Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Welcome to the new Taycan Forum!

Not certain that holds for my 997 turbo but I get the point. Well made.  Base price around $130k. A loaded 2020 S.  Certainly off the line the pdk will take it but in the long run. 
    Investments in speed are not long term and never age well 

Leawood911:

Not certain that holds for my 997 turbo but I get the point. Well made.  Base price around $130k. A loaded 2020 S.  Certainly off the line the pdk will take it but in the long run. 
    Investments in speed are not long term and never age well 

the Concorde simultaneously refutes and supports that proposition   Smiley

Porsche Taycan Turbo Crushes EPA Range Rating On Our 436-Mile Drive

We do 20% better than the EPA 201-mile range without even trying.

The first leg was the least efficient because of a couple of factors. First, as noted above the battery and cabin were cold so we were using a considerable amount of heat as we drove. Also, it was pouring rain for most of the 134-mile drive, so I expected that part of the trip to be the least efficient.

Starting SOC

Ending SOC SOC Used Miles Driven Remaining Range Est. Total Range w/Estimate Miles Per kWh Observed Total Range
    98% 39% 59% 134 91 225 mi. / 362km 2.71 227 mi. / 365km
    96% 41% 55% 143 98 241 mi. / 388km 3.11  260 mi. / 418km
    96% 34% 62% 159 81 240 mi. / 386km 3.06 256 mi. / 412km

Taycan 4S range must approach 300 miles. 

Everything depends on the driver, weather, temp, too many variables to go by someone’s attempt at hyper milling. These are simple electronic devices. One should, in the very near future, arrive at standard measures for the efficiency of the motor, the battery and the chassis (weight and aero) separately and combined.  Scientifically. 
    I can pussyfoot my Turbo all day and get 27 to 29 mpg. Does that beat the epa estimate by 20%. Hell yes but I know when I really use it I get 15. Lol. 

Leawood911:

Everything depends on the driver, weather, temp, too many variables to go by someone’s attempt at hyper milling. These are simple electronic devices. One should, in the very near future, arrive at standard measures for the efficiency of the motor, the battery and the chassis (weight and aero) separately and combined.  Scientifically. 
    I can pussyfoot my Turbo all day and get 27 to 29 mpg. Does that beat the epa estimate by 20%. Hell yes but I know when I really use it I get 15. Lol. 

The EPA test as an average speed of ~50mph (highway part).

These guys drove faster than that.

" We drove between 70 mph and 80 mph the vast majority of the time, but we did push the Taycan up over 100 mph a few times, we just couldn't help ourselves.  "

There are many examples out there where people report around 240miles. EPA numbers were very pessimistic it seems.

It's obvious that EPA is an American pro Tesla shit. Some bunch of people,  who 100 years didn't understood car manufacturing are putting standards in car manufacturing... Funny guys nevertheless:)

OK guys, everybody calm down. Surely driving habits and mileage are incredibly variable, and cannot be pinpointed exactly. And I also guess that very fewTaycan buyers, or Tesla buyers,will worry about 10 or 15 miles on a charge here or there. On top of it all, most luxury EV buyers will home charge, and stay around metro areas, as opposed to taking long trips.Leawood is an exception, as he drives his model three over long distances, but an overwhelming majority of people will stay closer to home. wink

Wonderbar:

OK guys, everybody calm down. Surely driving habits and mileage are incredibly variable, and cannot be pinpointed exactly. And I also guess that very fewTaycan buyers, or Tesla buyers,will worry about 10 or 15 miles on a charge here or there. On top of it all, most luxury EV buyers will home charge, and stay around metro areas, as opposed to taking long trips.Leawood is an exception, as he drives his model three over long distances, but an overwhelming majority of people will stay closer to home. wink

+1Smiley

--

Having everything is nice, but it's even nicer to make sure everything you've got is actually worth having.

When is the last time Porsche published a number that they didn't beat fair and square?

One could say Porsche always low ball or being conservative with their numbers, but it is what it is, they would rather have customers beating their numbers no matter bad the condition than only having what they published show up at the best of conditions.

--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMTNMEwjWck

21:30+ Driving segment

Car and Driver: Porsche's Taycan Turbo S Redefines Quick for Performance Sedans

• 0 - 60 mph in 2.4 seconds
    • 0 - 100 mph in 6.0 seconds
    • 0 - 150 mph in 15.2 seconds
    • 1/4 mile in 10.5 seconds @ 130 mph(209km/h)
    • Top speed is 162 mph(261km/h)
    • Braking 70 mph - 0 in 155 feet(47,2m)
    • Roadholding over a 300-ft diameter skid pad: 0.99 g

Geez...

That's why nextmove is hosting the Emobility Super Bowl today: Porsche Taycan Turbo vs. Tesla Model 3. Germany vs. the USA in a head-to-head comparison on German Autobahn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gzrz2GsNho

Another pointless comparison.

Teslas are all engineered for the US market, they can't drive fast and most people only value acceleration Gs from rest and not lateral Gs.

Taycan is design more for the European and world markets, where people can drive fast and value lateral Gs over acceleration Gs, not that they don't care but they place less importance on ultimate acceleration.

Taycan is a performance car that happens to be a EV, Teslas are EV that happens to have performance.

Autobahn travel speed is not Tesla's forte, it is literally out of its elements doing that. 

--

Whoopsy:

Teslas are all engineered for the US market, they can't drive fast and most people only value acceleration Gs from rest and not lateral Gs.

Taycan is design more for the European and world markets, where people can drive fast and value lateral Gs over acceleration Gs, not that they don't care but they place less importance on ultimate acceleration.

Taycan is a performance car that happens to be a EV, Teslas are EV that happens to have performance.

Autobahn travel speed is not Tesla's forte, it is literally out of its elements doing that. 

Yes, that's right.

And if you consider its weight, its even worse in the picture.

Model 3 RWD LR: ~1801kg

Taycan: 2380kg (+ 579kg)

Topspeed:
    Whoopsy:

Yes, that's right.

And if you consider its weight, its even worse in the picture.

Model 3 RWD LR: ~1801kg

Taycan: 2380kg (+ 579kg)

Yet despise it's weight, it is one of the most agile sedan ever. 

Technology helps a lot with the weight issue, look no farther than the 918. It was considered a pig when it was announced, heaviest by far of the trio, yet it is the most agile and fastest one.

Porsche has it's own test track with pro drivers literally running cars 24/7 to tune the cars. 

Proper question is, why can't the Model 3 handle half as good while weighting a 1000lb less. 

There is something seriously wrong there. 

--

It’s a 3rd/4th the cost. What you expect. 

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

EnglishManInNY:

It’s a 3rd/4th the cost. What you expect. 

Exactly, completely different product category. can't be compared.

--

Just back from the Ice force pro in Finland, was a blast like every year. This year we could also drive the Taycan. There were app 14 Taycan's (Turbo S), these were pre-production cars. The same cars the dealer introduction was done with in Spain and Portugal. It was a blast driving and drifting with this car. Extremely easy to drift and drift angels you would not believe are possible. You did not need time to get used to the car; immediately you felt at home and could drift as a pro. After 30 minutes because of the hugh power, the ice was gone at the starting point. Nice car cannot wait untill end march for my car.

Porsche Ice Experience_IFP_W2_30_01_2020_0615_222283.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vle1GZAqLqM

For the measurement the cars had SOC 90%+, the Model S Perf. was equipped with the newest Lud.-Suftware (in german Tesla-cars this driving-mode ist called "Von Sinnen+"). So the Tesla was measured in "Von Sinnen+", the Taycan Turbo S in "Sport Plus". Air temp 3 degrees celsius, asphalt 2 degress celsius. The acceleration of both cars was measured 4 times and with recommended tire pressure.

The fact that Tesla models are compared to a Porsche model is a winner for Tesla. Musk must be jubilant.

--

Having everything is nice, but it's even nicer to make sure everything you've got is actually worth having.

nberry:

The fact that Tesla models are compared to a Porsche model is a winner for Tesla. Musk must be jubilant.

It's only due to the fact, that there aren't other players in that field. 

Boyko23:
    nberry:

It's only due to the fact, that there aren't other players in that field. 

Exactly.

I disagree. There are many EV vehicles on the road today. I suppose you could argue price range but if that is the case how can you compare a $80,000 EV to a $185,000 EV?

Any way you cut it, Tesla wins whenever you compare it to Porsche.

--

nberry:

I disagree. There are many EV vehicles on the road today. I suppose you could argue price range but if that is the case how can you compare a $80,000 EV to a $185,000 EV?

That's why you don't. They are not comparable.

People don't compare Camrys with Rolls Royces. The Camry wins too.

--

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

That's my point. The fact car reviewers are comparing a $80,000 car to a $185,000 car is a big win for the $80,000 car. Smiley

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Except that the Taycan is nowhere near a Rolls Royce and the Tesla is moderately (but demonstrably) better than a Camry. Still it's a thin field and while there is a large difference in the two there is an equally large distance between a Nissan Leaf and a Tesla.

Still the decade old Tesla stays with the Porsche in a lot of areas and if you don't think there's cross buying you're foolish. I know a lot of people that are moving from Tesla to the Taycan. I also know a bunch that have cancelled their Taycan orders and kept the Tesla. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Except that the Taycan is nowhere near a Rolls Royce and the Tesla is moderately (but demonstrably) better than a Camry. Still it's a thin field and while there is a large difference in the two there is an equally large distance between a Nissan Leaf and a Tesla.

Still the decade old Tesla stays with the Porsche in a lot of areas and if you don't think there's cross buying you're foolish. I know a lot of people that are moving from Tesla to the Taycan. I also know a bunch that have cancelled their Taycan orders and kept the Tesla. 

Exactly what I have been saying. They are not really competing in the same segment. 

Before, Tesla is the only game in town, you can be Bill Gates or Joe Gates, doesn't matter your bank account balance, if you want a nice EV one can only buy a Tesla. Now with the Taycan people can move up a category to the Taycan. No brainer for them. But for others they don't see themselves stretching up to the Taycan as the Tesla is good enough and keep the Teslas.

Isn't it fabulous to have choices now? People can buy a e-Tron, I-Pace, or wait for the up coming Mercedes if they want a EV crossover and not stuck with a Model X. Even Tesla's own upcoming Model Y could be an option too.

Had a few friends who owns the Model 3 but traded them in for a e-Tron after riding in mine. The longer range is pointless to them and they much prefer a nicer interior. 

Wait a few more years and there will be even more choices. Audi's coming up with the e-Tron GT to slot between the Model S and Taycan too. 

--

Whoopsy:
    Mithras:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Exactly what I have been saying. They are not really competing in the same segment. 

Before, Tesla is the only game in town, you can be Bill Gates or Joe Gates, doesn't matter your bank account balance, if you want a nice EV one can only buy a Tesla. Now with the Taycan people can move up a category to the Taycan. No brainer for them. But for others they don't see themselves stretching up to the Taycan as the Tesla is good enough and keep the Teslas.

Isn't it fabulous to have choices now? People can buy a e-Tron, I-Pace, or wait for the up coming Mercedes if they want a EV crossover and not stuck with a Model X. Even Tesla's own upcoming Model Y could be an option too.

Had a few friends who owns the Model 3 but traded them in for a e-Tron after riding in mine. The longer range is pointless to them and they much prefer a nicer interior. 

Wait a few more years and there will be even more choices. Audi's coming up with the e-Tron GT to slot between the Model S and Taycan too. 

Audi e-tron GT concept looks great so far... Smiley

Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    754262 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431198 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258775 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255704 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5260 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868680 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802488 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM