Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Corvette C8

nberry:

Unless the C8 quality is shoddy, I don't understand how anyone can justify buying a European sport car over the C8. It is clearly the performance value king which Porsche for many years. Not today. Here is a peak of the C8 convertible.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/07/2020-corvette-convertible-makes-its-debut-in-gm-video/

Nick - It's always been this way.  They've been making the Corvette for 11 years longer than the 911 and it's been objectively better value over nearly that entire time.

What were you doing buying all those Ferraris during the years that Vettes were much better value?  How could anyone justify that?

The truth is that you cannot judge these cars by numbers alone.  A car doesn't have to be poorly built to be uninspiring to drive (not saying this is the case with the C8, nor can you say it's great to drive - yet...).

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Previous vettes were awful in the rain, were cheesy and just bogus  sports cars.

Compared to the C7,  the C8 is from another planet.

I’m always willing to drive with an open mind...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

nberry:

Unless the C8 quality is shoddy, I don't understand how anyone can justify buying a European sport car over the C8. It is clearly the performance value king which Porsche for many years. Not today. Here is a peak of the C8 convertible.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/07/2020-corvette-convertible-makes-its-debut-in-gm-video/

1. Quality: I already noticed that the plastic inside the C8 isn't really of high quality but maybe I'm wrong, I need to see it in person and on an actual production car

2. Looks: I hate how the C8 looks with that rear wing and the back is too Camaro-like. Without wing, the rear is OK but still not really attractive. This will be the first thing which needs to be "corrected"  in a facelift. I can also imagine, judging by the "whole" look of the car, that this car will be branded "the poor man's Ferrari" in Europe, maybe in the US. GM ignored the image of the Corvette in Europe for decades, I wonder if they learned from their mistakes with the new C8 (I guess not).

3. Service: GM cars were often sold in Europe by Opel dealers or dealers who were not part of an official dealer network. Service is/has been often bad, not really worthy for a sports car. GM really needs to up their game in Europe.

4. Prices: A Corvette C7 is around 82k EUR in Europe...grey import. Officially by GM offered cars are over 100k in Europe, I am talking about the base model here. If the prices in Europe come close to Porsche prices, people choose the "real" thing. Also keep in mind that Porsche has a reputation of having a low(er) fuel consumption, this is (as weird as this may sound) an important thing for many European buyers.

5. Image: Bad image for the Corvette. Not as bad as in the past but still not good enough to compete with Porsche, Jaguar, Maserati or even BMW M and AMG Mercedes. GM needs to do something about it and I think the "right" pricing is important as well. If they want to play in the "big league", they are going to have a tough time in Europe if the prices are too high.

In conclusion, I think that the new C8 is a milestone in the history of the Corvette but it won't change a thing in Europe if GM doesn't start to market this car "right". This won't be easy though because they neglected the past decades.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

In conclusion, I think that the new C8 is a milestone in the history of the Corvette but it won't change a thing in Europe if GM doesn't start to market this car "right". This won't be easy though because they neglected the past decades.

+1

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Grant, I have owned a couple of Corvettes. What changed for me was like all other US cars the quality deteriorated. This was many years ago. Recently with the improvement in quality I have kept an eye on Corvette. I have had issues with its styling particularly the backend AND it’s client base. GM had a similar issue with Cadillac. 

I believe the C8 styling has enough of a European flair that it will attract upscale buyers looking for value in a sport car. Park a C8 next to a 992 and I would wager the C8 gets the most attention. 

Christian, the spoiler on the Performante looks worse than the spoiler on the C8.

--

Assume most people are stupid and hope they surprise you.

I’ve driven many Corvettes including a very valuable and respected 1967 C2 with 427cid/435hp with 4spd.  That was horrid to drive, but looks great.  Some of the newer ones were impressive to drive, but not engaging somehow.

--

nberry:

I believe the C8 styling has enough of a European flair that it will attract upscale buyers looking for value in a sport car. Park a C8 next to a 992 and I would wager the C8 gets the most attention.

Put a thurd on your head and you will get more attention than both yes

This is where we differ from the US: less attention is better around here. 

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

spudgun:
    nberry:

If you believe that you have a turd IN your head. Smiley

--

spudgun:

That is my preference too.  I particularly would rather not be noticed by the police ;)

--

nberry:

Grant, I have owned a couple of Corvettes. What changed for me was like all other US cars the quality deteriorated. This was many years ago. Recently with the improvement in quality I have kept an eye on Corvette. I have had issues with its styling particularly the backend AND it’s client base. GM had a similar issue with Cadillac. 

Christian, the spoiler on the Performante looks worse than the spoiler on the C8.

Your opinion, not mine. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Grant:
    spudgun:

That is my preference too.  I particularly would rather not be noticed by the police ;)

All Porsche's with wings are noticed by the police.Smiley

Seriously, please don't tell me you don't like the cache of driving around in a Porsche. You're a track dog and for what you spent on your GT3 you could have spent a lot less for similar performance. Your 73 RS probably provides you with then same fun as the GT3. The difference is it nice to be seen driving the latest and greatest Porsche.

Christian, you have to admit with the Lambo rakish styling a puny tail on the back looks out of place. Its function over form. Hmm, where have I heard this before.SmileySmiley

--

Are you serious? I love the Performante wing and so does every single person I ever met and/or talked to. Even my wife likes it and she usually hates wings. Actually, the Performante wing made her think about a GT3 as her next car. Smiley 

Are you sure you've ever seen a Performante in person? Smiley Not even close to the design of the new C8 and I really like the C8 (minus that weird looking Camaro back and wing).

I get your enthusiasm about the new C8 but please, a Huracan is in a completely different (design) league. Smiley

Many people say the new C8 looks like a Ferrari but what I see is more of a Japanese design language similar to the modern NSX. It is a very very nice looking car (again...minus that Camaro rear and wing) but let's be real here, it is not in the same ballpark with Lamborghini or even Ferrari design. Smiley

1XJeUDyoaTJmd67tytm9Lg-24bc99472c0e04187e57466119622555-Chevrolet-Corvette-C8-Stingray-Rear-1100.jpg

AAnUvbW.img.jpeg

--

nberry:

Seriously, please don't tell me you don't like the cache of driving around in a Porsche. You're a track dog and for what you spent on your GT3 you could have spent a lot less for similar performance. Your 73 RS probably provides you with then same fun as the GT3. The difference is it nice to be seen driving the latest and greatest Porsche.

Yes, the 73RS is just as fun on the track.  I have been buying new ones for the opportunity to do Euro Delivery including many track days abroad (and the fact that the cost of doing so is reasonable with the included insurance and strong resale values).  Otherwise, I wouldn't consider a new Porsche.  Most people I know have never seen my GT3 nor me driving around in it.

--

nberry:
    spudgun:
    nberry:

If you believe that you have a turd IN your head kiss

Man, you should work on your wittiness. This is just so bad, lol.

--

nberry:
    spudgun:
    nberry:

If you believe that you have a turd IN your head. Smiley

It is interesting that you don't really believe what Grant and spudgun are saying. But I swear it is true Nick, try to keep an open mind, for some people the attention the flashier car gets is a negative thing not a positive one. It actually detracts from the driving experience being more noticeable when you drive around with more eyes on you, instead of going under the radar while you are enjoying the sporstcar, and the attention can be even uncomfortable even like walking up to the car to get in it and people looking who's car it is. I do not like it at all personally. So if a parked C8 gets more attention than a 992, that is not a plus for the C8. Don't mind it among fellow sporstcar people like in a meet & drive, but not around strangers or people I know that are not car people.

Of course there is some attention you have to live with in order to enjoy the car you like, but it is a negative consequence, the positive one is actually driving the car, and that is where "how the car drives" that Grant mentioned comes in. Another positive side is that YOU as the owner may enjoy looking at the car and how it looks in spite of the attention it gets and so you get it anyway. So the "Ferrari" styling is not the best quality of the C8, especially that rear (ignoring that awful interior) but if it drives well, then at that price it could be a great buy in the states... in Europe it is a different story unfortunately for the reasons Christian already mentioned above.

--

No Carlos! 

According to our good friend Nberry we, as Europeans, don’t know the car culture in Europe. yes

--

spudgun:

No Carlos! 

According to our good friend Nberry we, as Europeans, don’t know the car culture in Europe. yes

Smiley Smiley

To Nick's defense, I have to say that the reaction to my new Huracan Performante surprised me myself. Maybe it is the color (maybe not, Rossi had the same experience so far and his color is much flashier), maybe it is because it is an exotic car, I don't have a clue but my experience has been extremely positive so far. Completely different from my Porsche years experience, which is pretty weird, especially since Porsche cars are really "stealth" in Germany, you see one at almost every street corner. Smiley

--

I'm not really taking about negative attention, positive attention is uncomfortable too, like having to respond to thumbs up, people taking photos or getting close behind to see the car, people gossiping, drivers around paying attentione to how fast your driving or how you accelerate, etc...

--

European car manufacturers emphasis styling more so than US car companies do. How many colors does Porsche offer? I read on this site that last year no two 911's ordered were alike. So if Europeans are looking for the understated why don't European car companies know that?

I have posted this before and I will post it again. For most of us the car we drive in many ways defines us. Now some would rather bullshit to themselves and say no, no, I wish my Porsche or whatever European model I own was under a blanket or a bushel basket so that no one would see it. Right. Total nonsense. 

Do you realize that the thread on the site that get the most post is on watches? For a culture that wants to remain unnoticed, walking around with a $10-20,000 watch on your wrist is not the way to do it. Gentlemen look inward and be honest to yourselves. Owning a luxury sport car that looks good and sounds great for all the public to see is one of the joys of car ownership.

--

nberry:

European car manufacturers emphasis styling more so than US car companies do. How many colors does Porsche offer? I read on this site that last year no two 911's ordered were alike. So if Europeans are looking for the understated why don't European car companies know that?

I have posted this before and I will post it again. For most of us the car we drive in many ways defines us. Now some would rather bullshit to themselves and say no, no, I wish my Porsche or whatever European model I own was under a blanket or a bushel basket so that no one would see it. Right. Total nonsense. 

Do you realize that the thread on the site that get the most post is on watches? For a culture that wants to remain unnoticed, walking around with a $10-20,000 watch on your wrist is not the way to do it. Gentlemen look inward and be honest to yourselves. Owning a luxury sport car that looks good and sounds great for all the public to see is one of the joys of car ownership.

The car I am most often driving and seen in is a 14 year old Japanese econobox - it does not hurt my self esteem...

--

Grant:
    nberry:

The car I am most often driving and seen in is a 14 year old Japanese econobox - it does not hurt my self esteem...

Grant its because you also own a GT3 and a 73 RS.Smiley You may be one of the few that feels otherwise. Buffet drives an 88 Oldsmobile. He doesn't need a car to inflate his ego. His money does and he know everyone knows it. The majority of the luxury car buyers want to be seen and defined by their cars. Ferrari, Porsch, Aston Martin and the rest of them rely on that fact and they have surveys proving it.Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:

I'm not really taking about negative attention, positive attention is uncomfortable too, like having to respond to thumbs up, people taking photos or getting close behind to see the car, people gossiping, drivers around paying attentione to how fast your driving or how you accelerate, etc...

Oh, this kind of attention is OK, especially since I get it on weekends only. Smiley I started to confront this attention actively, by offering kids to sit in the car and people to have a closer look. Never thought I'd actually do that because I am usually more distant and detached. I cannot say I enjoy this attention but I try not to be an ass and show that I enjoy "sharing" my car with others. Seems to work pretty well so far. Smiley

--

nberry:

95% of the people I know don't have a clue about luxury watches, they (maybe) know what a Rolex is.

I wore my watches on numerous occasions with friends and people I know and only one person noticed an AP. My best friend actually didn't recognize my Rolex, he thought all Rolex watches are gold watches. Smiley Nicest guy you'll ever meet, he is 60 but very pleasant and doesn't have a clue about luxury stuff, even though he is an intellectual and makes good money.   

--

95% of the 911’s I see driving around are black, grey or dark blue. I only see the lava’s, miami’s and kermit’s at car shows or on their way to the track. People just don’t daily flash colours around here, they don’t like the attention.

There are exeptions, I admit. Some people buy a big-wing-RS in a bright colour for the attention, and never hit a track. But those are a very, very small minority.

--

nberry:

Hmmmm... I guess you really can't understand it, interesting, kind of like being able to understand why someone would sometimes rather drive a manual sportscar than an automatic indecision

--

Interesting! maybe a little puffing going on.

2020-chevy-corvette-nearly-sold-out

--

Ferrari fans speaking out regarding the C8.

https://www.motor1.com/features/362366/ferrari-fans-react-corvette-2020/

--

The C8 won't be interesting for Europe since it really seems that GM won't bring the (cheaper) n/a version to Europe due to emissions regulations and adaptations.

GM apparently plans to offer the turbo charged C8 in Europe only, incl. the hybrid version. These cars will cost way over 100k EUR, so take a guess how they will sell in Europe. angry I actually heard that the cheapest version in Europe is supposed to start at around 120k EUR.

The C8 with n/a V8 and for 80k with a few options would have been a home-run in Europe.

A turbo charged C8 for over 100k? Not so much.

--

Smileyspudgun:
    nberry:
    spudgun:
    nberry:

If you believe that you have a turd IN your head kiss

Man, you should work on your wittiness. This is just so bad, lol.

Smiley,

That made me laugh. Nick has always had a thing for the Vettes, going by past comments. Nothing wrong with that though. 

However, the only car I would swap my GT3 for would be the Performante in white with those sexy gold wheels.Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM