the grid. But that's in a perfect world and our world is far from perfect.

--

Whoopsy:
    4trac:

Actually the truth is, BC Hydro had been selling our hydro generated electricity to California and such and buying cheaper coal fired electricity from the midwest USA. 🤷🏻‍♂️ The excuse was that the profit from trading help keeps our rate low.

And site C dam is a big clusterfuck. Politics got in the way for our electricity future.

The other politics, or international relations issue with BC Hydro is that how they maintain water levels in the dozens of lakes and rivers making up their reservoirs, is complexly tied up with long term agreements with the US, because the Columbia River winds back and forth across the border.  So BC at times cannot maintain a level they need for max efficiency because they agreed not to, and probably vice versa too.  In other words their lakes serve not only as hydro batteries, but flood protection for two countries, and sometimes these goals don't jive.  All makes for a clean yes, but very complex and not very flexible power....

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

Interesting about the Columbia River, I always heard some grumbling down river, but did not know about these agreements.

AJ

Demand for electricity at night is minimum, check the demand curve. It picks around 3pm the one I've seen years ago, not sure if things have changed now. This is true for Ontario.

Assuming you charge electric cars at home every night it will balance the demand on the network. If everybody with electric car charges at noon coupled with A/Cs or electric heating on a hot/cold day then the network will crash (industrial factories are big consumers of electricity during the day but people need to work), that is true as well.

4trac:
    Whoopsy:
    4trac:

The other politics, or international relations issue with BC Hydro is that how they maintain water levels in the dozens of lakes and rivers making up their reservoirs, is complexly tied up with long term agreements with the US, because the Columbia River winds back and forth across the border.  So BC at times cannot maintain a level they need for max efficiency because they agreed not to, and probably vice versa too.  In other words their lakes serve not only as hydro batteries, but flood protection for two countries, and sometimes these goals don't jive.  All makes for a clean yes, but very complex and not very flexible power....

Hydro power is baseline along with nuclear if I can recall correctly. You can't modulate the electricity production because the water needs to flow (otherwise it will flood the area) and you can't bypass the generator since then you will be wasting energy. At least that's what I remember it was done in Ontario.

If you don't use/sell the hydro electric power you waste it. Coal/gas you can fire up the stations on demand.

wantone:
    4trac:
    Whoopsy:
    4trac:

Hydro power is baseline along with nuclear if I can recall correctly. You can't modulate the electricity production because the water needs to flow (otherwise it will flood the area) and you can't bypass the generator since then you will be wasting energy. At least that's what I remember it was done in Ontario.

If you don't use/sell the hydro electric power you waste it. Coal/gas you can fire up the stations on demand.

One modulate hydro output by bringing online/offline additional turbines. Most hydro dams don't run all their turbines at the same time, they are sized for growth in the first place after all. 

Spillways take care of the water when a turbine is offline, letting the water through around the turbines. Hydro dams are actually the easiest to modulate power output, just turn valves on and off. 

--

wantone:..................Coal/gas you can fire up the stations on demand.

Natural gas can modulate well, but coal does not easily vary to meet changes in demand.

I would imagine that for maximum economic efficiency, the hydro power would run maximum output in the late afternoon to coincide with peak demand and to sell the excess at peak pricing. Then at night you could minimize output and buy cheap power from the coal plants in the midwest at super low nighttime rates.

time of use pricing:

1607810837654rates.jpg

Stuff to consider - 

There are far more houses able to charge an EV than there are batteries for this many Household EV combinations. That clearly does not mean everyone can charge one at home or that there are not millions who presently can not do so.  It means that the grid is not the real bottleneck. Battery supply is.  Ask any car maker trying to build an EV. 
    So let’s talk about peak power problems and the solution. 
    Our solution might be batteries. 
    The average Tesla or EV has enough kWh to power the average house for 3-5 days. (75 kWh)

The problem is, as clearly illustrated, power companies have an energy storage problem when peak demand is down but the wind is blowing or sun is shining.  In Australia they built giant batteries centrally to solve this problem. But why not distribute the solution and minimize the single failure points?

So imagine your car becomes a VPP. There it is again.  Virtual Power Plant. Let me explain a bit.   
    You charge your car fully between midnight and 6am (see Gladstone’s chart of prices for why this cost effective).  When you are not driving your car you use it to run your home anytime the power cost is not at its lowest (or when most expensive).  If you have extra power in your car you might even sell it back at a profit. With 30 or so of the 300 mile range being used daily on average you have a lot of capacity left to balance the grid, reduce your own electricity cost and still drive your car.   Your car will be able to sell its excess power even while parked at work in the city where power might be worth even more and hold back enough power to get you home and run your house until midnight - the cheap charge time. 
    While the car currently does not support bi-directional charging it is certainly in the future. Lucid is already planning to do this. Tesla already has the brokerage software for the load balancing and marketing of your battery power. They do this in Australia.  

Disruptive tech is not high tech all the time.  it is often common advances used by low end but high achieving hobbyists. The path in this case is pretty simple and obvious. Use batteries to load balance, add stability and reduce costs. The batteries in these cars will already last several times the life of the chassis.  The vast numbers of batteries required ensures that this will be far more of a bottleneck than the current power grid. As mentioned the current grid is way ahead of our battery supply.  As more EVs come on line, and if they are load balanced, we will see far fewer brown outs and power shortages during peak times. Like the Borg or internet packets your have more of a collective preventing failures.  As a bonus you have a giant battery backup for your house and perishables that could last for days. Imagine how this would impact the developing world in 40-50 years. Can you see a different future?

These are simple steps which are not drastic and fairly logical.  It’s an engineering thing not a Tesla or even an EV thing.  No need to be defensive.  It pretty easy to see how this works once you understand the roll of batteries and their underutilization in the current EV scheme.  This is how we will adopt EVs, integrate solar and wind and ultimately drive the cost of electricity way down while making it safely available to more people - cleaner.  

While clearly not every grid or homeowner can own and charge an EV today the actual number TODAY who can is many multiples greater than the supply of batteries today.  If you are looking for where to invest ... I suggest batteries 🔋of all types.  
    One thing I’m not concerned about is the ability of the grid to keep up in the long term - perhaps now you see why. 

So why didn't every Tesla owners charge up their car at night with the cheaper rate and sell the power back to the grid in the day time for a profit? 

Battery production is fine, there isn't enough demand for EVs yet. It is slowly ramping up with the pace of increasing demand. Yo can make all the EVs you want, but they will all be ended up sitting at the dealer lots if there is no demand, and right now, the demand for EV is still very low.

Infrastructure on the other hand is showing it's age and is lacking. That's where real progress can be made. With better infrastructure, then EVs will be a more attractive option for the general public, and driving up demand. 

--

Infrastructure is the big issue here indeed and in Germany, we just shut off all of our nuclear plants, so... Smiley

Another huge problem is the power grid. Two of my friends here are in the construction business and both told me that there are huge issues with power grids when they plan to add EV charging stations to buildings. They plan to add 20 charging stations and due to power grid restrictions, they get only a permit for 4. Smiley This is the reality here in Germany.

--

Actually , as mentioned. Tesla does not presently have this bi-directional charging. Lucid will come out with this first. Tesla owners do schedule their charging during cheap times - If they care. And of course Tesla sells power walls which do the same thing. And power wall owners, where possible, actually do sell power back to the grid - I don’t know what to say. Hope it is okay for me to point this out 
    secondly - the number of homes which do support charging far outstrips the available batteries. Again. - ask the automakers.  Are these are the current target market.  When selling cars you look at possible number of customers. As long as this number far exceeds supply your focus on getting everyone charging capability becomes way secondary. I hear RC - but you are looking at it from your perspective as a customer and not an automaker, they don’t really care if it not practical for some as long as they can’t make them fast enough. Not ideal but reality bites. This is why you are happy with you amazing SUV!

Thirdly - the actual amount of electricity used to charge the car at your home is very small actually. My monthly payment for car charging is less than $15. That is $.50 per day on average.  So the amount of power is relatively small - if you can use the batteries to balance the grid at the same time the net positive effect is huge.  

Check your facts - maybe I’m wrong. while there are certainly places where charging is behind - batteries is the true shortfall presently.  Your location may of course be challenged as well but overall if everyone who can charge wants an EV it will be a battery supply problem. 

Porsche 911(991.2) GT2 RS: 1:24.88 video
    Porsche 911(991.2) GT3 RS: 1:26.24 video
    .....Porsche Taycan Turbo S: 1:33.88

Whoopsy:

So why didn't every Tesla owners charge up their car at night with the cheaper rate and sell the power back to the grid in the day time for a profit? 

Because you have losses. It is not worth it.

wantone:
    Whoopsy:

Because you have losses. It is not worth it.

No. Because the cars can’t do this presently. Tesla power wall owners always do this when the local power company allows it. Even just powering up at night and using that power yourself during peak prices is very worth it. 
    Giant centralized battery installations like in Australia  face far greater distances and losses yet they are extremely profitable. 

Leawood911:

Actually , as mentioned. Tesla does not presently have this bi-directional charging. Lucid will come out with this first. Tesla owners do schedule their charging during cheap times - If they care. And of course Tesla sells power walls which do the same thing. And power wall owners, where possible, actually do sell power back to the grid - I don’t know what to say. Hope it is okay for me to point this out 
    secondly - the number of homes which do support charging far outstrips the available batteries. Again. - ask the automakers.  Are these are the current target market.  When selling cars you look at possible number of customers. As long as this number far exceeds supply your focus on getting everyone charging capability becomes way secondary. I hear RC - but you are looking at it from your perspective as a customer and not an automaker, they don’t really care if it not practical for some as long as they can’t make them fast enough. Not ideal but reality bites. This is why you are happy with you amazing SUV!

Thirdly - the actual amount of electricity used to charge the car at your home is very small actually. My monthly payment for car charging is less than $15. That is $.50 per day on average.  So the amount of power is relatively small - if you can use the batteries to balance the grid at the same time the net positive effect is huge.  

Check your facts - maybe I’m wrong. while there are certainly places where charging is behind - batteries is the true shortfall presently.  Your location may of course be challenged as well but overall if everyone who can charge wants an EV it will be a battery supply problem. 

In fact Model 3 seems to have that feature for whatever reason,  -  https://electrek.co/2020/05/19/tesla-bidirectional-charging-ready-game-changing-features/

Well that is certainly in line with the type of stuff they do. Good news. I’m really surprised I have not heard of this sooner.  That’s like having 3-4 power walls for free. 
    Notice the facts and benefits mentioned in the article. 

Entertaining video and audio of Audi’s VR facility and production planning for its new Taycan sister vehicle, the Audi e-tron GT at its Böllinger Höfe facility. The R8 is also produced on the same line, illustrating the flexibility of the Volkswagen Group’s manufacturing processes.  https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/press-releases/virtual-reality-and-3d-scansdigitally-planned-production-of-the-audi-e-tron-gt-13508

Anybody? 2S? 4 non-S?

I would say the sport turismo, but that is not likely, since all models in the picture have the normal rear.F8709907-3353-4202-B250-7C934E1D3DFC.jpeg

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688646 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408733 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255531 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234800 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65400 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857605 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773420 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM