Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 Speedster

the-missile:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:
    the-missile:
    rickman:

992 GT3 cab and Touring will exist ;)

I mentioned that few pages ago Smiley but RC was doubtful about it Smiley

Smiley

for 992 though, nothing for 991 series, 991 series will end with the speedster.Smiley

Interesting comment in the interview with Albrecht Reimold, Executive Board member for Production at Porsche...

What does the ramp-up plan for the new Porsche 911 look like? 

"At the end of Q1 or start of Q2 2019, we will ramp up to peak production again before dipping below the peak, though not significantly so. In recent years we have established a principle that has served us well at Porsche, which is to avoid huge variations during model changes. This very simple principle allows derivatives of the current model – such as the Targa or Turbo – to run alongside ramp-up of the new generation 911. The overlap normally lasts around one and a half years. This process gives production time to breathe and take stock, depending on demand."

-- Albrecht Reimold, Executive Board member for Production, Porsche

...so it sounds like 1.5 years of overlap in production between 991 end-of-run specials and the new 992 models! Smiley

d997h:
    We are more or less getting into the old Ford direction ("you can have any color you want as long as it is black"), which may be a good thing...   Smiley

Isn't that the Gaggenau line too? "You can have any color you want as long as it's stainless steel"

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    the-missile:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:
    the-missile:
    rickman:

992 GT3 cab and Touring will exist ;)

I mentioned that few pages ago Smiley but RC was doubtful about it Smiley

Smiley

for 992 though, nothing for 991 series, 991 series will end with the speedster.Smiley

Interesting comment in the interview with Albrecht Reimold, Executive Board member for Production at Porsche...

What does the ramp-up plan for the new Porsche 911 look like? 

"At the end of Q1 or start of Q2 2019, we will ramp up to peak production again before dipping below the peak, though not significantly so. In recent years we have established a principle that has served us well at Porsche, which is to avoid huge variations during model changes. This very simple principle allows derivatives of the current model – such as the Targa or Turbo – to run alongside ramp-up of the new generation 911. The overlap normally lasts around one and a half years. This process gives production time to breathe and take stock, depending on demand."

-- Albrecht Reimold, Executive Board member for Production, Porsche

...so it sounds like 1.5 years of overlap in production between 991 end-of-run specials and the new 992 models! Smiley

Agree a rather interesting comment. So 991 GT3 derivatives through to early 2020?

if 992 GT3 cab with electric roof will come out, will it appear stupid to pay big price for a Speedster that will likely just have a manual roof? 

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

No different than the R and the GT3 touring...

Except the Speedster is twice the price of a 991R, twice the production number, and a generation older than a 992GT3Cab.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

Except the Speedster is twice the price of a 991R, twice the production number, and a generation older than a 992GT3Cab.

this kind of answered my question

is the word "Speedster" worth so much money??Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

I would take the GT3 Touring over the 911 R anytime. 

Why? Engine but even more important...value and the "risk" of driving and putting too many kms on it.

The YouTuber Parker from Vehicle Virgins just put up his 458 Speciale Aperta for sale, a car he absolutely loved.

Why? At some point, he couldn't enjoy driving it anymore because he had to worry about the value of the car and what happens if he puts too many miles on it. He bought it used at a premium.

I get it, honestly. If you have to worry about depreciation too much, where is the fun in driving anymore? Either you drive it and don't care or you just get a different car. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

Why? Engine but even more important...value and the "risk" of driving and putting too many kms on it.

The YouTuber Parker from Vehicle Virgins just put up his 458 Speciale Aperta for sale, a car he absolutely loved.

Why? At some point, he couldn't enjoy driving it anymore because he had to worry about the value of the car and what happens if he puts too many miles on it. He bought it used at a premium.

I get it, honestly. If you have to worry about depreciation too much, where is the fun in driving anymore? Either you drive it and don't care or you just get a different car. 

thought you said you don't watch all these youtube guys Smiley

Italo:
    RC:

thought you said you don't watch all these youtube guys Smiley

I don't (anymore) but my son does... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

It has become a real sickness to ask so many questions about the resale value of Porsche.
    Of course, if you use your car a lot, it will be worth less than another. But on an exceptional model, you will limit any losses.

Life is short. you never know what tomorrow will be like.

there will be no 991 GT3 Cab but a 992 GT3 Cab, that's for sure.

As for the touring, it makes me laugh this story of better engine than the R.
    You noticed that the engine of the R has a special number that is not that of the 991.1 RS ?
    We do not really know what Porsche did, but it is so.
    moreover, the values ​​on the paper are the same but the R is faster on the 0-100 km / h than the touring.

Touring, it remains a GT3 without the wing, ie a car worse for the track than the GT3 from which it came but not at all a road car like the R.
    a bastard thing.

Targa Tim:
    Carlos from Spain:

this kind of answered my question

is the word "Speedster" worth so much money??Smiley

There is no right answer because it is subjective but that is the thing, this speedster is mostly the "word" as you say, it is very removed from the original concept, they didnt even bother with the lower windshield, so to me the appeal was not the speedsterness in it but rather the fact that is has the GT3 engine in an opentop configuration which is never seen before, and that has little to do with being a speedster. So if shortly after Porsche releases a 992GT3Cab, what is the appeal of the 991Speedster? The 992GT3Cab will offer the same opentop experience, with a newer improved GT3 engine, a chasis a generation more advanced, and possibly PDK option... for half the price.

The only way I see the Speedster make sense is if you don't loose any money because it kept its value over the next years, then yoy drive it for free and dont loose anything. At first I thought this may be the case but if the rumor of a 992GT3Cab is true (I find hard to believe but...) then I'm not so sure about how the Speedster may keep

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

18ef59a.jpg

kiss Here is the complete picture making it clear that GTx means "real" GT-cars only and does not include GTS Carrera cars (see 718 Cabrio, where the GT leg is missing).

Of course the scheme is showing a plan only and plans may change quickly these days at Porsche.

MMB_Platform_99_workshop.jpg

--

Daily Driver 991 Carrera T (June 2018), Canyon Carver 981 Spyder, Track Machine 997 GT3

Does the cloud mean that there is something planned which they don’t want to disclose yet, or more like “there is room there dor future expansion”?

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost, I guess the cloud is showing some Diesel parfume coming from Wolfsburg smiley I have no clue what the cloud stands for - I guess it's just a placeholder for any new ideas in the future such as "special models" (and we all know that Porsche is very creative in this department).

@ Carlos: as for Speedster pricing - of course we don't know yet the price tag of a future GT3 Cabrio, but I would not assume that it will be "only" 50% of the Speedster (more like 2/3 of the Speedster).

Though I agree with your overall assessment: I also can't see the added value (or should I say inflated pricetag) of the Speedster yes

--

Daily Driver 991 Carrera T (June 2018), Canyon Carver 981 Spyder, Track Machine 997 GT3

A cabrio GTS is going to top $180k, a GT3 cabriolet will be no less than $200k...

SciFrog:

A cabrio GTS is going to top $180k, a GT3 cabriolet will be no less than $200k...

Yes and both prices are insane... Smiley

I do not say that other manufacturers have done the same, look at the Huracan. The new Evo is 17k EUR more than the old one (OK, more standard options but still...). and hits 720S price territory. Smiley

As long as there are people willing to pay these prices thought... Smiley

--

Porsche-Jeck:

Of course the scheme is showing a plan only and plans may change quickly these days at Porsche.

you're right about changes that can occur

rickman:
    Porsche-Jeck:

you're right about changes that can occur

Oh yes...very quickly. Stupid EU and all that emissions stuff which puts car manufacturers under immense pressure. On the other hand, it was VW ignoring the dangers of the implication in that emissions scandal and the possible outcome. They have reacted completely wrong, now they (and unfortunately the rest of the car industry) got to face the consequences. Smiley

It gets even worse, wait until Euro 7... Smiley

--

Yes, and Euro 7 is only 4 years away - seems to be the end of high powered ICE only cars by then crying Let's enjoy our gas eating cars to the max as long as we can wink

--

RC:

As long as there are people willing to pay these prices thought... Smiley

The trend of price inflation for "luxury goods" will continue as long as the number of wealthy people (global scale) is growing (which still is the case) and interest rates in Euroland stay at close to zero.

Though my "analysis" may be completely wrong and we are just getting older dreaming of the old pricetags we were used to Smiley My brain is calibrated around the 100k number for a standard Carrera (give and take for some options on top): the number fitted through the last decade of the last century as well as for the first decade of the new century (o.k. - just the currency changed) Smiley My 2007 997 GT3 with most of the whistles and bells showed a pricetag of around 125 k Smiley- basically the same as a 2018 991 Carrera T with some options. When I was screening the market for new and slightly used Carreras (GTS variants) last year I was shocked to see cars with pricetags close to 200k (I guess insecure buyers who just ticked each and every box not to miss something important Smiley ). Of course there is no point in complaining or whining - just let's talk ourselves into that it's progress and everything will be o.k. Smiley

--

rickman:

there will be no 991 GT3 Cab but a 992 GT3 Cab, that's for sure.

As for the touring, it makes me laugh this story of better engine than the R.
    You noticed that the engine of the R has a special number that is not that of the 991.1 RS ?
    We do not really know what Porsche did, but it is so.
    moreover, the values ​​on the paper are the same but the R is faster on the 0-100 km / h than the touring.

Touring, it remains a GT3 without the wing, ie a car worse for the track than the GT3 from which it came but not at all a road car like the R.
    a bastard thing.

I would get a R anyday over a touring. the R can have Single Mass Fly Wheel and the car is full of exotic material. The touring is indeed nothing less than castrated GT3, pointless.

the R engine is an evolution of the 3RS engine with improved oiling path and diamond coated parts to address the lack of lubrification of early engines. this tech is currently installed in the latest replaced engine of the 991.1 GT3. R has the most evoluted engine.

The investment and value part is indeed annoying.

If you can't drive a car you just purchased because you are afraid it will lose too much, you need to buy something cheaper or you are a speculator...

For the speedster, it will be the same principle, full of exotic materials and GT3RS engine (probably with small evolution)  in the convertible body plus some specific cosmetic parts which will be exclusive i.e. the heritage package. 992 GT3 convertible will be a clone but a cheaper and heavier one.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    I would get a R anyday over a touring. the R can have Single Mass Fly Wheel and the car is full of exotic material. The touring is indeed nothing less than castrated GT3, pointless.

The Touring is no substitute for a 911R but I would not go that far, mon amis. I have a number of knowledgeable petrolhead acquaintances who can't see the fuss over the R and swear that the 4L engine in the Touring is much more of a lure.

Hey Crayphil, I am actually very happy to see that and people turning a blind eye on the R. I want one smiley so please ensure them the touring is the real deal and let’s spread this everywhere. 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

Hey Crayphil, I am actually very happy to see that and people turning a blind eye on the R. I want one smiley so please ensure them the touring is the real deal and let’s spread this everywhere. 

I want one too, if only for the single mass flywheel.

rickman:

It has become a real sickness to ask so many questions about the resale value of Porsche.

I don't know who you are addressing this to, but hopefully not me.

Everyone don't want to lose big money on their cars on resale.

I don't care about making money from them, and I keep my cars long term.  It is always a good feeling to know that one's cars are holding values.

I asked questions about Speedster and 992GT3cab because they will be very similar in driving, 992 has advantage of electric roof, and will be cheaper.

--

Tim

A 981 Spyder buddy of mine who's interested in buying the Speedster just received the news from the PZ in Germany that he only can lease the Speedster (he's certainly not on any black list - doesn't flip his cars) heartNot sure whether Porsche tries to implement a general new policy here with the aim to kill the flipping business with "special" models.

As for the single mass flywheel: that was a popular mod for the 997 GT3 cars (actually I did this with my own GT3 and love it). Is this not doable with the 991 cars also ?

--

DaveGordon also said something similar about required leasing of a 3RS.

With the new .2 GT3 4.0L motor, AP has said that a single-mass flywheel will damage the main bearings, due to the extra stiffness of the new hollow crankshaft.  Don't know if that's BS or not, but that was the reason given for the lack of the option...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:

DaveGordon also said something similar about required leasing of a 3RS.

Wow, other country - other model: sounds like a whole concept then indeed.

Thanks for the info on the tech background with the flywheel Smiley 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689786 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409353 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255807 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235028 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65556 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858119 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774198 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM