Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ferrari is acting stupid

I with you, I see a cheap attempt at some free publicity using Ferrari's trademark, it is not like he is wearing his shoes and takes a picture next to his Ferrari, he placed the shoes on top of a Ferrari   positioned like in a display and carefully placing the Ferrari script and logo in the frame... as Ferrari says, it interferes with those licensees that have the right to promote their shoes with the Ferrari trademark

Just look at how he is spinning it for publicity https://www.instagram.com/p/B0mLMSyB41v/

BTW, his shoes are beyond tasteless not to mention the video, I'm still laughing  https://www.instagram.com/p/B0V9PsGBqdB/

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

IMO this Mr. Plein intended all this, and the images in question were carefully designed to provoke Ferrari, which remember is now a public company with a duty to protect its shareholder interests.  He will milk it for a while, watch his business go up, and quietly take the offending images down.  Job done...

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

Gauss:

Ok, I might be in a minority, but doesn't Ferrari have a point ?

He's using the Ferrari brand to promote his own products (implying that there's a link between owning his shoes and owning a Ferrari = success)...that can't be right. Yes, he's using a private account and not his company's, but a lot of his customers are following him on his social accounts. Ferrari won't succeed in a lawsuit, I assume, but I have to agree with Ferrari on this. 

Now, if it were a simple snapshot that he shared among his friends in a bar or restaurant for the purpose of bragging, or what not, then it would be ok I guess, but on social media, where hundreds of thousands can see it as free advertising at the expense of Ferrari, I'm not sure.

One is in that same minority.  Ferrari has a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders to protect its trademarks and other forms of intellectual property from which it derives significant financial value.  As someone pointed out above, Ferrari has a marketing agreement with Puma with Puma being the official licensee of certain assets of Ferrari's intellectual property including its name and marque badge for articles of clothing and footwear.  That is an exclusive agreement between Ferrari and Puma.   

While Mr. Plein may have posted on his private instagram account, this form of social media is an extension of his brand; therefore, that posting is an advertisement for Plein's brand.  Ferrari's attorneys can readily make an alter ego statement regarding the use of Plein's alleged private social media accounts.  

Jalopnik.com recently had an article on Porsche's efforts to fight counterfeiters of its products.  This is similar to what Ferrari is doing with its cease-and-desist letter to Plein.  Counterfeiting an article of clothing has minimal downside risk to the consumer beyond disappointment in the quality of the product.  Counterfeiting components of a car can lead to a greater risk of bodily injury or death.  Counterfeiting is a major issue with commercial aircraft parts.  No one would want to fly on an airplane that has mission critical components that fail that manufacturer's specifications.  

absent:

If I were ever in a situation like that that, my written response would be: go fuck yourself or if you can’t, you can suck my dick.

I’ve paid my hard earned $$$ for your shitty and overpriced product and now I OWN it, I can use it, piss on it, have sex with a hooker on it’s roof and you can kiss my ass.

Smiley You know Philipp Plein well... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

GT3ZZZ:

Ferrari is so far up its own arse, it's not true.

You would think they would have a bit of humility being humbled by AMG week after week.

SmileySmileySmiley

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

absent:

If I were ever in a situation like that that, my written response would be: go fuck yourself or if you can’t, you can suck my dick.

I’ve paid my hard earned $$$ for your shitty and overpriced product and now I OWN it, I can use it, piss on it, have sex with a hooker on it’s roof and you can kiss my ass.

to the point !

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

If he lands on their blacklist, he better contact Chris Harris for tips.

hes is a class D designer at best...in fact he is not even a fashion designer in the real sense....he is a marketing guy that produces fashion that I personally find tasteless and vulgar....and I am into fashion.....

but overall I feel Ferrari should have just ignored it all...

--

Ferrari will find plenty to sue here

ef3660f73579eb3b716875a44320053f.jpg

OR here. Their lawyers will have their hands full Smiley

9d4380b46b5a24d8ce87db4494b0370c.jpg

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

You mean the ugly red painted wheels? I agree; they should sue.

intouch1:

hes is a class D designer at best...in fact he is not even a fashion designer in the real sense....he is a marketing guy that produces fashion that I personally find tasteless and vulgar....and I am into fashion.....

That's why Ferrari is acting stupid. There is no way either Ferrari or Puma is losing money over the instagram post. In essence, Ferrari played into this guy's hands. He will make money though no doubt he will lose allocations in the future. But he can always buy used.

--

Assume most people are stupid and hope they surprise you.

You actually believe that Plein actually thought his actions through that far?  Media reports that this was the first effort Ferrari made to address the issue.

CGX car nut:

You actually believe that Plein actually thought his actions through that far?  Media reports that this was the first effort Ferrari made to address the issue.

I can’t say what he thought through but this much I can surmise, he was trying to sell his shoes by linking them to Ferrari. Once Ferrari responded as they did, Plein was smart enough to see the goldmine he was handed. That’s why Ferrari acted stupid. 

--

nberry:
    intouch1:

That's why Ferrari is acting stupid. There is no way either Ferrari or Puma is losing money over the instagram post. In essence, Ferrari played into this guy's hands. He will make money though no doubt he will lose allocations in the future. But he can always buy used.

--

I think Ferrari would be very foolish to p.ss him really off by refusing to sell him cars. Plein is a highly intelligent egomaniac, he will get his payback, even if it would only mean telling every single person he meets not to buy a Ferrari. Smiley He is influential, he knows many important people, Ferrari shouldn't take this lightly. You don't go to war (as a company) with someone who has a big company himself, who is (more or less) in the (media) spotlight and who meets a lot of "important" (for Ferrari, speaking of customers) people. I know that Ferrari probably couldn't care less since they sell every single car they make but today is today and tomorrow the game could already be different, so I would be very very careful if I were them. Their legal department (or the law firm hired) certainly didn't do the company any good, besides the great "advertisement" for Plein and his company. Foolish.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

If he was really smart he would be using Fiat 500's in his ads and Fiat would pay him!

RC:
    nberry:
    intouch1:

--

I think Ferrari would be very foolish to p.ss him really off by refusing to sell him cars. Plein is a highly intelligent egomaniac, he will get his payback, even if it would only mean telling every single person he meets not to buy a Ferrari. Smiley He is influential, he knows many important people, Ferrari shouldn't take this lightly. You don't go to war (as a company) with someone who has a big company himself, who is (more or less) in the (media) spotlight and who meets a lot of "important" (for Ferrari, speaking of customers) people. I know that Ferrari probably couldn't care less since they sell every single car they make but today is today and tomorrow the game could already be different, so I would be very very careful if I were them. Their legal department (or the law firm hired) certainly didn't do the company any good, besides the great "advertisement" for Plein and his company. Foolish.

I don't know, don't think he is that influential, especially next to a company like Ferrari, for two reasons, one is that I never heard of him and probably most here neither, and second, I don't see many people taking his opinion seriously, he is vulgar and tasteless and not only his shoes, his whole image, so I don't think he carries much respect in high places... It's a drop of water in the ocean for Ferrari imo.

--

Well known designer over here. (Not a fan but the guy is a pretty big name in fashion)

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

His taste or design style or lack of it is irrelevant here.

what is troubling is the fact Ferrari is going after him for having his own, paid for car ( an overpriced hunk of metal Ferrari already got the money for), in a photshoot of his products, among other equally super cars, cars are just in the background and he is not using their trademarks or symbols or name on any of his products.

Ferrari can go pound sand, to be polite this time.....

are we still discussing this ? heart

its fast food media in today forgotten 2 hours later...

--

And now we all know him and will never forget his shoes ..   smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

I don't think I can ever forget those shoes 

--

nberry:
    CGX car nut:

I can’t say what he thought through but this much I can surmise, he was trying to sell his shoes by linking them to Ferrari. Once Ferrari responded as they did, Plein was smart enough to see the goldmine he was handed. That’s why Ferrari acted stupid. 

By your argument, companies should not take any effort to protect their intellectual properties.  Most of the accrued market value of today's publicly-traded company arises from its intangible assets, not physical assets.  Since intellectual properties are non-rivalry assets, meaning that multiple parties can use the same asset at the same time, the only means of protecting the use of those assets are through the legal system.  This is exactly what Ferrari is doing against Plein.  Ferrari and other brands are always proactively protecting its intellectual property and this is just one, relatively small example of that enforcement.  There is nothing stupid about it.  

Hmm, a pair of neon shoes sitting on a back window with a small Ferrari logo is enough to start a shit storm? Seriously?

Had they ignored the instagram how would their brand been compromised? By starting this fight, it gave exposure to a fashion designer and exposed Ferrari to ridicule. If Plein continued with other fashion wear linked to Ferrari then I can see Ferrari sending warning letters.

--

nberry:

Hmm, a pair of neon shoes sitting on a back window with a small Ferrari logo is enough to start a shit storm? Seriously?

Had they ignored the instagram how would their brand been compromised? By starting this fight, it gave exposure to a fashion designer and exposed Ferrari to ridicule. If Plein continued with other fashion wear linked to Ferrari then I can see Ferrari sending warning letters.

Very well said. Smiley

--

Philip Plein looks to me like some tasteless shitty overpriced stuff for posers and playboys. After wachting his videos on social media I would sue him for character assassination if I would be Ferrari!

Sir_Ferrari:

Philip Plein looks to me like some tasteless shitty overpriced stuff for posers and playboys.

Some people say the same thing about a lot of cars we members own on hereyes

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

Most folks think Ferraris are owned by “posers and playboys” as you call them.

So, “Sir_Ferrari”, are you a poser also?Smiley

Sir_Ferrari:

Philip Plein looks to me like some tasteless shitty overpriced stuff for posers and playboys. After wachting his videos on social media I would sue him for character assassination if I would be Ferrari!

Whenever I join a cars and coffee event or something similar in Germany, there are at least one or two persons with Plein stuff on them (mostly shirts and mostly men but I've seen women as well, even my wife has a shirt from Plein with a skull on it). Overpriced? I don't know. This is the typical fashion stuff, so yes...it is probably overpriced but the quality is usually OK (don't know about Plein specifically though).

I know many people who call for example Louis Vuitton stuff crap but I have to say that my wife has bags from over 10 years ago, bags she really handled without any mercy and they are almost still looking as new. One of her employees bought a "high quality" fake in Turkey and after six months, the material started to disintegrate by itself. Smiley Smiley

--

Vuitton is not crap. it is a well established brand with a heritage and quality to match....

there are many brands like plein that come and go and no one remembers them. good for him and less than marginal for the world indecision

--

Exotics have been in hip hop videos for ages and yet....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689388 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409108 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234960 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65510 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857903 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773930 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM