Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayman GT4

Gnil:
    Enzo II:

So what is Porsche bringing to Geneva?

Just received my invitation from Porsche . They mention the 992  + one world première 

At the 2019 Geneva International Motor Show, Porsche will have the world premiere of... Smiley

• 718 Cayman GT4
    • 718 Cayman GT4 RS
    • 718 Boxster Spyder
    • 992 GT3
    • 992 GT3 Touring
    • 992 GT3 RS
    • 992 GT3 RS Touring
    • 992 Club Sport
    • 992 R
    • 992 Speedster
    • 960 Coupe
    • 960 GT
    • 960 RS
    • 935 road-car
    • Taycan production model

1549395776374image.jpeg

...all of the above? Smiley

I would say 991 Speedster, production version

yes

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    Gnil:
    Enzo II:

So what is Porsche bringing to Geneva?

Just received my invitation from Porsche . They mention the 992  + one world première 

At the 2019 Geneva International Motor Show, Porsche will have the world premiere of... Smiley

• 718 Cayman GT4
    • 718 Cayman GT4 RS
    • 718 Boxster Spyder
    • 992 GT3
    • 992 GT3 Touring
    • 992 GT3 RS
    • 992 GT3 RS Touring
    • 992 Club Sport
    • 992 R
    • 992 Speedster
    • 960 Coupe
    • 960 GT
    • 960 RS
    • 935 road-car
    • Taycan production model

1549395776374image.jpeg

...all of the above? Smiley

You forgot to mention the GT6 and GT7 models!!!

And the Porsche Tincan, and Taymera.

--

Enzo II:

I would say 991 Speedster, production version

which will be pretty much what was at Paris. But with the WLTP homologation.

in the 981 era, the GT4 was launched abour a year alter the GTS. Now in the 718 era will be almost two years.

The homologation mess is taking it's toll.

DaveC:

992s are  easily $150K and up but Porsche is going to offer a 718 GT4 w/ a GT3 engine, regardless the state of tune, for around $100K and some change??

It is not like we can actually buy a GT3 so why do you think the would make that many gt4?  I get that the GT3 motor is more expensive but how much would a small run of the other n/a engine cost?  Seems silly to keep both alive since the one is not being used for any other purpose.  I’m just st saying. Charging 25-30 k more should cover th engine cost plus nice profit. Limited number keeps the other models safe.  I just don’t see it making sense to not use the GT3 motor. 

Leawood911:
    DaveC:

992s are  easily $150K and up but Porsche is going to offer a 718 GT4 w/ a GT3 engine, regardless the state of tune, for around $100K and some change??

It is not like we can actually buy a GT3 so why do you think the would make that many gt4?  I get that the GT3 motor is more expensive but how much would a small run of the other n/a engine cost?  Seems silly to keep both alive since the one is not being used for any other purpose.  I’m just st saying. Charging 25-30 k more should cover th engine cost plus nice profit. Limited number keeps the other models safe.  I just don’t see it making sense to not use the GT3 motor. 

That's according to you, not Porsche.

--

GT3 Engine in a Cayman, what's left to 911? which is the holy grail...

What makes sense for you as a customer doesn't necessary makes the same sense for the manufacturer...especially with the higher and higher price within the line up, if you don't protect few models here and there, your business plan is on a good way to failure.

GT3 and the RS version have an aura of very special cars and help to sell the rest of the lineup.

GT4 is the doorstep to the special line of PAG, not one of them.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

What makes sense for you as a customer doesn't necessary makes the same sense for the manufacturer...especially with the higher and higher price within the line up, if you don't protect few models here and there, your business plan is on a good way to failure.

GT3 and the RS version have an aura of very special cars and help to sell the rest of the lineup.

Yep...the GT line makes money now and they badly need it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    the-missile:

That's VAG, not Porsche.

--

Whoopsy:
    RC:
    the-missile:

That's VAG, not Porsche.

Smiley ... The thing is: WLTP certification gave them a huge blow last year... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    Whoopsy:
    RC:
    the-missile:

That's VAG, not Porsche.

Smiley ... The thing is: WLTP certification gave them a huge blow last year... Smiley

It disrupted production plans, but they make enough cars and enough profit on each that they are not hurting.

Top 5 Porsche market

1 China

2 USA

3 Germany

4 UK

5 Canada

Only Germany and UK was affected. Not a big deal.

--

Third and fourth largest markets affected...I don't know, I think this hurt them. Especially since business in Germany increased by 13% (2018 vs 2017), the strongest increase of all markets. 

We'll see when the new numbers are out. Porsche increased deliveries in the first nine months of 2018 by 6% but I kind of have the feeling that the remaining 3 months gave them a blow, so it might be 0% increase in total for 2018. Just a wild guess though...

WLTP certification affected the whole EU market, not only Germany and the UK and the EU market is bigger for Porsche than the US market (Porsche delivered in 2018 14000 more cars to the EU market than to the US).

--

***** Porsche Cayman GT4 to be at Geneva and Goodwood Festival of Speed *****

"The latest version of Stuttgart's midship sports car will use a 420hp 4.0-litre flat six" (PistonHeads)

Porsche's GT department is lining up the fastest and most focused Cayman yet for arrival ahead of the Goodwood Festival of Speed this July, where the GT4 will make a dynamic debut in all its 4.0-litre flat six glory. PH has learned that the car will be revealed statically before then, but it'll be the Duke of Richmond's driveway which provides us with the first chance to hear how its new 911 GT3-sourced motor sounds.

As much as we'd love the GT-built six to rev as high as 9,000rpm, like it does in the GT3, we're expecting a few hundred revs to be chopped from its top-end along with a 15 per cent decrease in peak output to about 420hp. Still, a mid-engined sports car that revs to, say, 8,500rpm and can hit 62mph in about four seconds doesn't sound too bad, does it? Especially when it's due to come with a - rejoice - manual gearbox as standard. Sure, a PDK auto is due to follow, but there's nothing like three pedals and lever to signal a manufacturer's intent when it comes to producing a proper driver's car Mk2.

The rest of the new GT4 will be an example of evolution rather than revolution, unsurprisingly, so expect more lightweight tech to be employed within its chassis, including exotic metals in the suspension and wheel hubs, as well as lightweight forged wheels. Spotted test cars have worn even more aggressive external aero pieces, the most prominent of which is a larger fixed rear wing, but there's also a new front lip and the diffuser splits the two pipes of the exhaust system. Inside, the cabin is expected to stay largely the same as the regular 718, barring GT bucket seats and swathes of Alcantara.

Numerous sightings of the GT4 at the Nurburgring suggest Porsche could also announce a new lap time when the car is launched - it is a 21st century sports car after all. While the GT4 isn't going to blitz it to the top of the Stuttgart leaderboard - that title will probably be held by the 911 GT2 RS and its 6:47 for quite a while - given the rate of the GT department's development, we could be looking at a big improvement over the old 981 model.

Link:  https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-germancars/next-porsche-cayman-gt4-due-this-spring/39569

Preview: 2019 Geneva Motor Show

Porsche - 911 Cabriolet, Cayman GT4

"It's possible that Porsche will simply rock up to Geneva with the new 911 Cabriolet and 718 Boxster/Cayman T and leave it at that. However, given that we know the new GT4 is due for reveal ahead of its dynamic debut at the Festival of Speed, and the manufacturer chose Switzerland for the last model's premiere in 2015, it's also perfectly possible that next month will see the covers removed from one of the industry's most desirable sports cars. What are we expecting? Nothing less than that 4.0-litre flat-six plumbed into the 718, with a manual 'box and all the lightweight trimmings. Pinch us." 

Link:  https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-shows/ph-preview-2019-geneva-motor-show/39602

Smiley

That sounds to me like they will be using the GT3 motor. Like I have been saying for a long long time. Thank you in advance 🙄

Its a 4L in four HP configurations. 

• 370-380hp Boxster/Cayman 6...yes, that is what its called, 718 Cayman 6.
    • 425hp GT4 manual only
    • 485hp GT4 RS late 2020 or early 2021. PDK only. Very limited car
    • And somewhere in between they will squeeze a special Boxster Anniversary with possibly 450hp.

Smiley

Pnine11:

Its a 4L in four HP configurations. 

• 370-380hp Boxster/Cayman 6...yes, that is what its called, 718 Cayman 6.
    • 425hp GT4 manual only
    • 485hp GT4 RS late 2020 or early 2021. PDK only. Very limited car
    • And somewhere in between they will squeeze a special Boxster Anniversary with possibly 450hp.

Smiley

Bravo! Smiley Welcome to Rennteam!  Smiley 

Pnine11's inaugural post wins Rennteam "Post of the Day"! Smiley

1549803393202image.jpeg

Many thanks and congratulations! Smiley

we are again at 4.0L for base GT4 enlightened 3.8L is that so difficult to get it?

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

"Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport Shows Loud Exhaust Sound in Real-Life Footage"

(10 February 2019)

The road car is set to make its debut soon and, meanwhile, Zuffenhausen has released the 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport, which is the circuit version of the toy.

We've all seen the official media of the new GT4 CS, but the piece of footage at the bottom of the page allows us to check out the real-world side of the racecar. The soundtrack of the clip comes from the 3.8-liter flat-six heart of the mid-engined beast, with the naturally aspirated mill showcasing its splendid voice.

In case you're wondering, the Monza circuit in Italy is the one hosting the shenanigan. We're actually talking about a testing session that also included the new Porsche 935, a racecar that took the world by surprise last year (this is another story for another time, though).

Speaking of surprises, very few people expected Porsche to upgrade the 3.8L engine for the 718 Cayman GT Clubsport, as the carmaker could've used the new 4.0-liter mill from the 991.2 GT3 and GT3 RS instead.

Nevertheless, Zuffenhausen explained that it kept the unit in place since customers who raced it had time to become familiar to the thing. And the changes required to bring it from 385 to 425 hp aren't that serious, with the most important part being the new air intake.

Now, it's important to remember that the Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 (the road car) isn't expected to use the same unit, with this set to bring the said 4.0-liter boxer to the game. Of course, with the unit delivering 500 hp on the GT3 and 525 ponies on the GT3 RS, its output will sit closer to 400 horses for the mid-engined special.

As with the previous generation, while the CS version comes with a PDK, we'll probably only receive the street version with a manual, even though the rumor mill enjoys mentioning the possibility of an optional dual-clutch tranny for the street model. 

Link:  https://www.autoevolution.com/news/porsche-718-cayman-gt4-clubsport-shows-loud-exhaust-sound-in-real-life-footage-132258.html

Smiley

Leawood911:

That sounds to me like they will be using the GT3 motor. Like I have been saying for a long long time. Thank you in advance 🙄

Once more. Sounds like the GT3 motor in detuned format. 

Hi Leawood911:
    Leawood911:

If it doesn’t have dry sump, Titanium conrods, hollow crankshaft, solid lifters, or high redline, is it still the same engine?

Just a guess on my part...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

The interesting development is that the introduction of the new Cayman GT4 may also signal the re-introduction of the six-cylinder engine for the Cayman 6 and Boxster 6, which would be an excellent decision! Smiley

In terms of nomenclature, it is worth keeping in mind the history of the Porsche Carrera 6... Smiley

1549828756754image.jpeg

...so that might get a mention in the press release! Smiley

718 6 will leave the GTS buyers very happy....Smiley

xpto:

Porsche never had a history of keeping buyers of different trim of a certain car happy.

--

Not sure how exciting a 4.0L with only 425hp would feel from a driving perspective.  Yes, it could have a nice broad torque band which is beneficial in the real world, I just wonder if it will be lacking a sparkling top end rush as you climb to a 8k rpm redline.  This would sort of be like a Corvette motor in Cayman.  Highly effective in moving the car, but a very different experience to the GT3 engine.  

Anyway, 425hp is enough for me in a roadgoing Cayman.  Particularly if it has tighter gearing.

Grant:
    Hi Leawood911:
    Leawood911:

If it doesn’t have dry sump, Titanium conrods, hollow crankshaft, solid lifters, or high redline, is it still the same engine?

Just a guess on my part...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I’m sure my motor is missing some GT1 parts left behind at LeMans but it still beats the others. So yes, even with those parts missing it is a nice piece of kit as the British would say. 

Whoopsy:
    xpto:

Porsche never had a history of keeping buyers of different trim of a certain car happy.

True

and the price point will be higher.

xpto:

I assume "718" name will be dropped when the "Cayman 6" is launched...

The GT4 originally was intended to bring the GT line to a lower price point. A GT3 engine in the next generation cannot serve that purpose. However if Porsche intends to take the 992 GT3 and RS much further upmarket, then a $140-150K GT4 detuned GT3 4L would be an entry level GT.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

DaveC:

The GT4 originally was intended to bring the GT line to a lower price point. A GT3 engine in the next generation cannot serve that purpose. However if Porsche intends to take the 992 GT3 and RS much further upmarket, then a $140-150K GT4 detuned GT3 4L would be an entry level GT.

Be realistic. For them to not use the GT3 motor they would need to bring back to life the old 991 six banger just for the gt4. And all that expense of two n/a six bangers one of which is a heavy favorite over the other. Why?  Just to keep 911 drivers superior?  They already solved this problem with the GT3. They simply don’t make too many. Problem solved. Plus charge any amount you want since they won’t make enough of them. Pretty simple if you ask me. On the other hand a small run of the non GT3 six bangers makes zero sense and would cost likely twice as much per car due to the tiny numbers and emission test and other regulations. The only purpose would be to keep the 911 on top. Hell the old gt4 was already quicker than he base 911 so who would care. 

The deal is done. Looks like it will be the GT3 motor in the gt4. No need to say I was correct. I get you guys are not ever going throw me a crumb or consider my opinions of any value. No worries. I’m entertained by my own thoughts more than by others. Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688228 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408581 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255484 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234704 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65333 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857460 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773172 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM