Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 992 GT3

I was so lucky with my Z4 M40i. A friend finally decided to get one because he liked my car and now the offer is through the roof, the lease is super expensive and the car he wanted...has been sold and the dealer has no clue when he gets one in the same color again.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Chaos in the European auto industry which will incur huge losses. The Chinese will benefit from this too.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/how-russias-invasion-ukraine-impacting-auto-industry

According to this article NO Taycan, Macan and Panamera output for Porsche!

The West shouldn't pay anything for the oil and gas supplies, for as long as they last. Money should be held against the war reparations that Russia should pay to Ukraine. Who will rebuild the Ukainian infrastructure and with what money?

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

You worry about the delivery date for your car. Other people worry about getting their car, house or family bombed to pieces heart

bluelines:

You worry about the delivery date for your car. Other people worry about getting their car, house or family bombed to pieces heart

True but I think people are more worried about the general impact on the Western car industry...

I followed a discussion in a German Z4 forum and two people who ordered a Z4 were just informed by their dealers that they cannot tell them when their cars will be finished or delivered. Both were upset but also expressed their feelings that they support Ukraine and they blame Putin for it, not the West.

I noticed that those Germans (I talk a lot to my patients about Ukraine but I try to stay neutral) who supported conspiracy theories and the nationalist German AfD party in the past, are the same who believe that Putin is right with Ukraine, some of them seem to have even fallen for Russian propaganda that there is no war in Ukraine. Smiley

One of them showed me pictures from his Telegram (of course Smiley) account from a movie set where the evil West (CIA) was filming so called victims and war scenes to distribute fake news around the world. Smiley I've seen these false claims a few days ago and know that this is just a movie set from a movie, used to distribute fake news about the Russians not conducting any war in Ukraine and I tried to explain this to him, even wanted to show him on my phone but he became aggressive and defiant and since he is a customer, I didn't insist anymore. I guess these are the same people believing that the moon landing was faked. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Focussing on the car topic, Seems like production stops are rolling and in some cases there has already been a resumption? Anyone have more of an update?

My dealer insists that he will pay attention to the internal Porsche dealer scheduling.  As of this morning, my CP8 date for the GT3 Touring has not changed from weeks ago.  Maybe the screen shot above is not official?

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Taycan Turbo + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

From a manufacturing perspective, I would expect an (engineering heavy) firm like Porsche to quickly find a supplier who can at the right price implement their specifications to production (at least in limited quantities) without too much disruption to existing commitments to other customers; so that certain high margin models will continue with minimal delay.    Simply making the most of what little you can get.

Gladstone:

From a manufacturing perspective, I would expect an (engineering heavy) firm like Porsche to quickly find a supplier who can at the right price implement their specifications to production (at least in limited quantities) without too much disruption to existing commitments to other customers; so that certain high margin models will continue with minimal delay.    Simply making the most of what little you can get.

It is not impossible. There should be many other wiring loom companies in Europe, but they may not have the capacity, either at this moment or in the near future.

Porsche would have the master CAD file fro the wiring diagram so that part is easy, just send the file to someone else. 

The connectors might be coming from a 3rd party but maybe not, and if not then there will be CAD files for those also.

All that's left is to assembly copper wires into a loom. Terminate them and package them.

But Porsche will need to test the final product to see if they meet their own specification, to validate them before sending them off to the production line.

They might even have a secondary company on file already, the one that loses the initial bid. 

But in the end it all takes time. Assuming they found someone with capacity, the production could restart in as little as a month. 

--

^

If only the manufacturing world were that simple... there are many standards and processes required to be met....and before they can be met they have to verified...and certified. Automotive qualification is not easy, or quick!

The EU rules and regulations are now self inflicting multiple wounds. Just as JIT is now creating its own nightmare.

Some ideas and process are just hunky dory...until the soft underbelly is exposed.

Not a chance that it would resume in a month... unless materials could be diverted/rearranged, otherwise lead times are another deadly bullet. And with Covid pull backs where is the labour/capacity?

This is a mess of great magnitude..and a gift which is going to keep on giving..... once you have addressed material shortages...then you have to address labour shortages ....good luck in China (with the crackdowns).

If the factories were really bombed (?) ..big trouble... but there ar so many false flags..so who really knows what is going on..and so many "dirty hands" in the whole pie.

A bit of wishful thinking on my part as I have a GT4RS scheduled. 

But with an educated guess, no manufacturers would only certified only one supplier, so it's only natural that Porsche would have more than one certified.

Material wise it would be a problem, but the process, well that should be simple. Either one is in or one is out.

--

Well, I worked in the automotive supplier industry. I am 100 % sure that the cable loom companies in Ukraine are plants of German supplier. So, bringing back the production to Germany will be the deal now. In these circumstances all approval and certification processes of the automotive companies are all of the sudden extremely short. I have good hope the production will be started up fast, but fast means a week of 3-4. Will give a call to a friend how wroks in this industry,

3-4 weeks is about a month.......

--

JR-550:

Well, I worked in the automotive supplier industry. I am 100 % sure that the cable loom companies in Ukraine are plants of German supplier. So, bringing back the production to Germany will be the deal now. In these circumstances all approval and certification processes of the automotive companies are all of the sudden extremely short. I have good hope the production will be started up fast, but fast means a week of 3-4. Will give a call to a friend how wroks in this industry,

Correct. I heard that machinery will be moved to other (EU) countries where this supplier has facilities already...oh boy, my new DD BMW had a delivery date Feb, then Apr, now Jun and I already hope that delivery will take place still in 2022 ...

JR-550:

Much will depend on how much equipment, for example, the wiring fixtures, can be removed from the facilities in Ukraine. If the new fixtures and tooling are needed, add a couple of months to that time schedule.  

The factory was bombed..supposedly?

Have you checked lead times for copper/aluminum wire lately?

Have you checked lead times for replacement equipment?

Have you checked labor availability?

We are an automotive supplier, as well as a semi conductor equipment maker parts supplier....and I can tell you shortages are unpredictable/unmanageable. Lead times are growing sometimes from 26 weeks to 52 weeks..which means in supplier terms "we don't know when you will get parts". That response is compounded for every link in the chain.

The disarray in Supply Chains is mind boggling and not just the above, it is everywhere from steel to make frames/cages to plastics and other components. No predicting the new "fly in the ointment" for today's production.

Many Supply Chains are running on luck...... long may it continue, but I doubt it.

Contingency planning (replacement factory) assumes the availability of personnel to execute those plans...were those people bombed?

Today it is tough being in the "prediction" business.

Look at Porsche ..when you see something go from 1 day to completion (TYD) to 34 days...you think that is accurate ..or wishful thinking?

One thing is for sure I am happy got my Taycan Turbo and 911 Turbo early last year. Bought both cars with a nice discount. At the moment you are everybody’s mercy to even get a car. Got a call from my Audi dealer if he could buy my 4 years old R8 V10. This never happened to me in my live!

JR-550:

VAG sources from all available partners nowadays, I strongly assume that has become common at Porsche under their leadership as well. 

I know of Japanese suppliers that have produced wiring looms in the Ukraine as well, as Friends were responsible for the contract with VAG.

I've been waiting for 4 months now for a set of tires for an M2 that I sold two weeks ago lol 

The harness supplier is Leoni

So apparently there is a shortage coming in PCCB‘s and some people are getting calls that their option will not be able to be fulfilled as part of the build? Ie. You can have your car, but it is steels only…

anyone else picking this up? 

996FourEss:

So apparently there is a shortage coming in PCCB‘s and some people are getting calls that their option will not be able to be fulfilled as part of the build? Ie. You can have your car, but it is steels only…

anyone else picking this up? 

The new larger (and dimpled rather than drilled) iron brakes are great.  Don’t let that prevent you from getting a car.  New pads are lousy on both brake systems though (easily changed after purchase).

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Ok, but the standard brakes on the Cayenne turbo (PSCB) or whatever they are called are rubbish. I would not recommend a Cayenne turbo w/o PCCBs. 

996FourEss:

Ok, but the standard brakes on the Cayenne turbo (PSCB) or whatever they are called are rubbish. I would not recommend a Cayenne turbo w/o PCCBs. 

I have PSCBs on my Taycan Turbo.  They seem fine EXCEPT in near freezing wet conditions.  Snow, sleet, slush, near freezing rain, all seem to make them into low friction situations.  Super high (completely unexpected) pedal pressure until the cold water is removed from the disks by pad contact.  Damn scary the first few times it happens.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Taycan Turbo + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

Ok if you are going out to a restaurant and want to announce your arrival with brake squeel, then the PSCBs are great. Otherwise, always get the PCCBs. If you can do steels, guess they are also Ok. Not sure steels are an option on Cayenne turbos??

W8MM:
    996FourEss:

I have PSCBs on my Taycan Turbo.  They seem fine EXCEPT in near freezing wet conditions.  Snow, sleet, slush, near freezing rain, all seem to make them into low friction situations.  Super high (completely unexpected) pedal pressure until the cold water is removed from the disks by pad contact.  Damn scary the first few times it happens.

The quick fix would be once I felt I am skating on the PCCB brakes, I lifted the brake and reapply. Most of the time it works. 

--

yes I heard the same thing on a FB group, people were being told by their dealers that the PCCB option will not be available due to shortages

only on those cars where they are standard

JR-550:

Yep...3-4 weeks minimum and thank god we are talking "minor" parts only which can be replaced "easily".

--

JR-550:

One thing is for sure I am happy got my Taycan Turbo and 911 Turbo early last year. Bought both cars with a nice discount. At the moment you are everybody’s mercy to even get a car. Got a call from my Audi dealer if he could buy my 4 years old R8 V10. This never happened to me in my live!

Yep, markets go crazy right now but if someone wants a new car in Germany, BMW seems to have still good offers in Germany. Got a good (well, for the current conditions) offer for the brand new M240i xDrive Coupe yesterday. First offer a few weeks ago was 499 EUR a month for a car worth 62k or so and now the offer was 799 EUR for a car worth 67k EUR. Expensive but compared to other offers, quite a deal. Cash deals come with a 7-9% discount, if you are a good customer over 10%. Still not bad.

--

Hello guys. I have been away for awhile. Picked up my GT3 last November. 2k miles on it already. A big upgrade from my 991.2 GT3. My Taycan Turbo was due in July. Now TBD ….

C04ECEB8-9634-4C1F-8D26-9F22AD82B0F0.jpeg
    67302A34-EB9E-4025-BB52-45766BBEDC29.jpeg
    B72E5974-0E3A-416E-A779-20A5F35B194D.jpeg

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688542 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408695 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255520 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234777 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65393 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4635 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857577 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773365 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM