Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

Can’t go camping too far in the woods.  The extension cord won’t reach. 

Carlos from Spain:

Could come in handy for when going camping indecision

Speaking of camping: My wife's best friend husband is a camping nut, he loves camping. Of course he loves it because his wife cooks and washes and cleans, it feels like home. Smiley His wife actually hates it but she would never admit it because she knows how much her husband loves it. Smiley My wife told me that she would have never married me if I would have been into camping. She enjoys vacations because she gets away from home and work and daily routine, camping would be pure horror for her (and for me as well). Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I've never liked camping, not my thing either indecision ... And those camping caravans on the road, what a nuisance they are, I would make them illegal if I could angry

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

The beauty of vertical integration

I prefer this kind of transportation in Las Vegas... Smiley

https://www.royaltyexoticcars.com

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Back on topic, more delays:

Tesla aims for Roadster 'hover' test with SpaceX package late next year, Elon Musk says

https://apple.news/AqptjD-cARs-LjBzgwghC9w

The new X Shore Eelex 800 may be electric but it’s also fast, fun and surprisingly sexy

https://apple.news/AP5r_f81lMWOvSVvdVRe0vw

Along the same lines, I have been intrigued by this:

https://www.silent-yachts.com/silent80/

Unlimited range at 6-8knt, top speed 12-15 in electric, 20 in hybrid.

New mid-engine Chevrolet Corvette to become electric...probably

https://apple.news/AyLsL1QUsRCS7rIx8LRwuNw

GM President Mark Reuss:

At the Detroit Auto Show earlier this year, Reuss said hybrids were a “countermeasure” to ICE cars, and GM would shift its focus to all-electric cars.

Tesla to be more competitive in Europe with upcoming car tax policy update

https://apple.news/Al6_ZC7ryQUiCKygnMG_pMQ

Fascinating to see the roof line of the X sleeker than the X4.. would would have thought...

7E8F9F6C-9781-4B0E-B110-AEFCCF46126F.jpeg

What is fascinating, is that from that angle the X4 kind of looks like a minivan smiley just joking, your post was too obvious and couldn't resist... almo.gif

--

Tesla has revealed its revolutionary new wiring architecture that enables more robot automation in the manufacturing process and uses fewer materials for its upcoming cars like Model Y and Tesla Pickup truck:
    https://electrek.co/2019/07/22/tesla-revolutionary-wiring-architecture-robots-model-y/

Tesla Model Y manufacturing improvements highlighted in published patent application

https://apple.news/AMHTEOx03TVK7sDy2IzqalA

Of note: increased efficiency by 8-10% vs the Model 3... Since the Y is bigger, that probably means same range as the current Model 3 with the same battery. That bodes well for the margins of the Y which should be better than the 3 as they share a lot of common parts.

Tesla’s V3 Supercharger, Tested

https://apple.news/AqIk0vo0kSDG8ud1I3c83Eg

I will save you the long read but Motor Trend measured an actual 180 miles charge in 15 minutes... They also measured 10-70% (186 miles ) in 18 minutes. The ETron will charge 103 miles during the same 18 minutes.

Hi - my first post on the forum - been reading here for a while. Great place!

Wanted to put in my view on Tesla vs the others (my garage includes McLaren 650S, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Audi e-tron and some lesser cars).

I think the Model 3 is a great car loads of fun to drive even in the twisties. And it has a huge gadget appeal which is cool. I see the much touted autopilot also as exactly that - a gadget. Here in busy German traffic, real world benefits aren't huge (yet?). Biggest problem Tesla have (at least here in the DACH region) is the experience interacting with them. They make it as hard as possible to interact with them: Calling a service center - nope - all numbers disconnected. Email them about a problem - auto-reply that you should use the app to make an appointment. Use the app - next appointment in October. You can still call their central hotline, but after an hour with no reply, you give up. As long as they don't fix the user experience after you bought a car, they won't compete with other brands in the luxury segment.

Audi e-tron in comparison: nice relaxing luxurious drive, plenty fast for a family car, very quiet.  Of course, almost any Tesla will wipe the floor with the Audi in a red light race but that's not the point of the car and I couldn't care less. Efficiency: a lot worse the Model 3, cannot compare directly with Model X as I don't have efficiency numbers with my driving style. According to AMS test (who didn't just look at the car display for consumption figures like most youtubers) not a huge difference to Model X (admittedly pre-facelift). Is it important for me? Nope. What is important: had a problem with one of the virtual mirrors (I think still not allowed in US). Called my sales guy (!) at Audi, he arranged everything, appointment within a few days. That makes a difference in user experience. Have to agree with Whoopsy, the touch screen MMI is really not a strong point of the car. But after a couple of weeks, you get used to it and it doesn't bother so much anymore ;-)

As mentioned above user experience interacting with Tesla as a company might be better in other regions. Here in Germany it is currently unacceptable (was much better 7 years ago when I had a Tesla Roadster).

Cheers, Wolfgang

WoP:

Wanted to put in my view on Tesla vs the others (my garage includes McLaren 650S, Tesla Model 3 Performance, Audi e-tron and some lesser cars).

I think the Model 3 is a great car loads of fun to drive even in the twisties. And it has a huge gadget appeal which is cool. I see the much touted autopilot also as exactly that - a gadget. Here in busy German traffic, real world benefits aren't huge (yet?). Biggest problem Tesla have (at least here in the DACH region) is the experience interacting with them. They make it as hard as possible to interact with them: Calling a service center - nope - all numbers disconnected. Email them about a problem - auto-reply that you should use the app to make an appointment. Use the app - next appointment in October. You can still call their central hotline, but after an hour with no reply, you give up. As long as they don't fix the user experience after you bought a car, they won't compete with other brands in the luxury segment.

Audi e-tron in comparison: nice relaxing luxurious drive, plenty fast for a family car, very quiet.  Of course, almost any Tesla will wipe the floor with the Audi in a red light race but that's not the point of the car and I couldn't care less. Efficiency: a lot worse the Model 3, cannot compare directly with Model X as I don't have efficiency numbers with my driving style. According to AMS test (who didn't just look at the car display for consumption figures like most youtubers) not a huge difference to Model X (admittedly pre-facelift). Is it important for me? Nope. What is important: had a problem with one of the virtual mirrors (I think still not allowed in US). Called my sales guy (!) at Audi, he arranged everything, appointment within a few days. That makes a difference in user experience. Have to agree with Whoopsy, the touch screen MMI is really not a strong point of the car. But after a couple of weeks, you get used to it and it doesn't bother so much anymore ;-)

As mentioned above user experience interacting with Tesla as a company might be better in other regions. Here in Germany it is currently unacceptable (was much better 7 years ago when I had a Tesla Roadster).

Cheers, Wolfgang

Couldn't agree more. I need some things fixed in my P100D and the wait time for a service is more than 2 month. Even worse, a friend bought a new P100D a couple of month ago and Tesla refused to give him the car the other day because prices were raised meanwhile. And to prove your point, he found no way to talk to someone at Tesla about this. I still love the car, but the organization over here is a big mess.

BTW: Welcome to Rennteam, the shark tank of car forums :) 

Andrej Karpathy [1] is one of the rock stars in AI these days, working for Tesla and a very very smart person. Last month he gave a talk titled "Multi-Task Learning in the Wilderness" which I found very interesting, because it touches a lot of the complexity involved in autonomous driving and how Teslas tries to make it work. There is a long version which requires registration [1] and short version on YouTube [2]. 

[1]  https://medium.com/@karpathy
    [2]  https://slideslive.com/38917690/multitask-learning-in-the-wilderness
    [3]  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CgxFDc8Ja0

WoP:

Cheers, Wolfgang

Very interesting read & welcome to Rennteam Smiley

MKSGR:
    WoP:

Cheers, Wolfgang

Very interesting read & welcome to Rennteam Smiley

+1 on both counts

--

Concur.  Thank you for the information on Tesla Service in Germany and welcome to the RT!

Thank you for the warm welcome wink

One more comment on Auto Pilot / Adaptive cruise control Tesla vs Audi. It's pretty clear the Tesla system is technologically far ahead of Audi's system. In my opinion, it has the potential to go up to level 4 (5 I don't really believe with current hardware ).

Both systems want to make sure the driver is still there and alert. In the Tesla I have to move the steering wheel a bit for this. If I move too much, the steering assistant switches off which is quite annoying. Audi has some proximity/touch sensor, so it's enough to touch the steering wheel lightly. Question to the American Tesla drivers: do you also actually have to turn the steering wheel regularly to tell the car you're still there or is the US implementation less intrusive?

Steering assistant itself: Tesla is superior, it can do sharper turns, it sometimes even recognizes temporary markings in construction sites. BUT: it's all or nothing. If you don't agree with it, you have to literally "overpower" it and then it switches off. The Audi system is much more subtle, you can correct it if you don't agree (with much less force) but it resumes operation after that without having to switch it on again.

Therefore the current implementation of the Tesla system for me is less useful in everyday driving than the Audi system. I know Tesla cultist will nail me to a cross for that statement. But that's my personal experience with the system. Please don't get me wrong: I don't see any cultists on this board (of course a wide range of sometimes very different opinions, but still based on facts).

A cultist for me is someone who will tell you that

1. a Tesla is always the better car no matter for what you actually wanna use the car for
    2. you're a bad person if you don't agree with 1
    3. if you still have some ICE cars, you have to get rid of them as soon as possible, otherwise 2 applies
    4. if you mention a problem with a Tesla, then you're part of the bad ol' ICE lobby and you just don't see the greatness behind the implementation

Sometimes I see some correlation between those cultists and hardcore vegans

Nobody around here seems so extreme wink And yes, I do like my Model 3, great little car.

Cheers, Wolfgang

Thank you for your first hand experience.

There are no cultists here, just very satisfied Tesla owners who relate their experience, some people wearing blindfolds as to how an American startup has managed to build some of the best cars in the world, and some people who have a personal vested interest to have a vendetta against Tesla and/or Musk. All in common a passion for Automobiles.

Welcome to Renteam wink

SciFrog:

There are no cultists here, just very satisfied Tesla owners who relate their experience, some people wearing blindfolds as to how an American startup has managed to build some of the best cars in the world, and some people who have a personal vested interest to have a vendetta against Tesla and/or Musk. All in common a passion for Automobiles.

That was so nice of you to provide a post with an example of points number 2 and number 4 in the list SmileySmiley

--

WoP:

Sometimes I see some correlation between those cultists and hardcore vegans

No hardcore cultists here but its funny, I've made that same connection a few pages back on this thread Smiley

--

I am a cultist & have zero interest in EVs angry while at the same time I have no particular like/dislike for Elon Musk

WoP:

Welcome! Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Tesla announces an adjusted net loss of $1.12 per share versus the expected loss of $0.31 per share.  Total loss was $408 MM compared to a loss of $702 MM in the Q1 19.

Not unexpected. In fact, the result is as expected as they sold more Model 3s and those Model 3s are cannibalizing their own more expensive Model S and Model X. 

Why buy the much more expensive Model S/X when the cheaper Model 3 will do? Not a perfect replacement but 90% for a fraction of the cost? No brainier.

This past quarter is I believe the first full quarter for the Jaguar i-Pace entering the market. The next quarter will look even worse, with the Audi e-tron in the market for a full quarter also. The one after that would offer some relieve as there should be no new EV coming onto market, but the one after that will be the full force from the Porsche Taycan and the Mercedes EQC. But the only good news is that all the Taycan are pre-sold before delivery, so they had already stole the customers from Tesla, and Tesla technically won't lose more sales to the Taycan. 

Tesla really needs to up it's game, The top end of the EV segment has now been occupied by Porsche and they had no hope of competing. The middle part of the segment will now have plenty of choices for consumers, Jaguar I-Pace, Mercedes EQC, Audi e-tron and Tesla's own Model 3, Model S and Model X. At least they are not into the low and bottom segment which are populated by Nissan Leafs and GM's Bolt and whatnots. 

Now someone will again say Tesla is competing not against other EV but conventional cars. That statement is still wrong. General consumers are still not quite cross shopping either market, they do for an extend hence why the EV market is expanding, but it's not expanding as quickly as the other competitors are coming into the segment. Just for comparison, the whole EV market, top to bottom, is worth perhaps a few months of pickup productions from the Big 3, that's how small that market is relative to the overall automobile market.

Tesla's share of the EV market have peaked. They will never again command virtually 100% of the market, With luck, I believe they could hold onto perhaps just under 20% max of the EV market when the dust settles. As long as Elon doesn't run the company into the ground. 

2020 will be the year of the blood bath in the EV market. 

--

CTO J.B. Straubel resigned today too.   I was told by one of the cultists that there was no validity in the rumor of him leaving the company.  

Whoopsy:

Not unexpected. In fact, the result is as expected as they sold more Model 3s and those Model 3s are cannibalizing their own more expensive Model S and Model X. 

Why buy the much more expensive Model S/X when the cheaper Model 3 will do? Not a perfect replacement but 90% for a fraction of the cost? No brainier.

This past quarter is I believe the first full quarter for the Jaguar i-Pace entering the market. The next quarter will look even worse, with the Audi e-tron in the market for a full quarter also. The one after that would offer some relieve as there should be no new EV coming onto market, but the one after that will be the full force from the Porsche Taycan and the Mercedes EQC. But the only good news is that all the Taycan are pre-sold before delivery, so they had already stole the customers from Tesla, and Tesla technically won't lose more sales to the Taycan. 

Tesla really needs to up it's game, The top end of the EV segment has now been occupied by Porsche and they had no hope of competing. The middle part of the segment will now have plenty of choices for consumers, Jaguar I-Pace, Mercedes EQC, Audi e-tron and Tesla's own Model 3, Model S and Model X. At least they are not into the low and bottom segment which are populated by Nissan Leafs and GM's Bolt and whatnots. 

Now someone will again say Tesla is competing not against other EV but conventional cars. That statement is still wrong. General consumers are still not quite cross shopping either market, they do for an extend hence why the EV market is expanding, but it's not expanding as quickly as the other competitors are coming into the segment. Just for comparison, the whole EV market, top to bottom, is worth perhaps a few months of pickup productions from the Big 3, that's how small that market is relative to the overall automobile market.

Tesla's share of the EV market have peaked. They will never again command virtually 100% of the market, With luck, I believe they could hold onto perhaps just under 20% max of the EV market when the dust settles. As long as Elon doesn't run the company into the ground. 

2020 will be the year of the blood bath in the EV market

Exciting months ahead...IAA in September should be very interesting indeed. However, I doubt that there will be a blood bath, since, IMHO, there is currently no ICE OEM with a real EV history. I do not like the build quality of a Tesla and would always prefer, for example, any Beamer to Tesla, but again, very interesting times we are living in...

Tesla shares are down in Frankfurt by more than 10 % today - perhaps a good opportunity to invest... 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689973 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409451 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255844 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235077 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65588 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858204 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774320 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM