Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Mission E...the future of Porsche?

CGX car nut:

Still a bit surprised by the lack of comments on Musk’s statement yesterday that he is taking a Model S to the Nürburgring next week, evidently to top the Taycan’s time.

That is because nobody takes him seriously anymore

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    CGX car nut:

Still a bit surprised by the lack of comments on Musk’s statement yesterday that he is taking a Model S to the Nürburgring next week, evidently to top the Taycan’s time.

That is because nobody takes him seriously anymore

That did stimulate his base and many are still waiting for that transcontinental trip under FSD he had promised a few years back.  Porsche, as an organization, understands the Nürburgring better than anyone else. Lamborghini relied on Porsche to assist with their record attempts. As stated before, the concept and even the product at Tesla is sound.  Unfortunately, the man at the top is too reckless and destructive.  Seen it before and seeing it again.  

Chris Harris seems to be interested :)

https://twitter.com/harrismonkey/status/1169859162747965440

Bildschirmfoto 2019-09-06 um 16.20.31.png

That’s escalating quickly.  

As I posted earlier, whereas the Taycan can repeat maximum performance, the Tesla is a one and done. However, during that one and done it is formidable performance car. Musk must know something. If he gets close to the Taycan time, he'll use it in promoting the S since it is priced about $100,000 less than the Taycan. 

I can anticipate the posts should the S better the Taycan time. Not a production car, Tesla cheated and so on.Smiley

BTW, Europeans must have different level of wealth. A car priced over $100,000 is not considered a luxury car.

--

Assume most people are stupid and hope they surprise you.

Less about price and more about brand perception.  Note that even Audi, which is sharing more and more component systems with Porsche, is held in lower esteem by a few on RT.  Tesla needs to revamp its cars to more appropriately match its pricing points as the European cars do have higher perceived quality fit, finish, and materials.  

Returning to Musk, his tweet against Porsche seems more of his typical deflection on news that the NTSB chided Tesla for ill-designed Autopilot human-machine interfaces   Hence, why he even lashed out at Porsche for using “Turbo.”

nberry:

Musk must know something.

Don 't overestimate him. He is on dope again Smiley

Honestly, Musk talks BS most of the time.

Porsche Taycan Makes 408-Mile Journey From Niagara Falls To NYC

Right after its unveiling at Niagara Falls, a blue Porsche Taycan Turbo took off for New York City, embarking on a 408-mile (656 km) drive that featured multiple real world challenges, such as rainy conditions and heavy traffic.

Its first stop was at an Electrify America charging station in Bloomsburg, PA, after having already traveled for 250 miles (405 km).  

At that point, the trip computer indicated that the Porsche EV had 39 miles (62 km) of remaining range, so it was definitely time for some extra juice. The car spent just 24 minutes docked to the charger, in which the battery went from 14% to 85%. After that, the Taycan easily completed the remaining 158 miles (254 km), arriving in New York City for the very first time.  

nberry:

As I posted earlier, whereas the Taycan can repeat maximum performance, the Tesla is a one and done. However, during that one and done it is formidable performance car. Musk must know something. If he gets close to the Taycan time, he'll use it in promoting the S since it is priced about $100,000 less than the Taycan. 

I can anticipate the posts should the S better the Taycan time. Not a production car, Tesla cheated and so on.Smiley

BTW, Europeans must have different level of wealth. A car priced over $100,000 is not considered a luxury car.

--

It's not the price the defines a luxury car. It's the content. Materials used, fit and finish, brand value, etc.

A C-class, not even close to $100,000, is already considered a luxury car as it is from Mercedes.

Tesla the brand, outside of the USA itself, is never considered a luxury brand. Yes they sell cars at a high price point, but the content doesn't matches the price. And a $30-40k Asian made car already have better interior than that $100k Tesla.  There lies the problem.

But as I said before, the Taycan's release HELPED Tesla right now. There is a BIG hole in pricing that Tesla can exploit. Put in some nice Napa leather and stitching in a Model S, trim and decorate that eye sore of a screen in the middle, and fit some perhaps wood, carbon, or aluminum trims and Tesla can easily move the Model S upmarket even more. 

It sounds nice on paper that Tesla is having leather free interior or whatever vegan friendly. But the real motive is that those synthetic materials are cheaper. Tesla is just saving money but the side benefit of that is a vegan friendly interior, nothing more.

Heck, even using alcantara would be a leather free interior, but alcantara is expense that's all.

Bottomline is as simply as Elon is trying to go as cheap as possible to save money without being blasted since Tesla doesn't really make money selling cars. 

--

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

It's not the price the defines a luxury car. It's the content. Materials used, fit and finish, brand value, etc.

Was going to reply but you saved me the time. This ^

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Right, a BAC Mono cost much more, but nobody calls this a luxury car Smiley

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

--

A C-class, not even close to $100,000, is already considered a luxury car as it is from Mercedes.

Tesla the brand, outside of the USA itself, is never considered a luxury brand. Yes they sell cars at a high price point, but the content doesn't matches the price. And a $30-40k Asian made car already have better interior than that $100k Tesla.  There lies the problem.

But as I said before, the Taycan's release HELPED Tesla right now. There is a BIG hole in pricing that Tesla can exploit. Put in some nice Napa leather and stitching in a Model S, trim and decorate that eye sore of a screen in the middle, and fit some perhaps wood, carbon, or aluminum trims and Tesla can easily move the Model S upmarket even more. 

It sounds nice on paper that Tesla is having leather free interior or whatever vegan friendly. But the real motive is that those synthetic materials are cheaper. Tesla is just saving money but the side benefit of that is a vegan friendly interior, nothing more.

Heck, even using alcantara would be a leather free interior, but alcantara is expense that's all.

Bottomline is as simply as Elon is trying to go as cheap as possible to save money without being blasted since Tesla doesn't really make money selling cars. 

The two are related. You can't have fine furnishing without cost. If I accept your definition, neither the Porsche sport cars or sedans are luxury cars. Tell that to Porsche owners.Smiley

--

That's Porsche.  One can have a car that is quite sporty or option it out with a full panoply of luxury touches.  

The last Tesla Model S I was in didn't even have coat hooks, door storage bins, or passenger assist handles, which are luxury touches found on even the most basic of other cars.  People become too enamored with the quietness and smoothness of the powertrain of a Tesla to realize its luxury shortcomings.  A Volkswagen Golf has magnitudes more luxury touches than any Tesla.  

Tesla, if the company had the funds, should hire an industrial designer like Marc Newson to inject modern luxury touches to the interiors.  However, one believes that Musk is the final purview in the design process.  

nberry:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

--

The two are related. You can't have fine furnishing without cost. If I accept your definition, neither the Porsche sport cars or sedans are luxury cars. Tell that to Porsche owners.Smiley

See Grant's reply.

Also, I don't consider any of my Porsche luxury cars. Even the Panamera when I spec-ed it out to infinity. It's a luxurious sports sedan that shame most on performance and at least on par if not better than most luxury cars.

If I were to buy a true luxury car, a Bentley Flying Spur could be the one.

--

The Bentley Flynn Spur Speed is rumored to be getting the Panamera Turbo S hybrid system with a potential boost in horsepower.  That could be very entertaining.

Grant:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

SmileySmiley Yep in support of an untenable position, we turn to comedy.

--

nberry:
    Grant:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Nick, high price doesn't means luxury. 

My 918 cost more than any other car in my possession right now, it has close to zero luxury items. And no one in the world would call it a luxury car.

I think the case is closed.

--

"An Extremely Detailed Look At The Porsche Taycan's Engineering Designed To Take On Tesla" (Jalopnik)

1567837710817image.jpeg

Link: https://jalopnik.com/an-extremely-detailed-look-at-the-porsche-taycans-engin-1837802533 

Smiley

"Porsche increases stake in hypercar EV maker Rimac"

Porsche has increased its stake in Croatian electric vehicle firm Rimac, as part of an increased co-operation in battery technology and other areas. 

The German car maker bought a 10% stake in Rimac in June 2018 and has now increased its holding to 15.5%. The move comes shortly after Porsche launched the Taycan, its first series-production electric car.

According to the two companies, the increased partnership will allow Porsche to "call on Rimac’s expertise in vehicle electrification, including powertrains, batteries and other components related to electrification and autonomous driving".

Lutz Meschke, Porsche’s finance chief, said: “It quickly became clear to us that Porsche and Rimac could learn a lot from each other. We are convinced of [founder] Mate Rimac and his company, so now we have increased our stake and are expanding our cooperation in battery technology.”

Meschke told Autocar: "Rimac is very strong in battery technologies, e-motors and UX [user experience], and we can benefit. It's a win-win situation on both sides." 

The firms have not disclosed how much Porsche paid for the stake.

Porsche isn't the only major car firm to have invested in Rimac. Earlier this year, the Hyundai Motor Group invested £60 million in a deal that includes the development of two high-performance EVs by next year.

Meschke said: "Rimac has a very good chance to have a broad range of customers in both sports cars and the volume segment with Hyundai. We have a very close co-operation with Rimac and we will see the results of that in the upcoming electric Macan and future hybrids."

Link:  https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/porsche-increases-stake-hypercar-ev-maker-rimac

Smiley

Excellent and very technical article. Thanks a lot for sharing !

Whoopsy:
    nberry:
    Grant:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

My 918 cost more than any other car in my possession right now, it has close to zero luxury items. And no one in the world would call it a luxury car.

Nick I agree high price doesn’t necessarily mean luxury. The price can be dictated by performance enhancements. But with the Taycan and Tesla, they are positioned as sedans. Because of the unrelenting bias against Tesla on this site, posters try to find reasons to denigrate the car. The Tesla in the US is considered a luxury car. I believe it’s the only US car manufacturer that builds and sells a sedan for over $100,000. 

Yet, RT posters claim it’s not a luxury car and not in the same league as the Taycan which cost twice as much. You likened it to a Toyota Camry. Seriously?Smiley

--

nberry:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:
    Grant:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Nick I agree high price doesn’t necessarily mean luxury. The price can be dictated by performance enhancements. But with the Taycan and Tesla, they are positioned as sedans. Because of the unrelenting bias against Tesla on this site, posters try to find reasons to denigrate the car. The Tesla in the US is considered a luxury car. I believe it’s the only US car manufacturer that builds and sells a sedan for over $100,000. 

Yet, RT posters claim it’s not a luxury car and not in the same league as the Taycan which cost twice as much. You likened it to a Toyota Camry. Seriously?Smiley

OK, let's flip it around them, what do you see as luxurious in a Model S Nick? it's interior design? It's materials? it's build quality? it's craftsmanship or options list? it's exclusivity? 

--

For these people, who claim that both cars look almost the same...mail

mission_e_taycan.jpg

farina:

mission_e_taycan.jpg

Have you ever seen concept car looks being translated to reality for the full 100%? There's always compromises to be made, unfortunately.

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:
    farina:

mission_e_taycan.jpg

Have you ever seen concept car looks being translated to reality for the full 100%? There's always compromises to be made, unfortunately.

Fully agree... in fact this stays closer to concept than most.  Springing the concept wheels, admittedly simplified a bit, was genius in terms of convincing the eyes that they honoured the concept.  

Have to admit though, after how many years of teaser mules, I miss the fake exhaust tips....Smiley

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

farina:

mission_e_taycan.jpg

Basically the production car is missing the ‘sexiness’ of the concept car, I.e. it lost the most desirable 10% ;)

+1

nberry:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:
    Grant:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Honestly, you have seen the interior of Teslas, A Camry interior is better equipped. Model S, Model 3 are 4 door sedans, just like a Camry, so why not compare them directly? This is basically using the same argument from the Tesla crowd that they are competing against ICE cars, instead of comparing with comparables within the EV segment. The logic has to go both ways,  they cannot have it one way and using the argue FOR them but not AGAINST them.

Price also does not dictate performance, look at the Corvette, and I guess the Dodge Demon, they are super fast car but doesn't carry a gigantic price tag to match the performance. I mean, a Model S does the 1/4 mile in 10 seconds and change, a Dodge Demon do the same thing under 10 seconds, does that mean the Demon should be priced higher than the Tesla?

At the end of the day, price is an arbitrary thing, manufacturers set them according to what they perceive the market will accept. Porsche, Mercedes Rolls Royce, Bentley, etc set their price high, knowing there is a market for their brand and their products. Toyota doesn't set the price of a Camry sky high simply because they know the market won't accept a Camry priced that high. 

A Model 3 is priced quite reasonably, considering the content. It's a cheap interior and hence justified the cheaper price. A Model S/X basically has the same cheap interior, it really doesn't justify the much higher price, why should someone pay that much more for almost the same car in the same brand? VAG could get away with pricing their Touareg, Q7, Cayenne, Bentayga, Urus they way they are because they are under different brands with different brand power and content. This argument is proven in the market place already, ever since the Model 3 came out, it has been eating into Model S sales more than eating into other brands. Tesla sells more Model 3s at the expense of Model S.

Tesla has to price the Model S over $100k simply because the cost of the car is high, they won't make any money at all if they price it lower. It's a FORCED pricing, that doesn't mean it's a luxury car. It simply doesn't have the content to match the 'luxury' label. 

Now back to the Taycan vs Model S pricing. Is the Taycan from Porsche worth more than the Tesla? The simple answer is yes. Taycan is from Porsche, a brand with a much higher brand power than Tesla, so even if the Taycan is exactly the same as the Tesla, it can still command a higher price. Then look at the content, the Taycan interior is light years more luxurious than a Model S, that also warrant a higher price. 2 for 2 now. Performance, Taycan is the fastest sedan on the Ring, Tesla Model S is no where to be found on the records, the only one attempt has it going into limp mode not even half way into the lap, objectively, that's a win for Porsche again. So the Porsche can also command a higher price from the performance stand point. How about usability? Tesla boast a longer range, is that meaningful for a higher price? A diesel A8 has longer range than a S8, but the S8 is more expensive, actually all diesel powered cars have longer range than their gasoline counterparts but the diesel cars are the cheaper one.

These are all objective arguments, has nothing to do about the perceived bias against Tesla. 

Now if you have a problem with saying the Camry comparison, then let's say the Model S is a Lexus LS. A proper 'luxury' sedan. Let's also pretend the Tesla interior is on par with the Lexus. Now look at the Bentley Flying Spur (yes I keep using that car, as I do really like it). Both are ICE cars. Both are 4 door sedans and positioned as such. Should they be compared against each other? If one say the Taycan is comparable to a Model S cause they are both 4 door EV, then the LS has to be comparable to the Bentley. But most people do not compare the Bentley with the Lexus or cross shop them. Heck the Bentley really don't have a comparable except maybe the Rolls Royce Ghost. If a Flying Spur is not comparable to the LS, then why should Taycan a comparable to the Model S?

As I said before, the Taycan is not a competitor, it is the car that sits on top of the Model S, just like Flyings Spur sits on top of the Lexus LS. And the Taycan's appearance means there is a hole for Tesla to move up in pricing if they can update the interior to match the price.

You know, this is actually more about the perceived bias from the Americans, not from the rest of the world. Tesla is an American company, Americans would wanted their own company to be competitive against the rest of the world. But for RoW, it's just another car company making cars, nationality has no bearing, it's the products that was produced that counts. Maybe the Germans will have some bias for their own like the Americans do, but I am not even German nor American, I am a Canadian from Hong Kong, so I really have no bias one way or another with nationality of a car company. I just look at the product period. 

--

Seriously, if someone take off their American goggles, or German goggles, and see things from a 3rd party point of view where none of the cars are domestic but imports, the picture is much much clearer. Model S simply isn't in the same class as the Taycan, apart from being a 4 door EV sedan, they are as similar as a Camry vs a Flying Spur. 

--

Interesting video of the new Taycan driven by a Porsche engineer tasked with AWD development at Porsche’s Atlanta facility.  https://youtu.be/rFVp7apjZZ8

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759403 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433635 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259704 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256833 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80558 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870605 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805578 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM