Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

RC:
    SciFrog:

Tesla Model X Raven makes quick work of Lamborghini Urus in quarter-mile race

https://apple.news/AiQ_2bMZNTxK-qi8uSU8B2g 

Can the "Raven" do this twice within a short period of time? Smiley Smiley Smiley

Also: The Urus looks amazing, the X looks...well...out of respect to you I won't say it. Smiley

Also, the X sounds like shit. My farts are louder. Smiley

Also, what happens beyond 60mph... A Tesla might have a lot of qualities - but it is certainly in a very different performance league than any high powered conventional car.

According to Musk, Tesla will stop selling cars at their current price once full self-driving tech is solved.

https://electrek.co/2019/07/08/tesla-will-stop-selling-cars-full-self-driving-elon-musk/

According to Musk, next year, yes he said 2020, Teslas will have full self-driving that owners can set loose as self-driving robotaxies working for them as an appreciating asset and unless you hurry and buy one now, you won't get in on it afterwards....ROTFLOL, you just can't make this stuff up 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

That 2020 claim seems frivolous. The biggest issue I see the the condition of existing roads. What happens when markings on the road are gone, worse when it rains hard? Or with snow on the ground? They obviously have unreleased software running on that new chip, but the timeline to have a non beta self driving system in place seems unreasonable. The guy might be crazy, let’s see if his software engineers are...

MKSGR:
    RC:
    SciFrog:

Can the "Raven" do this twice within a short period of time? Smiley Smiley Smiley

Also: The Urus looks amazing, the X looks...well...out of respect to you I won't say it. Smiley

Also, what happens beyond 60mph... A Tesla might have a lot of qualities - but it is certainly in a very different performance league than any high powered conventional car.

Same as below 60mph up to quarter mile speeds as indicated in the article if you cared to read it Smiley

Anyway who cares what happens after 90mph for a daily driver SUV? In 97% of the world, it is illegal to drive that fast and Germany will probably close that « loophole » sooner rather than later...

Carlos from Spain:

According to Musk, next year, yes he said 2020, Teslas will have full self-driving that owners can set loose as self-driving robotaxies working for them as an appreciating asset and unless you hurry and buy one now, you won't get in on it afterwards....ROTFLOL, you just can't make this stuff up 

Let me guess, non-refundable if delayed. 

--

2018 White 911 GT3

RC:
    SciFrog:

Yes it can.

I have seen a few Urus around and yet I haven't seen one that is not driven by some guy into shady business. That reason alone would put any reasonable person out of the Urus. The X may not be the best looking car, but with 22" wheels it looks nice and then it has the advantage of being contemporary and yet a step into the future of automobiles.

It sounds like the future, which fortunately is silent. Exhaust sounds are just something annoying for 99% of people.

The only way for Tesla to gain respect from the car community is to win, or at least compete in competitions, perhaps Lem Mans, Spa 24hrs, 12 hrs of Sebring, etc. 

Heck, just doing weathertech series would be a good start.

--

Seems like an interesting idea but seems very impractical and a bad use of Tesla stretched resources. Current Teslas are not built for repetitive laps on a circuit, they are built for the road. The way they do it now seems like an appropriate amount: go to some circuits and post lap times. Maybe when the roadster comes out they will get more aggressive.

About the Urus: let’s be real, very few people are actually going to buy one. No one here yet right? Cars you like to look at and fantasize about and the ones you have in your garage are two different things. I could have an Urus in my garage today, yet I have an X and a RRS and neither of them is going anywhere.

My neighbor has a Urus and it is kind of cool. In a different league to the white X100 Tesla which looks like a dodge caravan after plastic surgery 

996FourEss:

My neighbor has a Urus and it is kind of cool. In a different league to the white X100 Tesla which looks like a dodge caravan after plastic surgery 

What a crazy world we are living in today?!!!

A Lambo & a piece of crap Tesla are mentioned in the same sentence!Smiley

SciFrog:

Seems like an interesting idea but seems very impractical and a bad use of Tesla stretched resources. Current Teslas are not built for repetitive laps on a circuit, they are built for the road. The way they do it now seems like an appropriate amount: go to some circuits and post lap times. Maybe when the roadster comes out they will get more aggressive.

About the Urus: let’s be real, very few people are actually going to buy one. No one here yet right? Cars you like to look at and fantasize about and the ones you have in your garage are two different things. I could have an Urus in my garage today, yet I have an X and a RRS and neither of them is going anywhere.

Why not?

Tesla has the ambitions of doing a 'sports car'. They have zero idea on car handling and going racing will bee the perfect thing to learn a thing or 2 about handling.

With endurance racing it will also stress their systems to the max and beyond, Tesla ca find out what's bad about their engineering and improve those and hence make better road cars. 

The short comings is well known already, their cars does not handle, they are allergic to corners, their electric system cannot do sustained high discharge, recharging is still a problem. It can do maybe one, two great drag runs, but the wirings simply aren't designed for high current applications. Even those timed laps are one hit wonders, they can't do it repeatedly. A 911 can lap the same track pretty much the same lap time from full tank to empty tank. 

Endurace racing normally have a 50ish second pitstops with fuelling and tire change and driver change, so if Tesla can design a system where they change the battery pack in around the same time, or recharge their battery fully in that same time frame, then they will gain immense credibility as a car company. 

--

ha:
    996FourEss:

Not only that, but the Tesla has a space in the garage and the Urus does not, by choice smiley crazy hey?

After driving back to back the RRS (510hp supercharged) and the X last night on the same roads, the RRS throttle and lag felt like driving a car from a decade ago. Handling was not significantly different, the X was more direct and less body roll but tires felt the were giving up a tad earlier. Cabin space felt oppressing and the screen puny. Seats of the RRS were more suited for a sporty ride.

I have been spoiled and there is no turning back, like a few here. EV tech is a big leap and the advantages far surpass the inconveniences due to early adoption. Can’t wait to see what others can do to catch up and best Tesla. If not for a potential Bentley GTC, I may never buy buy another non EV car again.

Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

Why not?

Tesla has the ambitions of doing a 'sports car'. They have zero idea on car handling and going racing will bee the perfect thing to learn a thing or 2 about handling.

With endurance racing it will also stress their systems to the max and beyond, Tesla ca find out what's bad about their engineering and improve those and hence make better road cars. 

The short comings is well known already, their cars does not handle, they are allergic to corners, their electric system cannot do sustained high discharge, recharging is still a problem. It can do maybe one, two great drag runs, but the wirings simply aren't designed for high current applications. Even those timed laps are one hit wonders, they can't do it repeatedly. A 911 can lap the same track pretty much the same lap time from full tank to empty tank. 

Endurace racing normally have a 50ish second pitstops with fuelling and tire change and driver change, so if Tesla can design a system where they change the battery pack in around the same time, or recharge their battery fully in that same time frame, then they will gain immense credibility as a car company. 

Surely there are things to learn there. But my point is that it is not worth the cost today for Tesla. 99.9% of the population does not car if their car can do a lap on the track. For the road, current cars are already more than enough, with the Roadster staying a big question mark in handling. Money would be much better spent on autopilot, efficiency and charging tech because that’s what will sell cars.

Tesla has demonstrated a battery swap system for the S which was automated and took about 2-3 minutes. These were abandoned as battery size creeped up while charging time dropped, making these swaps irrelevant except for service.

SciFrog:
    Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

Why not?

Surely there are things to learn there. But my point is that it is not worth the cost today for Tesla. 99.9% of the population does not car if their car can do a lap on the track. For the road, current cars are already more than enough, with the Roadster staying a big question mark in handling. Money would be much better spent on autopilot, efficiency and charging tech because that’s what will sell cars.

Tesla has demonstrated a battery swap system for the S which was automated and took about 2-3 minutes. These were abandoned as battery size creeped up while charging time dropped, making these swaps irrelevant except for service.

Exactly how racing will improve those things. They need better efficiency to make a charge go longer, and quicker recharge. What better way than endurance racing to force the engineers to come up with better solutions?

Look no farther than Formula E, the last gen cars don't have the range to go a full race, but improved efficiency and battery tech got them to last one 45 mins race now. 

Autopilot was and still will be a gimmick feature. As long as human drivers are still mixed in with automated cars, there won't be a perfect system. Autopilot features are passive, unlike a human which is active. You have been driving for a long time, you have the experience to look around for tell tale signs, like seeing traffic started to back up a few miles up the road on your lane and you change lanes, or you see the guy to the right moving his hand from the wheel to th turn signal, that tells you he intended to change lane in front of you and you back off the throttle to leave room. These are 2 prime examples why autopilot will never work, cameras, sensors cannot pick these up. You will also see a car coming up behind you fast and you move over, autopilot won't. The 'brain' or lack of in the Autopilot system cant process these things. 

--

Well I use autopilot on the highway, and it works great. Yesterday I did 45 minutes without real intervention. It makes the heavy traffic trip so much more relaxed, it really works like no other system I had tried yet from Porsche, Audi, BMW or Land Rover. It is not quite ready for outside the highway, technically my X does not even have the hardware since it needs that new chip, and the software has not been released yet of course.

Once released (years from now?) the system will be better than humans at some things, and worse at others. To simplify, it will be better at monitoring 100% the time without distractions since it is a machine, but it will be worse at anticipating some things. But here is the thing, it does not need to be better at everything, it only needs to be statistically better overall to be massively accepted and even mandated.

Tesla 'refresh' of Model S and X isn’t coming, says Elon Musk

https://apple.news/AFEY4Fb5ITeu8ZPHj6q0SsQ

Probably doesn’t need one anyway... Small incremental changes as they are ready makes much more sense.

Whoopsy:

Autopilot was and still will be a gimmick feature. As long as human drivers are still mixed in with automated cars, there won't be a perfect system. Autopilot features are passive, unlike a human which is active. You have been driving for a long time, you have the experience to look around for tell tale signs, like seeing traffic started to back up a few miles up the road on your lane and you change lanes, or you see the guy to the right moving his hand from the wheel to th turn signal, that tells you he intended to change lane in front of you and you back off the throttle to leave room. These are 2 prime examples why autopilot will never work, cameras, sensors cannot pick these up. You will also see a car coming up behind you fast and you move over, autopilot won't. The 'brain' or lack of in the Autopilot system cant process these things. 

The whole point with Neural Networks is just that they in due course will master every tiny little case that can happen out there. And with 500k cars (and growing) driving around right now training the NN they will eventually get there. Even the edge cases that you mention will be managed. If you eyes can see those things and you take a certain decision, the computer will be trained to act the same.

It will take many years to get there and Elons timeline is probably far off like always. But eventually it will happen and I would certainly not underestimate the power of Neural Nets.

Also, the Autopilot is far from being a gimmic. It's a really nice assistant system that get's better every month. It's actually quite impressive to see how far they have come and how much progress they have been made since i started out driving with Autopilot on my work commute. Now it manage most of my driving without any issues, that was not the case just a few months ago. When you understand how Autopilot works and why it behaves in certain ways, it is really impressive how it drives. Actually quite much as a human. A human that is learning and getting better and better over time.

It's important to understand that what Tesla customers have in their cars is not representative for what the system in development mode can achieve.

Motor Trend: Ultimate Car of the Year Finalist for this decade: 2013 Tesla Model S 

https://apple.news/Aa2fAmctWSg6dhQJghxfrJQ

lukestern:
    Whoopsy:

The whole point with Neural Networks is just that they in due course will master every tiny little case that can happen out there. And with 500k cars (and growing) driving around right now training the NN they will eventually get there. Even the edge cases that you mention will be managed. If you eyes can see those things and you take a certain decision, the computer will be trained to act the same.

It will take many years to get there and Elons timeline is probably far off like always. But eventually it will happen and I would certainly not underestimate the power of Neural Nets.

Also, the Autopilot is far from being a gimmic. It's a really nice assistant system that get's better every month. It's actually quite impressive to see how far they have come and how much progress they have been made since i started out driving with Autopilot on my work commute. Now it manage most of my driving without any issues, that was not the case just a few months ago. When you understand how Autopilot works and why it behaves in certain ways, it is really impressive how it drives. Actually quite much as a human. A human that is learning and getting better and better over time.

It's important to understand that what Tesla customers have in their cars is not representative for what the system in development mode can achieve.

Tesla's cameras don't have the resolution to see movements inside other cars. Their system is actually better than LIDAR as those movements will be invisible to LIDAR which can only see outlines. Cameras could theoretically compare back to back images to check for movement.

Human brains process informations very differently the silicon brains, silicon can process simply tasks very quickly but it's useless again human brains in predicting the 'unpredictable' so to speak. Human learn from experiences, neural network wanted to work the same way but they are far far far from even at 1/100 of what a human brain can do.

Yes AI can beat chess masters, but there is only a finite umber of moves a piece can do, ad there are rules for chess, so it can be brute forced. But driving on the road, while there are suppose to be rules, human don't always obey and other humans also expect the others to to obey the rules, and that fact confuses any silicon brains, they really have no way to process and use the information they got from sensors. 

Autopilot is a fancy name for assisted active cruise control, nothing more. Like I said, most people consider it gimmicky and not a must have feature for automobiles.

Tesla is decades away from real autopilot. 

I think currently, the 'autopilot-ed' Tesla should be confined to perhaps bus lanes or something, a giant target for it to follow and it stays within one single lane and no need to worry about other cars merging in and out. It should also require the driver to hold the steering wheel at all times, and eyes looking straight ahead to look for danger.

--

ha:
    996FourEss:

Smiley Smiley

Also, the word "shady" was used... Smiley

I've met over two dozen Lamborghini owners so far and none of them was in a shady business: Pharmacists Smiley, doctors, lawyers, real estate moguls, architects, owner of a marketing firm... Really shady people. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Lane changing works quite well, much better than anticipated. What does not quite work yet is lane merging. You are wrong in stating the current system is a single lane system, it is already better than that and safer than a human driving ion the highway. I drive a lot and everyday  I see between 1 and 3 accidents. Why? Phones. I would say 1/4 of the people I see driving are using a phone at the same time one way or the other. The reason why we need “autopilot” on highways TODAY is because our society has already moved to the next step where people do not want to drive and want to be on their phone instead.

Also please consider the following: even though a human can anticipate some events, collectively drives are going to change their driving behavior when more cases driving themselves will be on the road. Two reasons:

1) right now people cut you off because they expect the driver behind to be scared and will slow down to create a gap even if it does not exists (this happens to me about 5 times every one way trip). Once they realize more and more computers will drive and will not be scared by that tactic, they will stop

2) insurance. As more and more computers drive, when an accident will happen between a “computer” and a human, they responsibility will 99% fall on the human for driving in a manner that was erratic and as such was not anticipated by the software, even if a human might have anticipated it. Authorities will force people to drive more responsibly and insurance rates will skyrocket for people not respecting computers driving on the road. Money will change mentalities VERY quickly

Another way to put this is authorities will kill joyride and public roads, compounded by the amount of cameras that are going to be watching you, on cars and on the sides (just already look at how many bad drivers have been flagged by Tesla on board cameras). Sadly for the group of people here, drive fun will move to tracks and I also expect more race tracks to pop up everywhere to satisfy that need, that’s if communities let them build them. Sport cars like the ones people own here will become trophy items fueled by nostalgia while everyone jumps into more track focused cars.

Meanwhile while analysts are clamoring demand is dead for Tesla, they are raising production:

Tesla is preparing a mysterious production capacity increase

https://apple.news/AJARJnTCYSjG5gmy3bRifyg

Go figure...

RC:

Also, the word "shady" was used... Smiley

I've met over two dozen Lamborghini owners so far and none of them was in a shady business: Pharmacists Smiley, doctors, lawyers, real estate moguls, architects, owner of a marketing firm... Really shady people. Smiley

Actually if I was in the  "shady" business I would choose to drive a very quite car, say a Tesla, for the unwanted attentionSmiley

SciFrog:

Lane changing works quite well, much better than anticipated. What does not quite work yet is lane merging. You are wrong in stating the current system is a single lane system, it is already better than that and safer than a human driving ion the highway. I drive a lot and everyday  I see between 1 and 3 accidents. Why? Phones. I would say 1/4 of the people I see driving are using a phone at the same time one way or the other. The reason why we need “autopilot” on highways TODAY is because our society has already moved to the next step where people do not want to drive and want to be on their phone instead.

Also please consider the following: even though a human can anticipate some events, collectively drives are going to change their driving behavior when more cases driving themselves will be on the road. Two reasons:

1) right now people cut you off because they expect the driver behind to be scared and will slow down to create a gap even if it does not exists (this happens to me about 5 times every one way trip). Once they realize more and more computers will drive and will not be scared by that tactic, they will stop

2) insurance. As more and more computers drive, when an accident will happen between a “computer” and a human, they responsibility will 99% fall on the human for driving in a manner that was erratic and as such was not anticipated by the software, even if a human might have anticipated it. Authorities will force people to drive more responsibly and insurance rates will skyrocket for people not respecting computers driving on the road. Money will change mentalities VERY quickly

Another way to put this is authorities will kill joyride and public roads, compounded by the amount of cameras that are going to be watching you, on cars and on the sides (just already look at how many bad drivers have been flagged by Tesla on board cameras). Sadly for the group of people here, drive fun will move to tracks and I also expect more race tracks to pop up everywhere to satisfy that need, that’s if communities let them build them. Sport cars like the ones people own here will become trophy items fueled by nostalgia while everyone jumps into more track focused cars.

#1, #2. The moment the first litigation goes to court about an accident happened because the autopilot did not anticipate human behaviour, Tesla will be on the hook for millions. Negligent on their part to not program the system to to anticipate such a thing. And the insurance companies will go after Tesla for causing the accidents by not avoiding another car. Simple as that.

And you got the world backwards. We develop machines to work WITH humans, not human adapting to machines. Prime example is the iOS vs Android, Apple made their phone system interface operate with human instincts. Android however forced people with work around the system. 

--

If autopilot is working as intended, pretty sure Elon would't have made wholesale changes to the whole autopilot team..............

--

Bob Lutz: Improved Tesla Panel Gaps Are Now “World Class” 

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/16/bob-lutz-improved-tesla-panel-gaps-are-now-world-class/ 

SciFrog:

Bob Lutz: Improved Tesla Panel Gaps Are Now “World Class” 

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/16/bob-lutz-improved-tesla-panel-gaps-are-now-world-class/ 

Thought the Tesla Cult declared Lutz a senile old dinosaur before.  Can’t have it both ways.   

I have no idea what the Tesla cult people think... But he is talking about a specific item of contention. And for the record my panels gaps are not great... I wrote it before. Not that I care since I am not getting that fixed any time soon.

Dinosaurs applies to the industry as a whole, some are finally slowly moving though smiley

Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

#1, #2. The moment the first litigation goes to court about an accident happened because the autopilot did not anticipate human behaviour, Tesla will be on the hook for millions. Negligent on their part to not program the system to to anticipate such a thing. And the insurance companies will go after Tesla for causing the accidents by not avoiding another car. Simple as that.

And you got the world backwards. We develop machines to work WITH humans, not human adapting to machines. Prime example is the iOS vs Android, Apple made their phone system interface operate with human instincts. Android however forced people with work around the system. 

If what you said were true, there would be no automated system in action today where human lives are at risk. Yet there are quite a few...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689621 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409265 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255766 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235004 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65527 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858022 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774074 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM