Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

World Premiere: Exclusive new edition of the Porsche 935...

I can see those 77 cars become a future classic... fantastic cars! (And so rare that apparently not even Nick could get one).

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

VAILLANT 

The private motor racing team – Team Kremer – were aiming in particular at aerodynamic improvements of the 935 works version from 1977. Racing pilot Bob Wollek claimed victory in a baptism of fire at the Nürburgring, which brought the sponsor and heating manufacturer Vaillant international prominence. Green Hell is an apt description for both the legendary race track and this 935.

Smiley

Just sent this article to a former business associate since his racing team is one of portrayed liveries.  Last time I had seen him, he moved away from Porsche and was driving a Hennesey tuned Nissan GT-R.  

Interscope. Or quite honestly the photoshop stripe of all really works for me. Like a Paul Smith race car of histrorical liveries. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:

Or quite honestly the photoshop stripe of all really works for me. Like a Paul Smith race car of histrorical liveries. 

For that one you will have to get '' special 50k PTS '' Smiley 

I agree . Would also be my choice if possible . PS ' s 911 looks very good Smiley

I' ll bet we will see one .......

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Porsche custom liveries for the new 935... (more pics!) Smiley

The 935 livery overview:

GULF

John Wyer was undoubtedly one of the most successful motor racing team managers. With financial support from Gulf Oil, Wyer secured victory for Porsche with the 917 in the 1970 and 1971 World Sportscar Championship. Even today, many fans still remember the striking blue colour.

MOMO

One pilot in particular – Gianpiero Moretti – drove a red 935 of Momo Racing into the history books of motor racing. Whether in Group 5 during the 1,000 kilometre race in Spa, Watkins Glen or Silverstone – this 935 caught everyone's attention.

SACHS

The most important 935 model from sponsorship with Sachs, had the number 70. Dick Barbour secured this model shortly before the start of the 24 Hour of Le Mans from Team Kremer Racing, and together with Brian Redman and John Fitzpatrick, managed to fight their way into the lead until heavy rain put an end to their plans. However, Sachs sponsorship continued and, in 1980 for example, Dick Barbour drove another 935 to victory in the 12 Hours of Sebring.

VAILLANT

The private motor racing team – Team Kremer – were aiming in particular at aerodynamic improvements of the 935 works version from 1977. Racing pilot Bob Wollek claimed victory in a baptism of fire at the Nürburgring, which brought the sponsor and heating manufacturer Vaillant international prominence. Green Hell is an apt description for both the legendary race track and this 935.

SALZBURG

In 1970, the world was amazed as a small closely knit team from Austria won the 24 Hours of Le Mans. It was the beginning of the super race car Porsche 917, which not only blew the competition away, but also their own pilots.

INTERSCOPE

Bob Garretson and Brian Redman teamed up in a Porsche 935 to win first place in the 1981 24 Hours of Daytona. The sleek black look endured for many more years of successful racing.

John Player Special (JPS)

Another example of the dominant private customer racing team – Team Kremer Racing, from Cologne, North-Rhine Westphalia – is the Porsche 935 in the striking black and gold colour combination, which originated from cooperation with John Player Special. This 935 version left its mark, particularly in Group 5.

Link:  https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2019/products/porsche-935-livery-design-limited-number-17597.html

Smiley Smiley Smiley 

Porsche 935 at Goodwood...

1562261284258image.jpeg

Smiley

here's the live feed, where you can rewind to see it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5RuJ1k82zU

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Exclusive: reborn Porsche 935 driven at Goodwood...

We take the 690bhp reborn race car up the famous hill at the Goodwood Festival of Speed...

1562268004005image.jpeg

(4 July 2019)

- by Andrew Frankel (Autocar)

There was more than one reason I turned off the stability systems as I sat on the start line of the Goodwood Festival of Speedhillclimb, the first hack in the world to drive the new 690bhp 935.

One was obvious: appalling show-off that I can be, I wanted to leave the line with as much smoke, wheelspin and drama as I possibly could. But what it also meant was that the car would accelerate far more slowly than had I allowed its massive Michelin slicks to bite into the asphalt, which then meant I’d feel less like a shell shot from a field gun.

Even so, when I tugged a lever, hit second gear and the tyres gripped, the acceleration was still sufficient to make me feel giddy all the way to the first corner. It also meant that when I arrived at said corner my rear tyres were bubbling with warmth, while those at the front were stone cold.

Someone far wiser than me once said that at Goodwood more than anywhere else, you drive on the wrong side of the risk-to-reward ratio. The only run anyone will ever remember is the one where you use a carbonfibre supercar to batter your way through eight consecutive rows of straw bales. So I did what I always do here and drove as fast as I possibly could without taking a risk.

And the 935 was mighty. In fact it was epic. I’ve driven plenty up this hill over the years, but few that had me cackling quite so insanely at it blasted over the finish line. I avoided the temptation to spin turn it at the top, parked up and sat silently contemplating what on earth I can bring you by way of driving impressions when the subject of my report was a car I’d driven in anger for less than a single minute.

Well I can tell you this. I understand entirely why a fellow writer suggested all I needed to do was cut and paste my GT2 RS impressions, and I might have feared as much myself before I saddled up. But no: the powertrain might be the same save its exhausts, some gearbox software and traction control re-programming, but with race suspension, race tyres, a gutted interior and a race car dashboard, its feel is completely different.

instance, quite grumpy at low speeds. First gear engages with a bit of a shudder and as you proceed down to the start, it fidgets and rattles over the bumps. It feels like there is no rubber in its suspension at all and I am sure there is not. Digital data dances in front of you, a pox of buttons has erupted on the sawn-off steering wheel. Everywhere you look there is raw carbonfibre. This is all as it should be.

It’s way quicker than a GT2 RS too, because of the suspension, tyres and downforce, even though the long-tail bodywork, intricate roll cage and other safety features means it’s not actually much lighter. There is no official Nürburgring lap time, but the unofficial one is in the 6min 30sec bracket. Imagine that! Up the top of the hill as the speed rose it provided that feeling of directness and precision that only cars generating significant aerodynamic grip can muster.

Some people have been quite dismissive of this car, because it can’t be driven on the road and is not homologated for any race series. I’ve heard it be called cynical too and I guess if creating a car your customers want to buy is cynical then that’s true, but you can say the same of a Ford Fiesta.

To me, I love the way it looks and I love the way it drives. I am green with envy at the thought of the 77 people lucky and rich enough to be offered one and be able to buy it. Even at around £750,000, the car was 10 times oversubscribed. I don’t choose to analyse it any further than that. Truth is the 935 afforded me one of my very best minutes of 2019, and that’s good enough for me.

1562268020305image.jpeg

Link:  https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-goodwood-festival-speed/exclusive-reborn-porsche-935-driven-goodwood

Smiley

Porsche 935 driven up the hill at Goodwood... (video)

1562275099546image.jpeg

Video Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u1Lch0Q-Sc

Smiley

kiss

Porsche 935 review: £750k track-racer tested... (Top Gear magazine)

-- Top Gear article by Tom Ford (5 August 2019)

What IS that? 

This is the new Porsche 935, a ‘single-seater, near-standard, non-homologated racing car’ according to Porsche. But more prosaically, it’s a 911 GT2 RS-based, 77-car track toy that pays homage to the monster 911 endurance racer from 1978 - the one they called ‘Moby Dick’. Basically a re-bodied GT2 RS ClubSport. With extra bits. Quite a few extra bits. And we got to drive it as hard as we wanted to, even though it was all a bit intimidating. But more of that in a minute. 

Explain. Does this require a history lesson? I can feel a history lesson coming on… 

Maybe a short one. I’ll do the bluffer’s guide potted version. If you’ve ever even mildly delved into either Porsche history or retro endurance racing, you’ll probably have come across the original Porsche 935s, simply because they were so wild.

It started way back in 1976, when Porsche went hunting at Le Mans with a modified 911 3.0-litre Turbo called 935, winning every time it started between ’76 and 1981, even clinching overall victory in ’79. With fancy lightweight, slant-nosed, wide-arched, double-bewinged GRP aero and 600bhp, the original 935s actually famously needed 70kg of lead adding to their structures to reach minimum race weight of 970kg, and they still dominated, cutting swathes through the contemporary competition. But it wasn’t until 1978 that the one called ‘Moby Dick’ appeared. With its bloated white bodywork and cartoonish lines, you can see why it may have been dubbed the white whale. It turned out to be the one that everyone remembered (probably because of the nickname) but it wasn’t the most successful of 935s, only coming eighth in its one appearance at Le Mans. It was, however, the most powerful production 911 ever, punching out 845bhp from a twin-turbo (previous cars were single blower) 3.2 flat six in shorter races, some 700bhp in endurance trim. The legend reimagined by this new 935 - still some 145bhp short of the original car. 

So this is built for Le Mans? 

No. Well, sort of. It could race at Le Mans, but the modern 935 hasn’t been homologated for a particular series, so the designers have had a bit more freedom to express themselves. It’s basically a fully aero’d up version of a GT2 RS (991.2 for those who need to know the Stuttgart decimals), clothed in aluminium, carbon and Kevlar bodywork - it weighs within 10kg of a GT2 RS, despite being quite a lot bigger. It’s a smidge under five metres long (4.87), and properly wide at over two metres (2.03), with extended bodywork like its grandad. There’s also a bonkers rear wing that’s 1.9-metres across and as thick as your forearm, with LED lights on endplates like small car doors. In fact, they’re endplates from the 919 Hybrid LMP1 car. Similarly, the wing mirrors are nicked from the Le Mans-winning 911 RSR, the fan-style aero wheel rims a nod to the original 935/78, the gatling-gun, centre-exit, titanium twin exhausts harking back to the Porsche 908 from 1968. Even the shift knob for the PDK ‘box is lightweight laminated wood, just like hardcore Porsches of old, like the 917, Carrera GT and Bergspyder. It can race in all sorts of series’, it just isn’t homologated for any one particular championship. Think of it as one of the ultimate Gentleman Racer cars, for those that like a bit of swoop to their style, while still having the guts to put the wind up the front-runners. 

Is it all style and no substance then? 

Nope, not at all, and no. Porsche does not take these things lightly, and the 700bhp/553lb ft GT2 RS is not exactly a wet weekend in the first place. The 935 adds that aluminium/steel composite body with lots of kevlar and carbonfibre, a full racing interior, FIA ‘cage, seat, harness, fire extinguisher system, air jack, 115-litre fuel cell, racing limited slip diff, removable escape hatch, dual brake circuits, racing brakes and a full suspension re-think optimised for running slick tyres. This is not a poseur. Or at least not one without some hardware to back up the show. It’s also got all the usual traction controls, stability programmes and full air-con - so it’s not a knuckledragger. 

So what’s it like to drive? 

Bluntly? Dead easy actually. I know that sounds daft, but to actually drive this car about, it’s no more difficult than a 911. It’s a seven-speed PDK, so apart from some epic blindspots from the full race seat and racecar bodywork, it’s a peach. The engine is tractable and lumpless, the car light and responsive. Yes, there are a lot of buttons and the cut-down carbon steering wheel is a bit intimidating, but once past that, it’s just like a roadcar. Ish. You’d have trouble reverse parking with a six-point race harness and full HANS neck restraint on anyway… 

Focus… 

But I digress. It’s worth noting here that we were invited to drive the 935 on the Lausitzring in Germany, and to do so had to provide full race kit and driver capable enough. With everyone else busy, they sent me. Unfortunately I mistakenly packed performance thermals instead of fireproof underwear, so ended up strapped into the 935 wearing full hot weather thermal undercrackers under a mouldy old race suit I had from when I was about six stone heavier. It was 30-degrees, and I was literally basting in my own juices. Sub-optimal.

Without any experience of the circuit, the first couple of laps were cautious, my excuse being that I needed to ‘get some heat into the tyres’ - which is not an outright lie. The 935 was tight, bright and on-point, reacting to steering inputs with the kind of point/shoot precision that makes roadcars feel like their steering racks are constructed entirely of candyfloss and spit. The motor is reliably mighty, the PDK snappy and regular.

The whole dynamic story comes later, however. Because if you think that you’ve experienced downforce but weren’t entirely sure, then you haven’t. It is entirely unmistakable. Once up to some sort of speed, the way that the slicks and aero on the 935 conspire is literally breathtaking. Turning in at speeds at which - in a roadcar of any supercar stripe - you would very definitely crash, only to have the car arc around the apex like a mag-lev train, requires… re-calibration. It took me a few laps to trust it, but once somewhat acclimatised, the 935 was being flung into corners at speeds I wouldn’t have thought possible.

Leg press the concrete-solid brakes - literally stamp on them, the only way to get them to do anything significant - marvel at the regularity of the retardation, and turn in at least 50mph faster than you think. Bleed the brakes off as you turn into the apex, start driving out of the corner, lean on the grip (both aero and mechanical), before winding out some 700bhp for the next straight bit. Addictive? It’s like automotive crack. I learned three things: proper aero-equipped racing cars on slicks hurt your neck eventually, don’t wear thermal underwear under a racesuit when its hot, and aero doesn’t work in hairpins. Oh, and a fourth - accidentally provoking oversteer with the traction control off in a 935 with 700bhp, on a hairpin, when the steering wheel isn’t circular, is something of a precious, desperate moment. 

There is a slight feeling that you enjoyed this? 

I’m not a track day kind of person. I harbour precisely no dreams of being a racing driver. But by crikey, the 935 is a good laugh. Even ‘competing’ against yourself to stitch a decent lap together is challenge enough. At 701,948 Euros plus country-specific taxes, it’s not a cheap hobby (particularly in the context of actually competing the car in ‘proper’ racing), but there’s no more transformative convert than a sceptic. And the 935 has changed me. 

Specifications 

Engine: 3,800cc twin-turbo flat six petrol
    Power: 700bhp @ 7,000rpm, 553lb ft @ 2,500 - 4,500rpm
    Economy: 19.9mpg (combined), 269g/km (approx)
    Performance: 0-62 mph in 2.7 seconds, 211mph (approx) max
    Weight: 1,380kg

Link:  https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/935/first-drive

Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688294 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408611 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255489 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234721 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65350 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857486 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773219 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM