Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Our new 991: 2019 911 Turbo, Arenarot

A few weeks ago Rossi wrote his wonderful story about a new Italian girl in his garage and life – I mentioned that I would have a similar one coming, and here it is…. 

Background:  
    Our 2009 Porshe Racing Green 997 C2S has been with us since early 2010, is now a ten year old car with the advanced mileage of almost 70,000 km (Carlos you can stop laughing now…Smiley).  While it drives as well as ever, the power no longer seems amazing, and the PDK in particular is quite a bit slower and less refined than anything being made today.   As we contemplated replacing our 2009 with a newer 911 model, we test drove many options, but came away with no clear winners.

GT models:  always love the engine in these, but overall useability as a daily driver, where we live, is not great. We need a daily and long trip car that is still fun, not a weekender – our 911 is my wife’s daily driver in the city, and we split driving on all road trips.  She is not a fan of the wing either… Smiley

991.2 Carrera models:  we were disappointed in the engine; to us it feels weak in the bottom of the range, always aware that it is now just 3.0 litres.  Rest of the car is fine and improved where it needs to be.  But nothing that said “order one now”.  My wife felt it confirmed what she always believed, that she did not like turbo cars and preferred the throttle response of a NA engine in the bottom part of the rev range where it is mostly used and felt. 

Enter the true Turbo!
    Then late last summer, our local dealer happened to have a 991.2 Turbo, nicely optioned, which they let us drive extensively.  I was always curious about the Turbo but never had the opportunity, in our small market, to really drive one.  The curiousity was in part fed by many here on RT who clearly respect, or own, the Turbo models, such as Whoopsy and his various turbos (now on the track!), Leawood who I recall observed that for him, the Turbo power/torque is not wasted as he uses it somewhere on almost every drive, Markus who has had numerous Turbo models, etc.   I also recall a test by Chris Harris, who made the comment that “if you are going to turbocharge the 911, THIS is how you should do it….!” 

Test driving our Turbo, we were impressed with the huge low rpm torque as expected, which gives the car somewhat of a big American V8 feel, but also how improved steering feel and precision have become, very fast PDK shifting speed which is now very close to the GT models, and overall how the constant feel of easy power produces a feeling of lightness.  Do we need AWD?  No, but I appreciate that with this level of torque, AWD is mostly a traction therefore safety aid to avoid the wilder side of say, a GT2.   We also had a shorter drive in a (year older) S model; decided that for us, the extra power is almost undetectable on our roads, and the ceramic brakes, while amazing, are not themselves worth the extra money for an S since Porsche steel brakes are just so good.    

The value argument
    On the value side, I also realized how, at least in our market, the base Turbo is very well equipped at $CDN 184k (or about EUR 122k), with full leather, RWS, higher end seats, etc.  Our dealer has had numerous Carreras with final price higher than this, simply through clients optioning up.  So if we could order a close-to-standard Turbo, the price would not really be much higher than we might have achieved by optioning a C2S with similar equipment, and the driving experience would be much different.   Why not wait for the 992 Turbo?  I don’t see a huge advantage in waiting, and possible disadvantages is the 992 Turbo is as expected larger (don’t want) and hybrid (ditto).  Put another way, the 991.2 Turbo could be “the last of the non-hybrid full Turbos”… because it is a Rennteam fact that all Porsches are the last…. of something.   

So we made the decision in October to request an allocation, for a 2019 Turbo with very few options, but also asked for a PTS slot, as I had the idea to make this car slightly an homage to a 993 Turbo, in Arena Red which of course was one of the classic 993 colours.  Wife wanted beige interior again to brighten it, and reduce heat in our hot summers, and our spec had very few options: Sport Classic wheels, LED lights, white dials, painted sill and mirrors, lane change, but importantly we did get the PTS slot and approval for “Arena Rot”.  So all in, with a small dealer discount and including film and ceramic coating, our base-spec-plus-PTS 991T came in at $CDN 207k (about EUR 137k), before taxes and before our trade-in.  The allocation was for a March build and PTS slot.

And its here! 
    Having survived the exhaustive dealer explanations process, and denied Porsche’s current and slightly off-putting insistence on every car being made into an internet device via their Connect system, the car is now with us, still not driven too much but this will follow now that we are well into summer weather conditions.  Very initial impressions are:  My god the hips look huge in the mirror!  And that off-ramp exit ended up at 130 kph speed without trying!  More to follow as ArenaRot gets into some road trips…. and yes I will be asking my dear wife to drive  the Range Rover sometimes so I can get more seat time in; we will see how successful that ploy is!  

Photos of course are not required as this is already the “last model” 911 and everyone knows what it looks like….Smiley

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Re: Our new 991: 2019 911 Turbo, Arenarot

Kidding!  

First look in the showroom on delivery day. 
    991TT-1.jpg

991TT-2.jpg

991TTb.jpg
    A few more; Arena Red changes lots in sun vs shade; in shade it takes on a more plum tone, in sun a more intense red-burgundy.... amazing colour. 
    991TT-6.jpg

991TT-5.jpg

991TT-7.jpg

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

And like Rossi's classic comparison with the original Lambo, we have a similar one with our 2019 homage vs the 1997 original!

Arena4.jpg 991TT-4.jpg

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

Pictures don't do Arena Red justice, it looks so much better in person!

And thanks for the mention. I didn't think my opinions weights that much. But you have driven it, and now owning one, you know how good the throttle response is on modern 911 Turbo cars. It really doesn't gives up much against the GT cars, if one don't quite care for the big wing or the sky high rpm and sound, which one can't quite do every day.

--

Looks absolutely amazing, 4trac, many congrats. wink

Especially I liked: indecision

because it is a Rennteam fact that all Porsches are the last…. of something.

I always liked Arena Red on a 993 and can well remember when the 993 Turbo was presented in this colour (Ferrari had a similar shade of red when they presented the new F1-gearbox in the F355). Really lovely colour and suits a 991 as well, as we can see. And thanks for the reference to my thread BTW. cool

Enjoy your new ride! wink

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Many congrats 4trac!wink  hope to some more impressions as you put some more miles on it kiss love the comparison pic with the 1997 993.

Now go and put some real miles on this one compared to that previous Racing Green 997 garage queen smiley  1531251576305amiguitos.gif

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Well thought through buying process with a great outcome. 

Beautiful!!! kiss

Looks amazing, congrats and many happy kilometres. kiss

Stunning car, congratulations and wishing you many happy journeys!

It’s the first time I truly appreciate those rims, I’d say they work well in combination with the historic reference of the paint.

kiss

Congrats, awesome car!

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2018 Mini JCW

congrats on a fine car

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Just lovely man

Congrats 4trac

Great car and great colour

I enjoyed reading your story . Your wife is a true petrol head and this car seems indeed suited to your needs .

It looks beautiful in this color . Great choice . And these rims work so well with it . Best combo for the rims I have seen .

Damm your prices are low ....... Here a base Carrera S  would cost  that price . Turbo would be much much more . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Carlos from Spain:

Many congrats 4trac!wink  hope to some more impressions as you put some more miles on it kiss love the comparison pic with the 1997 993.

Now go and put some real miles on this one compared to that previous Racing Green 997 garage queen smiley  1531251576305amiguitos.gif

SmileySmiley  Well it would help if we lived in a place where you can drive a 911 11.5 months out of the year as you do!  But we will do our best...  BC coast this summer likely.   

--

Ferdie:

Stunning car, congratulations and wishing you many happy journeys!

It’s the first time I truly appreciate those rims, I’d say they work well in combination with the historic reference of the paint.

kiss

Thanks Ferdie; yes I just thought the "standard" turbo rims we have come to expect would have mixed up the classic colour reference.  We are very pleased with how it looks!

--

Gnil:

I enjoyed reading your story . Your wife is a true petrol head and this car seems indeed suited to your needs .

It looks beautiful in this color . Great choice . And these rims work so well with it . Best combo for the rims I have seen .

Damm your prices are low ....... Here a base Carrera S  would cost  that price . Turbo would be much much more . 

Thanks Gnil.  Yes she is an enthusiastic driver, just she has little patience for the exhaustive detail you need to order a new car, especially a Porsche.... I have a better patience with all of that hence my petrolhead memory of details helps out.  Funny enough when she owned her BMW M Coupe for 8 years back in 2002, she always said "I can see you in a 911 some day...". Smiley I love the 911 too, but her lifestyle and daily activities much better suit using it as her DD; I am often off doing a bike ride (use the Range Rover to haul the bike) or doing my nature photography (again with the RR on remote gravel roads), so right now the SUV is what I need daily.  On long road trips we just change up drivers every 2 hrs. 

--

Congrats - always loved Arena Red wink

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Perfect Turbo colour, congrats kiss

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

Whoopsy:

Pictures don't do Arena Red justice, it looks so much better in person!

And thanks for the mention. I didn't think my opinions weights that much. But you have driven it, and now owning one, you know how good the throttle response is on modern 911 Turbo cars. It really doesn't gives up much against the GT cars, if one don't quite care for the big wing or the sky high rpm and sound, which one can't quite do every day.

No, your opinion is valued here Nick, we all know you call it as you see it, and that is worth a lot.  And you have always had positive things to say about the Turbos despite the constant presence of more rare and exotic hardware in your garage.  Smiley  Now I will see if the urge to own the matching 993 turbo hits me too.... Smiley

--

Congrats, great choice, beautiful and special color. 👍😎

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Best allround car 👌

4trac:
    Gnil:

Thanks Gnil.  Yes she is an enthusiastic driver, just she has little patience for the exhaustive detail you need to order a new car, especially a Porsche.... I have a better patience with all of that hence my petrolhead memory of details helps out.  Funny enough when she owned her BMW M Coupe for 8 years back in 2002, she always said "I can see you in a 911 some day...". Smiley I love the 911 too, but her lifestyle and daily activities much better suit using it as her DD; I am often off doing a bike ride (use the Range Rover to haul the bike) or doing my nature photography (again with the RR on remote gravel roads), so right now the SUV is what I need daily.  On long road trips we just change up drivers every 2 hrs. 

Nice to be so complimentary Smiley

--

Beautiful car and color 4trac and like Gnil pointed out already, the rims compliment the car very nicely. I like the side view of your car and the 993.

Are you planning to remove the stickers on the sun visors? They were an eyesore to me and I ended up removing them a few weeks after delivery.

I wish your wife and you many happy drives ahead! kiss

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS  blush

Pilot:

Are you planning to remove the stickers on the sun visors? They were an eyesore to me and I ended up removing them a few weeks after delivery.

I wish your wife and you many happy drives ahead! kiss

You know the car is still so new I didn't notice them!  Now that you mention it our old 997 had beige-matching stickers on top to " erase" them...  I thought these safety stickers were a royal pain to remove?  

--

4trac:

You know the car is still so new I didn't notice them!  Now that you mention it our old 997 had beige-matching stickers on top to " erase" them...  I thought these safety stickers were a royal pain to remove?  

I removed the onces I have on the RS . On the mirror side of the sun visor they were on hard plastic . For that , using a hair dryer to heat them up was enough . On the other side , they were glued in the alcantara . That was much more difficult . I used 99%  pure alcohol that your buy at the drugstore ( don't know the name in english ) I had to massage then for 4 or 5 minutes  with lots of that liquid and then I eventually managed to get them slowly off . The result is great . Gone with no trace . 

--

Gnil:
    ... I used 99%  pure alcohol that your buy at the drugstore ( don't know the name in english ) I had to massage then for 4 or 5 minutes  with lots of that liquid and then I eventually managed to get them slowly off . The result is great . Gone with no trace . 

... yet in another thread you tell us that you didn't touch any alcohol in 24 years...  emoticon_no.gif  Smiley

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost:
    Gnil:
    ... I used 99%  pure alcohol that your buy at the drugstore ( don't know the name in english ) I had to massage then for 4 or 5 minutes  with lots of that liquid and then I eventually managed to get them slowly off . The result is great . Gone with no trace . 

... yet in another thread you tell us that you didn't touch any alcohol in 24 years...  emoticon_no.gif  Smiley

Ha! That was obviously alcohol in a good cause.... thank for the tip Gnil; will have to see if we feel badly enough about the stickers to attack our new car so soon...Smiley

--

4trac:
    Joost:
    Gnil:

He is still in the denial phase......

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802955 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448475 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266000 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90001 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6491 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885532 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832821 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM