Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

1558799482857image.jpeg

...what is going on in China? Smiley

Panamera, Maybach +587%???

Macan & Cayenne still on fairly high numbers; PAG is not going to change anything anytime soon angry

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Here we go (again).

The X is the opposite of a minivan. A minivan is cheap, slow, drives horribly, uncool, boxy, has a short front, no AWD, a horrible interior, no tech, not luxury and has sliding doors. The X has NONE of these characteristics. The only thing in common is that they are both very practical smiley

The Cayenne TTS is a fantastic daily driver, so is the Macan turbo. But the Macan is now ugly and is long in the tooth, a Cayenne TTS nicely optioned is $170k, depreciates like nothing else especially if you put miles on it, and eats brakes and tires like no tomorrow. My last CTTS cost me $90k over 5 years in depreciation on top of over $25k at Porsche dealer in service for 40,000 miles of mostly highway. And in the end the sunroof still rattled after 5 visits to fix it.

The Panamera is also a fantastic daily driver. But it is even more expensive and is too small to be used as a family car or to carry stuffs back and forth during the week, so it becomes a very one dimensional vehicle. It would make more sense if it was convertible though, or just to get a 911 GTS convertible as they are getting more practical.

Being able to use a 911 as a daily driver is awesome. But very few can swing it, between traffic, weather, low seating and the small size, not easy.

Tesla Model S Performance (P100D) refresh sets 1/4-mile record fresh from the factory

https://apple.news/A1co9mNMETs2Cht6bYvqnbw

That’s supercar territory. 10.6s on 19” wheels.

Watch Tesla Model 3 ace the 'Moose test'

https://apple.news/AB19WxJYBTrW1qonjjtRX4w

Elon Musk was paid more in 2018 than the next 65 highest-paid CEOs combined

https://apple.news/AMlLYJ9wzQySB45A_igJiOA

I guess he is also a “genius” at paying himself angry

https://apple.news/AbeG2NKiTQSi3fTRU6k-CNg

Please note the Audi boss comment, and the general assessment of the battery market by Jaguar.

SciFrog:

Here we go (again).

The X is the opposite of a minivan. A minivan is cheap, slow, drives horribly, uncool, boxy, has a short front, no AWD, a horrible interior, no tech, not luxury and has sliding doors. The X has NONE of these characteristics. The only thing in common is that they are both very practical smiley

The Cayenne TTS is a fantastic daily driver, so is the Macan turbo. But the Macan is now ugly and is long in the tooth, a Cayenne TTS nicely optioned is $170k, depreciates like nothing else especially if you put miles on it, and eats brakes and tires like no tomorrow. My last CTTS cost me $90k over 5 years in depreciation on top of over $25k at Porsche dealer in service for 40,000 miles of mostly highway. And in the end the sunroof still rattled after 5 visits to fix it.

The Panamera is also a fantastic daily driver. But it is even more expensive and is too small to be used as a family car or to carry stuffs back and forth during the week, so it becomes a very one dimensional vehicle. It would make more sense if it was convertible though, or just to get a 911 GTS convertible as they are getting more practical.

Being able to use a 911 as a daily driver is awesome. But very few can swing it, between traffic, weather, low seating and the small size, not easy.

Hmm that's YOUR definition. FYI the Toyota Sienna has AWD. The Toyota Alphard is one of the most luxurious minivan in Asia. Some of the Mercedes V-class are also quite expensive in their configurations and luxurious inside. The Honda minivan vans pioneered many interior technology and innovations also. 

To most people in the world, a minivan is a 3 row people mover with a high roof and flat floor, the rear 2 rows can be configurable. A sliding door is not a necessity, some of the Japanese home market ones have conventional doors.

As it happens. the words in bold clearly described a Model X. A lot of parents at my sons' school had traded in their minivans for a Model X, so that fits another typical characteristic of a minivan, soccer mom's people mover, but a more expensive version of a minivan.

Elon maybe trying to call it a SUV, and some of the fans also tried to label it as such. But it is far from a SUV with that low of a ground clearance. IT's more like a SUV wanna be and at best a crossover/minivan. One look at any of the SUVs on the market as compared to a Model X and one will noticed there will be nothing similar between them.

--

Carlos from Spain:

Scifrog: 

Bottom line: they are kind of bluffed by the X, as I have been in the last two months of use, and there is zero competition in its segment. I will reiterate what will bother a lot of you here: the X is the BEST daily driver I have ever owned.

Doesn't bother me, all you are saying is that it is the best daily driver for you, don't see a problem with that at all, you are speaking just for yourself.

Smiley

OTOH a 2.5 ton EV minivan on autopilot as a daily would make me absolutely miserable. Best part of the working day for me is the commute because I get to do it on a 911 and my commute allows me to enjoy driving it. To each his own.

SmileySmileySmiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

Here we go (again).

Hmm that's YOUR definition. FYI the Toyota Sienna has AWD. The Toyota Alphard is one of the most luxurious minivan in Asia. Some of the Mercedes V-class are also quite expensive in their configurations and luxurious inside. The Honda minivan vans pioneered many interior technology and innovations also. 

To most people in the world, a minivan is a 3 row people mover with a high roof and flat floor, the rear 2 rows can be configurable. A sliding door is not a necessity, some of the Japanese home market ones have conventional doors.

As it happens. the words in bold clearly described a Model X. A lot of parents at my sons' school had traded in their minivans for a Model X, so that fits another typical characteristic of a minivan, soccer mom's people mover, but a more expensive version of a minivan.

Elon maybe trying to call it a SUV, and some of the fans also tried to label it as such. But it is far from a SUV with that low of a ground clearance. IT's more like a SUV wanna be and at best a crossover/minivan. One look at any of the SUVs on the market as compared to a Model X and one will noticed there will be nothing similar between them.

So the Chevrolet Tahoe/Suburban, the Infinity QX80 are minivans... OK... but then so are the Mercedes GLS, the Ford Expedition, the Toyota Land Rover, the Nissan Armada...

Soccer moms have been using large SUVs instead of minivans for decades not to have the stigma of driving minivans. The X is achieving the exact same thing.

At least we agree on something, the X is not a SUV. For me it is a large crossover, a category that did not really exist before.

SciFrog:
    Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

Here we go (again).

So the Chevrolet Tahoe/Suburban, the Infinity QX80 are minivans... OK... but then so are the Mercedes GLS, the Ford Expedition, the Toyota Land Rover, the Nissan Armada...

Soccer moms have been using large SUVs instead of minivans for decades not to have the stigma of driving minivans. The X is achieving the exact same thing.

At least we agree on something, the X is not a SUV. For me it is a large crossover, a category that did not really exist before.

None of them had a flat floor. They also have much higher ground clearance than the Model X, nice try though.

--

Well I just went to check the Suburban that sits in my driveway right now. It is flat, you are wrong... Of course they have a higher ground clearance, they are SUVs, not crossovers like the X, that’s the main difference. Sorry but it is not a “try”, it is what it is. The X is not a minivan, period, there is no getting around this.

1B34AED6-6AEB-4DDA-9397-E30961A7294D.jpeg
    28EE091E-C71B-442C-8A1F-24CE6C81014D.jpeg

If anything, just look at the two pictures above, you cannot tell with a straight face that these vehicles are in the same category, they have 4 wheels and 7 seats, but then bodies look completely different and have very different proportions. And that what the X has achieved: practicality of a minivan without looking like one, mostly the reason why people have been using SUVs for decades (because clearly people don’t buy SUVs to go off-road nor do they care for ground clearance).

005FDCE3-6F58-4B26-BFE9-99A80C0DB56C.png
    F4CB0108-B65B-48AB-81A9-D1B88148C054.jpeg

Actually the X look more closer to the Cayenne coupeangry

SciFrog:

Well I just went to check the Suburban that sits in my driveway right now. It is flat, you are wrong... Of course they have a higher ground clearance, they are SUVs, not crossovers like the X, that’s the main difference. Sorry but it is not a “try”, it is what it is. The X is not a minivan, period, there is no getting around this.

If anything, just look at the two pictures above, you cannot tell with a straight face that these vehicles are in the same category, they have 4 wheels and 7 seats, but then bodies look completely different and have very different proportions. And that what the X has achieved: practicality of a minivan without looking like one, mostly the reason why people have been using SUVs for decades (because clearly people don’t buy SUVs to go off-road nor do they care for ground clearance).

You can keep arguing if you want.Trying to be cute with words I see. 

In automotive terms, flat floor means there is no drivetrain components under the passenger compartment floor. You know that, but you do't want to admit a Model X begin a minivan/crossover.

Under your Suburban, there is the drive shaft that runs under.

In Tesla's case, it's the battery pack but that doesn't counts a drivetrain component. It's equivalent to a gas tank.

A tiger may look different than and a household cat, but it's still a cat and not a dog, calling a tiger a dog does't make it a dog.

--

The closest category it fits under by shape and proportions both inside and outside is in minivan class. If you don't want to see it as a minivan that is ok, as long as you realise that most everybody else will see it as a minivan. That said, it shouldn't detract from your owner's experience, I don't think you bought this car because of its looks, is qualities to you are other.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

You can keep arguing if you want.Trying to be cute with words I see. 

In automotive terms, flat floor means there is no drivetrain components under the passenger compartment floor. You know that, but you do't want to admit a Model X begin a minivan/crossover.

Under your Suburban, there is the drive shaft that runs under.

In Tesla's case, it's the battery pack but that doesn't counts a drivetrain component. It's equivalent to a gas tank.

A tiger may look different than and a household cat, but it's still a cat and not a dog, calling a tiger a dog does't make it a dog.

Actually not trying to be cute, I did not know you meant that by “flat”. So all front wheel drive cars are “flat”? How about a RWD 911 with the engine in the back?

But I see better now maybe why you categorize the X as a minivan. It has a somewhat low flat floor and seats 7 peopleSmiley It looks nothing like a minivan nor does it have any of their characteristics but it’s still a minivan... whatever fancies you Smiley

The bottom line is that it has none of the stigmas of what 99% of the people associate minivans with. That’s good enough for me.

Carlos from Spain:

The closest category it fits under by shape and proportions both inside and outside is in minivan class. 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

As the pics above show the exact opposite Smiley

Gotta give Toyota some props. The Sienna is a mid engine mini van, some with awd.  Even Porsche hasn't made a mid engine awd vehicle that can seat more than 2 people.

C999EA08-571F-44BE-9B24-3B242930FFEA.jpeg
    4EDDF2C4-B975-46E8-A4B3-2283DD5924A4.jpeg
    7C2677F1-0A4C-472C-B787-61F7FAF4B053.jpeg
    3DF3C7DC-975F-4732-8928-7024B62B5338.jpeg
    8C81FACF-DD42-45EF-8962-0BA6EAB49A14.jpegin random order, an air show, my sky ride for the day and a very nice etron. 

Interior is very nice and bigger than Q3. Very nice for people who don’t need the range or 7 seats. It has a street presence that says it is not a normal car. 

It's understandable that the Tesla share price gets all the headlines, but the action in the credit markets could be even more significant... Smiley

1558989657576image.png

...with the one-year probability of credit default implied over 50 per cent?!? Smiley

SciFrog:

C999EA08-571F-44BE-9B24-3B242930FFEA.jpeg
    4EDDF2C4-B975-46E8-A4B3-2283DD5924A4.jpeg
    7C2677F1-0A4C-472C-B787-61F7FAF4B053.jpeg
    3DF3C7DC-975F-4732-8928-7024B62B5338.jpeg
    8C81FACF-DD42-45EF-8962-0BA6EAB49A14.jpegin random order, an air show, my sky ride for the day and a very nice etron. 

Interior is very nice and bigger than Q3. Very nice for people who don’t need the range or 7 seats. It has a street presence that says it is not a normal car. 

That e-tron is extremely nice. I spent some time in one a while ago. 

Best EV on the market right now. It's the benchmark everything measure up against. 

Jaguar I-Pace, if one discounted the awkward styling, is also up there.

--

JimFlat6:

Gotta give Toyota some props. The Sienna is a mid engine mini van, some with awd.  Even Porsche hasn't made a mid engine awd vehicle that can seat more than 2 people.

Jim, Sienna is front engine-d.

--

A few years ago there was a turbocharged Honda Odyssey in the One Lap of America.  https://youtu.be/pf1GA4pdh1A. Very potent for a minivan.  

The Etron has definitely a place in the market as a mid size luxurious SUV, and slots between the Q5 and the Q7 in size, but with finishes probably above both. Great winter daily driver for old people who don’t drive too fast or too far and want to be pampered, much better than the iPace. The interior has interesting volumes and is well executed. I could not play with the screens but it seemed to have two small of them in the middle, but on different level/plane, and of course a dash screen. The rear seat and cargo seemed the same as the Cayenne, which is probably its real competition but only for some people.

NIO postpones its electric sedan after rough first quarter

https://apple.news/AJi8lGFFtTsO0KSStGVvqlw

This makes Tesla look like a sound and safe company in comparaison...

SciFrog:

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/stocks/nio-surges-after-es8-deliveries-surprise-adding-further-china-pressure-on-tesla-14972...

Say what again?

While Tesla try to sidestep the price/tariff deficit with a Chinese factory, it is still an American brand and the Chinese aren't too friendly with those right now.

Tesla is in trouble if they want to compete against the home growth EV company.

--

Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/stocks/nio-surges-after-es8-deliveries-surprise-adding-further-china-pressure-on-tesla-14972...

Say what again?

While Tesla try to sidestep the price/tariff deficit with a Chinese factory, it is still an American brand and the Chinese aren't too friendly with those right now.

Tesla is in trouble if they want to compete against the home growth EV company.

Maybe just another piece of evidence that EV cars will never have a significant market share. All doomed...

SciFrog:

The Etron has definitely a place in the market as a mid size luxurious SUV, and slots between the Q5 and the Q7 in size, but with finishes probably above both. Great winter daily driver for old people who don’t drive too fast or too far and want to be pampered, much better than the iPace. The interior has interesting volumes and is well executed. I could not play with the screens but it seemed to have two small of them in the middle, but on different level/plane, and of course a dash screen. The rear seat and cargo seemed the same as the Cayenne, which is probably its real competition but only for some people.

This is on par with Saul's conversion on the road to Damascus.  It has only taken you how many months to get to this point?  There is a sizable market for the Audi e-tron and Mercedes EQC as they represent a different targeting of the overall EV market. Not everyone wants a relatively unrefined dragster that seats seven.  

Tesla is rejiggering its Fremont factory to build the Model Y SUV and a Model S refresh

https://apple.news/AyYLPnKfISRSxZQ_WueAJjA

Lot of info on what is coming in the next few months, looks “semi official” info... Of note no Model X interior refresh mentioned (doesn’t need one IMHO, it holds the comparison vs the competition, even the Etron, because it is minimalist and does not compete head to head), maybe only a bigger battery but the range implied maybe only leads to a 110kw, not a 120+.

Did I ever say there was no market for Audi and Mercedes? What I said was that the range of the Etron and the iPace was going to be an issue for a non negligible potential market (for example yesterday I would have gone back home empty with the Audi and it is not even winter). What I also said is that the X is not exactly in the same segment as the Etron and the iPace. They will compete vs the Y because of size, range and price. The Y will compete very favorably in range, performance, autopilot, 7 seats and price, but interior will be below this elevated standard.

What is new though is that I realized the Etron is a little larger, a little cheaper and the interior is nicer than before seeing it live and pricing one up online, for sure it trounces the iPace. It will appeal to families who do not need 3 seats and drive small distances, or older couples who do not want a sedan.

What is also clear is that Audi does not make money on the Etron for several obvious reasons (new tech and they want to “kill” Tesla). They will see some level of cannibalization for high margin Q5/Q7 and A6 sedans.

There are many adjectives you could use to characterize a Tesla, unrefined is surely not one of them and clearly one that is not used in real objective reviews, only by biased or desperate people trying to make an inflammatory point Smiley

It's safe to say whatever Elon says Tesla will make will be vapour ware until such time they actually makes them, which will be on a delayed and delayed timeline that keep slipping for whatever reasons they can think of. And production target will also slip and slip into the infinite future.

Up until now, it's 100% fact. 

--

Totally agree. Vaporware until you can get one and price and specs are set.

Tesla is opening pre-orders for new Model 3 made in China on Friday

https://apple.news/AsMfG1h3PR4asEEipQH70Ng

More headwind in next few months until the factory is up and running.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689935 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409431 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255838 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235070 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65578 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858184 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774294 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM