Crown

Board: Lotus Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Lotus Type 130 (electric hypercar)

Or an Apple 1 computer? angry

To me, EV makes more sense for people movers were you are looking for practical transport and you are not looking for emotions, out of all the car classes, sportscars it is where makes less sense in spite the acceleration performance.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Looks old, just some fancy side and rear graphics....

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

SciFrog:

Or an Apple 1 computer? angry

I still have an old Amiga 500 and a C64 lying around, wanna buy them? Smiley

The back room in our garage is full of old tech and this crap is worth nothing. I am just too sentimentally involved to throw everything out but I need to find some (free) time to check every single PC, laptop and whatnot for old photos(!) because I am pretty sure I have some forgotten stuff on them and it would be sad to lose it forever. I started digital photography very early, in 1997 with a Sony Mavica (I wish I still had it), so I am pretty sure there are photos I have already forgotten about, real treats (family, parents,  friends, etc.). 

Speaking of electric cars: It seems that the Lamborghini CEO just recently communicated that Lamborghini won't build pure EVs for the next 15 years and that the future is n/a hybrids for now. Meaning: The Aventador successor next year gets a V12 hybrid and the Huracán successor a V10 hybrid. Even the Urus won't get an EV version, even if I think this could be a mistake because the Urus looks amazing and I am pretty sure that there would be a market for a Urus EV, especially in the US. Apparently Lamborghini also decided to stay below the 10000 cars per year threshold (mainly for strategical reasons, emissions/noise regulations are less strict for smaller manufacturers, even if it got more difficult for them as well), 8000 cars per year on average if possible. This is also supposed to keep the brand exclusive.

On another note, it also seems that BMW is moving away from in-house EV development but no details have been communicated yet. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Lamborghinis are emotional cars, making them EV would kill that, makes no sense, hybrid on the other hand does not kill emotion.

--

Carlos from Spain:

Lamborghinis are emotional cars, making them EV would kill that, makes no sense, hybrid on the other hand does not kill emotion.

This is way too simplistic to characterize it as such. If that was true, why did Porsche made its regular 911 quieter and quieter over the past 5-8 years? Behaviors and public perception are changing, slowly but surely.

It is that simple, nobody would but an EV Performante... just ask Rossi or RC.

911 "Carreras" are quieter due to more and more noise regulations, particle filters and change to turbocharging, not because 911 customers are begging for quieter cars  while they fork several k's on the sport exhaust option...

--

There are no such noise regulation in the USA...

Nobody would buy a Performante EV? Well technically you are correct since this product does not exist nor is it planned. A loud mechanical engine does create some emotions and all of us here are proof of it, but they are not the only ones. Absolute performances also does create emotions, and super fast EV ARE coming with tricks that ICE cars cannot have. There will always be a place for slower louder ICE cars the same way there is a place for vintage cars today and manual transmissions, but “nobody” is once again a too simplistic characterization. I have said it before but I just do not comprehend this “all black or all white” vision of the world. Things do not work like that. It is as ridiculous as Musk touting self driving cars by next year.

Carlos from Spain:

It is that simple, nobody would but an EV Performante... just ask Rossi or RC.

911 "Carreras" are quieter due to more and more noise regulations, particle filters and change to turbocharging, not because 911 customers are begging for quieter cars  while they fork several k's on the sport exhaust option...

--

This is unfortunately true, has nothing to do with customer demand (customers can order cars without sport exhaust). Porsche just wanted (this is what I heard) to avoid future issues regarding noise emissions and the embarrassing aftermath if they need to update the software to mute down the cars (it happened to Audi, ask RS3 owners). Even my E63 S has been muted with the latest software update and there is nothing I can do about it. I already wrote a complaint to AMG but the message is clearly "it is out of our hands...". Next time, no AMG for me anymore. Sorry. I do not buy products from companies which modify their products after I buy them in a way I don't like.

Funny though: I was driving my wife's C63 S Cab (facelift, with particulate filter) last weekend and "met" a guy with a pre-facelift C63 S Coupe. My wife's car sounds better (noticeable deep V8 growl) in the lower rev range, we were both pretty surprised. Weird times.

Was just looking at the Tesla 3 Performance lease offer here in Germany...24 months...1230 EUR per month (initial payment of 4000 EUR is basically "paid" by Tesla and government). For half the money, I would probably try one but 1230 EUR for a Tesla 3 Performance? My wife's C63 S Cab costs less per month. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

They could do this only for the EU and not for the USA, the market is large enough to have their own specs. It is a choice made by Porsche. Turbo charging? Same thing, they could have a N/A regular 911 for the USA. But no, instead they create a GT3 touring and “castrate” it with no PDK and low production.

German manufacturers subsidize their domestic market with cheap leases to move the metal...

SciFrog:

There are no such noise regulation in the USA...

Nobody would buy a Performante EV? Well technically you are correct since this product does not exist nor is it planned. A loud mechanical engine does create some emotions and all of us here are proof of it, but they are not the only ones. Absolute performances also does create emotions, and super fast EV ARE coming with tricks that ICE cars cannot have. There will always be a place for slower louder ICE cars the same way there is a place for vintage cars today and manual transmissions, but “nobody” is once again a too simplistic characterization. I have said it before but I just do not comprehend this “all black or all white” vision of the world. Things do not work like that. It is as ridiculous as Musk touting self driving cars by next year.

It is fascinating that you wound think that the 991.2/992 Carreras got quieter because customers want it that way... you clearly lost touch with 911 or sporstcar customers because it is actually the opposite, the single biggest complain since the move to turbocharging due to stricker emission regulations was the decreased sound, that is why you rarely see 991.2's without the optional sport exhaust.

One of the main reasons people ate buying the Performante is precisely because of that glorious sounding and emotional V10 engine. Unfortunately engines like that are getting quieter but not because of popular demand, but because of more and more strick emissions and noise regulations around the world and specially Europe, where most of these sportscars come from. The only ones wanting quieter sportscars are Tesla drivers...

--

Where did I write customers want their 911 quieter? I am saying the opposite... There are less restrictions in the USA and they could have kept the cars louder regardless of what happens in Europe.

My ICE sport cars are loud and I even fit an aftermarket exhaust to one one them, so once again, your last comment is completely off. Again, why does everything has to be one thing or the exact opposite? Who tells you Tesla drivers want their sport car silent? Ridiculous. Just look at members of this board... Please stop tagging Tesla owners as tree huggers, just look here how many Tesla owners are not. Ecology is at the bottom of the list of why I like my Tesla.

The point I am making is that there will be a place in the market for EV sport cars because of their sheer performance and writing that nobody will buy an EV supercar because it will lack emotions is ridiculous.

SciFrog:

Where did I write customers want their 911 quieter?

Here:

SciFrog:

This is way too simplistic to characterize it as such. If that was true, why did Porsche made its regular 911 quieter and quieter over the past 5-8 years? Behaviors and public perception are changing, slowly but surely.

My ICE sport cars are loud and I even fit an aftermarket exhaust to one one them, so once again, your last comment is completely off. Again, why does everything has to be one thing or the exact opposite? Who tells you Tesla drivers want their sport car silent? Ridiculous. Just look at members of this board... Please stop tagging Tesla owners as tree huggers, just look here how many Tesla owners are not. Ecology is at the bottom of the list of why I like my Tesla.

Wanting quieter cars had nothing to do with being a tree hugger. And while I know that ecology has nothing to do with your reason to but a Tesla, it is one of the main reasons for many Tesla customers. You are not a typical Tesla customer IMO.

The point I am making is that there will be a place in the market for EV sport cars because of their sheer performance and writing that nobody will buy an EV supercar because it will lack emotions is ridiculous.

The point here in this thread was the Lambo exec saying that EV is not in the near future of their cars, hybrid is. The reason being is that an EV Performante or Aventador would rot in the dealer's lot because is is not why Lambo customers look for when they buy a Lambo, just ask the Lambo owners here. EV sportscars from other makers? Sure, but will still be a minority market share as long as ICE-hybrid engines are still around for obvious reasons.

--

SciFrog:
    Carlos from Spain:

Indeed I did write that Smiley

I see the confusion, this was very poorly written, sorry. The point I was trying to make is that there is a growing acceptance from some sport car owners to have quiet cars, even this is a trend I do not agree with it for an ICE car, and that paves the way for silent EV super cars.

Ok, I see what you mean wink personally I think it is more resignation from the customers than acceptance as recent regulations keep making it harder for makers to deliver great sounding sportscars and customers may not like it but understand it.

--

Regulations are not helping, but Porsche sells more 911 than ever, so they are doing something right, even if a few here in this group bailed out.

In any way, I think competition is good and pushes everyone to places they would not have ventured, like McLaren did. I am very curious to see what the Tesla Roadster will bring to the table in terms of compromise between a practical sporty daily driver (4 seats, convertible, use of fast lanes and autopilot) and possible hyper car performances for the price of a 911 turbo and cheaper than a Ferrari. If anything it might be too fast for my average driving skills angry

I am also convinced that in many car but stable there will be room for a pure EV very sporty car. And as such, every brand will probably make one. Same happened with SUVs, nobody wanted to do it yet almost every ultra luxury car maker is planning one.

All these super cars are beginning to look alike to the point my reaction is meh. Furthermore, the performance numbers are so far off the charts to the point the car is unusable. Enough already. 

--

Assume most people are stupid and hope they surprise you.

I think it looks absolutely gorgeous. It's got a mixture of soft lines of a McLaren and some aggressiveness of a Lambo. If only it had a petrol engine...but then again, it wouldn't look like this. EV gives designers a lot more room to play with. New design solutions we haven't seen before. 

But I have to agree that it's got no real future. Why pay this amount of money if technology moves so fast? Unless it carries some of its ideas over to a future hybrid model...like the next gen Esprit, that would be fantastic.

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Ha!

Saw this today in an antiques store.

3B2C512A-FAC0-4A95-83CA-6E3FDC597084.jpeg

I still have one, even that cassette data thingie. Also having an Amiga 500, this thing rocked my (computer) world with it's amazing graphics (by the standards of 1987). Does someone here remember Defender of the Crown? Gameplay sucked but the graphics were... angel

--

I used to own a C64, the first gen, which was clunkier.

My brother had an Amiga 500 and I remember the "war" between Atari and Amiga for better sound and graphics.

--

2018 White 911 GT3

I had an Apple IIe with a cassette then with dual floppy disks in 1983. That was edgy then, and really expensive... Learned basic and started programming then, and games...

Gauss:

I used to own a C64, the first gen, which was clunkier.

My brother had an Amiga 500 and I remember the "war" between Atari and Amiga for better sound and graphics.

Atari has been killed by Amiga... Smiley

--

SciFrog:

I had an Apple IIe with a cassette then with dual floppy disks in 1983. That was edgy then, and really expensive... Learned basic and started programming then, and games...

I started with a Sinclair ZX Spectrum...at my Swiss boarding school. Smiley

--

Commodore 64 here with diskette drive

--

Apple IIe with 5 1/4 floppy drive.

Highlight of the early PC days was the acoustic coupler modem 😂😂

I did use it but we did not buy it...

nberry:

. Furthermore, the performance numbers are so far off the charts to the point the car is unusable. Enough already. 

You could say that about the GT3 as you hit red line, 

It's all relative. 

Consider that a 917 hit 60mph in 2.6 seconds. A new Turbo S could almost keep up with one to 100 mph, barely but no one complains because it's a luxury sports coupe and not raw do or die analog sports car.

Rear overdone. 

Could be any hypercard; no identifiable Lotus design elements that I can see.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690926 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410099 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256164 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235387 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65736 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858760 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775056 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM