Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

Congrats to the new ride ! I'm sure you'll love it if you ignore all the tiny problems. My experience with Tesla has been similar. Very friendly and helpful people there, but the company needed 3 attempts and an escalation to send me a correct invoice (among other things).

schmoell:

Congrats to the new ride ! I'm sure you'll love it if you ignore all the tiny problems. My experience with Tesla has been similar. Very friendly and helpful people there, but the company needed 3 attempts and an escalation to send me a correct invoice (among other things).

Stupid question: Have you bought your Tesla S or did you lease it? If you leased it, how much and was it a Tesla offer?

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (May 2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Not a stupid question; I bought it because leasing rates were unreasonable high back then.  Don't know if this has changed

schmoell:

Not a stupid question; I bought it because leasing rates were unreasonable high back then.  Don't know if this has changed

Indeed they were (and still are) unreasonably high. Thanks. Smiley

I was wondering if Tesla lowered their lease rates because if they did, they could attract a whole new clientele (German business owners) but I guess they are happy with the business as it is now (I think).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (May 2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Carlos from Spain:

I'm may have a different personal opinion on these cars but that doesn't mean it is not nice to see you so excited about one, I really hope you love it and enjoy reading your impressions scifrog wink

Congratulations - I would echo these comments. It will be interesting to to follow your real world ownership experience.

German manufacturers give attractive leases (in Germany) to blow out some inventories and hide large discounts. Tesla has no reason to do so, plus it needs the cash now not later, they are not in a position to be a bank and lend money.

I mostly wear only jeans, and have had only one car with black interior in the last 20 years. Never had an issue with discoloration.

SciFrog:

German manufacturers give attractive leases (in Germany) to blow out some inventories and hide large discounts. Tesla has no reason to do so, plus it needs the cash now not later, they are not in a position to be a bank and lend money.

I mostly wear only jeans, and have had only one car with black interior in the last 20 years. Never had an issue with discoloration.

No ass sweating? Smiley Smiley

We had a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S with a light brown color in the inside. One year later, the brown had blueish tones in it. Of course you can clean the seats but the discoloration was there.

--

RC:
    SciFrog:

We had a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S with a light brown color in the inside. One year later, the brown had blueish tones in it. Of course you can clean the seats but the discoloration was there.

Perhaps some underwear?  Depends?  Drive slower?  Lol. 

Tesla is selling some attractive used Model S cars starting around $40k for low mileage ones and up. 

Leawood911:
    RC:
    SciFrog:

Perhaps some underwear?  Depends?  Drive slower?  Lol. 

This would be the passengers, not me. Smiley

Tesla is selling some attractive used Model S cars starting around $40k for low mileage ones and up. 

Everything else than a P100D is crap... Smiley You can't get a P100D for 40k.

--

My guess is that if there were a p101 the plain old p100 would be crap too. 😎. I appreciate your high standards. 

Fyi the p100 used prices are very reasonable. If I could only have one car it would need to be a Tesla. If I could have more than one I might not own one at all. How is that for a brain twister. 

Leawood911:

My guess is that if there were a p101 the plain old p100 would be crap too. 😎. I appreciate your high standards. 

Maybe you should check the technical specs of the various Tesla S/X models to understand why the P100D is the only one worth getting. Smiley

--

Congrats SciFrog.

Great to see your excitement with the new toy  kiss

First real drive. The was a little squeak that went away, else it is very silent. Even not being the P version, acceleration is more than I will realistically use. Zero regrets not getting the P which would have been $35k more with ludicrous, which I would use twice and forget about it anyway. I floored it and it was too much for confort so far, surely will get used to it, but it has a lot of torque obviously. Handling at the extreme is somewhat below the RRS supercharged, in one tight turn, that said, the speed used in that turn exceeds what a normal person would drive so not that relevant (every loose item in the car would fly away). More importantly steering was very direct and very reactive, on par with the RRS. You can feel the weight, but it is different than a SUV: the weight is very present but you feel it is low, so the car corners flat. On that very tight corner at high speed, the front tires gave up, granted they have only 100 miles... Also the tires are Pirelli Scorpion which are all season tires in the end. But this was never meant to be a sport car in the first place, so as a people mover, the confort and drive feel is way up there. Plus the cabin is very spacious and the glass windshield/roof is out of this world.

Battery range was disappointing. I started at 87% and ended at 62% (which was exactly what was predicted, freaky) but there was traffic. Average was 444 wh/miles (peak at 900 smiley had to try it),  So that gives a 10-90% usable range of 180 miles. But it was cold, so in summer it will be more. Cannot do two round trips to that work location though with enough confidence. Also a portion of the drive was at 75mph or so, where efficiency probably starts to drop. But there was more traffic than usual... Also this is with 22” wheels, 20” are said to have a better range but not clear how much better. After reading some more, people are seeing 320 to 450kw/m, so I am way up there, not surprisingly Smiley

Autopilot: I did not use any advanced features yet, but the bottom line is that it is 5 years ahead of the Porsche and Land Rover systems. Lane recognition is much much better even with sun glare, and the display shows all the cars around, even at highway speed, and is super accurate and reactive. Basically it is real tine which give a huge confidence to how the system works. I will spare for now some of the implementation details but clearly you can see there were a lot of updates and work to make it what it is today. The speed control is very reactive and feels was more intelligent than what I had tried before, more “human” like with some level of anticipation. Auto change lane is freakingly good and can merge with incoming traffic like a human would (although less aggressive). Just put the turn indicator where you want to move and the car does all the rest. The autopilot work on secondary roads too, but the speed is more limited for safety. 

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-track-mode-experience-randy-pobst/

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 991.2 GT2 RS +Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

Enjoy the new car Smiley

But don't forget all these fatal accidents resulting from reliance on the "Autopilot". It is a dangerous tool. Mostly as it seems to give you confidence (I can tell from your post). But in reality it kills Smiley

(I cannot remember exactly but Mercedes claims that you need about 30 additonal sensors to what Tesla uses to get close to a reliable Autopilot. I.e. the Tesla system is "low budget")

I think even the lane change tool is dangerous.  Even in the fastest mode, it changes lanes too slowly.  In California traffic, that means the gap is closing quickly and the Tesla auto-pilot almost makes it like you are cutting off another driver.  I've had to override the lane change on more than one occasion.  It's more like a sophisticated cruise control than true auto pilot, which still can make sitting in traffic far more bearable.  As long as you understand that and don't rely on it to steer (and keep alert), then it is generally okay.

On the jeans color, especially if you have raw denim, the color will come off.  Rubs off even on black seats, you just can't see it that easily, but if you clean your leather you will see it come up on the cloth.  Happens in my Porsche, Lotus, my former BMW, etc.

vantagesc:

I think even the lane change tool is dangerous.  Even in the fastest mode, it changes lanes too slowly.  In California traffic, that means the gap is closing quickly and the Tesla auto-pilot almost makes it like you are cutting off another driver.  I've had to override the lane change on more than one occasion.  It's more like a sophisticated cruise control than true auto pilot, which still can make sitting in traffic far more bearable.  As long as you understand that and don't rely on it to steer (and keep alert), then it is generally okay.

Exactly, unfortunately not everyone has this common sense and you get people using it as an autopilot instead of a driver assistance system which is all it is.

Researchers trick Tesla Autopilot into steering into oncoming traffic

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/04/researchers-trick-tesla-autopilot-into-steering-into-oncoming-traffic/

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

It is definitely not ready for a full auto pilot. You need to watch, still it is bluffing how well it works, even lane change seems pretty smart (so far). Need to test more on/off ramps but you can see how close they are (there is no other car on the market that can do it). Also it works at low speed in cities, quite amazing.

Managed to do 330wh/m on a 30 miles stretch, mostly on auto pilot. Even managed a 310wh/m on a 15 miles stretch. So one thing for sure is that the battery range is real. But if you drive with a heavy foot or too fast, you range will evaporate, same as a petrol engine though. The estimate of how much battery will be left on arrival was once again bang on. This bodes well to alliviate range anxiety. Car was down to 35% so getting its first charge tonight, ready for tomorrow. You can check through he app if the car is being charged or not by the attendants.

Regarding handling, first impressions is that the car is very “agile”, because of incredible torque, direct and precise steering, and low perceived center of gravity. But if you push it in corners the way you could push a Macan turbo, it will give up quicker and will not be as fun. But again, since this is not what the car is designed for, it will be irrelevant for 99.9% of the buyers (it is a heavy and wide 7 seater).

The cabin feels gigantic, come to think of it, I do not think there is any car in the market that ever gave me that feel. The light color interior and the giant glass windshield are clearly huge features. Many here have said that not having buttons to control the car would be a huge issue. Well this is completely untrue. After less than 2 hours in the car, I did not even think about it. The system is that good, and no finger prints on the screen either.

Last nice goodie, I managed to make a pretty sweet arrangement which will give me quasi “free” electricity for the car smiley This will save thousands of $$ a year.

SciFrog:

It is definitely not ready for a full auto pilot. You need to watch, still it is bluffing how well it works, even lane change seems pretty smart (so far). Need to test more on/off ramps but you can see how close they are (there is no other car on the market that can do it). Also it works at low speed in cities, quite amazing.

Managed to do 330wh/m on a 30 miles stretch, mostly on auto pilot. Even managed a 310wh/m on a 15 miles stretch. So one thing for sure is that the battery range is real. But if you drive with a heavy foot or too fast, you range will evaporate, same as a petrol engine though. The estimate of how much battery will be left on arrival was once again bang on. This bodes well to alliviate range anxiety. Car was down to 35% so getting its first charge tonight, ready for tomorrow. You can check through he app if the car is being charged or not by the attendants.

Regarding handling, first impressions is that the car is very “agile”, because of incredible torque, direct and precise steering, and low perceived center of gravity. But if you push it in corners the way you could push a Macan turbo, it will give up quicker and will not be as fun. But again, since this is not what the car is designed for, it will be irrelevant for 99.9% of the buyers (it is a heavy and wide 7 seater).

The cabin feels gigantic, come to think of it, I do not think there is any car in the market that ever gave me that feel. The light color interior and the giant glass windshield are clearly huge features. Many here have said that not having buttons to control the car would be a huge issue. Well this is completely untrue. After less than 2 hours in the car, I did not even think about it. The system is that good, and no finger prints on the screen either.

Last nice goodie, I managed to make a pretty sweet arrangement which will give me quasi “free” electricity for the car smiley This will save thousands of $$ a year.

You know, without knowing the car before hand, every human being one Earth after reading the bold section would have think that's a minivan and not a SUV or crossover 

--

Exactly, just repeating what was written before, Tesla managed to make a vehicle that has the practicality of a minivan, the utility/look of a SUV/crossover, the luxury of a German automaker (almost), the best tech/autonomous system and infotainment on the market on top of the most efficient EV powertrain not only on the market today but at least for the next 5-8 years. Not only all that, but it managed to make it the coolest mass market vehicle to own in the USA today. On top of it it has the best in class acceleration and it is agile to drive, all that for less or equal money than the competition. Last but not least, it is very subjective but in certain color combo (like mine), it even looks cool and sporty 

So the last drive was 400wh/mi, meaning only one round trip staying within 10-90% range, so be it, with the app I just have to make sure they charge the car every time, no biggie, small price to pay in exchange for never have to go to a gas station and saving $3,000 yearly in gas.

I have written many times that my dream daily driver would be a Macan EV, well after a few days with the X, and reading/learning more about battery in real life and efficiency, I do not think Porsche can deliver something that would work for me. Real range usage would be 150 miles which is not enough for my routine unless Porsche can deliver a huge surprise in the efficiency department. Plus the extra room is nice as kids are growing. And paying $180k for a Cayenne TTS seem completely silly at this point.

SciFrog:

Exactly, just repeating what was written before, Tesla managed to make a vehicle that has the practicality of a minivan, the utility/look of a SUV/crossover, the luxury of a German automaker (almost), the best tech/autonomous system and infotainment on the market on top of the most efficient EV powertrain not only on the market today but at least for the next 5-8 years. Not only all that, but it managed to make it the coolest mass market vehicle to own in the USA today. On top of it it has the best in class acceleration and it is agile to drive, all that for less or equal money than the competition. Last but not least, it is very subjective but in certain color combo (like mine), it even looks cool and sporty 

So the last drive was 400wh/mi, meaning only one round trip staying within 10-90% range, so be it, with the app I just have to make sure they charge the car every time, no biggie, small price to pay in exchange for never have to go to a gas station and saving $3,000 yearly in gas.

I have written many times that my dream daily driver would be a Macan EV, well after a few days with the X, and reading/learning more about battery in real life and efficiency, I do not think Porsche can deliver something that would work for me. Real range usage would be 150 miles which is not enough for my routine unless Porsche can deliver a huge surprise in the efficiency department. Plus the extra room is nice as kids are growing. And paying $180k for a Cayenne TTS seem completely silly at this point.

I hear you, and congratulate you again on your purchase. I have stayed out of this thread for the most part (thank God!), but driving a Tesla is a completely joyless experience for a sportscar  enthusiast. I get way more fun even in a Mini Cooper S.

I have to agree, and it doesn't only have the practicality of a minivan, let us be honest, it looks like a minivan, nothing like a SUV or crossover, so neither the driving not the looks is something I could associate with the word cool nor would I feel cool driving it, it is a electric 7 seater practical people mover, it has its advantages but none tick the boxes for me.

As a sportscar enthusiast as well, joyless describes it well, none of its attributes makes me passionate. I can understand how others can appreciate it though, we all have different tastes and preferences and very very importantly, different perceptions of the same things, so long as we are happy with what we chose, it is all good. Such a car is so different to a sportscar that it is going to be very polarizing, either you love it or hate it, it is only natural.

--

That’s why I also have a Mini S convertible smiley the Tesla are not sportscars... nor are they supposed to be...

Carlos, let’s just agree to disagree but it does not look like a minivan (they have a short front and a boxy rear, which the X does not at all, the rear even has a spoiler angry, and they have sliding rear doors). That said the X is wide and low, which are traits of a minivan... But I think it is disingenuous to say that my spec (for example) looks like a minivan... Let me also remind you that minivans are slow, not AWD and not agile unlike the X... and more importantly, they are not perceived as cool...

To me it looks like a minivan, it has the profile of a minivan, with that tall rear behind the rear wheel and sedan-like front just bigger and bonnet on a similar angle than the windshield, and that is why the cabin is just like a minivan's too yes 

The rear spoiler looks ridiculous if I'm honest, what is the function of such a thing in a people mover that is never driven at 100mph and who's design is intended for mileage not for downforce and high speed?  

--

What is the function of the spoiler on ANY car sold in the USA that never reach above 100mph on public roads? yes It is just looks probably, although it might help the very efficient Tesla aero?

SciFrog:

What is the function of the spoiler on ANY car sold in the USA that never reach above 100mph on public roads? yes It is just looks probably, although it might help the very efficient Tesla aero?

That rear spoiler is definitely useless especially since Teslas are always prone to drive under the speed limit on Interstates and are usually found traveling 10 to 20 mph below the general flow of traffic.  Evidently, many Prius owners have transitioned to a Tesla with all the petrol dollars saved with owning a hybrid.

SciFrog:

That’s why I also have a Mini S convertible smiley the Tesla are not sportscars... nor are they supposed to be...

Carlos, let’s just agree to disagree but it does not look like a minivan (they have a short front and a boxy rear, which the X does not at all, the rear even has a spoiler angry, and they have sliding rear doors). That said the X is wide and low, which are traits of a minivan... But I think it is disingenuous to say that my spec (for example) looks like a minivan... Let me also remind you that minivans are slow, not AWD and not agile unlike the X... and more importantly, they are not perceived as cool...

It does have the profile of an Aztek.............................

--

So does the Cayenne... Just look...

Tesla deliveries and production volumes for Q1 19 show a significant 30% drop from Q4 18.   Good thing prices were cut to stimulate demand.  Can’t wait until the quarterly financial data are released.  

https://electrek.co/2019/04/03/tesla-q1-2019-production-delivery-numbers/

crayphile:
    SciFrog:

I hear you, and congratulate you again on your purchase. I have stayed out of this thread for the most part (thank God!), but driving a Tesla is a completely joyless experience for a sportscar  enthusiast. I get way more fun even in a Mini Cooper S.

And the last one is no fun to drive... Smiley SmileySmiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689667 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409309 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255789 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235012 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65536 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858067 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774118 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM