Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Boxster 718 Imprezzions

Courtesy of a nice invitation from Porsche Centre Swindon we had a day out at the Porsche Experience Centre Silverstone to sample the new Boxster 718. It's not "seven one eight", or "seven hundred and eighteen" but "seven eighteen" apparently.

The styling looks better in the metal than it does in photographs, not unusual for Porsche models not to be photogenic I guess Smiley Every panel is supposed to be different from the outgoing 981 but difficult to spot much difference, the car does seem somewhat sleeker. The new front end is nicer than the 981 (non GTS /Spyder) models however I'm not convinced by the rear, the new vertical panel beneath the rear spoiler with PORSCHE on it clutters up what used to be a clean rear deck.

Inside I like the full leather detailing with the stitching running down either side of the central console but I don't like the new central vents which are now proud of the dash top rather than flush on the 981; the worse part of the interior is the return of the sport chrono "wart" rather than being classily integrated on 981. Changing details for the worse just for the sake of meddling - will designers never learn a good rule in engineering - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The new smaller steering wheels are an improvement none more so than the new multi function sports wheel which replaces the awful ugly multi function wheel of the past that was more suited to a truck or van than a sports car. The PDK selector lever now has the + and - direction reversed for manual shifting; not a worry for me as I always use the steering wheel paddles to change gear rather than the lever. the new PCM is light years ahead of the 981 version, slightly larger screen, much better and clearer graphics, now with full phone integration. Navigation also a huge leap ahead with use of Google maps, real time traffic updates and the ability to set the navigation routing up from a smart phone without even being in the car. Brilliant! PCM and bluetooth phone hook up both now standard for the first time in Boxster. LED headlights are an - expensive - option for the first time on Boxster; as is lane change and blind spot warning, not that I'd have them, nothing like good old fashioned observation rather than relying on gizmos.

Now for driving impressions, I drove a base 718 manual and a PDK 718 S with PDK, PASM and ceramic brakes - good as I got a close comparison with our GTS.Smiley Steering is noticeably sharper now with a 10% quicker rack combined with the smaller steering wheel, nice! maybe it was the cars maybe me, but I found it much easier to control the induced skids on the kick plate skid pan and ice hill slalom than in the previous cars. The six speed manual is a lovely shift and PDK is even better than before smoother, more intuitive on automatic shifts, and faster with it. 

Now for the elephant in the room, the new flat four engines. I did my best to go to the drives with an open mind but IMO these new engines have comprehensively ruined the cars for me. The base 2.0 engine sounded better the 2.5 rougher and a bit more agricultural. The good thing is the much improved torque does an improved job of masking the high gearing, the cars are definitely quicker I'd say the new S is probably quicker even than our GTS, and the base car is quicker than the previous 981 S. But it's the way this power is delivered I don't like, more in the fashion of  a turbo diesel way, low down power with no real encouragement to rev the engines, as there is no reward for doing so. None of the cars at Silverstone had a sports exhaust, not sure what improvement that would make to the sound as it's difficult to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Smiley The new engines have transformed the Boxster from something rather unique and special to just an ordinary, if fast, sports car. Imagine Mazda introducing a new model up from the MX-5 / Miata if you will, that's what the 718 would be like. The new drive trains could be from any hot hatch and have no place in what is an expensive sports car, and significantly more costly than the outgoing car. 

Would I consider changing our GTS in a few years time for a new uprated 4 cylinder GTS? Sorry Porsche, but no. SmileyYou've ruined the car for me and if I bought one I'd get bored with it pretty quickly. The other significant improvements are all well and good but not enough to compensate for the new engines. 

At the end of the day it was a pleasure getting back into our GTS with its wonderful engine and aural delights and driving home. Smiley

PS apologies for photo quality on the day; iPhone 6S Plus, can't really carry a DSLR around on these events! Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 R Design daily drive

Re: Boxster 718 Imprezzions

dreamcar:

At the end of the day it was a pleasure getting back into our GTS with its wonderful engine and aural delights and driving home.

Thanks. That is all I needed to know Smiley Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

1463851992443IMG_0545.jpg1463852006212IMG_0546.jpg1463852021081IMG_0548.jpg1463852031387IMG_0549.jpg1463852042523IMG_0547.jpg1463852054802IMG_0553.jpgIMG_0564.jpg1463852078665IMG_0554.jpg1463852088576IMG_0555.jpgIMG_0550.jpgIMG_0552.jpgIMG_0557.jpgIMG_0559.jpgIMG_0558.jpgIMG_0560.jpgIMG_0562.jpgIMG_0563.jpgIMG_0566.jpgIMG_0567a.jpg

--

Thank you Dreamcar. Sound is an important factor for me in a car too.

I've been advocating the change to a Boxster from an E93 330d to a relative. Will report after a testdrive.

But first I need to join the ranks of our beloved flat sixes again and pick up my GT4 which arrived at the importer friday...

Nice writeup dreamcar!  I find the design of the car not too bad, but , driving the spyder i can't imagine having to miss the georgeous sound of the flat 6. Even mss is becoming to like the car more. kiss The weather being a bit warmer sche can live with the turbulences in the spyder now...

--

965 3.3turbo/  993 targa / 996 cab /997S cab/996 GT3

Audi A6 3.0 biturbo Quattro/Mini JCW/ 993 cab// boxster spyder

Running through your pictures, I was trying really hard to like the 718 design. Then I saw your white GTS at the end and thought no, the 981 is still a better, more cohesive design. The poor engine sound and turbo diesel delivery of the 718 seal it as a deal breaker for me. I don't think I'll be getting rid of the GT4 any time soon... Don't think I'll ever buy a 4-cyl Porsche. 

One major plus for me of the new 718, in the past I've changed cars too quickly and without thinking through properly. Now I know that if I part with the GTS there is nothing I can replace it with. Smiley

--

dreamcar:

Courtesy of a nice invitation from Porsche Centre Swindon we had a day out at the Porsche Experience Centre Silverstone to sample the new Boxster 718. It's not "seven one eight", or "seven hundred and eighteen" but "seven eighteen" apparently.

Well, that is consistent with the tradition of referring to the 911 as the "nine-eleven", and consistency would be important to the German mentality.   Smiley 

--

fritz

I haven't driven the 718 as yet but have now seen it several times at my dealer and each time I do I like it less and less. It's the first time I can recall that I've not wanted to buy a new model. There are a lot of aspects of the new design that cheapen the look of the car for me - the fake rear diffuser with no openings in it, the strip of black plastic between the rear lights and the rear lights themselves that have retained a similar outline shape to the 981 but have mostly black plastic on display on their interior surfaces. The most telling thing for me whenever I've visited the dealer is that no customers are looking around the models on display which is not a good sign for a new model and the demonstration cars always seem to be sitting outside which is also an indication that they are not proving to be a runaway success.

Looking at dreamcar's photo of the line up of demonstration cars at the Silverstone PEC I cannot see a single example that is attractive or desirable.

fritz:
    dreamcar:

.....consistency would be important to the German mentality.   Smiley 

Well that also explains why the "seven eighteen" sounds like a diesel powered Beetle....Smiley

--

ISUK:

I haven't driven the 718 as yet but have now seen it several times at my dealer and each time I do I like it less and less. It's the first time I can recall that I've not wanted to buy a new model. There are a lot of aspects of the new design that cheapen the look of the car for me - the fake rear diffuser with no openings in it, the strip of black plastic between the rear lights and the rear lights themselves that have retained a similar outline shape to the 981 but have mostly black plastic on display on their interior surfaces. The most telling thing for me whenever I've visited the dealer is that no customers are looking around the models on display which is not a good sign for a new model and the demonstration cars always seem to be sitting outside which is also an indication that they are not proving to be a runaway success.

Looking at dreamcar's photo of the line up of demonstration cars at the Silverstone PEC I cannot see a single example that is attractive or desirable.

The styling I could live with, the worse part of the changes for me are the totally unnecessary vertical black panel under the rear spoiler and the redesigned vents and Chrono "wart" inside. I could forgive it all that if the car only had a decent engine - the faster steering is kart - sharp now. I don't understand how Porsche believe anyone could go from the glorious flat six to that god awful engine - other than those that just want the kudos of a Porsche badge. So sad and frustrating that such a wonderful car has been ruined. Smiley Smiley Smiley

...and like you ISUK first time I've seen and tried the latest Porsche and had no wish to buy one. 

--

Thanks Dreamcar for your review. As an owner of a few Boxster, your impressions says a lot  .  As you say, torque is nice at the beginning, as it makes the car feel powerful and is easy to use, but if there is no room for revs and power , then the car gets quickly boring ........   But I need to try it for myself on the 718 . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

.......  But I need to try it for myself on the 718 . 

If you don't drive a diesel daily drive (like me) which replicates exactly the 718 power delivery and wear noise cancelling ear defenders you may even like it Smiley

--

dreamcar:

The styling I could live with........ I could forgive it all that if the car only had a decent engine

For me the styling is a critical part of the desire to want to drive the car and with the 718 I just get no attraction towards it unlike I did from the outset with the 981 which just looked "right" IMHO. For me Porsche have Mclarenised (Smiley) the Boxster and turned it from an object of desire into something very capable with a turbo engine and mediocre fussy styling.

I do like the style and feel of the new smaller steering wheel, I wonder if it is possible to retrofit? Smiley

--

It should be as the GT4 and Spyder both feature the new steering wheel design.

ISUK:

True but they are both manual and we have PDK - we'd lose the mode indication in the steering wheel I guess....Smiley I may well ask my OPC, thanks Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    Gnil:

.......  But I need to try it for myself on the 718 . 

If you don't drive a diesel daily drive (like me) which replicates exactly the 718 power delivery and wear noise cancelling ear defenders you may even like it Smiley

I just got myself a Q7 3.0 diesel . Nice to cruise in town and up to 120 km/h , but that's it Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    ISUK:

True but they are both manual and we have PDK - we'd lose the mode indication in the steering wheel I guess....Smiley I may well ask my OPC, thanks Smiley

You will be very surprised by the price ...... in a bad way Smiley

--

Gnil:
    dreamcar:
    ISUK:

You will be very surprised by the price ...... in a bad way Smiley

That I don't doubt as I retrofitted a Sport Design wheel to the 997/2 I had to replace the ugly MF wheel it had as standard. I don't dislike the sports wheel in the GTS so unlikely I'll change it

--

@ DC: many thanks for the report and pics SmileyThe food looks nice SmileyI guess they have to tap into a new customer group to sell them in spades. Just for fun I did spec a 718S similar to my Spyder and the 718S pricetag was only 2,700 EUR lower than that of  the Spyder....

--

public roads: Porsche 981 Spyder Riviera-Black, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic-Black

Porsche-Jeck:

@ DC: many thanks for the report and pics SmileyThe food looks nice Smiley

Thanks PJ, it was a great day out, such a shame that the significant improvements to the 718 have been marred by the new engines, at least the temptation to change wasn't there! SWMBO will have to lock me up in a dark room and take away my cheque book if the 718 GTS is six cylinder as engine apart 718 is a brilliant sports car. Smiley

A visit to Germany in 2017 is definitely on the cards, would love to meet up with you - and other Rennteamers - when we come over Smiley Smiley Smiley  Smiley

--

a image.png.jpgDown right scary...

Hi Dreamcar

I too was invited to Silverstone last week and my feelings were very similar to yours, we all sat through the briefing and then the video with the flat 4 history linking the new 718 to the flat 4 cars of the 50's and 60's

Steering is better than my S and the updated sat nav is great but the engine note on the new S PDK when I did my first lap was awful.

Yes there's plenty of low down power and its very quick, launch control especially so, although I can't see I'd ever want to put my car through this stress.

After our first session we were back to watch a video that focussed on the new sat nav and car play features and I think the cars will appeal even more so to those using them as a daily driver, especially when you consider the performance from what is the entry car in Porsches range but to me who uses their Boxster for high days and holidays the engine drone just turned me off.

If I was in the market as a first timer however moving from a hot hatch I would probably be more than happy with the standard car with a few options. 

I did really like the two tone black and Bordeaux interior in the display car, where we a couple of guests connected up their phones to the Car play features, sadly this interior is not available with the sports seats plus

On a very positive note breakfast and lunch were excellent and I happily drove back to my office in my Boxster S with my wallet closed.

Like you our Boxster is a "sunny day and Sunday" fun car. Certainly the steering was sharper, PCM was better but nothing compensated for that engine sadly. At least you don't get the hard sell at Silverstone, the pretty lady that did the talk on the new features wasn't correct as someone asked if DAB was included as standard to which she replied it was but not according to the on line configurator!! The main benefit for us (apart from the excellent breakfast and lunch) is the tuition from the driving consultants, mine was Mark from Leeds (forget his surname) and the best I've had there - made me rethink about doing the Precision and Performance driving courses. 

I did get a follow up phone call from the salesman at our OPC, I didn't run the engine down to him too much as I guess the dealership paid for the event, I just said after the flat six the new engine "would take a bit of getting used to" and if I were to change ( not that I am) I'd probably look at a low mileage 991 GTS.

--

A few snaps of our GTS alongside HMS Dragon, one of the Royal Navy's six Type 45 air defence destroyers. A £1 billion   back drop! The dragon on the bow is in recognition of the ship's adoption by the Welsh capital city of Cardiff. 

1464622243488IMG_0656.jpg1464622263877IMG_0653.jpg1464622274671IMG_0654.jpg

--

Great picture Dreamcar kiss

Your GTS are a true keeper!
    --

m4ever:

Great picture Dreamcar kiss

+1 Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

+1, how could I represent the most famous "there are 2 of us GTS folks here ", if dreamcar goes imprezzzzzzion...Smiley.

@dreamcar:That is really some black and white GTS you have!!!! Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763529 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435999 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260814 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257774 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82561 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872847 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808337 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM