Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ferrari is acting stupid

vantagesc:

Exotics have been in hip hop videos for ages and yet....

Once again, many posting here are missing critical parts of the Plein story.   Ferrari has a long term partnership with Puma to license its trademarks for footwear and apparel.  Puma has also entered into an agreement with Formula One to license merchandise.  That started in April 2019. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-motor-f1-puma/formula-one-announces-long-term-partnership-with-puma-idUSKCN1RG11D

Plein, whose company markets products that overlap with Puma, another German clothing manufacturer, posts an Instagram photo of a pair of athletic shoes above the Ferrari script of a green 812.  The green on the shoes are a direct match to the green on the Ferrari.  To the casual observer, this could suggest that Plein’s products are endorsed by Ferrari.  This is the crux of the argument made by Ferrari’s lawyers to protect its lucrative license with Puma as well as the FIA, through the Formula One agreement.  Ferrari earns millions of Euros from licensing its trademarks to Puma, and this revenue flows directly down to the bottom line as profit.  Ferrari will do what is necessary to protect this profit stream    

Plein’s personal Instagram account is, to most consumers, indistinguishable from the eponymous corporate social media accounts, again highlighting the consumer’s mistaken belief that some of Plein’s products are endorsed by Ferrari.  Few consumers would mistakenly assume that Ferrari is endorsing a rapper when one of their cars appears in a video.   However, Deadmau5 ran afoul of Ferrari legal when he modified the logos on his 458.  A similar argument was made then too.  https://jalopnik.com/ferrari-sent-deadmau5-a-cease-and-desist-about-his-purr-1627640534

No doubt Ferrari had a reason for doing what they did. But rather than looking at the why look at the result. If Ferrari/Puma had to do it over again, I suspect they would have ignored the one Instagram post. kiss

--

Assume most people are stupid and hope they surprise you.

nberry:

No doubt Ferrari had a reason for doing what they did. But rather than looking at the why look at the result. If Ferrari/Puma had to do it over again, I suspect they would have ignored the one Instagram post. kiss

Doubt Ferrari, as a corporate entity, is having any regrets sending a C&D letter to Plein.  These actions are very common in business and the automakers undertake hundreds or if not thousands of similar actions a year.  I know of a mid-tier law firm in Chicago that has a lucrative practice working with several automakers and luxury goods companies on similar endeavors.  Plein is just as obnoxious as the cheap clothing he peddles at overly inflated prices.  

CGX car nut:
      Plein is just as obnoxious as the cheap clothing he peddles at overly inflated prices.  

yep

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

Vuitton is not crap. it is a well established brand with a heritage and quality to match....

I know, even my daughter loves it and she couldn't care less about brands.

there are many brands like plein that come and go and no one remembers them. good for him and less than marginal for the world indecision

Plein is not even 1% my style but many love it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Yes, Philipp Plein is completely unknown in the US... broken heart

ACC53D89-BD0D-456E-AD74-F7535E01B055.jpeg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

Yes, Philipp Plein is completely unknown in the US... broken heart

ACC53D89-BD0D-456E-AD74-F7535E01B055.jpeg

--

Honestly, I have never known such a 'brand'. That one time I encountered a branded store, I thought to myself that's a cheap Chinese imitation of Philip Stein.

--

In Russia, Asia and some East European countries, you can’t go to the bar, if you don’t have PP's garbage from top to bottom… Figuratively speaking, but very true... smiley

very ''in your face style'', and utterly questionable...strass & skull on almost anything.

I will call this a hype ''look at me from a mile away'' type of clothes similar to Versace but in a cheaper way and even less stylish (versace is horrendous to be honest) and surely will be quuckly forgotten in the history or fashion and famous brand. angry

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

For skull fashion, no one beats Alexander McQueen!!!

--

Whoopsy:

he kind of invented it

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Boyko23:

In Russia, Asia and some East European countries, you can’t go to the bar, if you don’t have PP's garbage from top to bottom… Figuratively speaking, but very true... smiley

I agree but I just responded to nberry's claim he never heard of it.

Not sure how well it sells here in LV though.

--

intouch1:
    Whoopsy:

he kind of invented it

Exactly, why would one buy knock offs instead of the original?

--

Funny, I never heard of Alexander McQueen. 😂

--

RC:

Don't worry, he is dead.

--

Whoopsy:
    RC:

Don't worry, he is dead.

Smiley Smiley

--

Speaking of brands and shops: Is it just me or has business slowed down in Las Vegas? We were there around Labor Day and unlike the last years, there were substantially less people in my opinion. Also less drunks, which was good. indecision

On the other hand, I was impressed with the merchandise in the brands shops: They had very much the latest stuff there. Prices are high though and many dealers weren't inclined to negotiate. Made the best deal at a Macey's(!) , bought some Prada sunglasses marked at 280 USD for 180 USD. I told the sales woman I saw these glasses in Germany for 180 EUR and she used two discount coupons to bring the price down to 180 USD (plus almost 8% local tax but anyway, it was basically the same price as in Germany). Nice surprise. 

Disappointing: Louis Vuitton. They only had very conservative style stuff at all stores (six?) in Las Vegas, the new and more colorful stuff was not available or by order only.

Surprising: Watches. Found the latest Panerai PAM 00683 in a Panerai boutique, almost bought it (but reconsidered because of German customs). Mailed my jeweler if he can get it and he told me that this watch isn't available yet in Germany but he can get it in a week or two. Very nice 42 mm Panerai and I thought I would never get one again. I ordered it and even got a nice 20% discount (which the Las Vegas dealer wasn't willing to provide, just another wristband at no cost ).

--

Very hot in Las Vegas this time of year...

mcdelaug:

Very hot in Las Vegas this time of year...

It wasn't really hotter than usual... Smiley

We spent five hours on Lake Mead at 118°F, so... We love heat. Smiley 

Labor Day was less crowded than I expected, two years ago it was pure craziness on the streets of Vegas.

You could be right though: People were talking more often than usual about the heat, maybe this whole climate change discussion has affected more people than I realize. Like I said before: We had the same temperature in August in Vegas each time we were there, so I really don't understand why people would suddenly start to talk about the heat. Smiley

--

RC:

Disappointing: Louis Vuitton. They only had very conservative style stuff at all stores (six?) in Las Vegas, the new and more colorful stuff was not available or by order only.

Christian, for LV, all the best collections and exclusive parts are in Paris and sometime in Milan or London. LV protects its interest by putting the best always in Paris where it is ''manufactured''Smiley

Same goes for the high luxury french brands in General.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

Christian, for LV, all the best collections and exclusive parts are in Paris and sometime in Milan or London. LV protects its interest by putting the best always in Paris where it is ''manufactured''Smiley

I can get almost everything through the LV Online Store in Germany, surprisingly...sometimes directly online, sometimes I have to call the number but they really have (almost) everything available within a couple of days. I just wish some of the larger stores would have more variety but I guess that in the US, LV is going with the more conservative stuff. Smiley

Also interesting: We met a Chinese family in LV, an entrepreneur from Beijing, very wealthy. The woman had a very interesting LV shopper with her, in colors I've never seen from LV (dark white with a light brown). First, we thought it is a fake but my wife went with that woman to a LV store in LV to look around and one of the employees admired the shopper and said it was some sort of special edition for the Asian market. My wife loved it but apparently it isn't available anymore.

I didn't know that LV is making merchandise for specific markets, learned something.

--

RC:
    the-missile:
    RC:

I can get almost everything through the LV Online Store in Germany, surprisingly...sometimes directly online, sometimes I have to call the number but they really have (almost) everything available within a couple of days. I just wish some of the larger stores would have more variety but I guess that in the US, LV is going with the more conservative stuff. Smiley

Also interesting: We met a Chinese family in LV, an entrepreneur from Beijing, very wealthy. The woman had a very interesting LV shopper with her, in colors I've never seen from LV (dark white with a light brown). First, we thought it is a fake but my wife went with that woman to a LV store in LV to look around and one of the employees admired the shopper and said it was some sort of special edition for the Asian market. My wife loved it but apparently it isn't available anymore.

I didn't know that LV is making merchandise for specific markets, learned something.

All the brands do region specific merchandise, it's not news.

The really good stuff are always in Europe. Asian market also have their own specific editions. 

The 'commodities' stuff just goes to North American. Rarely they send special editions to the North American market. As someone inside the industry put it, "they have no taste and they don't appreciate the design, they just want the badge". 

--

Whoopsy:
    RC:
    the-missile:
    RC:

All the brands do region specific merchandise, it's not news.

The really good stuff are always in Europe. Asian market also have their own specific editions. 

The 'commodities' stuff just goes to North American. Rarely they send special editions to the North American market. As someone inside the industry put it, "they have no taste and they don't appreciate the design, they just want the badge". 

Nick and the rest of you, LV merchandise is so prevalent in the US that even our homeless own them. Seeing someone with a LV product in US generates chuckles. You can't walk a street without seeing one. They are more prevalent than Prius's. BTW, special editions?Smiley

--

nberry:
    Nick and the rest of you, LV merchandise is so prevalent in the US that even our homeless own them. Seeing someone with a LV product in US generates chuckles. You can't walk a street without seeing one. They are more prevalent than Prius's. BTW, special editions?Smiley

Ever heard of knock-offs? Smiley

Half the LV stuff in the US (and probably worldwide) is a knock-off, similar to Gucci stuff, etc..

Mostly handbags (LV). Quality is OK at first sight but when you look at them closely, they suck. Also, they often disintegrate by themselves after a year or two. Smiley 

Yes, there are special editions for certain markets.

I guess you're more of a Hermes type of guy? Or is it Ralph Lauren Polo? Smiley Smiley

--

Christian, I wear Ralph Lauren when I wash my car. 

--

nberry:

How preppy!  Hope that collar is turned up on the Polo shirt when you wash your car.  

nberry:

indecision

CGX car nut:
    nberry:

How preppy!  Hope that collar is turned up on the Polo shirt when you wash your car.  

Smiley

--

nberry:

You wash your car? Smiley

--

RC:

some Middle East special editions as well are done (very specific style, usually very bold). the limited and very special editions go always to Europe and specifically Paris. same applies for all French luxury brands from clothes, leather goods to jewelry.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691191 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410261 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256281 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65763 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858893 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775228 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM