Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

2.1 m of width, mm will be diffcult to park

Mithras:

This is the first McLaren that really resonates with me. Love it. 

Same here.

Now that’s a good looking car ! Very Chic!!

Rossi:

Hmm, the launch colour is "interesting", carefully worded.

That color is everywhere !! Especially with British brands. 

Not a fan but I gotta say it looked nice on the Aston DB11.

I think the GT is a car for 60+ - so I will wait for some model updates indecision

--

AM

Not a fan of how it looks (I think it beats the 720S in "weirdness" angry and yes, it looks a tiny bit generic) but the power output is nice, the interior is nice, the weight is OK (for a McLaren) and the price tag in Germany (198k EUR) is more than OK. I wonder how Porsche is going to "match" this with their new 992 Turbo S...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I like this McLaren more than the 570GT which was my favourite.

I like the McLaren styling more than the Italian brands which are increasingly looking more and more busy and sci-fi-spaceship-like.

IMO McLaren is the new Porsche for those lucky to afford their cars. Or rather McLaren cars are what Porsche should be producing had VW not been tempted to milk the once iconic brand.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

reginos:

I like this McLaren more than the 570GT which was my favourite.

I like the McLaren styling more than the Italian brands which are increasingly looking more and more busy and sci-fi-spaceship-like.

Starting with the 812 Superfast and the F8 Tributo, Ferrari entered a pretty weird design era...for a company like Ferrari. Smiley Lamborghini? I like everything but not so much the new Huracán Evo. The rear looks weird, you need to see it live to understand. I am very concerned that Lamborghini is going to start to play with design elements as well, making their cars look too busy (best example: F8 Tributo). Maserati? They almost look like Japanese cars lately, not my cup of tea, sorry. Alfa Romeo has an interesting design language, very recognizable but I think they need to shrink the size of their front and tail lights.

Design-wise, I like the 600LT most right now if I had to choose a McLaren. The 720S looks a bit weird, even if I got used to the design. I still like the 675LT but also the 570S. The 650S was OK, the 12C a bit too "F1 had a love child with a modern car".

IMO McLaren is the new Porsche for those lucky to afford their cars. Or rather McLaren cars are what Porsche should be producing had VW not been tempted to milk the once iconic brand.

Actually not a bad analogy at all...Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

Not a fan of how it looks (I think it beats the 720S in "weirdness" angry and yes, it looks a tiny bit generic) but the power output is nice, the interior is nice, the weight is OK (for a McLaren) and the price tag in Germany (198k EUR) is more than OK. I wonder how Porsche is going to "match" this with their new 992 Turbo S...

The 992 turbo s will not be a competitor in terms of performance. turbo s be close to 720s based on my feeling...

MKSGR:
    RC:

The 992 turbo s will not be a competitor in terms of performance. turbo s be close to 720s based on my feeling...

The 992tts will be significantly heavier than the McLaren GT, not to mention the 720s. How much hp is expected in the 992tts? On a power to weight basis I expect it will be a closer competitor to the GT than the 720s. The tts has also steadily moved toward the grand touring side of the spectrum (like the McLaren GT), with the GT3RS and GT2RS being more sporty (720s).

trip:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

The 992tts will be significantly heavier than the McLaren GT, not to mention the 720s. How much hp is expected in the 992tts? On a power to weight basis I expect it will be a closer competitor to the GT than the 720s. The tts has also steadily moved toward the grand touring side of the spectrum (like the McLaren GT), with the GT3RS and GT2RS being more sporty (720s).

Effective power delivered, 4WD, new gear box and new setup with wider front and most recent tires. The turbo s will be very close to 720s - not comparable to this GT model... I am taking bets as I am very sure :-)

MKSGR:
    trip:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

Effective power delivered, 4WD, new gear box and new setup with wider front and most recent tires. The turbo s will be very close to 720s - not comparable to this GT model... I am taking bets as I am very sure :-)

Who cares Smiley - the people buying McLaren don't even take a serious look at Porsche cars - regardless if it has AWD or is faster from 0-100 km/h. There are so many changing from Porsche to McLaren never heard someone changes from McLaren to Porsche. Maybe McLaren is too young for that changes but only maybe.

--

AM

MKSGR:
    RC:

The GT2 RS can't deal with the 720S in straight line acceleration, so you really think the 992 Turbo S will be better? Smiley From 0-100 kph, I am pretty sure the new 992 Turbo S will beat anything on the road but 0-200 or 0-300 kph? Not so sure...yet.

--

ALDO:
    MKSGR:
    trip:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

Who cares Smiley - the people buying McLaren don't even take a serious look at Porsche cars - regardless if it has AWD or is faster from 0-100 km/h. There are so many changing from Porsche to McLaren never heard someone changes from McLaren to Porsche. Maybe McLaren is too young for that changes but only maybe.

the people buying McLaren don't even take a serious look at Porsche cars ANYMORE...

Here...I corrected it for you. Smiley

Porsche lacks a proper "supercar". The GT2 RS is a RWD Turbo S with GT3 RS chassis and body on steroids. Porsche needs a "960" and they know it. Question is: Will it come or not?! Smiley

--

RC:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

The GT2 RS can't deal with the 720S in straight line acceleration, so you really think the 992 Turbo S will be better? Smiley From 0-100 kph, I am pretty sure the new 992 Turbo S will beat anything on the road but 0-200 or 0-300 kph? Not so sure...yet.

0-300 will be a bit slower - but the rest of the performance... turbo s will be very fast Smiley

RC:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

Even Sportauto tested and found the 720s easier and faster on Hockenheim than GT2RS.

In my GT3RS my wife didn`t like to drive with me. It was just hard and loud. Driving in the city wasn`t fun at all. Driving in the Black Forrest was very funny. 

Now with my 720s, we could go to a fine Michelin star Restaurants with a suit and the next day I could drive it on the race course.

--

AM

I know it is too much to ask but a 960 with a flat 8 would be something special....

4x4 = 12 month driving pleasure in Europe

ALDO:

Now with my 720s, we could go to a fine Michelin star Restaurants with a suit and the next day I could drive it on the race course.

One problem for real live use is: you cannot go to a customer (unless you are in the restaurant business or similar...) in a McLaren. That's where one needs a Porsche... Also, as mentioned below, the Porsche is perfect for 12 months a year. Also, you have a top-level navigation, phone etc. The car is just perfection - and super fast. You see, there is no substitute Smiley

Also in Portugal, where there is some envy for the healthy people, any Porsche is totally acceptable..people admire and say rude things...not exactly the same about Lambo, Ferrari, AM, Bentley!

ALDO:
    RC:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

Even Sportauto tested and found the 720s easier and faster on Hockenheim than GT2RS.

In my GT3RS my wife didn`t like to drive with me. It was just hard and loud. Driving in the city wasn`t fun at all. Driving in the Black Forrest was very funny. 

Thank god I neither go to a fine Michelin star restaurant nor do I wear a suit. So I'm good with my Performante. Smiley Smiley

I get your point though but any two seater sports car isn't really suitable as a daily driver, with the exception of the Boxster, Audi TT, etc. or even R8...maybe. Even the Mercedes AMG GT seems to be an issue as a daily driver, a friend has one and says it is a pain in the ass to drive it through the city.

After my year-long search for a holy grail (do it all) in the sports car segment, I came to realize that you need to have at least two cars to be happy. Perfect would actually be four (sportscar, family car, cabriolet and off-roader).

I like the 720S a lot, I think that it is a very good car for the money McLaren asks (if you don't go crazy with the options), I think it is a very fast car for the Autobahn and even for the track but the traction issues in the sub-200 kph speed range and the fact that I probably couldn't use it in winter time (I love to drive my cars all year around, I know it is crazy to drive to skiing in a sportscar but I'm not the only one who does that) put me off.

My wife is actually fascinated by the noise the Performante produces but I doubt we would drive to dinner in this car. This noise however is friggin' mesmerizing, every single person who sat in this car didn't want the drive to end, incl. my best friend who is 60 and who drives a BMW X2 and enjoys 120 kph on the Autobahn. Smiley He couldn't even believe that such a car exists, he just lives in a different world (his priorities are his work, tennis and his family, he never cared about fast cars).

I also think that Porsche should be ashamed when they look at the 720S: This is what many Porsche drivers actually always wanted, a mid engined, light weight, powerful fun toy with a more catchy design. I get it, the 911 is an icon but it is time to add something new. The 918 was/is amazing, they could have started here (design-wise) but what happened? Smiley I am not surprised that many former Porsche addicts switched to different brands like McLaren, Lamborghini or even Ferrari. Actually, basically all my friends (with two exceptions) switched to different brands. They got bored. I really tried hard to make it work with the 911 but at some point, you just have enough. Especially after 13 cars...or was it 15, of which at least 9 were 911?! Smiley

The new McLaren GT will give Porsche a hard time. If they'd have made this car AWD, oh boy...who knows, maybe. Smiley

--

996FourEss:

I know it is too much to ask but a 960 with a flat 8 would be something special....

Yes, yes...the only reason I jumped the R8 train was the lack of the 960 and the fact that a friend told me it isn't coming any time soon. Smiley Thank god I didn't listen to the person who told me it got the green light and I should be patient. The emissions scandal seems to have put a permanent lid on the 960 but maybe, maybe...who knows...with the next Aventador/Huracan generation, we could see a 960. The question is: Will I like it? It will definitely be a hybrid of some sorts and the sound...well...I can only guess but I guess I won't be happy. Smiley

--

Let’s not forget how bland and boring the interior of the 991 was, and the 992 only moves the needle slightly with the silly buttons and the shaver stick. In a $200k 992 TTS you still have the interior of a $70k car, and all that on top of poor or bad exhaust noise on some models.

SciFrog:

Let’s not forget how bland and boring the interior of the 991 was, and the 992 only moves the needle slightly with the silly buttons and the shaver stick. In a $200k 992 TTS you still have the interior of a $70k car, and all that on top of poor or bad exhaust noise on some models.

I still like it - and the functionality/features are high-end Smiley

RC:

After my year-long search for a holy grail (do it all) in the sports car segment, I came to realize that you need to have at least two cars to be happy. Perfect would actually be four (sportscar, family car, cabriolet and off-roader).

Precisely-  nothing ticks all the boxes and nor should it. However, the thing that comes closet is a 911.

crayphile:

Precisely-  nothing ticks all the boxes and nor should it. However, the thing that comes closet is a 911.

and that is coming from a collector which owns like a ton of super exclusive cars. Smiley I feel proud of my small GT3 Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    crayphile:

and that is coming from a collector which owns like a ton of super exclusive cars. Smiley I feel proud of my small GT3 Smiley

Sorry, the GT3 does not count  - it only has two seats SmileySmiley.

The 911 had everything to be the perfect sport car and I was very proud and content to own one over a decade ago. It was just perfect: convertible, AWD, 4 seats, sporty, well designed, unique and fun (red/tan), manual, fast and noisy and fulfilling a lot of emotions, good tech and nav, and on top of it it was a fantastic value (cheap MRSP and awesome residual values). It also had good hp. It was unbeatable.

Fast forward to today, a 911 GTS is boring, sounds like a vacuum cleaner or no noise at all, tech is behind the most advanced ones, design is at best boring and at most ugly with the black bar in the rear or completely unoriginal, rear seats are no bigger than before despite the car becoming large and fat and the prices have become astronomical with terrible residual values. HP is far behind the competition that has moved further with things like carbon tubs and such. The emotion and coolness part has moved to the GTx line with a big increase in number of car produced and a much more docile vehicles and some remnant of perceived value because of high demand from speculators.

So indeed, there are no more 911 that ticks the boxes and many even here are looking elsewhere.

Porsche is dong fine because the world is now much richer and we have enjoyed a 10 year golden economic era, and because the bean counters and marketing is doing an amazing job.

Fast forward to today, a 911 GTS is boring, sounds like a vacuum cleaner or no noise at all, tech is behind the most advanced ones, design is at best boring and at most ugly with the black bar in the rear or completely unoriginal, rear seats are no bigger than before despite the car becoming large and fat and the prices have become astronomical with terrible residual values. HP is far behind the competition that has moved further with things like carbon tubs and such. The emotion and coolness part has moved to the GTx line with a big increase in number of car produced and a much more docile vehicles and some remnant of perceived value because of high demand from speculators.

68993469-0195-4EA5-9871-22CCBA885133.jpeg

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

SciFrog:

Fast forward to today, a 911 GTS is boring,

I guess compared to a 2.5ton 7-seater minivan on autopilot which has you so excited lately a 911 might seem boring now indecision but just out of curiosity, when is the last time you drove a 911? and I mean drove, as in a mountain road or track and not on an LA highway?

Porsche is dong fine because the world is now much richer and we have enjoyed a 10 year golden economic era, and because the bean counters and marketing is doing an amazing job.

The sooner you realise to yourself Porsche is not only doing fine because of how good their cars are to a lot of people (maybe not you and not everybody of course) and not some marketing campaign, the sooner you will understand Porsche's current pricing, which I agree is getting to high, but that is how supply and demand works.

The 911 is not the best at everything, there are sportscars that are better at something or other (sound, exclusivity, looks, acceleration, infotainment, etc) and if that specific aspect is what you are looking for, then the 911 is not the best for you, but the 911 is the best allrounder package and with some unique qualities and emphasis on driving feel and realworld performance and reliability. That is why it is so successful and each gen more than the previous.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

The 911 is not the best at everything, there are sportscars that are better at something or other (sound, exclusivity, looks, acceleration, infotainment, etc) and if that specific aspect is what you are looking for, then the 911 is not the best for you, but the 911 is the best allrounder package and with some unique qualities and emphasis on driving feel and realworld performance and reliability. That is why it is so successful and each gen more than the previous.

100% spot on Smiley

There is not a single car on this planet that can compete with a 911 as an overall package. Simple fact. Best all day sports car you can buy. I will beet most other cars most of the time.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759300 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433597 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259683 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256818 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80533 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870572 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805511 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM