Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

News of the week...

Tesla Model 3 beats EV cannonball record by crossing the US from east to west in just 48 hours and 10 minutes, beating the previous record by 2 hours!

For reference, the last Cannonball Run race in 1979 was won by a Jaguar XJS in 32 hours 51 minutes... Smiley

SciFrog:

Others have to do full redesign because they cannot drop the price. Tesla can wait for a full redesign and keep giving it great incremental upgrades in the meantime.

If you can sell a technology product only through price reductions you will be out of the market soon. The message tonthe consumer could not be a bigger disaster.

Carlos from Spain:

The Model S looks ok for a sedan though starting to look a bit dated by now, but the other models are very unappealing to put it very very nicely, emasculated would be one way to describe them.

Very dated indeed Smiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

News of the week...

Tesla Model 3 beats EV cannonball record by crossing the US from east to west in just 48 hours and 10 minutes, beating the previous record by 2 hours!

For reference, the last Cannonball Run race in 1979 was won by a Jaguar XJS in 32 hours 51 minutes... Smiley

Here is that record-breaking EV drive in a Tesla Model 3 from east to west...

...and here's a film about the original Cannonball Run...

1554541446878image.gif

I'll take the original Cannonball Run and the black Lamborghini Countach from the movie.

CGX car nut:

I'll take the original Cannonball Run and the black Lamborghini Countach from the movie.

Smiley Smiley Incl. the driver...or passenger, I don't care. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

Others have to do full redesign because they cannot drop the price. Tesla can wait for a full redesign and keep giving it great incremental upgrades in the meantime.

If you can sell a technology product only through price reductions you will be out of the market soon. The message tonthe consumer could not be a bigger disaster.

Not if your goal is to flood the market and bring revenue to launch other models... Again, you keep applying old dinosaurs ideas and methods to something that is just different coming from a startup company. Just to give you one hint at how different it is, production costs of the Model 3 have dropped by 50% in one year.

Model S sales are not going down because the car is old and outdated, because the tech inside it keeps evolving at a fast pace. It is still as of today the fastest and the longest range EV on the planet. Also I have never heard anyone say that it was old and certainly no one says it is outdated, on the contrary, it is still as the forefront of tech with EV and the giant screen and autopilot. They are selling less because the Model 3 is just a much better value... Tesla shot themselves in the foot but there was no way around it. Now let’s see how the others don’t shoot themselves in the foot with their own lines. So far VW has dodged it by releasing inferior products (ETron and now Etron 50 vs Q7/8) or different models not competing with something else in the line (Porsche).

That’s not to say Tesla is out of the woods, there is a lot of wood to chop, but once again your comments are off the mark and biased Smiley

MKSGR:
    Carlos from Spain:

The Model S looks ok for a sedan though starting to look a bit dated by now, but the other models are very unappealing to put it very very nicely, emasculated would be one way to describe them.

Very dated indeed Smiley

Hilarious comments Smiley

Tesla Model 3 batteries show impressive fire resistance despite damage from high-speed crash

https://apple.news/AsRCus9j6T9i7wY2NEWfNVw

Meanwhile Audi impresses the world worth their latest EV offering:

Audi unveils cheaper e-tron electric SUV with smaller battery pack:

https://apple.news/AFaLMFmMoRv-NFDWIhl7KJw

25% smaller pack, so probably 150 miles EPA range, 120 miles real range, less than 80 miles in the winter. 0-60 in 7 seconds. The only reason I can see for them to release this is to show how « premium » are the performance of the regular ETron (which we know are sub-par). Such a low range is only good for city vars, but the ETron is way too big for a European city car especially that only seats 5.

Tesla triples European sales in first half of 2019 as regional car market drops 7.9%

https://apple.news/AgkBWOs7OQAuIk9tra1_Dpw

of note:

The company increased its market share in Germany this past April despite a declining auto market in the country and even captured sales numbers that gave Tesla more monthly sales than luxury brands Alfa Romeo and Lexus.

SciFrog:

Tesla Model 3 batteries show impressive fire resistance despite damage from high-speed crash

https://apple.news/AsRCus9j6T9i7wY2NEWfNVw

Meanwhile Audi impresses the world worth their latest EV offering:

Audi unveils cheaper e-tron electric SUV with smaller battery pack:

https://apple.news/AFaLMFmMoRv-NFDWIhl7KJw

25% smaller pack, so probably 150 miles EPA range, 120 miles real range, less than 80 miles in the winter. 0-60 in 7 seconds. The only reason I can see for them to release this is to show how « premium » are the performance of the regular ETron (which we know are sub-par). Such a low range is only good for city vars, but the ETron is way too big for a European city car especially that only seats 5.

Why do you care if Audi becomes a marketplace failure?  Continued lack of competition is only a benefit to Tesla as it struggles to gain a level of sustained profitability.  

CGX car nut:
    SciFrog:

Meanwhile Audi impresses the world worth their latest EV offering

Audi unveils cheaper e-tron electric SUV with smaller battery pack

Why do you care if Audi becomes a marketplace failure?  Continued lack of competition is only a benefit to Tesla as it struggles to gain a level of sustained profitability.  

There is a risk that Tesla loses market share to Audi when the e-tron GT is released...

1564689154430image.jpeg

...developed alongside the Porsche Taycan! Smiley

Tesla loses market share as the entire Volkswagen Group releases new product.  One of the biggest hits will be the upcoming EV variant of the Porsche Macan.  One finds it ironic that the EV cultists promote the benefits of at-home charging overnight, yet condemn an EV for not having enough range.  The range issue is rendered moot, when one considers the average distance the average motorist drives on a daily basis.  Anything over 200 kilometers is more than adequate for virtually all drivers, on a daily basis.  

SciFrog:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

Not if your goal is to flood the market and bring revenue to launch other models... Again, you keep applying old dinosaurs ideas and methods to something that is just different coming from a startup company. Just to give you one hint at how different it is, production costs of the Model 3 have dropped by 50% in one year.

Model S sales are not going down because the car is old and outdated, because the tech inside it keeps evolving at a fast pace. It is still as of today the fastest and the longest range EV on the planet. Also I have never heard anyone say that it was old and certainly no one says it is outdated, on the contrary, it is still as the forefront of tech with EV and the giant screen and autopilot. They are selling less because the Model 3 is just a much better value... Tesla shot themselves in the foot but there was no way around it. Now let’s see how the others don’t shoot themselves in the foot with their own lines. So far VW has dodged it by releasing inferior products (ETron and now Etron 50 vs Q7/8) or different models not competing with something else in the line (Porsche).

That’s not to say Tesla is out of the woods, there is a lot of wood to chop, but once again your comments are off the mark and biased Smiley

Model S looks like an old car. I can no longer look at it. And - I know you like it, but sorry I have to say it -  Model X is an ugly van that could also be the next Prius. These cars are not trendy but old. And sales are going down. That is: Tesla is in big trouble and lowering prices only signals this existential problem even to the dumbest consumer.

If you have to sell cheap you sell crap. Old wisdom every human being undrstands.

IMG_0566.JPG

Need EV car charger I remote locations? A diesel powered generator charger is the answer!!

--

indecision

“It would not surprise me if there was about 25 percent infiltration from other companies, like Ford, Chevy… That is just there throwing monkey wrenches into it”

Some interesting numbers.

YTD European sales number: (Jan-May)

Tesla Model X --- 380, 338, 874, 274, 704

Audi e-Tron --- 431, 398, 1791, 990, 1200

USA sales number: April-July (e-Tron didn't officially go on sale until April)

Tesla Model X --- 1050, 1375, 2725, 1225

Audi e-Tron --- 253, 856, 726, 678

--

schmoell:

“It would not surprise me if there was about 25 percent infiltration from other companies, like Ford, Chevy… That is just there throwing monkey wrenches into it”

That's the key takeaway I got too.

Tesla grew too fast too quickly, they need to scale back the growth plan in order to get the company in order for it to succeed.

--

Whoopsy:

Some interesting numbers.

YTD European sales number: (Jan-May)

Tesla Model X --- 380, 338, 874, 274, 704

Audi e-Tron --- 431, 398, 1791, 990, 1200

USA sales number: April-July (e-Tron didn't officially go on sale until April)

Tesla Model X --- 1050, 1375, 2725, 1225

Audi e-Tron --- 253, 856, 726, 678

Didnt think the E-tron sold so many units...

Do you know how many Taycans will Porsche be able to deliver per month on the first year considering it's sold out already?

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

The car is basically locked in, not much, nothing can change now a month away from it's showing, suppliers should be making and stock piling parts already. 

Now every production has a ramp up time, but like every other normal car makers in the world, that's a easy step up, they should hit at least 2000 units by the 2nd month.

They were targeting 20,000 units initially, I believe that number has been revised up to 30,000 already. Might even hit 40,000 units. They already did almost 40,000 units for Panamera for 2018.

The Taycan factory is state of the art, more advanced than Leipzig, hitting high numbers is not a problem. Getting cars out of the tiny village of Zuffenhausen might be the problem I think. 

I think the factory runs 280-290 days a year, so that's about 1000 cars a day, plus another 300 or so from the 911/718 side. 300% more cars needed to be transported. 

1000 cars a day ~ a minute a car off the line per 2 8hr shifts a day. Not impossible for modern car productions. But I believe Porsche runs 100 seconds stations, that would means 3 shifts a day 24hrs continuously. 

--

Very interesting

Should be a big success for Porsche, not only economically but also imagewise for the brand, coming out with the premium flagship EV in the world market.

--

Tesla is first in developing lightweight exterior paint programs.  

https://insideevs.com/news/363703/more-tesla-model-3-paint-problems/

Really need to give it to Musk for building such a stellar quality product.

Carlos from Spain:

Very interesting

Should be a big success for Porsche, not only economically but also imagewise for the brand, coming out with the premium flagship EV in the world market.

Only if the Taycan top version can at least keep up (straight line) with the latest version of the P100D.

Porsche shouldn't underestimate the power of social media, they certainly don't want to watch YouTube videos of the Taycan Turbo S (or whatever the top model will be named) to "loose" vs. the P100D on the drag strip. I know this sounds infantile but this is how the (car) world rolls... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Not really, Porsche has never been about 0-60 times, it is about real world performance, drive feel, etc.

--

Carlos from Spain:

Not really, Porsche has never been about 0-60 times, it is about real world performance, drive feel, etc.

The Taycan is the first performance EV from Porsche, they have to be better than Tesla in the performance department, including straight line. Otherwise their image will be hurt, believe it or not.

--

RC:
    Carlos from Spain:

The Taycan is the first performance EV from Porsche, they have to be better than Tesla in the performance department, including straight line. Otherwise their image will be hurt, believe it or not.

People zoning on the internet and those who actually buy the cars have nothing in common. Most are retarded teenagers or adults who don’t have the means to buy these cars and have never driven one

amazon:
    RC:
    Carlos from Spain:

People zoning on the internet and those who actually buy the cars have nothing in common. Most are retarded teenagers or adults who don’t have the means to buy these cars and have never driven one

We would like to believe this and it may be for the sports cars, but, at least in my time at the dealer, the SUVs seem to be bought by men for their second or trophy wives.  RC is spot on here.  If the Taycan looses the internet races, it loses the keyboard warriors who will influence these discretionary purchases.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689902 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409413 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255825 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235065 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65577 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858161 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774266 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM