Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

Tesla is delivering 1,000 cars a day en route to record quarter

https://apple.news/AEAgHr4N8SdOAzSIcFUsJdA

If true (big if), just watch most “analyst” paper and sensational doomsday articles written about Tesla in the last 3 months being worth nothing more than toilet paper.

Bring out the popcorn wink

Meanwhile, semi Truck got pushed back to late 2020.

Interesting take on Musk.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-tesla-ceo-elon-musk-is-like-this-an-explainer-2019-6

--

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

I don't completely buy in to the Elon Musk exceptionalism thesis. He's clearly intelligent, and has successfully disrupted the space vehicle business. There. the previous model of aggregating products from multiple vendors was ripe for margin reduction by internalizing some of the production process.

Car manufacturing is a very different animal, with competitors that have significant resources, deep expertise, established supplier and dealer networks and tighter margins. Musk has been very successful here too, but a lot of his recent behavior is counterproductive and, from an outsider's perspective, looks a little bit manic...

Tesla destroys German critic's electric car prejudice after Model 3 test drive

https://apple.news/AL0HmwIGQQDq3Vp86G1P1lA

Welt.de

no idea who this guy is but the German manufacturers will not be happy about this review...

“This Tesla destroys all my prejudices against the electric car”
    “The future is offered here (at Tesla), which the Germans have not been able to do so far”
    “The car is much better than all models of electric competition. The technical lead is easily four to five years. Range and driving pleasure are unmatched”

After driving the Mini and RRS extensively this week to commute, I just cannot wait to jump back in the X. It makes the trips much less stressful and relaxing, I really regret not taking the plunge a couple of years ago. Autopilot is a Godsend and keeps getting better every other month. I am really considering the Tesla roadster because it would be the first real sport car I could use to commute, and it has two rear seats. It has the potential to become the new jack of all trades of sport cars the way the 911 used to be for us.

Well, writes about Lidl, burgers, and electric cars:

https://www.welt.de/autor/nando-sommerfeldt/

And not to mention the other guy...Musk's fanatic willing to go to Mars angry

Teslarati again...

https://www.teslarati.com/author/simon-alvarez/

Teslarati are biased, but do not hesitate to be critical, unlike things coming from ZeroHedge for example who explicitly say they are short Tesla shares...

lukestern:

Chris Harris consider a Model 3
    https://twitter.com/harrismonkey/status/1143067467994079237

and the Model 3 on the latest episode of Top Gear

In the UK, Top Gear with Chris Harris is available on BBC iPlayer...

1561410329913image.jpeg

Link:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00068rr

Just heard a recent number during a report about the daily usage of an EV in Germany (in this case, the i3): 91000 EVs are currently registered in Germany vs. 43800000 combustion engine cars. Any more questions?  

Also funny in this report (done in Hamburg): A few charging stations didn't work at all, one was installed but not connected to the power grid  and on basically none of the charging stations was the price for charging available, so the user actually would know how much money the charging would cost. Also, some stations accepted PayPal only ("funny" if the smartphone doesn't have an internet connection next to that charging station, also PayPal is not very common with older people in Germany), others credit cards (in Germany, debit cards are much more common) only. 

Bottom line is: The infrastructure is a catastrophe. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

And that’s why Tesla is ahead of the pack on that too... I have 3 superchargers on my commute route right next to the highway. Meanwhile there are 5 Porsche dealers, and all of them would require decent extra time to get to them from the highway. I plan to never use one, but just in case... Meanwhile my home charger is getting installed soon in the summer house. I am in EV heaven. Thinking of driving any other car to commute is stressing me out even before getting on the road.

SciFrog:

And that’s why Tesla is ahead of the pack on that too... I have 3 superchargers on my commute route right next to the highway. Meanwhile there are 5 Porsche dealers, and all of them would require decent extra time to get to them from the highway. I plan to never use one, but just in case... Meanwhile my home charger is getting installed soon in the summer house. I am in EV heaven. Thinking of driving any other car to commute is stressing me out even before getting on the road.

My Italian hotel had two working Tesla chargers but both were occupied all the time and a Tesla owner from Norway was quite upset because he didn't get the chance to charge his car. There were six(!) Teslas in our hotel garage...mostly from Norway and Germany. Funny: The kids of one of the owners were all over my Performante when I exited the garage, they even sat in it. Smiley Also "funny": How everyone waited for me to damage my car when exiting/entering the garage because of a very steep downhill/uphill situation. Without lift, I would have been lost in Italy, not only at the hotel but also around some (artificial) road bumps in the south of Lake Garda. Almost impossible to get over them without a lift. Crappy road design.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Soon enough hotels without sufficient chargers will lose customers, and EV owners tend to be more affluent for the time being... Capitalism will balance things out.

On another note, two US state electric utilities are starting a program to pay Tesla powerwall owners up to $1,000 a year to let them tap into their storage during peak hours. I wrote this before here, the grid will be very different in a decade than today. More solar, more storage (powerwall or cars) with smart utility wide software to manage it.

SciFrog:

Soon enough hotels without sufficient chargers will lose customers, and EV owners tend to be more affluent for the time being... Capitalism will balance things out.

On another note, two US state electric utilities are starting a program to pay Tesla powerwall owners up to $1,000 a year to let them tap into their storage during peak hours. I wrote this before here, the grid will be very different in a decade than today. More solar, more storage (powerwall or cars) with smart utility wide software to manage it.

You could also argue that people who have no other car than an EV car to drive from Norway to Italy are less affluent than one would hope for as a hotel...

MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

You could also argue that people who have no other car than an EV car to drive from Norway to Italy are less affluent than one would hope for as a hotel...

I drove in my car to Sardinia, so... Smiley I know wealthy people who drive by car to Marbella every year, not sure this says much. Depends how much they like/enjoy driving, maybe they visit other places as well during their trip, maybe they are scared of flying... 

--

Now how may EV chargers needed to be installed in a garage to bee sufficient? 10?15?30? Every stall?

And how much electricity is needed to support say 10 of them? Or the whole garage? 

And how big is the 'pipe' feeding the electricity to the hotel? Surely it's not big enough. 

And how much electricity is fed into the town in the first place? Not enough again.

Now in most of Europe, the vacation towns are all little villages that are like 100 years old if not older, how are they going to install new bigger transformers to support the much bigger electricity draw?

And the where is the electricity going to come from? Are the power plants big enough to support the new demand?

And what fuel source is going to power the new bigger power plants?

Electricity is not free. It has to be generated from something. 

Solar seems to be the 'free' option, but Europe is not a flat desert like Nevada where one can have hectares full of solar panels. 

Wind generators is a alternative, but socially speaking, most Europeans don't like having a giant windmill near them.

Hydro power is another clean option, but most of the rivers in Europe are occupied with traffic and ca't be dammed for producing power. 

Nuclear is a clean and safe option, but that too is being shunted politically.

What's left? Diesel, natural gas, coal. Which in turn are considered 'dirty' fossil fuel options that free people don't like.

Now we back to square 1.

The only alternative I see is having a parkade attendant attend to the charging stations, each car can only be allocation so much time charging, and either the offending car is towed or ticketed if they overstay. Most owners don't have the decency to move their car when their car is fully charged. 

--

Tesla has already figured out the last part: fines for overstaying at the charger...

Electric cars don’t need more than an electric dryer power. Do you know how big the feed is for a medium size hotel? It’s big. Not saying everything will happens in a few years, it will take a couple of decades just for the fleet to switch. Europe will take longer.

Smart grid is coming, which will allow for systems to use electric produced in uneven patterns. Just imagine every single plugged in electric car as part of the grid. Take the power where you have it to send where you need it and average it over the entire grid plus car/wall storages...

SciFrog:

Tesla has already figured out the last part: fines for overstaying at the charger...

If you parked your Model X at a hotel charger and just eat the fine for parking overnight, it still does't help me freeing up the spot to charge my car. Smiley

Electric cars don’t need more than an electric dryer power. Do you know how big the feed is for a medium size hotel? It’s big. Not saying everything will happens in a few years, it will take a couple of decades just for the fleet to switch. Europe will take longer.

Do you know even medium sized hotels' transformers are not sized for supporting a fleet of EV being charged? An average Level 2 charger takes perhaps 30-40A, counting in current spikes, an installation for a 2 charger station will be budgeted for 100A. Not a very fast charger for Tesla, as it will still takes ~8hrs to charge a Tesla Model S/X 90. This part will be very feasible for the planned spare capacity for a medium sized hotel. But adding more of those 100A demand will soon quickly eat up all the spare capacity of the local transformer. And if someone wants faster chargers that takes 100A each? Those spare capacity disappeared EXTREMELY quickly.

On any given decent sized vacation spots, there will be at least 3-4 medium sized hotels, if every hotel start adding more chargers, the current demand of that town goes way way up. 

Smart grid is coming, which will allow for systems to use electric produced in uneven patterns. Just imagine every single plugged in electric car as part of the grid. Take the power where you have it to send where you need it and average it over the entire grid plus car/wall storages...

Flying car is coming too. If you want to believe that.

There is only one rule for electricity, there can only be so much current flowing to one place, which is limited by the size of the wire carrying the current for a give voltage.

--

In a hotel, the parking attendant will take care of it...

They will upgrade the grid, use local generation like solar panels and tap in local electrical storage. Yes it I will take time but it is coming. It has already started.

And flying cars are coming. What is not is the regulation on how to use them.

RC:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

I drove in my car to Sardinia, so... Smiley I know wealthy people who drive by car to Marbella every year, not sure this says much. Depends how much they like/enjoy driving, maybe they visit other places as well during their trip, maybe they are scared of flying... 

But with a Tesla? A long distance trip of that kind Smiley Very strange...

100A in 230V AC single phase is not the same power requirements as 100A for 400V. 

The vicinity transformer will be in medium voltage in 6.6kv, 11kv or even 33kv...so the amperage you are talking above is  peanuts. Obviously grid is designed with certain contingency and future expansion.  

In France, at least the power supply is ok. The only concern is other countries around which produce electricity from very primitive industry. 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Plenty of people do long trips with Teslas. You just don’t get, you will eventually. And again, Europe will be 5 to 10 years behind the US anyway. Actually I am at the point that if I had to do a medium trip (long trip I would fly...), I would actually take the X and not the RRS. It is just that much more convenient. The whole package makes it more than worth the small amount of time you might loose. You will get to your destination much more relaxed and less stressed, and so will your wife and your family. It is a no brainer. Battery prediction is so good range anxiety is not an issue unless you cut it real close. I did not want to believe it, but now I do completely. Planning your trip on the car computer is a breeze. It tells you where the super chargers are, and if they are free!

People just have to rethink a bit and create a couple of new neural pathways to understand how it works.

SciFrog:

Plenty of people do long trips with Teslas. You just don’t get, you will eventually.

I'm sorry but this is the typical condescending comment of someone who has become so emotionally invested and lost so much objectivity that he is no longer able to place himself in other peoples shoes and be able to grasp others confronting arguments.

Personally, I hope it is a long time before "I get it", I enjoy "driving" to much for the day that I care about more about the infotainment system or how the car drives itself for me like a Sunday driver along the highway to come soon. For others it just won't be practical like Nick said. EV won't take over anytime soon, after the initial flood in offerings the market will tail off and live along ICEs for a long time, and who knows maybe something else will come along that won't even need coal factories to produce bc electricity or pollute as much to build its batteries like H cells.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Emotionally invested 

Seriously, it is a car, a tool to get me to work. It just happens to be BY FAR the best one I have ever used up to today and it came as a surprise.

You are not the only one “enjoying” driving. But for some of us, “enjoying” driving a sport car for hours everyday in traffic gets old real fast. There are tools for a specific task, and toys for fun. Not everyone can mix both. You can, good for you. Now for the rest of us, let us share our experience in finding the best tool for our needs while you do spirited driving in your 911 going to work angry

Depends on what car I am stuck in traffic with. smiley

If I am stuck in traffic in my Turbo S with all the creature comfort? I do't mind. Neither do I mind getting stuck inside a Cayenne or a Panamera. 

But I will probably gone crazy getting stuck inside a Tesla with that ugly and cheap interior and already outdated dash ad screen. Or inside a minivan for that matters.

I probably don't mind getting stuck inside my Honda pickup though. Interior is not up to par with Porsche but it's way cheaper so different expectations. 

--

I have sat in a Cayenne for 10 years. Gets boring...

SciFrog:

Plenty of people do long trips with Teslas. You just don’t get, you will eventually. And again, Europe will be 5 to 10 years behind the US anyway. Actually I am at the point that if I had to do a medium trip (long trip I would fly...), I would actually take the X and not the RRS. It is just that much more convenient. The whole package makes it more than worth the small amount of time you might loose. You will get to your destination much more relaxed and less stressed, and so will your wife and your family. It is a no brainer. Battery prediction is so good range anxiety is not an issue unless you cut it real close. I did not want to believe it, but now I do completely. Planning your trip on the car computer is a breeze. It tells you where the super chargers are, and if they are free!

People just have to rethink a bit and create a couple of new neural pathways to understand how it works.

What a nonsense, sorry. To drive from Norway to Italy you pass through Germany. Only fools and people of high age will enjoy this with a Tesla that will be driven at 120/130 to get a reasonable range. 

While we are all passionate about our favorite marques, EV evangelists, especially those with Teslas, exhibit a very unique form of religious fervor.  Several of these posting left me to virtually pound my head against the wall.  

Well these posts leave me rather amused.

So I am reading that in Germany, everyone, everywhere, drives fast (ie around 160-180+?) not to get bored, and here in the context of people going in vacation, probably with family, kids and luggages. That is pretty amusing.

In Germany, on the autobahn, with family, I drive at 180 and sometimes over 200... perfectly safe with lane discipline and  a great way to cover distance. Nothing dangerous with that as long as you are focussed. Alone I push it. Only issue is with bumps and then you don’t really want To be  over 250. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691236 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410288 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256300 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235444 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65769 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858922 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775256 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM