Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

SciFrog:
    Carlos from Spain:
    SciFrog:

Most popular segment is actually crossovers ie SUV not made for off-road. What makes a minivan is the boxy shape, the short front and the sliding door. The X has none of it and is super cool on top of it, with the most advanced EV tech and infotainment system on any car available on the market today Smiley

If it looks like a minivan, sits like a minivan and drives like a minivan, then it's as minivan, and minivans are anything but cool. This shape is anti-cool, not even the wife and daughter would be caught driving one... doesn't matter if it is Tesla or Audi or Infinity who makes it.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Minivans are anything but cool, that’s the genius behind the X...

The front does not look like a minivan.
    The rear does not look like a minivan.
    The side does not look like a minivan.
    No minivan on the market has full wing doors.
    No minivan has a front trunk.
    No minivan on the market is an EV.
    No minivan has supercar acceleration performance.
    No minivan has a 17” screen
    No minivan has a giant glass roof.
    No minivan has OTA software updates with new capabilities added in the future as they are ready.
    No minivan has onboard hardware capabilities for autonomous driving (even if the software is not ready).
    No minivan can be shipped directly to you and bought without talking to an annoying dealer.

That is great except... it still looks like a minivan Smiley a minivan version of a Prius to be precise, double-not-cool Smiley

--

I just found out what the Y stands for: Yuck. indecision

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

The US equity markets are asking whY too.  TSLA down almost 4.0%.  

Should get the X deliver soon after coming back from Canada, this is by far the most exciting car purchase since the California 7 years ago.

Y looks like a squashed Model 3, like someone resized the image.  I don't think it looks bad at all, but I had to blink a few times to make sure I wasn't disoriented.  

SciFrog:

Should get the X deliver soon after coming back from Canada, this is by far the most exciting car purchase since the California 7 years ago.

+ you are doing something good for Tesla to help them Smiley

SciFrog:

The X is not a car, it is a gadget, a tool, a people mover but no car. Smiley I would definitely own something like this (maybe not in a Minivan shape Smiley) if I had your financial background, so I understand you well but make no mistake, this is not something you are going to enjoy for a very long time. This is just another gadget you add to your collection, at least it would be for me. I love gadgets but I don't get goosebumps using my iPad. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

It is totally not a car, it is a people mover, a gadget and a toy, one that I will use a lot without fear of trashing it and without fear of loosing my driving licence every 10 minutes. Car emotions? I am mostly past that in the performance side of things. I do love the experience of owning fairly exceptional and unique cars though, something that most 911 Have long lost by now.

The emotion of the X is to own a part of the future of the automobile, the first revolution since the Ford Model T. That’s why this purchase is as exciting as I have been for a vehicle for a long time, regardless of its looks or perceived reputation especially in countries that do not have the infrastructure or gdp per capita to buy luxury EVS.

Some of you still cannot comprehend that the Teslas are today the coolest cars to own in the USA. But they are. Eventually Europeans will follow with the new tech, as they always do... VW is surely boarding the train now.

Next project? Tesla solar roof tiles on the summer house... That should be fun.

PS: stocks down on deliveries of Y later than previously hinted:

https://apple.news/ASVgkYYlsSQmxYko6eDncGw

One of the first Model whY road, sort-of, reviews:  https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-i-learned-on-a-very-short-tesla-model-y-ride-1833326017

From the description, sounds more of an EV powered competitor to the Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, and Volkswagen Tiguan than BMW, Mercedes, Audi, or even Cadillac.  Somewhat of a disappointment but nonetheless it will sell at suitable levels. 

That's what happens when the Model 3 eats too much dessert. 

SciFrog:

Some of you still cannot comprehend that the Teslas are today the coolest cars to own in the USA. But they are. Eventually Europeans will follow with the new tech, as they always do... VW is surely boarding the train now.

You forget some people live in places where they can enjoy a sportscar as a daily, so sure eventually we will follow, when I'm 90 and can only drive around in a people mover Smiley

--

SciFrog:

It is totally not a car, it is a people mover, a gadget and a toy, one that I will use a lot without fear of trashing it and without fear of loosing my driving licence every 10 minutes. Car emotions? I am mostly past that in the performance side of things. I do love the experience of owning fairly exceptional and unique cars though, something that most 911 Have long lost by now.

The emotion of the X is to own a part of the future of the automobile, the first revolution since the Ford Model T. That’s why this purchase is as exciting as I have been for a vehicle for a long time, regardless of its looks or perceived reputation especially in countries that do not have the infrastructure or gdp per capita to buy luxury EVS.

Next project? Tesla solar roof tiles on the summer house... That should be fun.

PS: stocks down on deliveries of Y later than previously hinted:

https://apple.news/ASVgkYYlsSQmxYko6eDncGw

Hmm, I am ot European

Also, I already have the coolest thing, the 918.

And I am going to have the 2nd coldest thing, the Panamera Turbo S in August.

And I also have the 3rd coolest thing, the Alfa 4C. Smiley

--

CGX car nut:

That's what happens when the Model 3 eats too much dessert. 

Apparently the Model Y design was inspired by a modern classic...

1552689416353image.png

Smiley

Awesome to see the model Y. 

Too often I hear complaints about how automakers keep making little changes to models to freshen them and make the new cars sell. This is at the expense of the last models buyers since it makes their cars look old and them poor.  Rinse and repeat. 

So them comes Tesla with a super coherent design which they apply to everything consistently in such a way that Model S buyers from 8 years ago still feel like they are driving a new car.  Awesome. Some of those Model S cars are awesome $35k used cars now with decent value left and they look like new.  At this point if given a choice over which car to buy one would need to be a pretty stubborn ice freak to not see what is going on. 

Keep talking about show it does not handle like a Porsche while the most popular cars are the RAV4 and Camry.  So who cares.  Kids these days don’t want an ice dinosaur. They want the Tesla that just burned the Lambo at the stop sign for $40 k or so.

After Ww2 in Austria my granddad was offered the local Coca Cola franchise.  He laughed and said it tastes like shit and no one would buy that crap if they could drink beer.  The family has been trying to learn from that mistake since then.  Tesla seems like a perfect analogy.  The stock is remarkably cheap.  I recommend you all get some if not the car  

Leawood911:

Too often I hear complaints about how automakers keep making little changes to models to freshen them and make the new cars sell. This is at the expense of the last models buyers since it makes their cars look old and them poor.  Rinse and repeat. 

So them comes Tesla with a super coherent design which they apply to everything consistently in such a way that Model S buyers from 8 years ago still feel like they are driving a new car.  Awesome. Some of those Model S cars are awesome $35k used cars now with decent value left and they look like new.  At this point if given a choice over which car to buy one would need to be a pretty stubborn ice freak to not see what is going on. 

Keep talking about show it does not handle like a Porsche while the most popular cars are the RAV4 and Camry.  So who cares.  Kids these days don’t want an ice dinosaur. They want the Tesla that just burned the Lambo at the stop sign for $40 k or so.

After Ww2 in Austria my granddad was offered the local Coca Cola franchise.  He laughed and said it tastes like shit and no one would buy that crap if they could drink beer.  The family has been trying to learn from that mistake since then.  Tesla seems like a perfect analogy.  The stock is remarkably cheap.  I recommend you all get some if not the car  

Hmm I know you are long on Tesla. Hence why you want it to go even higher.

But be realistic, Tesla's stock price is already artificially hyper inflated. It's valued properly if they make move a million cars a year, not 2-300k cars a year. It's monopoly of premium EV car is coming to and end. It's cash flow problem still do't have an end in sight. Stability of the leadership is in question. How is that the stock is super cheap again?

A proper valuation, a bit with some optimism built in, would put Tesla's stock price around $150 atm, they are still at least $100 too expensive.

A proper analogy to Tesla might be Enron or WorldCom. 

--

You’re all looking at this from the wrong perspective. EV cars are nothing more than getting from point A to point B as economically as possible. Styling is secondary and for the most part irrelevant. 

--

There is nothing stronger than gentleness.

nberry:

You’re all looking at this from the wrong perspective. EV cars are nothing more than getting from point A to point B as economically as possible. Styling is secondary and for the most part irrelevant. 

You are correct. Who in their right mind would buy a Model S for its styling Smiley.

Tesla Model Y introduction by Elon Musk...

...production forecast to commence late 2020...

Leawood911:

Just how many shares are you in for leadwood?

--

Whoopsy:

Hmm, I am ot European

This is your Lamborghini.....  SmileySmileySmileySmiley  I'm not cool any more... SmileySmileySmileySmiley  

Smiley

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

A friend's father was offered shares in a startup in the 1950s which was developing a zipper-less zipper. He said no thanks.

Velcro went on to do ok without him..  

4trac:
    Whoopsy:

Hmm, I am ot European

This is your Lamborghini.....  SmileySmileySmileySmiley  I'm not cool any more... SmileySmileySmileySmiley  

Smiley

Lambos are't cool anymore ow the RC got one SmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    SciFrog:

You forget some people live in places where they can enjoy a sportscar as a daily, so sure eventually we will follow, when I'm 90 and can only drive around in a people mover Smiley

--

Good for you.

There seems to be some nice roads around Whistler too, the drive up there was beautiful although it took more time to go through Vancouver than to drive up the mountain, they seem to have forgot to build a highway or a tunnel somewhere. Plus we have yet to see a cop or even a customs agent (we walked out of the plane, in the van and straight out on the road, very strange these Canadians). That was one really nice scenic drive, seeing top covered mountains with the ocean at the base is quite unique, and it is way warmer than the East coast already. Wondering how boating is around there. Left home on the East coast at 6.30am, was having lunch at 12.30pm (local) in the hotel, pretty amazing. Haven’t seen one nice sport car yet, more Teslas than Porsches...

The 4C is cool, but a 2 seater so not practical. The 918 and overpriced Panamera can only be bought by a tiny % of the population, they are but a dream except for very few.

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:

Just how many shares are you in for leadwood?

I’m only day trading Tesla now and then. Last week I was in and out of 100 shares six times due to the YRelase. I had been out of it for months prior to that. Too high above $330 imho. Twice short last week. Made $2k for those six trips but it is a bitch of a stock to trade right. The markets goal is often to take your money if you make the obvious play. It is easy to get psyched out. My favorite day trading stock has been Avon. It can be a money pump. I do plan on trading more Tesla next week.  I like active stocks that move around a lot.  

For what it’s worth I would enjoy the ludicrous acceleration from a Tesla. It is a very useful trick. Here in the US. Europeans are fooling themselves into thinking they would not enjoy this. So it is more than point A to B. 

“Leadwood”. Good one.  Are we still 4th grade?  

Leawood911:

Sorry Leawood, it was a typo, completely unintentional.

As to straight line acceleration, it gets boring very quickly (specially if you have driven superbikes it makes it look even more boring when done in a car). Also keep in mind that doing that on the street here in Europe is not the same as in the US, it is considered very hooliganish here to do WOT accelerations from low speeds on the street. Only in open road coming out of corners or highway it is OK, and in that scenario a Tesla's acceleration is no fun because of the handling or overheating.

--

To be fair: nobody cares when you rip a Tesla at a traffic light in Europe. I just had that minivan Tesla (X?) go full throttle next to me and nobody cared because the lack of sound...

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:

Sorry Leawood, it was a typo, completely unintentional.

As to straight line acceleration, it gets boring very quickly (specially if you have driven superbikes it makes it look even more boring when done in a car). Also keep in mind that doing that on the street here in Europe is not the same as in the US, it is considered very hooliganish here to do WOT accelerations from low speeds on the street. Only in open road coming out of corners or highway it is OK, and in that scenario a Tesla's acceleration is no fun because of the handling or overheating.

Jeremy Clarkson has a view on the use of Launch Control... Smiley

I've used launch control in my car 0 times, not once have I had the need to.

--

i guess LC are just made for having the option, like driving 300 almost no body do it or will do it even in germany now...just some stupid car nuts are doing it in the nights on the autostrada...me too of course..haha...but it is just so much easier to do it in a tesla, you just press the padal and all times you have a 0-100 in 3 sec without annoing any one or that the police will bother you...just a smart way to have fun 

--

993 c2

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774449 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440113 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261956 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260234 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84789 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879212 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    813986 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM