Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New BMW 8 Series (2018)

SciFrog:

Just the fact people are comparing them now just shows how the regular 911 has lost their aura... The 911 used to be in another league.

Porsche brings more comfort, more polished driving, etc...what to expect? 992 demand here is a joke, almost none! Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

SciFrog:

Just the fact people are comparing them now just shows how the regular 911 has lost their aura... The 911 used to be in another league.

+1 Exactly

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

the 911 has always been compared to anything else that exists . The car is changing , but it is very far from being a '' has been '' . It is stil the best true sportscar that can be used 12 month a year , taken to the track , to the opera  and not have to worry about .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

The true to the heritage 911s of today are those from the GT3 and above with the GT2 RS being the pinnacle of 911ness.

The Carreras and even the AWD Turbo are very comparable in what they can do to many other cars from other German manufacturers. They are very competent cars, no doubt about that but they don't have the uniqueness and dominance  that differentiated previous 911 generations from "ordinary" cars. Besides, Porsche are becoming unreasonably expensive a fact that makes prospective buyers and people who used to be repeat buyers to also look elsewhere.

Compliments also to the competition who have upped their game significantly in recent years in terms of technology, performance and road manners to compete with Porsche.

--

Agreed, I would not consider anything but a GTx 911 today considering the price they ask for regular 911.

Gnil:

the 911 has always been compared to anything else that exists . The car is changing , but it is very far from being a '' has been '' . It is stil the best true sportscar that can be used 12 month a year , taken to the track , to the opera  and not have to worry about .

Absolutely true, but it’s the price that is pushing the car out of its market. I can get a 850i convertible and a M2 competition for the price of a well optioned 992. 

Carrera’s are very good cars but their msrp is getting out of control.

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

the older 911s get cooler as time passes, I'm in love with the 964 now, a few years ago it was the 993

Gnil:

spot on.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

I think any car can take me to the opera. 

--

In the new evo is an article about the 840d convertible. 4.5 stars. I agree 100% what is written

SciFrog:

It only shows that some people believe what BMW claims in their ads... Namely, that the 8 series is a sports car. 

Or that Carrera's are becoming more and more GT cars... 

--

spudgun:

Or that Carrera's are becoming more and more GT cars... 

You cannot compare the handling/performance of a 850 and a 992. Even a quick glance at the performance stats shows you that the BMW is a heavy pig in comparison.

Having driven the M850i extensively, I think it can’t be compared even to the M4 with “sports cars” in mind. Yes, it’s fast as hell in straight line, but that’s all. To put it into one sentence with the 992 is even more useless.

Assuming that the vast majority of buyers cannot or do not want to have one car for each purpose, IMO the 850i is more of a complete car than the 992, given the current pricing.

To specify a 992 S to the level of the BMW someone might need to spend €150.000 and that is before special decorative extras.

The fact that you might take a tight curve little faster in the Porsche will be irrelevant in the context of real ownership. These things might count in magazines and during test drives. On the counter side the 850 will be more comfortable in terms of noise and roar at any speed especially on longer drives, the driver will be behind a high capacity imperious V8 and day in day out the practicality will be welcome. There are plenty of swings and roundabouts in such comparisons with no definite winner or loser.

Surely, I am not dismissing the new Porsche (I am a Porsche fan and I still own 2)  but at the prices they are charging for the 992 prospective customers are driven to look at offerings from other top manufacturers..

--

MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

It only shows that some people believe what BMW claims in their ads... Namely, that the 8 series is a sports car. 

Well, if the 8 series is a sports car, so is my E63 S. Smiley Smiley

I really recommend test-driving the E63 S, many will be left speechless. Even now, I cannot believe the stuff you can do with this heavy pig, unbelievable.

Look at the latest straight line runs... (full tank, one passenger, 20°C outside temp) Smiley

IMG_8932.PNG
    IMG_8931.PNG

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

reginos:

Assuming that the vast majority of buyers cannot or do not want to have one car for each purpose, IMO the 850i is more of a complete car than the 992, given the current pricing.

To specify a 992 S to the level of the BMW someone might need to spend €150.000 and that is before special decorative extras.

The fact that you might take a tight curve little faster in the Porsche will be irrelevant in the context of real ownership. These things might count in magazines and during test drives. On the counter side the 850 will be more comfortable in terms of noise and roar at any speed especially on longer drives, the driver will be behind a high capacity imperious V8 and day in day out the practicality will be welcome. There are plenty of swings and roundabouts in such comparisons with no definite winner or loser.

Surely, I am not dismissing the new Porsche (I am a Porsche fan and I still own 2)  but at the prices they are charging for the 992 prospective customers are driven to look at offerings from other top manufacturers..

You are right regarding relative pricing. The BMW is the more attractive offer here.

However, the different drive feel will be felt every single minute on every single day... A Porsche just feels more precise and refined even if you just drive around in daily inner-city traffic Smiley

RC:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

Well, if the 8 series is a sports car, so is my E63 S. Smiley Smiley

No, yours is a sports-Taxi Smiley

reginos:

Couldn't have said it better. Smiley

--

Let's be honest here: If I'd look at a nice daily driver, I would always consider a Mercedes AMG or BMW M series. Both manufacturers have excellent lease offers or cash discounts, so it makes sense to choose a 850i instead of a 992 for example. I am talking daily driver here. For a fun weekend car, the 992 Carrera would be too boring for me. Same goes of course to any AMG or M series car. I love my E63 S but I only have one because of the family. For me, something smaller would suffice. I recently saw a very nice BMW M2 with full carbon package for 45k EUR, the car had only 7k km, very nice offer, basically new. Perfect daily driver.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

How is this as a large definition of a sport car:

A sport car is a vehicle that offers superior performance, handling and drive feel that entices you to (safely) push it to the limit for fun on a public road or at the track.

I like that one, but feel this one is too restrictive:

A sport car is a vehicle that is purpose built for going fast on a public road or at the track compromising on other considerations like confort and practicality.

BMW are about to fill another niche within a niche smiley.... The new 8 series Gran Coupe has been leaked ahead of a launch a few weeks away.

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 14.06.57.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 14.04.59.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 14.05.15.png

SciFrog:

How is this as a large definition of a sport car:

A sport car is a vehicle that offers superior performance, handling and drive feel that entices you to (safely) push it to the limit for fun on a public road or at the track.

I like that one, but feel this one is too restrictive:

A sport car is a vehicle that is purpose built for going fast on a public road or at the track compromising on other considerations like confort and practicality.

Stupid question: Do you have a so called weekend fun car, a car you take out every weekend just for the fun of it?

--

As you know I have three of them (actually 4 if you count the Mini convertible), in winter they are in the summer house because you can’t use them anyway. If on the weekend we have the occasion to take a fun car out, we always do it. Many weekends though it is not practical to drive, taking Ubers is way more convenient, you can drink and you don’t need to find parking spaces. A Uber pick you up and drops you off exactly where you need to go. It is almost as good as having a driver which we seriously considered at some point. But Uber saves a lot of time and hassles, especially considering driving an exotic car in a very congested city can be a chore. Uber is actually cheaper than parking and way cheaper than a driver.

Not sure what it has to do with the definition of a sport car. 

All beemers look the same to me these days. fancy names like Gran this & that don't make a difference 

That is sadly the case for all brands (merc and audi are the worst).

--

SciFrog:

As you know I have three of them (actually 4 if you count the Mini convertible), in winter they are in the summer house because you can’t use them anyway. If on the weekend we have the occasion to take a fun car out, we always do it. Many weekends though it is not practical to drive, taking Ubers is way more convenient, you can drink and you don’t need to find parking spaces. A Uber pick you up and drops you off exactly where you need to go. It is almost as good as having a driver which we seriously considered at some point. But Uber saves a lot of time and hassles, especially considering driving an exotic car in a very congested city can be a chore. Uber is actually cheaper than parking and way cheaper than a driver.

Not sure what it has to do with the definition of a sport car. 

I assume you live in a larger urban area up north of the US, so yes, a car would probably not make much sense when going downtown. In Florida, a car makes sense though, so does it in Germany. A weekend toy is the most important thing for me, pure relaxation. My wife enjoys swimming or tennis on weekends, I enjoy driving my car. Smiley

--

spudgun:

That is sadly the case for all brands (merc and audi are the worst).

There was a feature on the revised A4 range in Autocar a few weeks ago. They interviewed Audi Exterior designer Amor Vaya. He evidently tried to persuiade us all that their design team have taken note of criticism of all models looking the same but their interpretation od a different look is giving each model a slightly different grille design Smiley Smiley

Q&A with Amor Vaya, Audi exterior designer

What did you focus on with the redesign? 

“The A4 is a well-proportioned car, but the old one was occasionally called a little boring. We’ve put a lot of life and energy into it. We didn’t want to change the design principles, but we wanted to make a statement.” 

How did you do that? 

“The design is now a lot richer, more expressive. We’ve focused on the detail, with the use of 3D design elements, chrome parts and other small things that can make a big difference.” 

What are the challenges of doing a facelift design? 

“The fixed points were all designated six or seven years ago, so we have to work around that. That gives some limitations, but we’ve evolved the A4’s design substantially.” 

Why focus on differentiating the S4 and Allroad quattro? 

“We wanted to give each variant its own character. We’ve been criticised before for making every model and variant look similar, so now each model has its own character, and every car inside that model family does, too.”

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/audi-revamps-a4-range-hybrid-options-2019

The truth is, I like the current Audi design language a lot, they cars "pop out" of the mass of other cars. Not sure however how these cars will look in 10 years or so...

Mercedes? Never really liked the design but I like the muscular fenders of the C63 Cab/E63. To be honest though: If Porsche would have better prices, I would have taken a 911 Cab and a Panamera Turbo S again. I cannot however justify paying tons of money for daily drivers, makes no sense. I am willing to "sacrifice" for a weekend car which brings me endless job but a daily driver/family car? Not anymore, sorry. 

--

The first Panamera looks nicer today than when it came out. A proof of good design? Probably.

The first Generation Cayenne looks more terrible after 15 years.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762676 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435494 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260574 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257612 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80961 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872417 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807799 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM