Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Welcome to the new Taycan Forum!

schmoell:

Guys, keep it cool. It's a car forum after all and not the High Court of the United Federation of Planets

The Borg does not recognize the Supreme Court of the Federation, and I'm not going to say who the Borg minions  remind me of in this topic on EV cars smiley 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

In a free market, which we are all in, there are choices for each individual.

Each individual base their choices on their own individual needs. Some need this others need that.

Just like not all of us buy Porsches all the time, we go get Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, etc. 

The EV segment finally have choices, it's a great thing. For some, they don't mind paying a high price for a cheap interior-ed Tesla, others prefer to pay more to get into a Taycan with a more luxurious interior. Yet more thinks a EV is just a basic transportation device and no need to spend more than a Leaf, a Kia, a Bolt, etc.

There isn't one car that fits everyone's taste. Just like even with 64,000 variants of 911, it still can't cover everyone either.

I get asked many times already why I didn't order a Taycan, the reasoning was painfully obvious, I have no need for such a car, my Panamera turbo S does everyrhing better and my Audi e-Tron is cheaper. 

That new e-Tron S however is quite attractive, and I ma glad my e-Tron is on a lease, that means I can turn it in anytime and jump in something else from Audi. Don't think OTA updates will get me the dual rear motor. This, Alsop highlight the pointless nature of OTA updates, no matter how much Audi tweak the software, I still won't have the latest hardware. 

And because of advances in hardware, 'buying' a EV is pointless, the technology is moving fast, there is no point in getting stuck with even a older generation car. Leasing is the way to go. 

--

I always like to buy cars but with an EV I would never but it, only lease it, it is a transportation gadget and as such once tech advances it is about as appealing as those old smartphones in the drawer.

Many people enjoy driving classic ICE cars for their character, charm and sensations they produce, but who would want to drive a 10 yr old tech EV for example?

--

Carlos from Spain:
    schmoell:

Guys, keep it cool. It's a car forum after all and not the High Court of the United Federation of Planets

The Borg does not recognize the Supreme Court of the Federation, and I'm not going to say who the Borg minions  remind me of in this topic on EV cars smiley 

--

SmileySmiley

Whoopsy:

In a free market, which we are all in, there are choices for each individual.

Each individual base their choices on their own individual needs. Some need this others need that.

Just like not all of us buy Porsches all the time, we go get Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, etc. 

The EV segment finally have choices, it's a great thing. For some, they don't mind paying a high price for a cheap interior-ed Tesla, others prefer to pay more to get into a Taycan with a more luxurious interior. Yet more thinks a EV is just a basic transportation device and no need to spend more than a Leaf, a Kia, a Bolt, etc.

There isn't one car that fits everyone's taste. Just like even with 64,000 variants of 911, it still can't cover everyone either.

I get asked many times already why I didn't order a Taycan, the reasoning was painfully obvious, I have no need for such a car, my Panamera turbo S does everyrhing better and my Audi e-Tron is cheaper. 

That new e-Tron S however is quite attractive, and I ma glad my e-Tron is on a lease, that means I can turn it in anytime and jump in something else from Audi. Don't think OTA updates will get me the dual rear motor. This, Alsop highlight the pointless nature of OTA updates, no matter how much Audi tweak the software, I still won't have the latest hardware. 

And because of advances in hardware, 'buying' a EV is pointless, the technology is moving fast, there is no point in getting stuck with even a older generation car. Leasing is the way to go. 

Nick, I couldn’t agree more.

What I don’t understand is the propensity of some Europeans to find fault with anything American. It as though nothing American made can meet the standards of European cars. I’m not an apologist for US cars or products. However, I am a firm believer in fairness. That doesn’t exist here when it comes to US goods. The attitude is first find fault and maybe a backhand compliment. 

carlos, thinks it’s all in my head. I would like to remind him I have participated on this Board almost from it’s inception. I have witnessed firsthand the snide disparaging comments but held back. After many years of this, I said enough.Smiley

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

Well Nick, for years, if not decades, American made cars aren't exactly of good quality, be it workmanship or material quality. And Tesla, American's own premium brand, aren't helping the cause with poorly assembled cars, not just interior, and well represented on the internet. The fact that it's a known fact for Tesla to rush the job around end of month and end of quarter to meet Elon's number doesn't help either.

it's different now for the other brands, Cadillac is getting there, Lincoln is getting there, heck even lowly Chevys have quality plastic now. But the perceived quality issue are still there, 'perceived' not actual, but that impression will take a while to change.

We are tight with GM's Camaro team, they are sponsoring our driving school after all, and word is that GM, for years, had been fighting with the union on workmanship, and the union finally budged and agreed to assemble the cars better. It shows.

It's a cultural different. Europeans have auto worker unions too, but their mentality is not doing it for laziness like their American counterpart, the Europeans are proud of their work, be it Porsche, Mercedes, VW, Seat, whatever. They see it as if they assemble a great quality car, it reflects well on their union. It's a pride thing. 

We now have a fleet of 20 Camaros, and counting all the cars GM brought in for the Camaro launch, we have seen around 40ish cars, all are FLAWLESS. Literally I would say they meet if not exceed European assembly standard. of course the materials used wouldn't be the same as say a $100k Mercedes, there are loads fo plastic but those plastic are of a really good quality, gone are the days of the cheap shiny hard plastics in domestic cars. These plastics are as least as good as Japanese ones. 

--

https://youtu.be/0rQjcu0UVik

https://youtu.be/Nb8cncNtNwU

Some photos and a short review coming early next week. 😎

8391AC70-685A-4A3D-BD74-DCA8BBE0F33A.png

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Nick here are the JD Powers ratings for 2019

Obviously the facts differ from perceptions 

https://www.jdpower.com/cars

--

nberry:

Nick here are the JD Powers ratings for 2019

Obviously the facts differ from perceptions 

https://www.jdpower.com/cars

I told you, I know they are better now Smiley

Especially GM, they really made an effort to push the union to improve. 

The story I told is off the mainstream media, as it doesn't look good on either side, GM accepting subpar quality and the union satisfied with a job half done. 

--

RC:

https://youtu.be/0rQjcu0UVik

https://youtu.be/Nb8cncNtNwU

Some photos and a short review coming early next week. 😎

8391AC70-685A-4A3D-BD74-DCA8BBE0F33A.png

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Thanks RC! That thing moves! And the ‘noise’ is fantastic... Right up there with KITT from Knight Rider ;) Really looking forward to your real world review. 

The artificial noise reminds me of the Jetsons broken heart

--

Lots of wheel squeaking in the second video. Is it a reminder of the weight of the car, or were you a slight bit fast around the corners indecision

Looking forward to the review. Thanks for doing this kiss

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Gauss:

Lots of wheel squeaking in the second video. Is it a reminder of the weight of the car, or were you a slight bit fast around the corners indecision

Looking forward to the review. Thanks for doing this kiss

Winter tires (noise optimized for EVs) and yes, I was doing over 100 kph in these curves... 👀

--

Carlos from Spain:

The artificial noise (optional) can be turned off and tire noise is quite low until wind noise picks up at higher speeds.

--

RC:
    Carlos from Spain:

The artificial noise (optional) can be turned off and tire noise is quite low until wind noise picks up at higher speeds.

Good to know kiss

--

Looking forward to your review RC !

Many of you won’t like my conclusions but I still think that EVs aren’t ready for prime time...yet.

--

RC:

Many of you won’t like my conclusions but I still think that EVs aren’t ready for prime time...yet.

I guess I'm one of these who will like your conclusion Smiley

I'm going to pick up my Taycan Turbo in Zuffenhausen on 20th of March ... 1 week earlier I'll do a 4-hour test in Hockenheim at the new Porsche Experience Center .... 

And I know that EV's aren't ready for "Prime Time" ... so I leased this car instead of buying ....

--

-----------------------------------

While they may not be ready for mainstream yet, that doesn't mean that they are not good options for some people, especially as a second or third car. High end sportscars are not mainstream vehicles either but they are still great for some people like us here.

--

Sidney:
    RC:

I guess I'm one of these who will like your conclusion Smiley

I'm going to pick up my Taycan Turbo in Zuffenhausen on 20th of March ... 1 week earlier I'll do a 4-hour test in Hockenheim at the new Porsche Experience Center .... 

And I know that EV's aren't ready for "Prime Time" ... so I leased this car instead of buying ....

--

That is only a month to go, looking forward to your impressions as well Sidney wink

--

Hint: Superb out-of-this world performance but not suitable as a car, unless you plan only to drive 150-300 km per day (depending on your driving style).

--

Carlos from Spain:

That is only a month to go, looking forward to your impressions as well Sidney wink

... already had 2 test drives .... one in a Taycan 4S as co-pilot only (made me thinking that Turbo is not really necessary - but order was placed already) .... and a second one in a Turbo S .... I did no Launch Control (because I did not want to destroy my feeling because I "only " get a Turbo) but even without LC the car launched in Normal mode (mean same as Turbo) so brutally fast that my brain was woozy for a short time ....

I know that there's more to come than straightforward speed ... but I was impressed by all the other things as well Smiley

--

What are your lease terms?

--

nberry:

What are your lease terms?

LF 1,57 at 36m/15k km/2.5k EUR

--

Interesting article on the Autocar website.  Note the disclosure of new patented cell technology and assembly techniques.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/exclusive-new-id-r-sports-car-pioneer-secret-battery-tech

Exclusive: new ID R sports car to pioneer secret battery tech

Performance battery know-how from ID R racer will be key to new ID electric sports car - and it could preview the next Audi TT

As Autocar reported last year, sister brand Porsche is developing an all-electric Boxster. While that model is thought to be based on either the Taycan’s PPE platform or an adapted version of the existing combustion engine platform, it’s possible the Stuttgart brand could make use of the MEB platform to create a sibling to the ID sports car.

A series of design study models already exists for the car at Volkswagen’s headquarters in Wolfsburg. It has been earmarked to pioneer the use of what the company’s motorsport director, Sven Smeets, describes as a “new performance-based battery” being developed in-house at the German car maker for future ID R road cars.

The new battery incorporates patented cell technology know-how from Volkswagen’s ID R prototype race car, which has established a series of performance records in recent years.

“We are beginning to work on the first batteries for the performance road cars, using the dedicated team from the ID R, so there will be a direct link between them,” said Smeets. “The batteries start in the same area. At the moment we’re finalising the performance parameters of the batteries.”

While shrouded in secrecy, Volkswagen’s performance road car battery is said to use a different chemical process to that employed by the ID 3. It is also said to adopt a new cell-to-pack architecture for greater efficiency and packaging benefits.

Speaking about the possibilities open to the German car maker in the development of performance batteries for road cars, Jost Capito, head of Volkswagen’s R performance car division, said: “We have different cells and ways of building and all the technical learnings from motorsport. There are different demands on a performance car than a road car, and we’re looking at all aspects to see what we can do with the technology. We’ve seen how it works in the ID R and now we want to see how it looks in a road car.”

The news of Volkswagen’s plans comes swiftly after the unveiling of the four-wheel-drive electric Golf eR1.

Although not directly pointing to any future production model, the eR1 is, in Volkswagen’s own words, “an ambassador for future performance cars for Volkswagen’s R division”.

A range of ID R performance variants would sit above the ID GTX range in the same way the combustion-engined R models sit above the GTI today. Autocar first confirmed earlier this year that the GTX branding would initially be used on a hot version of the ID 4 SUV, before rolling out across ID models.

The I.D. R battery is completely impractical for street use. This is what's needed to get it going.

IMG_9168.jpg
    IMG_9171.jpg
    IMG_9169.jpg

--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnSWjxxHQXU

Apparently, there are again delays at the production of the Taycan this time because of supply constrains caused by the Corona virus. Mine is supposed to be produced on March the 20th but now everything is in limbo. We will see what is going to happen. The corona situation is more important than my Taycan, I can wait. Let’s hope this virus outbake is stopped soon.

He keep mentioning another 'big manufacturer', I wonder who that is. My guess is Hyundai/Kia, as they are part owners too just like Porsche.
    --

JR-550:

Apparently, there are again delays at the production of the Taycan this time because of supply constrains caused by the Corona virus. Mine is supposed to be produced on March the 20th but now everything is in limbo. We will see what is going to happen. The corona situation is more important than my Taycan, I can wait. Let’s hope this virus outbake is stopped soon.

Smiley Finally someone who says something intelligent. I applaud you because recently, in my private surroundings, people worry about missing tennis matches and birthdays parties. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753442 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430887 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258677 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255525 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79573 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868467 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802099 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM