Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 488 Replacement

488 " big brother "

May 2019 , V8TT + sophisticated hybrid system ( kers + mguh ?) , spaceship looking car ,~1000 hp ! ( rumored ) , more than 600k€ less than 1000k€ ..

Ferrari V8 Hybrid to Have More Power than Pista, 2019 Launch

Ferrari have apparently confirmed that a hybrid V8 will arrive this year. The model is expected to replace that Ferrari 488 GTB as Ferrari’s entry level mid-engined supercar. CEO Louis Camilleri confirmed that the company will release the model this year during a conference call with journalists.
    The new engine is said to produce more power than the 488 Pista. The benefits of a hybrid system for Ferrari are clear. As well as boosting its performance it has clear fuel efficiency and CO2 emission benefits.
    The new engine is not expected to debut at the upcoming Geneva Motor Show 2019. It is instead set for a debut later this year with customer deliveries set for early 2020. The model will not be a limited-edition model but will have a “regular lifecycle”.
    Ferrari’s focus for the Geneva Motor Show 2019 will be the replacement for the 488 GTB. In true Ferrari fashion information about what they will display is very limited. Very little, if anything, has leaked from the Italian supercar manufacturer. Expect something mid-engined, with a turbocharged V8 engine and plenty of dramatic styling. 

koko:

Ferrari have apparently confirmed that a hybrid V8 will arrive this year. The model is expected to replace that Ferrari 488 GTB as Ferrari’s entry level mid-engined supercar. CEO Louis Camilleri confirmed that the company will release the model this year during a conference call with journalists.
    The new engine is said to produce more power than the 488 Pista. The benefits of a hybrid system for Ferrari are clear. As well as boosting its performance it has clear fuel efficiency and CO2 emission benefits.
    The new engine is not expected to debut at the upcoming Geneva Motor Show 2019. It is instead set for a debut later this year with customer deliveries set for early 2020. The model will not be a limited-edition model but will have a “regular lifecycle”.
    Ferrari’s focus for the Geneva Motor Show 2019 will be the replacement for the 488 GTB. In true Ferrari fashion information about what they will display is very limited. Very little, if anything, has leaked from the Italian supercar manufacturer. Expect something mid-engined, with a turbocharged V8 engine and plenty of dramatic styling. 

This is interesting, last word way always 720 hp for the 488 facelift. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    koko:

This is interesting, last word way always 720 hp for the 488 facelift. Smiley

Internet reveal on Monday. 

crayphile:

Internet reveal on Monday. 

Leak reveal today... Smiley Smiley

Still looking for it... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

koko:

OK, re-reading this whole thing makes no sense whatsoever.

It claims the 488 will be replaced by a new entry level model in 2020 with more hp than the Pista but at the same time, they announce the 488 facelift in Geneva??? Smiley Sounds like two different cars to me but a new entry level Ferrari "under" the 488 with more power than the Pista doesn't make any sense either.

--

RC:
    koko:

OK, re-reading this whole thing makes no sense whatsoever.

It claims the 488 will be replaced by a new entry level model in 2020 with more hp than the Pista but at the same time, they announce the 488 facelift in Geneva??? Smiley Sounds like two different cars to me but a new entry level Ferrari "under" the 488 with more power than the Pista doesn't make any sense either.

Correct. Ignore it.  488FL at Geneva 2019. Higher up the food chain V8 with hybrid add on with La Ferrari like performance later this year. New platform mid -engined V6 (most probably) plus hybrid in 2021 or later.

Very disappointing first teaser pic: broken heart

So a new steering wheel (actually the one from the 812), well that was expected. broken heart

Let's hope the teaser video announced for tomorrow will show something more or we really have to wait for Thursday, when the official press release will take place.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

People I know that were at the private viewing event were not impressed at all with interior which People at Ferrari insist it’s brand new.

koko:

People I know that were at the private viewing event were not impressed at all with interior which People at Ferrari insist it’s brand new.

I assume they changed the climate control? Smiley

--

RC:
    koko:

I assume they changed the climate control? Smiley

Did Ferrari move that to the steering wheel hub too?

Whats the name going to be? 588?

--

Anybody found that teaser movie yet?

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

New name/number anyone? Private presentation was in January, someone should know something. yes

--

Tomorrow......with a lower redline ? It's turning into a 911 Turbo  angry

Why bother to have the tach go to 10k when the needle won't ever get to 8k?  Waste of space and harder to read...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:

Why bother to have the tach go to 10k when the needle won't ever get to 8k?  Waste of space and harder to read...

Tach is taken over directly from the 458 and Speciale, which went up to 9k. Those were the days... Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

Rossi:
    Grant:

Tach is taken over directly from the 458 and Speciale, which went up to 9k. Those were the days... Smiley

But that electric motor really whines at 20,000 RPM!

F8 tributo

--

IG: tassometro

Here it is...

720 hp...770 Nm torque...40 kg lighter than 488 GTB...0,5 seconds faster from 0-200 kph than 488 GTB.

ferrari-f8-tributo.jpg
    ferrari-f8-tributo-2.jpg

--

Pretty, but again a FL?

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

rear.jpegfront.jpegside.jpeg

--

Is not supposed that this car was gonna be a completly new model? It looks like a facelifted 488 instead a brand new mid engine Ferrari.

Have to say, it improves massively its ugly predecesor, it's kinda nice. However it still miss the classy design and smooth lines from the Pinifarina's era. Now there are too many holes, too many angles, as it has been happening since both companies parted ways.

Corvette + lotus. No class. Dont like the holes below the rear lights and side cooling

--

sportcars-history.com

Just how many previous models is this car paying *tributo" to?? There are so many elements referencing previous models that it looks like some sort of Frankenstein creation from these photo's. The in-house team showed they can poduce classically proportioned and stylish designs with the Icona Monza SP1 and SP2 models. I hope the F8 draws a line under their efforts of the last 6 or 7 years and they move forward by returning to  curvacious elegant styling. They should leave all the active aero and multiple air inlets for the Speciale type version of the mid engined cars IMHO.

I like this car but now I ask myself: How do Pista buyers feel? I would be p.ss.d.

Any news on the price tag?

--

How Pista buyers feel?

Just as Performante buyers. SmileySmiley

Now seriously.
    The "new" or let's better say the rehashed 458/488 does look much better than the bland looking 488 GTB. And I'm sure this car will have at least three effects:

1. It will bring 488 GTB owners to change their car for the Tributo (what an absurd name). Immediatly.
    2. It will upset most Pista buyers. Totally.
    3. I will kill sales of the Huracán Evo. Mostly.

But for a first for Ferrari, the official press pics look better than pics of the real car, normally it's the other way round. But if you look at this, I'm not sure if this design is pleasing to the eye:

autozeitung_F8_rear.png

--

One more thing. If you look at the "new", sorry, rehashed interior, I think it shows a big, big disimprovement. Round vents looking totally out of place, old stye vents where they couldn't change the design, some "Ferrari" lettering slapped on, where they could find a place and where it looks ridiculous. No, I don't like it.

F8_interior.jpg

--

I had the chance to switch from the Performante order to an Evo order and didn't do it (after a short but very thorough analysis). The look of the Performante alone is worth getting it over the Evo. Also, funny (and this is something I actually found out now): The Evo costs as much as the Performante with the same options. Crazy.

Now back to the F8 Tributo: In the Autozeitung pic, the rear looks really bad. I hope it was just a bad angle. It looks as if a Ferrari had a child with a Lotus.  I even see NSX elements in the design. angry

No matter how it (F8 Tributo) looks however, I think you are right: Pista buyers will be p.ss.d and they should be. 

Yes, I agree: Now, the F8 Tributo has become a serious alternative to the 720S. Ferrari just needs to build enough cars to satisfy demand and yes, I think demand will be very high if Ferrari doesn't exaggerate with the price tag (which isn't available yet).

The Huracan Evo is in serious trouble though and will be in even more trouble once they install a particulate filter and mute the exhaust, resulting in even less demand (2020?).

Interesting enough, I know a couple of people who want a Huracan Evo now and many are coming from the R8, which is quite interesting again. The R8 facelift apparently p.ss.d off a lot of people (incl. me).

Now things are going to get interesting with the LT version of the 720S... The rumors indicate now a 770LT (a few weeks ago, I heard something about a 750LT). If the 770LT is a reality, this means this car gets 50 hp more than the 720S. Let's say McLaren lowers the weight by 50 kg or so and this car will destroy (straight-line) basically anything on the road with the exception of the Chiron maybe. 

Also, let's be real here: Porsche is in trouble as well. The rumored 650 hp for the new 992 Turbo S better be true because otherwise, the new Turbo S will be out of it's class before it even entered the market.

I also see issues for Lamborghini with the current SVJ... OK, different price class but still...

This is going to be interesting but the most interesting time will be 2020 and the years to come after, when the push for EVs (in the sportscar world mild hybrids) will be stronger and cars get quieter.

--

Ferrari always trounce the outgoing top tier model with the incoming new regular production car. It doesn't affect the values of the limited run cars like the Pista though as they will alway remain collectible. Lamborghini and Ferrari appeal to different buyers in general and this coupled with controlled supply of the F8 should mean there is little impact upon the Huracan Evo in terms of sales. Regular Ferrari customers know this and expect it as part of the model cycle. Anyone caught out by it hasn't done their homework. The huge jump in power this time round is more to do with the market disruptor behaviour of McLaren. They have had to evolve their model range in double quick time to try and establish themselves as serious players and have offered class leading power to attract buyers. The old gentle progress that was an unwritten rule between Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini was simply tossed out of the window by Woking. In doing so they have also made things more challenging for themselves as it has harmed their residual values as buyers know that something more powerful will be launched to market within 6 months of the last launch.

The HP war is just crazy and likely to become more stupid with the new generation of mild hybrids. I can foresee law suits in the US when buyers without the requisite skill get behind the wheel and crashes result.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774153 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    439938 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261871 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260155 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84743 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879080 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    813798 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM