Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car

For road use and given the constraints of top speed etc in the real world, AMG and BMW M make cars costing considerably less money than the 992, with top performance, excellent road manners and much greater practicality.

In the past people accepted to pay more for the Porsche badge. Now with 250.000 units produced including the likes of Macan 2.0 and the all electric Taycan, the Porsche allure for the petrolhead has been degraded to the level of good premium cars.

Porsche cannot be serious to ask the same money for the 992 S before essential extras like RWS for example  as for something like  the M850i a complete and imperious car with everything thrown in the price.

Porsche pricing is designed to cover for the VW losses, unfortunately.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

reginos:

Just wait for the first sales result then it will be a good time soon to enter their showroom...Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Whoopsy:

Looks gigantic 

The "small" test drivers also make the car look huge!

996FourEss:
    SciFrog:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Wonderbar:

I like the 992 and am considering it as a next car later next year...

It is a great car, still King of the Hill, the price has gone up a bit much and if you an NA guy you may miss the NA engine but otherwise it is fascistic in everything else, it handles amazing, looks great, safe and fast, etc. there is no other sportscar like It still.

Of course it is still a great car. But take away the need for the two small rear seats and the regular 992 has a lot of worthy competition today. It might still be king of of hill for some, but the pool is shrinking with every generation and price hike. Just look at the members of this forum.

Personally there are 10 other sport cars I would buy before considering any 992 Smiley

Ok what are the 10? I have a ‘97 993 4S which I don’t drive enough but I also have two kids I don’t see enough so the rear seats are a must. What is your call? 

“But take away the need for the two small rear seats”

Sorry you did not read the (badly written) sentence Smiley You need rear seats. In this case it is hard to beat the 911 without more compromises on the sportiness or the price (but not impossible).

the-missile:
    reginos:

Just wait for the first sales result then it will be a good time soon to enter their showroom...Smiley

Once the first wave of sales due to the product refresh fades, expect big discounts or subsidized leases for the regular 992, especially in Europe.

nberry:

It's an abomination.I can't believe how ugly this car looks especially with the wing engaged.mail

The interior looks better, although some of the switch gear sucks.

Exterior looks puffy and swollen like a cyst on wheels.

And with a swollen body comes swollen pricing. If they want new 911 buyers to cross shop low mileage  Huracans they have achieved their objective.

Likely people will get used to it's proportions and odd shapes, like they will with BMW grills.

I was taught that just because something can be done doesn’t mean it should be done. I was also taught that the wheel was invented once and only once. Those principles have been discarded and the results are not good.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

My SA called me yesterday just to chat. I asked him about the sales of the 992. He stated they have received many orders and the interest is very high. I've known this SA for many years and he was not "puffing" the interest in the car. 

Brand name means a great deal and if they put a Porsche sticker on a garbage truck they would sell a ton of them.yes

Also, he told me they are asking $200,000 over MSRP for the GT3 Spyder. That's almost twice the MSRP. Who in their right mind would pay that? I doubt the car will be worth that much in ten years.

--

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

fwiw: we had a 992 4s during a track day last week. It's faster than a 991 GTS, but I couldn't believe how quiet it is from the outside, even under full throttle

nberry:

My SA called me yesterday just to chat. I asked him about the sales of the 992. He stated they have received many orders and the interest is very high. I've known this SA for many years and he was not "puffing" the interest in the car. 

He is not lying nick, the 992 will sell well, even at this price, it is always the same story with each generation, been here long enough to see the doomsayers eat their words time and time again. The 996 outsold the 993 by three fold, the 997 crossed the 200,000+ units sold mark, and the 991 did the same, the 992 will be no different, that is why Porsche is raising the price, because they know they can get away with it... over a million 911 sold since it's birth and there is still no other sporstcar like the 911 and Porsche's image is as popular as it ever was.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

While the exterior of the 992 has not won me over, I am very intrigued about the mechanicals of the forthcoming GT3.  ITB’s and close to 550 hp NA with Manual, new suspension developments, integrated Michelin-Connect like tire monitoring for the track, etc make this another ED opportunity I cannot ignore indecision

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Carlos, I agree with you about the continued good sales of the 911, but disagree with you about Porsche charging what they can get away with. The 992 is a better car, and so on backwards over the years, and improvements in technology cost money.  It’s unrealistic to think that a manufacturer should hold prices the same...

I was underwhelmed by the 992 in photographs; however, seeing in person, it is quite handsome.  While I am not enthused by the size, I do understand why Porsche has needed to make the 991 larger with each passing generation.  

Wonderbar:

Carlos, I agree with you about the continued good sales of the 911, but disagree with you about Porsche charging what they can get away with. The 992 is a better car, and so on backwards over the years, and improvements in technology cost money.  It’s unrealistic to think that a manufacturer should hold prices the same...

I understand that every generation is going to get more expensive because the cost of living and inflation goes up, but my impression is that they are increasing prices beyond these increased costs you mention, that they have increased further their profit margin on the 911, which was already big compared to other makers. The 911 was never been this expensive compared to is competition, I may be wrong but this is the impression I get, I don't see other German manufacturers like Mercedes or BMW increase prices like that, and they offer the same or more technology in their cars. Don't get me wrong, as a customer it doesn't please me but I understand it fully, if their product is that good and popular as a for profit company they have a right to increase prices to take advantage of it.

--

On topic comment: Tesla has actually been cutting prices for the last decade...

IMG_0162.jpg

From this angle, the 992 Convertibble looks really good! 

I especially love the circled part, the very pronounced rear shoulder.

But the car looks ugly again as soon as the sign goes up 

--

Wonderbar:

Much of the improvements to the 911 road car have transferred from their super cars and racing. The supercar research is paid for by the buyers of those cars. The racing is paid for by sponsorship.

Carlos is correct, Porsche is setting pricing on not only on profit margin but what they believe their customer base will tolerate. You're a prime example.Smiley

--

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

922 will sell well, no doubt.

SciFrog:

On topic comment: Tesla has actually been cutting prices for the last decade...

Teslas were also overexpenisve to start with given their average quality build, interiors, etc, and are also subsidized with tax payer's hard earned money, and needed to cut prices to boost sales and meet quotas so as not fold from their precarious economic situation... No lets go back to sportscars and leave tesla for its tesla thread.

--

Let’s be more on topic, is it still a sport car if the emotions are gone or toned down?

SciFrog:

Let’s be more on topic, is it still a sport car if the emotions are gone or toned down?

Are you actually asking if the 992 is a sportscar? Have you driven one? yes

--

Sadly I do not have time to waste to try a car I have zero interest to actually buy. My McLaren dealer wanted to give me a 720S for the weekend and I declined to keep my license intact and because kids don’t fit in it. There is a whole list of cool cars I would want to try before a regular 992... So that’s why I ask people’s opinion. And my question is very relevant: what does make a car a sport car?

Why bother asking other people's opinion if you say you have zero interest in it? If you never drive other sportscars, you have no references to judge others by, and others opinion are no substitute. You don't want to "waste" time driving a 992 coming from someone driving around in a 2+ ton 7 seater minivan? In my world it would be the other way around. Nothing in your post sense Scifrog.

--

I want the 992 interior, in a 964 body.

Driving new 911s, including all my 991s, are like driving a boat compared to the 964.

--

True, but in all fairness Porsche is not particularly to blame in that, same thing happened to cars in general, take an E30-M3 vs a modern one or a Gen I Golf GTI vs latest gen... Its legislation requirements, tougher safety standards, customer tendencies, etc... We are a weird bunch here.

--

Now if only car makers make cars for RoW body type and not for Americans too......................

--

Carlos from Spain:

Why bother asking other people's opinion if you say you have zero interest in it? If you never drive other sportscars, you have no references to judge others by, and others opinion are no substitute. You don't want to "waste" time driving a 992 coming from someone driving around in a 2+ ton 7 seater minivan? In my world it would be the other way around. Nothing in your post sense Scifrog.

I drive my own sport cars which is part of the reason why the 992 doesn’t tick any boxes for me, because I bought them for a reason and I find them exceptional in some ways, but what does it have to do with the question?

What does make a sport car?

Carlos from Spain:

True, but in all fairness Porsche is not particularly to blame in that, same thing happened to cars in general, take an E30-M3 vs a modern one or a Gen I Golf GTI vs latest gen... Its legislation requirements, tougher safety standards, customer tendencies, etc... We are a weird bunch here.

True, all cars are getting fat...

For me 992 is a great looking car. Liked it on pictures and even more when saw it in flesh. The only thing that I don't like much is the interior. The whole front console...the driver dash and the passenger side too...Hard to explain why, but it just not my cup of tea...I would prefer completely digital or completely analog dash, don't like this digi-nalog mix. I could wish for a better sound, perhaps GTS will improve it.  The rest of the car looks just right to me. Hope facelift will be even better. 

Whoopsy:

I want the 992 interior, in a 964 body.

Driving new 911s, including all my 991s, are like driving a boat compared to the 964.

Singer Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690475 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255993 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235271 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65647 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858405 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774682 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM