Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 Speedster

Grant:

I think that might be a photoshop mistake - don't think the Speedster will have that control in reality

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

It could be part of the Chrono package...not sure, haven't checked on the Speedster too much.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Oh, I heard that Porsche built over 3000 (rumor is even 3500) GT2 RS. Just saying.

I said that already. Few months ago 😁

for the SVJ, put it at proper price and it will move. 

I just got informed that 6 performante at available at the dealer here...

rare is only when you believe it. 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

Oh, I heard that Porsche built over 3000 (rumor is even 3500) GT2 RS. Just saying.

I said that already. Few months ago 😁

for the SVJ, put it at proper price and it will move. 

I just got informed that 6 performante at available at the dealer here...

rare is only when you believe it. 

Compared to the SVJ, the Performante is rare Smiley (rumored 1300 cars total) but the Performante isn't/wasn't selling because McLaren came up with the 720S/600LT, Ferrari with the Pista and Porsche with the GT2 RS. People want power, they are easily impressed with power figures. Prices of all these cars are in a similar ballpark, at least in Europe, so...

Only slightly over 200 Performante made it to the UK, so... There was a big hype about the Performante there but it faded fast. The 720S was the new road king.

Also, many think that the new Evo is the Performante successor because it has the same power and engine. I guess some people want to wait for the Evo to make sure they make the right choice but the Performante is gone, only available used (and maybe in some very rare cases new).

Can't say much about the Middle East though...

My luck, I got my Performante at a nice discount...brandnew. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Carlos from Spain:

The dial is not turbo related since it is just to change driving programs, save the boost button in the middle, so the is a chance they decided to  in add it to the speedster as well?

Here is a photo of a car with Chrono package and no dial (from Gallery on Speedster mini-site on Porsche.com):

speedster.PNG

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I think this will be a phenomenal car, but the 1948 production is high for a "limited" series car.  

JR-550:

Looking at this picture makes me sad. As a loyal Porsche customer, buying Porsches for 20 years, it was impossible for me to get one. Asked to put my on the list already 2 years ago, no chance. Have on order a Taycan and a 992 Turbo cab, just bought a Cayenne S does not interest Porsche. What really irritated me (to put it mildly) when I asked the question to get me on the list I was ridiculed a bit. So, looking at the present (boring) 992, I might cancel the 922 Turbo order.

I know how you feel. This is what happened to me with the GT3 RS. They been very rude and laughed off me. In the end, apparently, the brother of the manager of my local store got his GT3 RS (needless to say he never drove a Porsche in his life before). This was the end for me with Porsche!

Since that, I'm sad with every single limited car I see. I don't even try anymore. Well - I tried also to get the AMG Project one, but failed on that one, too. At least I understood that with less than 20 cars for the German market I have kind of an understanding for it. And - Mercedes at least considered my application seriously, left me in the circle for a long time. And also they made me a Mercedes VIP Circle client. Fair enough. I still feel like a valued customer. 

Nevertheless - my next daily driver is due. A choice would be a Panamera Sport Tourismo or Cayenne, but I'm not sure if I can jump over my shadow and see those arrogant sales staff again!

RC:
    SciFrog:

These limited production runs are ridiculous. They should build enough to satisfy demand. Ferrari should do the same too.

It can backfire as well. SVJ...not sure it sells that good in Germany, I heard that some customers jumped off once the car was "available". Not easy to sell 1700 cars (Coupe and Roadster) at half a million EUR. Smiley

I think car manufacturers create this hype for a reason...not always but often.

I hate those silly limited edition games. Smiley

It‘s those special editions, which in fact aren‘t that special in reality, but which offer a bit of that certain something for the true car enthusiast. But at the same time, these aficiandos often don‘t get the chance to buy these cars, because most cars are already spoken for. I think that is ridiculous. In bad times, like Porsche and Ferrari in the early nineties they were happy and thankful for every die-hard customer. Now they seem to give a damn.

When it comes to Lamborghini, I think they still don‘t have the reputation of Porsche or Ferrari. And sometimes they are just too extreme for the ordinary car collector. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Mike S:

I think this will be a phenomenal car, but the 1948 production is high for a "limited" series car.  

You say that because you have access to all the limited products. Good to share Smiley

Same thing here with the GT3 RS. A few weeks back the dealer had 2 brand new ones with Weissach pack at list price.. At the same time the flipper dealers in Dubai are trying to offload their stock at a premium Smiley

tso:

Same thing here with the GT3 RS. A few weeks back the dealer had 2 brand new ones with Weissach pack at list price.. At the same time the flipper dealers in Dubai are trying to offload their stock at a premium Smiley

All I know is that, if I really wanted, I could get a SVJ Coupe here in Germany without any problems, Roadster could be a bit more challenging. Without a premium. A few months ago, this would have been impossible. I heard that once a production slot is available and they offer it to a customer on the list, the customers often decline. Smiley This is a half mil EUR car, so I get it, not always easy to spend so much money on a car, unless you can afford it and absolutely want it. This doesn't meant the SVJ isn't in high demand and it is of course a fantastic car but I think the price tag is a bit too high for a 1700 (Coupe and Roadster) production run.

--

As it stands as a production version, it is quite nice, but the initial prototype was better. Maybe not be as practical nor user friendly and not as sellable though.

1948 is still a great number of 'limited' cars. I suspect a great portions of 'deposits' at many dealers are from speculators. 

--

I have difficulty justifying anyone buying this car. Tim getting the car at MSRP is the best argument to buy one. But paying an ADM is at least to me insane. Comparing performance with the GT3, the Speedster is far behind. The top is manual as is the transmission. Yet, Porsche in its wisdom has the balls to charge $275,000 for the bare car and yes they will get it.

To some people $275,000 is a drop in the bucket and wouldn't be missed. Porsche knows this and all they had to do is put a limited production label on it to rope these people in. 

My question is this. If Porsche made this car available to whoever wants one, given what the car offers is it worth $275,000? 

--

There is nothing stronger than gentleness.

Porsche 911 Speedster video footage...  1552170150971image.gif

Video Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTO-x-pTrg0

Smiley

$275k and unless I pay an extra $25k I can only get black interior (and then I can only get silver exterior). That's what's wrong with Porsche. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

That’s called nickel and diming. $300k+ for a manual car in 2019 is a hard pill to swallow. Surely it is a great car though, since many have been begging for something like that for two decades. The real issue is that if Porsche produces a GT3 touring convertible with rear seats and PDK, resale value could plummet.

SciFrog:

That’s called nickel and diming. $300k+ for a manual car in 2019 is a hard pill to swallow.

You are quite correct. The profit margin one this batch is quite something. Porsche only spent money developing the new exhaust and intake.

--

But to be honest I would rather it be this way than a MSRP too low and a huge waiting list full of speculators.

SciFrog:

But to be honest I would rather it be this way than a MSRP too low and a huge waiting list full of speculators.

speculators are still there, none of them are available in UAE...strangely angry

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

I think it is better to wait for the new 718 Spyder  

I find the bashing on the price interesting - people here are willing to loose a arm and a leg on a Cayenne, Panamera normal 911's heck even GT3's - but the LP of a speedster who historically has kept it's value is to expensive ??

If it is too expensive of not is going to depend on how it holds its value like BjoernB said.

But the that Porsche can sell this car at this price is a testament to Porsche's 911, and 2000 of them, and the fact that it will likely hold its value even more so.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Holding value depends greatly on condition and low mileage, i.e. non-use.  So the purpose of the car, the pleasure of driving, becomes lost in the pursuit of value retention. The logic of the limited production collector car is entirely lost upon me.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

DaveC:

Holding value depends greatly on condition and low mileage, i.e. non-use.  So the purpose of the car, the pleasure of driving, becomes lost in the pursuit of value retention. The logic of the limited production collector car is entirely lost upon me.

Very true. People buy Speciale Aperta, La Ferrari, 918, etc. and drive them, maybe up to 5000 km in a couple of years, so the cars loose little value. So where's the pleasure in that? I already put this weekend 1200 km on my Performante, I plan to put 1300 km more next weekend, so the car is finally run in. I will drive it at least 30000, maybe 40000 km over the next couple of years, I don't care about the value. If it goes up, great. If not, so what? In these coming years, I am pretty sure I am going to have the time of my life. Smiley Smiley

--

Some people just don’t have the opportunity to drive that much outside of commuting...

SciFrog:

Some people just don’t have the opportunity to drive that much outside of commuting...

Many don't want to because they are afraid of depreciating the value of the car. 

During the week, I have basically no time (or desire) to drive the car, I am just tired when I get home and want to spend time with my family. Smiley  Weekends? Different story. I drive as much as I can.

There was a Lambo event on the Red Bull Ring this weekend but I couldn't attend because of my mother (she is OK now). There will be always some sort of event or driving, so doing 5000-8000 km a year is a piece of cake in such a car.

--

DaveC:

This is very true ! All these cars only hold their values if they are not driven . A few years back that was not the case with Porsche , but as now there are more ' limited ' editions and  loads of GT's , they only keep good value if not driven , or max 5'000 km . 

It gets nearly impossible now to enjoy correctly a limited edition car , unless you decide from the beginning that you don't want any money back from the car . 

I drove my RS last summer / fall  7'500 km . I will put at least as much this season , probably more . I like to drive my car to and form the tracks . It is part of the fun en enjoyment for me . I know many guys who put their cars on a truck to get them to the track as they do not want to put too many miles on them .  Nice to have a car that looks low milage , but then it is 5'000 km of tack only !!!!

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    DaveC:

This is very true ! All these cars only hold their values if they are not driven . A few years back that was not the case with Porsche , but as now there are more ' limited ' editions and  loads of GT's , they only keep good value if not driven , or max 5'000 km . 

It gets nearly impossible now to enjoy correctly a limited edition car , unless you decide from the beginning that you don't want any money back from the car . 

I drove my RS last summer / fall  7'500 km . I will put at least as much this season , probably more . I like to drive my car to and form the tracks . It is part of the fun en enjoyment for me . I know many guys who put their cars on a truck to get them to the track as they do not want to put too many miles on them .  Nice to have a car that looks low milage , but then it is 5'000 km of tack only !!!!

I know a certain Swiss company that likes to work that way. Smiley

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:

One that sells cars ? Smiley They are far from being the only ones . At each Porsche cup  track event , they are at least 20 cars ( GT3 , RS , GT2 ) sent down by truck . 

Actually I once calculated the depreciation vs the truck cost and at the end it is probably cheaper to take the truck then to all miles on the car 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    Porker:

One that sells cars ? Smiley They are far from being the only ones . At each Porsche cup  track event , they are at least 20 cars ( GT3 , RS , GT2 ) sent down by truck . 

Actually I once calculated the depreciation vs the truck cost and at the end it is probably cheaper to take the truck then to all miles on the car 

Interesting point. Did you only compare the depreciation with the truck cost or did you also add the additional cost to go to the track (by plane or another car)?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689282 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409069 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255686 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234938 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65494 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857875 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773873 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM