Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car

How airbrushed is the silver 992 in that comparison?  The fuel filler door disappeared!

waiting for PDK:

How airbrushed is the silver 992 in that comparison?  The fuel filler door disappeared!

Good eye about the vanishing fuel filler door, but what they did is flip the image of the 992, if you look at the center caps of the wheels, the Porsche crest is flipped lf to rt.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

CGX car nut:
    Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

It is the exact same car, 99.9% of the population would not make the difference... Boring.

You are correct. The 992 is a 991 but ate way too much over the holidays.

992 looks fat and u-athletic. And a 991 already looks fat. 

Respectfully disagree.  I have recently seen a couple of new 992s and am more impressed when see the car in the sheetmetal than in photographs.  It is quite sinewy despite having the wide body look.  May even order one with the new PDK, which would be a first non-manual Porsche in the garage.

Sorry but every 911 is huge from the 996 onwards. 

It doesn't take much boobs and ass to make a slim girl looks curvy, but once they are fat enough, no matter how big the boobs and ass are, they simply look.......fat!

--

So I'll go against the grain: I much prefer the 992.angry 

Spyderidol:

+1

Wait until you see the car "live" and drive it. Miles ahead of the 991

I hope not - I felt the 991 was streets ahead of the 997 I had (which was much better than the 996 and 993 I had) but I had no intentions in buying another 911 since they screwed me over for GT3 allocation.... 

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, XC90 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

I hope not - I felt the 991 was streets ahead of the 997 I had (which was much better than the 996 and 993 I had) but I had no intentions in buying another 911 since they screwed me over for GT3 allocation.... 

Don't deny yourself . It doesn't make a jot of difference to the dealer, you are just hurting yourself. I did not get an allocation for a 911R (big miss), GT3RS (big miss), GT2RS (big miss), or Speedster  (less of a miss) , but I'm still buying Porsches because they are great cars.

crayphile:
    bridggar:

Don't deny yourself . It doesn't make a jot of difference to the dealer, you are just hurting yourself. I did not get an allocation for a 911R (big miss), GT3RS (big miss), GT2RS (big miss), or Speedster  (less of a miss) , but I'm still buying Porsches because they are great cars.

+1 Also, the 992 will be a much better car than the 991. As for me, I’m no longer interested base Porshe models. They just are not stimulating or interesting. Smiley

--

Stress is man made.

Spyderidol:

Same

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2018 Mini JCW

Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

It is the exact same car, 99.9% of the population would not make the difference... Boring.

You are correct. The 992 is a 991 but ate way too much over the holidays.

992 looks fat and u-athletic. And a 991 already looks fat. 

Smiley

Don’t get me wrong, if buying a 911 today I would totally buy a 992 and not an older model, in some ways there is no real choice. Yet the size and weight along with the engine choices are going in the wrong direction.

SciFrog:

Don’t get me wrong, if buying a 911 today I would totally buy a 992 and not an older model, in some ways there is no real choice. Yet the size and weight along with the engine choices are going in the wrong direction.

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

ISUK:
    Rossi:
    ISUK:

Not bad. It only took 13 posts for the Official 992 thread to be hijacked for the Lambo Performante smiley

Well just imagine it would have been a R8... Smiley

I have a feeling we will all long for the "R8 days" as I suspect the forum is about to become Lamboteam Smiley

Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Actually, not a bad idea... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I saw a few pics of this GT3 RS and it reminded why so many customers are looking forward to seeing a Porsche 992 with a DUCKTAIL spoiler...

...thanks for listening Porsche! Smiley

Hmmm, so that is a Porsche Approved car despite having the wing completely removed?  

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

That would be a good color on the new 992!

This is a .1GT3RS. I suspect the owner may have removed the wing. I don’t believe Porsche made the car this way.

--

Stress is man made.

I like the look of the wingless RS, however everyone I've spoken with about the 992 so far, haven't considered a "duck tail". There is no too much buzz about it...so I wouldn't be so sure, that "many customers" are after this option yes

--

I really love the look of the neutered RS; it makes it look as 4 fenders with a little glass house in the middle. Really powerful and hunkered down. The beautiful blue shade adds to the "low key" idea of it... I would not feel comfortable with removing the wing though, ieven if at speeds up to 150km/h or so, there shouldn't be too  much negative feedback on the handling I think. On the other hand... why would you want an RS if you want a more subtle look? 

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

4trac:

Hmmm, so that is a Porsche Approved car despite having the wing completely removed?  

Smiley Smiley

--

N(ein) rated?

Best explanation I've heard for the N rating blush

Interview with Albrecht Reimold: "There is certainly nothing routine about 911 production" for Rennteam... Smiley

Albrecht Reimold, Executive Board member for Production, 2019, Porsche AG

(18 February 2019)

A factory for the Taycan, the first electric model from Porsche, is being constructed in Zuffenhausen – at the same time as production of the new 911 starts. In an interview, Albrecht Reimold, Executive Board member for Production, discusses links between the past and future at Porsche, as well as his passion for the 911.

Mr Reimold, you have plenty to juggle in Zuffenhausen just now – constructing a production facility for the electric Taycan, start of production of the new 911, and also increasing production efficiency overall. How would you describe a typical working day? 

Very busy! I have been in the automotive industry for 30 years now, and I can honestly say that establishing a new production facility running at full capacity, with new technology and processes, on a brownfield site – in other words an urban development site – is my biggest challenge yet. And I’ve had to overcome plenty of those over the last three decades. If I had to break my working day down, I would say 20% is taken up by corporate strategy, and at least another 20% goes on production preparation for the fully electric Porsche Taycan – though start of production of the new 911 also requires a lot of attention. Then we have to consider that Leipzig is still a huge site, and keeping staff happy and motivated is also very important for me.

How do you do that; do you entertain them? 

I’m not sure if “entertain” is exactly right, but certainly ensuring that our employees have a passion for Porsche is a really important task. Every Porsche should promise its buyer many years of driving pleasure, and that kind of passion and joy only gets infused into our products if employees enjoy what they do and identify with the company and its cars. That is why fostering a leadership culture is very close to my heart, and a responsibility that I take very seriously.

Compared with constructing a production plant for the electric Taycan, is the start-up of an established model such as the 911 rather a routine project? 

No, there’s really no such thing with Porsche production. While we do of course seek to minimise complexity in production, assembling vehicles in 60-second production cycles is not something we are aiming for, and is certainly not how we approach the Porsche 911. We see extremely high demand for customisation of our iconic sports cars, and it goes without saying that this is reflected in production. As such, we chiefly work with suppliers who are not focused on mass production, and we expend a lot of time and energy in selection, quality assurance and control, so we always have the perfect material available in the right place at the right time. There’s no aspect that you could describe as an easy routine.

Production workshop Porsche 911, 2019, Porsche AG

The Taycan, your first exclusively electric model, is currently dominating headlines for Porsche. We are rather worried that the 911 will become something of a stalwart – a model that only exists to maintain the brand image and make the margins needed to complete the changeover to electric... 

I can put your mind at rest there. In all of its generations, the Porsche 911 has been an icon, and that will not change. We are working hard to create a new icon with the next generation 911, and we’re having a great time doing it. I’m always fascinated by just how popular our cars are with customers, especially the derivatives such as the GT3 and GT2. When I came to Zuffenhausen two and a half years ago, 200 cars a day were being built – now it is 250.

Will you increase capacity again for the new Porsche 911?

This year we have already made great strides towards increasing productivity so that we can meet market demand. As well as production optimisation, a series of Saturday shifts have also been added. We have a great system in place, which allows us to find out what orders are coming in from dealers, and with which package – this means we can plan our capacities accordingly. But we don’t want to upgrade technical production just so that we are up to 300 units; we would rather leave the line at 250 units, and continue to focus on production preparations for the Taycan.

Albrecht Reimold, Executive Board member for Production, 2019, Porsche AG

Reimold: “The Porsche 911 has been an icon, and that will not change” 

What does the ramp-up plan for the new Porsche 911 look like? 

At the end of Q1 or start of Q2 2019, we will ramp up to peak production again before dipping below the peak, though not significantly so. In recent years we have established a principle that has served us well at Porsche, which is to avoid huge variations during model changes. This very simple principle allows derivatives of the current model – such as the Targa or Turbo – to run alongside ramp-up of the new generation 911. The overlap normally lasts around one and a half years. This process gives production time to breathe and take stock, depending on demand.

Let’s talk about the Taycan production facility which is currently under construction: you are strongly focusing on driverless transport systems (DTS) and somewhat moving away from lines. To what extent will this approach find its way into 911 production? 

The “flexi-line” offers huge benefits in terms of flexibility and investment – we’re talking about savings of around 30-40% here. But a brownfield plant like the one used for 911 production just cannot be converted overnight.

So you’re saying that the 911 will stick with the classic mode of production? 

Yes. Starting production of a brand-new car – like the Porsche Taycan – in a completely new production facility requires major investment in new technology, as converting existing systems is not actually cost effective per se. The situation may be different in five to ten years. Of course, production efficiency will still increase considerably with the new Porsche 911, but this improvement will take place within the existing production system.

In practice, would that mean that there will be two separate plants on one site, with the Porsche 911 and Taycan being produced separately?

No, there is some overlap of course; starting with the logistics processes, and we are also building a new paint shop that all models could be painted in. We have built lots of flexibility into production so that the 911 can also be produced in the Taycan assembly plant – though not vice versa.

Does that mean that if the Taycan does not get off to as strong a start as anticipated, you could utilise the line for a combustion engine model?

Yes, we have the technical capacity to do that; but we are absolutely certain that it won’t be required. Based on feedback from the market, the calculation of 20,000 Porsche Taycan models in the first year may be a rather conservative estimate. I’ve had the pleasure of driving the car myself, and I can only say it’s absolutely fantastic! Which is the response we’ve been hearing from all sides.

Insights into Porsche production 4.0, 2018, Porsche AG

Reimold about the Taycan: “The calculation of 20,000 models in the first year may be conservative”

While we’re talking about it, what role does e-mobility play in the Porsche 911?

It’s still a rather minor one because customers expect the 911 to be what it is. But it’s not entirely out of mind. For example, we have designed the model to enable drivetrain electrification – hybridisation in other words, so we would be ready to implement a change like that.

What has changed for the new Porsche 911 from a production viewpoint? 

Lightweight construction is a central issue, as is the plant restructuring that comes with it. For the outer shell, we have completely changed over to aluminium, and we are assembling the bodies in the new body shop which we also use to produce bodywork for the Porsche Taycan. This approach is not just about lightweight construction and increasing efficiency, but also improving the outer shell quality.

A key issue for you has been the establishment of your own tool and die shop. How important has that been in developing the outer shell? 

Absolutely vital. There’s a real art to perfecting the shapes and curves of a 911: nothing is “off the peg” here. And you can’t attain perfection with generic tooling. Ultimately, we decided to start producing all our own tooling because without an in-house tool and die shop,  it would not have been possible for us to switch over to aluminium bodywork.       

Link:  https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2019/company/porsche-production-interview-albrecht-reimold-taycan-911-16993.html

"Porsche 911 (992): new GT3 snapped cold weather testing" (Car magazine)

Porsche 911 (992): new GT3 snapped cold weather testing

(19 February 2019)

The new Porsche 911 (codenamed 992) has already been revealed, but we're still waiting for the hotter, more driver-focused GT3 and GT2 specials. In the meantime, our spy photographers have snapped the forthcoming GT3 out cold weather testing, and it's looking stealthy – though that's partly down to the matte-black paint. Most of the important bits such as the new front splitter are completely covered – and although we love that rear spoiler, it doesn't look production-spec to us.

And how do we know it's a GT3? Those centre-lock wheels, vented-bonnet and centrally-mounted dual exhausts give the game away. CAR understands that the width of the 992 GT models will not be increased over the standard Carrera S body, and although that sounds disappointing at first, this new GT3 looks to have lost none of the old model's road presence. Perhaps that's because the standard 992 is now wider than the stock 991.2. 

Word is it could appear as early as the 2019 Frankfurt motor show.

Link: https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/porsche/911-992/

1538770913308image.gif

A few more 992 GT3 mule pics testing in cold and warmer weather... wink

Smiley

Hard to see at this point how they are going to make the wing work aesthetically with the 992 rear styling. 

KMM:

Hard to see at this point how they are going to make the wing work aesthetically with the 992 rear styling. 

I fear the same, the rear looks way too busy to accommodate a wing. Touring all the way for me for the next GT3.

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porsche: How the new 911 got its “drive”  1550096185373image.gif

The powertrain of the new 911 Carrera is even more efficient and powerful than its predecessor. Read all about how the engineers in Weissach revamped the classic 3-litre six-cylinder boxer engine here.

(13 February 2019)

The tried-and-trusted six-cylinder boxer engine with twin-turbo has been optimised again in terms of power output, torque and emissions, for use in the two new 992 type 911 models – the 911 Carrera S and 911 Carrera 4S. At 331 kW (450 PS; combined cycle fuel consumption 9.0 l/100 km; combined cycle CO2emissions 206 g/km), the powertrain now generates 22 kW (30 PS) and 530 Nm torque, which is exactly 30 Nm more than its predecessor. The maximum torque lies between 2,300 and 5,000 rpm.

Six-cylinder boxer engine, 2019, Porsche AG

Optimised in terms of power output, torque and emissions: the six-cylinder boxer engine

This enhancement has been achieved with new concepts from our Porsche engineers and fine tuning inside the water-cooled boxer engine, as well as various measures around the engine. The interaction also enhances revving power and performance, improves response and torque curve, and not least, increases powertrain stability.

Fine tuning inside the engine

New features include the aluminium crankcase, as well as cylinder heads with flow-optimised inlet and exhaust ports. To facilitate the use of VarioCam Plus valve timing technology, the valve lifts of the two inlet valves have been configured to be different on each cyflinder: an asymmetric small valve lift means that the air intake is displaced at low speeds and loads into an additional swirl flap to improve mixing with the injected fuel, making the combustion process more robust. The measures reduce consumption and harmful emissions.

VarioCam Plus, 2019, Porsche AG

VarioCam Plus: The valve lifts have been configured to be different on each cylinder

The new direct fuel injection (DFI) system with piezo injector, which opens outwards and is centrally positioned in the combustion chamber, has a similar effect. These modifications allow the injection valves to open and close far more quickly, to supply a finer fuel mist, and to ensure high-quality distribution of very small, precise quantities, up to five times per combustion cycle.

New turbocharger core

Growth increases power output. This also applies when it comes to the two turbochargers of the six-cylinder engine in the eighth-generation 911. The compressor and turbine sides have been expanded and a redesigned turbo manifold is now made from cast metal rather than sheet metal. In contrast to the predecessor model the chargers are arranged symmetrically, with the compressor and turbine wheels on the right and left charger turning in opposing directions, which optimises the flow ratios as well as the charger’s response.

Turbocharger, 2019, Porsche AG

Porsche 911 Carrera S/4S turbocharger

To optimise the exhaust tract flow through the manifold, the exhaust turbocharger and catalytic converters, the chargers have been arranged symmetrically. This takes account of the tight package conditions typical to sports cars. Electric flaps help widen the opening angle of the wastegate valve, the diameter of which has been increased. This is designed to optimise catalytic converter heating. The maximum boost pressure is now 1.2 bar.

The completely redesigned and expanded intercoolers also help optimise power output. These are now positioned directly above the engine and therefore centrally under the rear engine cover, which significantly improves the air intake and exhaust. This development has greatly improved engine efficiency and re-cooling. As a result of this adjustment, the air filter, which in the previous generation was fitted in this exact position under the rear wing, had to be split into two and installed sideways into the rear mudguards.

8-speed dual-clutch transmission, 2019, Porsche AG

The 8-speed dual-clutch transmission is designed to ensure better shift performance

The 8-speed dual-clutch transmission is a completely new feature which is fitted as standard in the 911 Carrera with rear-wheel drive and in the Carrera 4S with four-wheel drive. The greater spread compared with the 7-speed dual-clutch transmission in the 991 is designed to ensure better shift performance, more driving comfort and greater efficiency all round.

Harmonious gear ratio spread

As top speed is reached in sixth gear, eighth gear is designed as an additional overdrive to seventh gear – a measure that Porsche engineers have implemented to improve matching of gear ratio increments and shifting to sixth gear. As such, first gear has a shorter gear ratio, which better matches lower gears to the turbocharged engines. Furthermore, the gear ratio spread is now far more harmonious and provides another method via which to reduce consumption. This last objective is also enhanced by a regulated oil pump which controls pressure for all gear shifts and clutch processes as required, and therefore reduces loss of power.

To better coordinate vehicle starting, engine speed has been adopted as a new control parameter in place of the clutch function. A change of control parameters makes for more harmonious gear changing. Shift performance at high speed and loads is improved through use of the “lightning quick shift” systems familiar to drivers of the 991 generation of the 911 GT.

These systems are activated when manually changing up the gears and in automatic mode when Sport Plus mode is active, and they have been further optimised compared with their predecessors. Our engineers have installed an additional “filling bypass” in the clutch hydraulics and have adapted the software control accordingly. This ensures the new 911 Carrera is very quick off the mark, with a speed of 0-100 km/h in 3.5 seconds (911 Carrera S) or 3.4 seconds (911 Carrera 4S) – making these models 0.4 seconds faster than their equivalent predecessors.

Gasoline particulate filter, 2019, Porsche AG

Porsche 911 Carrera S/4S exhaust system with gasoline particulate filter

A new feature of the eighth-generation 911 is the gasoline particulate filter (GPF), a technical innovation which makes the 992 and all other Porsche combustion engines to come, future-fit in terms of exhaust emissions. It uses enclosed ceramic filters. Exhaust gases are fed through alternately sealed channels, forcing the gas to flow through the walls of the particulate filter. The particulates are then burned off in an automatic regeneration process.

Link: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2019/technology/porsche-911-carrera-type-992-powertrain-boxer-engine-16978.html

Thanks for posting!

^So they've replaced the side silencers with the GPF?

Very big intake to the GPF: maybe GPF won't be as big of problem as we fear?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690586 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409824 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256060 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235292 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4699 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858507 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774771 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM