Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

720s Spider Choice

I am thinking hard about a switch from my 12C Spider to a 720s Spider to get not the last but one of the last non-Hybrid ICE sport cars. It should last for the next decade. Im a turbo guy and in love with the 720s since i first drove it nearly two years ago.

The 12C feels now after 5 years and 40k km little bit like a 0.9 Version of a software as it provides lot of fun but feels sometimes a bit clumsy and not perfectly honed. It never let me down or anything like that, but my gut feeling says I should update. I saw the 720s Spider last Dezember in Woking and I was happy with the outcome. I am going to drive the Spider on 12.07. in Munich just to get sure it’s the right decision. Delivery would be next March/April but i need to pull the trigger till end of july.

Now its all about the color choice between:

Belize Blue

47968262743_a36077071e_z.jpg

Ludus Blue 

mclaren-drops-top-in-geneva-720s-spider-looks-even-better-in-the-flesh_2.png

Volcano Yellow

720PERF-VOLCANO-YELLOW-8-of-25.png

Memphis Red

1562251746143720PERF-MEMPHIS-RED-2-of-26.png

Fistral Blue

38929250214_7fb54561e3_o.png

38929240544_7e3d6bcfcd_o.png

I and my wife are leaning to Fistral Blue outside with orange brake calipers and inside all Alcantara with Fistral Blue stitching and orange seat belts. No carbon bits as it will raise the price too much.

Here my Spec so far:
    4WB03 Wheel Finish - Stealth
    4WB05 Special Colour Brake Calipers - orange
    4WB07 Tyres - Pirelli P ZEROTM CORSA
    2EX13 Sports Exhaust
    1ASTE Stealth Pack
    2EXT14 Retractable Hard Top Roof-Glazed Electr.
    3IN05 Seatbelt - Orange
    3IN03 Steering Wheel - Carbon Black Alcantara
    6SS02 Rear View Camera (incl. Parking Sensors)
    6SS05 Vehicle Lift
    5EN02 Homelink System
    7PR01 Branded Floor Mat Set
    7PR03 Car Cover
    TRANS Handover und Transport
    MSO14 MSO Bespoke Contrast Stitch - Fistral Blue
    8MS01 MSO Heritage Paint - Fistral Blue

looking forward to some comments about spec and color choice Smiley

Re: 720s Spider Choice

Congrats, I think that Volcano Yellow would be my choice for this car. The Firstral Blue looks very nice (I've also seen it live...I think it was this color) but I don't know, I think a car like the 720S needs an even flashier color. Some colors make the car look elegant and this is the last thing I would want from this car. I also kind of like red but red is always associated with the Ferrari in he sports car world, not sure.

I assume this is your weekend toy, so go nuts on it regarding the color. I chose white for my Performante and regretted it, even if I am pretty happy with my choice now (it looks better live in white than expected but I was lucky because the car has the forged carbon parts and the glossy black stuff, so they go well with the white color).

I actually think that if you'd go crazy on the carbon exterior stuff, white would look good as well.

Have you actually thought about getting a slightly used one? The Munich dealer had some pretty good offers last time I was there. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Agree with RC regarding the consideration of a used one.. Macs are among the most depreciated supercars today in the market.

Unlike RC I think the 720 is better in more sober colours since the car looks so outrageous to start with, I think the loud colours are just too much "look at me", my Blade Silver looks lower key but without exception people comment (and I mean all sorts of people) "what a lovely colour" it looks so classy.  

Having said all that the Fistral is a fantastic colour and if I was to go loud that would be it indecision

I can't see which interior you are having is it all black Alcantara with the FB stitching ?

I would (and did) not tick the sports exhaust firstly because it doesn't sound great as the Euro cars have valves which only open at certain revs/throttle which in reality is not often, secondly I'd save the £5K and get an aftermarket one I have the Quicksilver unit which is cat back and Mclaren/my dealer are happy with it warranty wise, it sounds really nice at all revs and was a lot cheaper and of course its a bit less weight and keeps under hood temps lower.

Lastly tyres, if you are tracking it then of course Corsa but if not they are not great for the road, having said that the Pirelli P Zero option is not the best, I put Michelin 4S on mine and the grip and traction are 35+% better.

Fantastic to hear you have kept your 12C for 5 years, Mclarens really do seem like special cars they feel unburstable and once niggles sorted very reliable and just so easy to use wink

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

TB993tt:

Unlike RC I think the 720 is better in more sober colours since the car looks so outrageous to start with, I think the loud colours are just too much "look at me", my Blade Silver looks lower key but without exception people comment (and I mean all sorts of people) "what a lovely colour" it looks so classy.  

Having said all that the Fistral is a fantastic colour and if I was to go loud that would be it indecision

I can't see which interior you are having is it all black Alcantara with the FB stitching ?

I would (and did) not tick the sports exhaust firstly because it doesn't sound great as the Euro cars have valves which only open at certain revs/throttle which in reality is not often, secondly I'd save the £5K and get an aftermarket one I have the Quicksilver unit which is cat back and Mclaren/my dealer are happy with it warranty wise, it sounds really nice at all revs and was a lot cheaper and of course its a bit less weight and keeps under hood temps lower.

Lastly tyres, if you are tracking it then of course Corsa but if not they are not great for the road, having said that the Pirelli P Zero option is not the best, I put Michelin 4S on mine and the grip and traction are 35+% better.

Fantastic to hear you have kept your 12C for 5 years, Mclarens really do seem like special cars they feel unburstable and once niggles sorted very reliable and just so easy to use wink

I would be careful with switching tires on the 720S, there is a reason why McLaren, Lamborghini and others are using the PZero Corsa for their supercars. For example: The previous Michelin 4S wasn't suitable for the Audi R8 because the sidewall of the rear tires wasn't stiff or soft enough, I don't remember. Huge problem at the limit since the car was prone to very spontaneous and unexpected extreme oversteer. These supercars are not cars you should play around with tire setups, the tires were meticulously developed for these particular cars.

Aftermarket sport exhaust systems can and will be a serious issue in the EU sooner or later, even if they have an EU technical approval. If it is not an option from the manufacturer, people can sooner or later get in big trouble. It is basically like this: If the exhaust is aftermarket, police and technical services (TÜV in Germany for example) can demand a removal!!! Even if it has an EU technical approval. If the exhaust is an OEM exhaust, there isn't much they can do about it. Only possibility would be to ask the manufacturer to make these exhausts quieter or whatever and this is not very likely to happen with small manufacturers like McLaren or others.

Under the current circumstances I would strictly advise against any aftermarket exhaust for any car in the EU because it can and will create a very problematic situation for the owner if the police stops him and considers the exhaust to be too loud. Only exception is maybe the street legal version of the Akrapovic exhaust for the RS6 Performance or the new Urus, their sport exhausts have been developed together with the car manufacturer and have an OEM approval (as far as I know). 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Agree with TB993tt that sober on this car looks better, of the ones you've listed the Belize Blue is amazing. Like the azzurro blue from Ferrari to a degree. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:

Agree with TB993tt that sober on this car looks better, of the ones you've listed the Belize Blue is amazing. Like the azzurro blue from Ferrari to a degree. 

Way too elegant in my opinion. This is a supercar, it needs a supercar color. Smiley

--

Orange and yellow are fantastic on the 720...

RC:
    Mithras:

Way too elegant in my opinion. This is a supercar, it needs a supercar color. Smiley

Lets say. White. Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Yes, a bolder color is for me the way to go. Way too many blacks, greys... on all types of cars around but i understand that more elegant colors work also on this car but i have supernova silver right now and i need a change.

Problem with a used one: Right now, there are only coupes available and next year it depends if there is a spider with the right spec and color available. Many of the (launch) cars are high spec cars with way higher prices so used ones are also more expensive at least slightly used ones.

Tyre choice: I’m not going to track the car a lot. Maybe 1-2 easy track days but I love sticky tires. In my 12C I went through Pirelli P Zero (Original like N0 Compound), MPSC2, Pirelli Trofeo R, MPSC2 and the best in wear and grip ratio was the MPSC2. I will start with the Corsa maybe try the Trofeo R and switch when the size is available to MPSC2 but I wont fit tyres like P Zero or MPS4S.

Here the plain alcantara interior:

2958970245-18697973-20-1024x683.jpg

2958970244-18697973-19-1024x683.jpg

Mine would be with orange seat belts and fistral blue contrast stitching.

Fristal Blue is a pretty color and the reason why you should not get. It’s a feminine color which doesn’t lend itself to the character of the car. I agree that blacks and greys are passé. The yellow is reserved for Ferrari. The other two blues look good and would work well.

The interior of all  grey alcantara is an abomination. This car cost several hundred thousand dollars. The interior should reflect that and not look like a Chevy interior off a dealers lot. Orange stitching cannot save it.

--

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Personally like the metallic element in Belize Blue. That is a lot of alcantara though mate...

i love alcantara and my 12C is also all alcantara with white contrast stitching. I know that in the pictures it looks bland but when you see it live it works very well - but i understand that this style is not for everyone.

That Fristal is amazing kiss

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

I vote for the blues. Fistral or Belize kiss They match very well with the shape and the black elements.

RC has proven that a supercar doesn't have to be in a striking colour to look fantastic.

The full alcantara interior looks somehow OTT. If combined with some carbon perhaps......?

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

I like the Belize blue ...... but would find an even lighter tone . 

This car is enough  agressive / supercar looking to be able to handle a softer color then red or yellow , which I find too much on this car . 

A kinf of metallic   green ( not too light )  would also work well . There is a P1 at a close by dealer and it looks fantastic . Maybe I can find the pic . It looks even much better in real . 

I love the all interior alcantara kiss

Capture d'écran 2019-07-05 10.00.51.jpeg

Capture d'écran 2019-07-05 10.01.13.jpeg

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

hunterone:

Here the plain alcantara interior:

2958970245-18697973-20-1024x683.jpg

2958970244-18697973-19-1024x683.jpg

Mine would be with orange seat belts and fistral blue contrast stitching.

Some of the by design interiors don't look great as the panel on the dash on the passenger side can come in contrasting  (to the Alcantara) leather which I think looks crap, this all Alcantara with the FB stitching is really nice, will look superb !

One extra which I had at usual silly expense was carbon surrounds to the air vents and I have to say I am so pleased I spent the £3 odd K as they look magnificent I I enjoy them every time I get in the car (you obviously have to have the primary and secondary interior carbon which I presume you will have) I can seriously recommend having them you won't regret it and it makes the car that much more special and unique come resale..

--

2018 McLaren 720S 

Alcantara interior should be standard on any sports car.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

RC:

I would be careful with switching tires on the 720S, there is a reason why McLaren, Lamborghini and others are using the PZero Corsa for their supercars. For example: The previous Michelin 4S wasn't suitable for the Audi R8 because the sidewall of the rear tires wasn't stiff or soft enough, I don't remember. Huge problem at the limit since the car was prone to very spontaneous and unexpected extreme oversteer. These supercars are not cars you should play around with tire setups, the tires were meticulously developed for these particular cars.

I understand what you are saying but the 4S are so much better it is a joke and in the wet it feels like you have 50% more traction. The 4S is a generation ahead of Pirelli, the head UK technical guy lives on my road and we met up once I am convinced the Cups and 4S are the best rubber out there, I even have 4S on my bus Smiley

Mclaren have a deal with Pirelli just like Porsche and Goodyear, I accept that Mclaren have tested the tyres properly but my real life experience tells me 4S are a massive leap forward to the P Zeros (non Corsa) which Mclaren specify.(I had them on my 570 and my pal has them on his 675 and many people in the UK Mclaren club use them)

Also you remember the farce of the then new Michelin Pilot Supersport (the precursor to the 4S) where many people (me included) were running them on our 911s, they were never N rated and the usual suspects (including you RC SmileySmiley) were saying you shouldn't use non N rated tyres ? Then low and behold they were seen on Porsche experience day cars and sure enough they found their way onto some Porsche models with an N.... its about the $$$$$ to a large extent IMO and Goodyear and Pirelli have paid to play Smiley

--

2018 McLaren 720S 

@Gnil: wow that Green looks stunning angel

TB993tt:
    Also you remember the farce of the then new Michelin Pilot Supersport (the precursor to the 4S) where many people (me included) were running them on our 911s, they were never N rated and the usual suspects (including you RC SmileySmiley) were saying you shouldn't use non N rated tyres ? Then low and behold they were seen on Porsche experience day cars and sure enough they found their way onto some Porsche models with an N.... its about the $$$$$ to a large extent IMO and Goodyear and Pirelli have paid to play Smiley

+1  I am pretty convinced we get fooled  quite a lot more then we think about the tyre business on cars . Not every model can be developed with it s own specification . Most often if is just about deals between manufactures . 

Also it depends what we are talking about . Doing max speed on the highway, or max time on the Ring is not the same as using the car on public roads . How much tire do you need to do your normal public road driving .....

I would definitely fit 4S on a car not used on a track .  Much better then any semi slick . 

--

hunterone:

@Gnil: wow that Green looks stunning angel

It is  ! And even better in real . 

Here is a link for more photos ... 

https://www.autoscout24.ch/fr/d/mclaren-coupe-occasion?vehid=6628502&backurl=%2Fvoitures%2Fmclaren%3Fmake%3D474%26typename%3...

--

The Green is made for this car. Seriously consider it.kiss

--

Assume most people are stupid and hope they surprise you.

Not a fan of green in most cars but in this case it fits the car exceptionally well!

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

RC:
    Aftermarket sport exhaust systems can and will be a serious issue in the EU sooner or later, even if they have an EU technical approval. If it is not an option from the manufacturer, people can sooner or later get in big trouble. It is basically like this: If the exhaust is aftermarket, police and technical services (TÜV in Germany for example) can demand a removal!!! Even if it has an EU technical approval. If the exhaust is an OEM exhaust, there isn't much they can do about it. Only possibility would be to ask the manufacturer to make these exhausts quieter or whatever and this is not very likely to happen with small manufacturers like McLaren or others.

Under the current circumstances I would strictly advise against any aftermarket exhaust for any car in the EU because it can and will create a very problematic situation for the owner if the police stops him and considers the exhaust to be too loud. Only exception is maybe the street legal version of the Akrapovic exhaust for the RS6 Performance or the new Urus, their sport exhausts have been developed together with the car manufacturer and have an OEM approval (as far as I know). 

This is the kind of German led EU control which I am hoping we in the UK will escape, it's a gradual grab of our freedoms for dubious reasons apart from undermining the mass of small manufacturers like Quicksilver.

--

2018 McLaren 720S 

Do you really think the car manufactures are going to make special UK editions? Keep on dreaming. If the UK wants to sell to Europe they have to apply to the European lwas. In this case do you think the UK producers are going to make UK versions?

JR-550:

Do you really think the car manufactures are going to make special UK editions? Keep on dreaming. If the UK wants to sell to Europe they have to apply to the European lwas. In this case do you think the UK producers are going to make UK versions?

This is not what I am not talking about I am meaning the control of aftermarket stuff. I accept that Germany has its TUV and I can see that it is particularly important in Germany as it is legal to drive at very high speeds so it is imperative that the cars are monitored and using only tested and "state" approved (ie to high, controlled standards) products.

In contrast in the US when I watch Gas Monkey churning out some hot rods which frankly look like death traps but seem to be allowed on the roads they must have much looser rules. In the UK we are probably in the middle in that one can fit most aftermarket stuff and the onus is on the individual to ensure the car is safe  and legal and it is the owner who takes the consequences if it is not and is involved in an incident/accident. I prefer this personal responsibility model and dislike state telling individuals what do.

Companies like Quicksilver exhausts will not be able to sell their non EU approved exhausts to EU controlled countries but they will still do fine as many other parts of the world will buy their gear.

BTW lots of Euro car manufacturers make UK editions already and have done forever !

--

2018 McLaren 720S 

JR-550:

. In this case do you think the UK producers are going to make UK versions?

Do you mean is Mclaren going to make a UK only exhaust so we don't have to have the EU version ? If this is what you mean then the answer is if the UK is outside the EU then Mclaren could fit the US version which has no valves in bothe the standard and sport version and they sound a lot better indecision

It does raise the question of whether EU countries will still allow access to UK tourists driving their noise polluting non EU compliant cars, I suspect it will stay as is similar to when I driven through Germany on many occasions in my definitely not TUV/EU authorised 997GT2 wink 

--

2018 McLaren 720S 

reginos:

I vote for the blues. Fistral or Belize kiss They match very well with the shape and the black elements.

RC has proven that a supercar doesn't have to be in a striking colour to look fantastic.

I was lucky... Smiley

The full alcantara interior looks somehow OTT. If combined with some carbon perhaps......?

Agreed. Carbon...definitely some colored stitching. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690610 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409856 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256076 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235303 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4721 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858530 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774797 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM