Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Sticky: yes Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos)

You're running out of room on your boyscout sash there RC. indecision

Porsche researches synthetic fuels...

Although synthetic fuels are considered a realistic alternative to make car traffic more climate-friendly, availability is poor. Porsche wants to change this. “With electricity alone, you can't move forward fast enough,” says Michael Steiner, who is in charge of R&D at Porsche.

(2 September 2020)

911 Targa, 911 Targa 4S, 2020, Porsche AG

Although synthetic fuels are considered a realistic alternative to make car traffic more climate-friendly, availability is poor. Porsche wants to change this. “With electricity alone, you can't move forward fast enough,” says Michael Steiner, who is in charge of R&D at Porsche.

In the future, Porsche wants to significantly and independently drive forward the development of synthetic fuels, known as eFuels. “This technology is particularly important because the combustion engine will continue to dominate the automotive world for many years to come,” says Michael Steiner, Member of the Executive Board, Research and Development. "If you want to operate the existing fleet in a sustainable manner, eFuels are a fundamental component."

"We have a team that is looking for suitable partners who want to build pilot plants with us and prove that the entire process chain works and can be industrialised," says Steiner. “Porsche wants to help shape this chain, but at the same time, doesn't want to define it down to the smallest detail alone.”

Michael Steiner, Member of the Executive Board Research and Development, 2020, Porsche AG

Michael Steiner underlined the importance of eFuels during the "Porsche Tech Talk".

eFuels are produced from CO2 and hydrogen using renewable energy. In terms of their basic properties, they are no different from kerosene, diesel or petrol processed from crude oil. However, they can ideally be a climate-neutral fuel.

With the Taycan, Porsche already has a purely electrically powered model in its range, and many model ranges now have hybrid options available. But this is not enough ... "Electric mobility is an exciting and convincing technology but, taken on its own, it is taking us towards our sustainability targets at a slower pace than we would like," explains Steiner. "That's why we are also committing to eFuels –  and not ignoring possible applications in motor sports either.”

Demand for eFuels despite increasing electrification 

Although Porsche plans for half of all its vehicles sold to be electric by 2025, the existing fleet is large. "Our cars are driven for a very, very long time," emphasises Steiner. “And, while our hybrid vehicles are powered electrically for short distances, they rely on their combustion engines over longer distances.”

Porsche is not thinking of taking the pure combustion engine out of the product range and focusing solely on hybrids and electric cars. "We are convinced that these three drive technologies will survive on the market in the medium term," affirms Steiner. Fuel cells, on the other hand, are not currently in the sports car manufacturer’s future plans.

356, 911 Targa 4S Heritage Design Edition, 911 Targa, 2020, Porsche AG

In the future, both current and historical models of the existing fleet should be able to benefit from eFuels.

Steiner would like to be able to influence the specifications of a new synthetic fuel: "We absolutely want to help with this process so that the fuel is suitable for high-performance engines.” Problems like those encountered with the introduction of E10 should not be repeated. "When E10 came onto the market, the blend had some disadvantages. It must be different this time: it must have advantages." 

Steiner admits that it is far more efficient to simply charge an electric car with regenerative energy directly on the spot than to use it to produce a synthetic fuel in an elaborate process. However, he does not want to accept this argument forever either. "If humanity succeeds in using the regenerative energy that is available in surplus worldwide, we can prioritise sustainability over efficiency.”

For CO2 fleet emissions, however, the use of eFuels would not currently help. "For us, it would actually not be creditable here and now in the vehicle fleet," says Steiner. "But there are countries like Switzerland that are moving in this direction.” Steiner believes it would be wrong to wait for new legal requirements to be introduced. "If we all always wait until all the regulatory issues have been dealt with and only then start to develop, it will be too late".

Link: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/company/porsche-research-synthetic-fuels-efuels-development-22026.html

Smiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

A Sunset (Boulevard) Porsche 911 Safari...

Matt Farah, ’87 3.2 Carrera, 2019, Porsche AG

Meet automotive journalist Matt Farah’s solution to urban travel...

(4 January 2020)

Not all city cars are born equal. Well, not according to world-renowned automotive journalist, Matt Farah. Shortly after moving out to the west coast of America from New York, Farah realised that the crumbling infrastructure in LA made his daily drive more like an expedition down a back-country trail than a traditional city commute. From the monstrous expansion joints on Interstate 405 to the cracked roads in downtown Venice Beach, only his Baja inspired pick-up truck was capable of smoothing out the various lumps and bumps. 

”Although we are blessed with places like the Angeles Forest and Malibu Canyons, two of the finest places on Earth to drive a sports car, the city itself is a nightmare,” Farah explains. “The infrastructure is crumbling, repairs are rarely thorough, the freeway expansion joints are a sports car owner’s worst nightmare, and for a city as ‘spread out’ as LA is, it’s awfully crowded all the time. It can be a real challenge in low, modern sports cars.” 

’87 3.2 Carrera, 2019, Porsche AG

Which is why his Raptor pick-up with its off-road suspension set-up and huge sidewalls was, as he puts it, a “gamechanger”. But of course, while Baja-inspired trucks ride well, they’re ultimately too unwieldly for tight city streets – even in car-friendly LA. So what was the solution? For Matt, the answer was easy: “I wanted something like the Raptor, but smaller, so the obvious answer was a rally car. Once I drove Leh Keen’s personal Safari 911, it was like a light bulb moment.” 

"For a city as ‘spread out’ as LA is, it’s awfully crowded all the time. It can be a real challenge in low, modern sports cars.”   —  Matt Farah

A two time Grand Am Rolex GT Champion and lifelong Porsche fanatic, Leh Keen has spent the last half a decade designing and building Safari 911 for people who want the ultimate go-anywhere vehicle. Matt, being a rather well-connected chap, got the opportunity to drive Leh’s first Safari build (that’s right, car No. 1) for his show on the /DRIVE network and although Matt admits the concept, “is totally different to what most people think you should be doing with a 911” he was sold. “I sent him a deposit check almost immediately afterwards.”

As part of what is known as ‘The Keen Project’, Leh is happy to either source a donor car for the customer (the base car must be a G-Body 911 from 1979 to 1989), or they find their own. Matt went with the latter option as he wanted to choose “the colour, the year and the interior.” 

For Matt, it was particularly important to have a 1987-1989 G-body with the G50 gearbox as “it has a more direct shift feel”, so he settled on an ’87 3.2 Carrera in striking Cassis Red; a rare and retro hue that he decided to preserve with an Xpel car wrap, rather than repaint – something the majority of buyers choose to do when moving to a rally spec. 

It was a decision Matt wasn’t sure about at first: “The colour was actually a bit of a controversy. I had originally planned to paint any car I found Dalmatian Blue, which is probably my favourite Porsche colour of all time. I was just looking for any clean coupe with a G50 gearbox and straight body. As luck would have it, the guy I bought the car from was not exactly Annie Leibovitz, and photographed the car at high noon, which makes Cassis Red look horrific; like Cyndi Lauper’s lip gloss. I was sort of down on the colour on Instagram and said I was going to paint it, which caused a bit of a ruckus with the purists. It was priced cheap and seemed to have nothing else wrong with it. When I got there to pick it up and saw that the colour was actually incredible, I decided immediately not to paint it. I frequently get ‘I told you so’ from the fans. Honestly, I’m gonna take some credit for the fact that Cassis Red is cool again.” 

After finding his unusually pristine donor car, it was shipped straight out to Keen in Atlanta for a new interior and the fitment of the Baja-inspired hardware. The parts list reads like a Tamiya brochure: bash bars, skid plates, rally light pods, shaved side door mirrors, tucked bumpers, Braid motorsport Fuchs wheels, Elephant Racing Safari suspension, a Quaife limited-slip differential and BF Goodrich K02 tyres – the same tyres, coincidentally, that are used on his pick-up truck. 

For the cabin, Matt opted for what he describes as an aggressive interior design: “Leh actually found the commercial grade LA city bus fabric and when I saw it, I was sold almost instantly. The car came with factory Burgundy full leather, and was in incredible condition, so we were able to retain the headliner, door uppers, dash upper, and base carpet. We were nervous if the bus fabric was going to work with the Burgundy leather, but it worked out. The hardest part was the matching leather MOMO Prototipo steering wheel; apparently it took the guy like 20 tries to make it work, and I had a temporary black steering wheel for like six months. But it’s basically the Pasha concept really turned up to crazy, and it’s also super functional because that fabric is designed to last 20 years in a bus; it’ll probably outlast the rest of the car”. 

After some engine work on its return, the car was ready for the road. The finished build couldn’t be further removed from what most drivers would consider to be a ‘city car’, but for Matt, it is perfect. “It is literally my daily driver. I recently loaded three bushels of firewood behind the rear seats. I mean – it’s not meant for attacking the canyons or going to the racetrack, it’s meant for going to the shops, driving to my office, running errands and then taking to the dirt for some fun. It really is the best parts of a Baja truck and the best parts of an air-cooled 911.” 

It seems city cars don’t have to boring. They just have to be fit for LA’s urban safari.

Article Link: https://www.newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/sport-lifestyle/porsche-sunset-safari-matt-farah-87-3-2-carrera-19561.html

Matt Gets His Keen Project Safari 911! City First Drive!

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTl4iK0AuVU

Smiley 

It must be about time for Porsche to unveil the new 911 GT3 Safari model...  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

460C5C1F-6B23-4295-9C10-C5B9385200EC.jpeg

3809A6E3-2710-4EFC-B516-15CB8170FE01.jpeg

44E04D64-31DC-409E-94F2-E80E6FB8D2BB.jpeg

Smiley

I wonder what Porsche 992 model is going to be announced next...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

Smiley

These pictures are from a while ago already, aren't they? I recall seeing them on Porsche Facebook or so.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost:

These pictures are from a while ago already, aren't they? I recall seeing them on Porsche Facebook or so.

Porsche GB message on Twitter on 24 September 2020...  BF822CAF-50E5-4C47-9B23-F36F9B8F5A9C.gif

55915DC9-FEA4-4E77-A9FE-8D46CDB7AE6B.jpeg

Smiley

what is the name of that orange color? looks good

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

that is signal yellow.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Image 5.jpg CarreraGT2.jpg

Porsche color #114 - signalgelb

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

A little treat for Rennteam racing car fans on a Friday afternoon... Smiley

...turn up the volume!  CC728175-19EB-4A81-8294-9590C8A82363.gif

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqxWdkdUj2o

...time to get on your driving shoes to heel-and-toe that Porsche flat-six engine!  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

the-missile:

that is signal yellow.

and a magnificent colour.

crayphile:
    the-missile:

that is signal yellow.

agreed. stunning color in real.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    crayphile:
    the-missile:

that is signal yellow.

IMG_0004.jpeg

crayphile:
    the-missile:
    crayphile:
    the-missile:

that is signal yellow.

IMG_0004.jpeg

did you do anything special inside?

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Rennteam friend and Top Gear TV presenter Chris Harris has a 911 GT3 Touring in signal yellow...  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

80DC02D2-D8C9-4C7C-AC8A-A920EE301CEE.jpeg

548D859A-AFE5-451F-9A47-5231013E41E2.jpeg

6B88B31B-5D46-42CC-8CDB-FD6B7C62BA55.jpeg

39AB4C68-ABB2-4D1C-BEEF-F48F0A4474B2.jpeg

Smiley

he used to have a black one that was a write-off at some point. did he got a signal yellow now?

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

he used to have a black one that was a write-off at some point. did he got a signal yellow now?

Yes, Chris has a Signal Yellow 911 GT3 Touring which replaced his beautiful black GT3 Touring that was sadly written off by an idiot in a truck...

One guesses this is as good a place for this Auto Extremist article on the history of Porsche sales in the States starting with Max Hoffman in New York.  

http://www.autoextremist.com/on-the-table1/

Welcome to the Rennteam meister! Smiley

4A2E3565-399C-4571-91EE-120C3293AAAE.jpeg

“Lord of the Stags”

(2 October 2020)

Eckhard Schimpf’s car collection is something of journey through time. It not only features the vehicles he has raced but a number of cars bearing the orange livery he helped to make famous.

Every collection tells its own story – and no two are the same. Rarely will you find a collector who can say that the items they have assembled over the years have been fully planned in advance.

For Eckhard Schimpf – the man behind the now legendary Jägermeister racing cars – his obsession with Porsche began at an early age. Although he has also owned and owns other cars, the creations from Zuffenhausen still form the nucleus of his collection.

Another rarity, is discovering that the thing that first sparked a collector's desire still exists. For Schimpf it was a 914/6. But his is no ordinary 914/6, of course: it is the car he purchased from the Reutlingen car dealership Max Moritz in 1972 – and that he raced for two years.

Of course, it is impossible to plan any collection – it emerges from a particular set of circumstances. Cars come and go, some are kept, others sold, and some come back.

It wasn’t the first Porsche to catch his eye, however: "I had seen the first Porsche 356 back in 1951 at the Prinzenpark Race, then Kurt Ahrens Sr drove his white 550 Spyder through Braunschweig. And when I accompanied Bobby Wittmann – he also drove the Nürburgring 1,000 km – as a co-driver in two reliability tests in his 1500 Super, Porsche fever had definitely struck,” he explains.

Up to that point, his had been an interesting, though not unusual career. However, in January 1971, it took an unexpected turn: "I wanted to drive in the Monte Carlo Rally, and Porsche had brought the 914/6 onto the market, which I liked on account of its mid-engine design and compact dimensions. So, in 1970 I bought myself a 914/6 and drove it in several rallies, slalom events and races. I decided to compete with the practically standard 914/6 in the Monte Carlo Rally in January 1971 – which ended with a crash in the Maritime Alps. A year later I started once again in Frankfurt and ended the rally in a roadside ditch in the Maritime Alps – the mid-mounted engine and snow were a dangerous combination".

A rare sight: a Carrera RSR 3.0, Porsche 956 and Porsche 962 – and all in the world-famous and unmistakable livery with the stag.

In order to finance his participation in the rally, Schimpf reached out to his cousin Günter Mast – the CEO of Jägermeister – and asked him for a 500 mark contribution towards his adventure. "In return, the Jägermeister lettering was to be applied to the car,” says Schimpf. Günter replied: "500 marks is such a measly sum. You'll get 1,000. And when you're back from Monte Carlo, get in touch".

This conversation launched the Jägermeister Racing Team, which would go on to finance many top-class racing cars and drivers over the coming decades. To this day, the orange racing cars with their stag logo remain among the most popular in the world.

Racing fever had gripped Schimpf, and so in 1972 he purchased a 914/6 GT from the car dealer Max Moritz. For two years, the car – painted in orange, of course – delivered victories and good rankings. The 914/6 GT was followed in 1974 by a 3.0 RSR, which was driven in 84 races from 1974 to 1977 and resulted in 39 victories.

While Schimpf moved over to racing cars built by a brand from Munich, the Jägermeister team remained faithful to Porsche: various 934 and 935 cars were used by Max Moritz and later by the Kremer team – then came the racers, the 956 and 962, which were driven by professionals including Keke Rosberg, Jan Lammers, Hans-Joachim Stuck, Gerhard Berger, Thierry Boutsen, Roland Ratzenberger and Oscar Larrauri.

All of these cars, in addition to hundreds of Porsche posters and magazines – not to mention thousands of photographs – today make up Schimpf’s collection, together with walls full of books, laurel wreaths, trophies and crash helmets.

Link: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/scene-passion/porsche-klassik-magazine-eckhard-schimpf-jaegermeister-paintwork-22465.html

...what a collection! Smiley

angel

Rennteam test-driver Andrew Frankel has been set a bit of homework ahead of Goodwood SpeedWeek...  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

50B00AE2-B153-4454-933F-A3C913BC9E0C.jpeg

...are you taking notes?  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

4EF9F124-868F-494C-A349-E3E35D2EFB53.jpeg

...I wonder what he will be driving? Smiley

AA45A424-51B7-44DA-AD72-CAC31692C486.jpeg

Smiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Rennteam test-driver Andrew Frankel has been set a bit of homework ahead of Goodwood SpeedWeek...  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

50B00AE2-B153-4454-933F-A3C913BC9E0C.jpeg

...are you taking notes?  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

4EF9F124-868F-494C-A349-E3E35D2EFB53.jpeg

...I wonder what he will be driving? Smiley

AA45A424-51B7-44DA-AD72-CAC31692C486.jpeg

Smiley

It’s fair to say that Andrew Frankel liked driving the Porsche 911 RSR...  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

151DC686-C787-407D-8B64-34746989EF30.jpeg

Smiley

Porsche is preparing for Goodwood SpeedWeek....  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

8F203C23-AE75-4978-90EF-6391F747B84B.jpeg

...Porsche 992...

EF37CAB6-4226-4065-9EC8-AD5B55DDA053.jpeg

... 718 Sprint Challenge... 

2B952488-9E57-4F60-B016-D917A8894BE6.jpeg

...Carrera Cup... 

C717F339-D948-459E-89C1-9C69D5955ECB.jpeg

...993 GT2 R... 

D045CD67-4205-4EAF-9CDA-2AC91E1F89EA.jpeg

C901029A-3972-4924-9135-38CA5D79897A.jpeg

...GT1... 

D317F7F8-04EE-4365-8BA1-CA3EEF766164.jpeg

Smiley

Awesome kiss

The front lights on the 919 can be used to enlighten a football stadium indecision

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

What an amazing machinekiss

A lovely Porsche 911 GT3 in Miami Blue spotted outside a local bank heist... Smiley

...a very subtle getaway car! E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif  

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

A Sunset (Boulevard) Porsche 911 Safari...

Meet automotive journalist Matt Farah’s solution to urban travel...

(4 January 2020)

Not all city cars are born equal. Well, not according to world-renowned automotive journalist, Matt Farah. Shortly after moving out to the west coast of America from New York, Farah realised that the crumbling infrastructure in LA made his daily drive more like an expedition down a back-country trail than a traditional city commute. From the monstrous expansion joints on Interstate 405 to the cracked roads in downtown Venice Beach, only his Baja inspired pick-up truck was capable of smoothing out the various lumps and bumps. 

”Although we are blessed with places like the Angeles Forest and Malibu Canyons, two of the finest places on Earth to drive a sports car, the city itself is a nightmare,” Farah explains. “The infrastructure is crumbling, repairs are rarely thorough, the freeway expansion joints are a sports car owner’s worst nightmare, and for a city as ‘spread out’ as LA is, it’s awfully crowded all the time. It can be a real challenge in low, modern sports cars.” 

Which is why his Raptor pick-up with its off-road suspension set-up and huge sidewalls was, as he puts it, a “gamechanger”. But of course, while Baja-inspired trucks ride well, they’re ultimately too unwieldly for tight city streets – even in car-friendly LA. So what was the solution? For Matt, the answer was easy: “I wanted something like the Raptor, but smaller, so the obvious answer was a rally car. Once I drove Leh Keen’s personal Safari 911, it was like a light bulb moment.” 

"For a city as ‘spread out’ as LA is, it’s awfully crowded all the time. It can be a real challenge in low, modern sports cars.”   —  Matt Farah

A two time Grand Am Rolex GT Champion and lifelong Porsche fanatic, Leh Keen has spent the last half a decade designing and building Safari 911 for people who want the ultimate go-anywhere vehicle. Matt, being a rather well-connected chap, got the opportunity to drive Leh’s first Safari build (that’s right, car No. 1) for his show on the /DRIVE network and although Matt admits the concept, “is totally different to what most people think you should be doing with a 911” he was sold. “I sent him a deposit check almost immediately afterwards.”

As part of what is known as ‘The Keen Project’, Leh is happy to either source a donor car for the customer (the base car must be a G-Body 911 from 1979 to 1989), or they find their own. Matt went with the latter option as he wanted to choose “the colour, the year and the interior.” 

For Matt, it was particularly important to have a 1987-1989 G-body with the G50 gearbox as “it has a more direct shift feel”, so he settled on an ’87 3.2 Carrera in striking Cassis Red; a rare and retro hue that he decided to preserve with an Xpel car wrap, rather than repaint – something the majority of buyers choose to do when moving to a rally spec. 

It was a decision Matt wasn’t sure about at first: “The colour was actually a bit of a controversy. I had originally planned to paint any car I found Dalmatian Blue, which is probably my favourite Porsche colour of all time. I was just looking for any clean coupe with a G50 gearbox and straight body. As luck would have it, the guy I bought the car from was not exactly Annie Leibovitz, and photographed the car at high noon, which makes Cassis Red look horrific; like Cyndi Lauper’s lip gloss. I was sort of down on the colour on Instagram and said I was going to paint it, which caused a bit of a ruckus with the purists. It was priced cheap and seemed to have nothing else wrong with it. When I got there to pick it up and saw that the colour was actually incredible, I decided immediately not to paint it. I frequently get ‘I told you so’ from the fans. Honestly, I’m gonna take some credit for the fact that Cassis Red is cool again.” 

After finding his unusually pristine donor car, it was shipped straight out to Keen in Atlanta for a new interior and the fitment of the Baja-inspired hardware. The parts list reads like a Tamiya brochure: bash bars, skid plates, rally light pods, shaved side door mirrors, tucked bumpers, Braid motorsport Fuchs wheels, Elephant Racing Safari suspension, a Quaife limited-slip differential and BF Goodrich K02 tyres – the same tyres, coincidentally, that are used on his pick-up truck. 

For the cabin, Matt opted for what he describes as an aggressive interior design: “Leh actually found the commercial grade LA city bus fabric and when I saw it, I was sold almost instantly. The car came with factory Burgundy full leather, and was in incredible condition, so we were able to retain the headliner, door uppers, dash upper, and base carpet. We were nervous if the bus fabric was going to work with the Burgundy leather, but it worked out. The hardest part was the matching leather MOMO Prototipo steering wheel; apparently it took the guy like 20 tries to make it work, and I had a temporary black steering wheel for like six months. But it’s basically the Pasha concept really turned up to crazy, and it’s also super functional because that fabric is designed to last 20 years in a bus; it’ll probably outlast the rest of the car”. 

After some engine work on its return, the car was ready for the road. The finished build couldn’t be further removed from what most drivers would consider to be a ‘city car’, but for Matt, it is perfect. “It is literally my daily driver. I recently loaded three bushels of firewood behind the rear seats. I mean – it’s not meant for attacking the canyons or going to the racetrack, it’s meant for going to the shops, driving to my office, running errands and then taking to the dirt for some fun. It really is the best parts of a Baja truck and the best parts of an air-cooled 911.” 

It seems city cars don’t have to boring. They just have to be fit for LA’s urban safari.

Article Link: https://www.newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/sport-lifestyle/porsche-sunset-safari-matt-farah-87-3-2-carrera-19561.html

Matt Gets His Keen Project Safari 911! City First Drive!

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTl4iK0AuVU

Smiley 

It must be about time for Porsche to unveil the new 911 GT3 Safari model...  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

460C5C1F-6B23-4295-9C10-C5B9385200EC.jpeg

3809A6E3-2710-4EFC-B516-15CB8170FE01.jpeg

44E04D64-31DC-409E-94F2-E80E6FB8D2BB.jpeg

Smiley

So it seems that Porsche is indeed working on a “911 Safari” special model...  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

Lifted Porsche 911 Prototype Spotted at Work, 992 "Safari" Rumors Going Strong

(21 October 2020)

A quick glance at the generous world of Porsche 911 modifications reveals that jacked-up 911s that can take their driver anywhere are a trend that's only getting stronger. As such, our jaws dropped when coming across the prototype we're here to discuss, a factory effort with a generous ground clearance.

The test car in question recently took to the Nurburgring, which is only normal. First of all, such a high(er)-riding 911 would still spend a lot of time on the road. Secondly, testing on the Green Hell doesn't necessarily mean the vehicle is set up specifically for the track, but rather revolves on the extreme feedback delivered by the German circuit.

As opposed to, say, Ferrari, which always tries to keep its testers as far from the public as possible, Porsche prefers to conceal its upcoming developments in plan sight. And, when it comes to this rear-engined coupe, it seems that we're dealing with a Carrera (S) that sits noticeably higher than normal.

Then we have the add-on wheel arches, placed there to help notice tolerances, which is a standard procedure, regardless of the vehicle's ground clearance.

Rumors about Zuffenhausen adding a lifted derivative to the always-rich 911 lineup have been strong since the previous 991 incarnation of the rear-engined sportscar and perhaps this is one of the treats we'll get for the upcoming ".2" revamp of the current 922 generation - this is also expected to bring the first hybrid powertrain in the history of the iconic model (the gas-electric setup has already been confirmed).

The Porsche DNA for such a Safari-style proposal is certainly there, since the automaker first built rally cars out of 911s back in the 60s, with these being lifted to take part in offroading races such as the Paris-Dakar in the 70s and 80s.

Truth be told, it would be nice to see such an addition to the Porsche range, especially after the "wagon" incarnation of the Taycan might have lost its generous ground clearance en route to production: Mission E Cross Turismo concept vs. recent prototype).

Note that the clip below (lens tip to statesidesupercars) also involves other Neunelfer test cars, as well as machines from other brands, such as the 2021 BMW M3 and M4 or the 2022 Range Rover.

And one of these is of particular interest to us: the 992 Porsche 911 GT3 RS. We're dealing with a naturally aspirated bomb that might even challenge the expected Nurburgring production car lap record of the twin-turbo Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series (this is estimated to have completed a sub-6:43 lap and we'll return with a dedicated story later today), despite being seriously down on power.

And one of the secrets of the next 992 GT3 RS comes from the downforce department. Sure, it packs a super-sized wing (as does the Merc, which, by the way, can also be noticed in the clip below). But, if you look closely at the Neunelfer prototype, you'll notice aero bits that channel air from underneath the vehicle, with the "exit" sitting close to the side skirts. This is all part of a global trend that sees motorsport technology making its way to road cars.

PS: While the potential 911 Safari tester can be found at the 2:53 point of the video, the 992 GT3 RS enters the stage at the 4:13 timestamp.

Article Link: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/lifted-porsche-911-prototype-spotted-at-work-992-safari-rumors-going-strong-150429.html 

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNvDZ1LTBk8 

Smiley

“Is this a new Porsche 911 Safari?” (evo magazine)

Tall ride height and wheelarch extensions suggest a surprise 911 derivative could be coming...  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

(22 October 2020)

Porsche has been spotted testing an unusual 911 prototype on the Nürburgring in recent weeks, one featuring a collection of unlikely modifications that takes this possible 911 variant in a rather different direction to the GT3 and Turbo S.

Building upon what looks to be a standard 992-generation bodyshell, this prototype features a set of rudimentary extended wheelarches concealing what is a quite substantial amount of additional ride height compared to the standard Carrera. These arches, rather than having a true technical purpose, are instead fitted to hide the extra space within the wheelarch, making it look relatively unchanged from the standard model at first glance.

This extra ride height is a substantial change too, as the 911’s coilover suspension design doesn’t facilitate adjustable ride heights aside from the hydraulic nose-lift, which is speed limited as it essentially removes all rebound from the damper’s vertical movement. 

Other than the unfamiliar ride height, this prototype looks fairly standard, wearing slightly smaller wheels than most, wrapped in tyres with a taller sidewall than you’ll find on the current 911 Carrera. There’s also a small winged outcrop at the top of the rear screen that looks to have a small camera mounted within, perhaps signalling a future use of a virtual rear-view mirror, like the one already found in some Jaguars and Land Rovers. 

While we have no official steer from Porsche as to the prototype’s purpose, the notion of a toughened-up Safari derivative is not without historical precedent: international rallying played a big part in the 911’s early motorsport heritage, the model tackling rally raids and safari rallies since the 1970s. 

It’s no secret that evo is sceptical about most crossovers, but a factory-developed 911 Safari is something – you won’t be surprised to hear – we could well get behind. While there is a chance this prototype could in fact be testing internal components not relative to an off-roader version at all, Porsche was very clear about the expected expansion of derivative and specialised models with the 992, so this could well be something more.

Link: https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/203200/is-this-a-new-porsche-911-safari

Smiley

PORSCHE BOSS

E-fuels suitable for series production possible in ten years

14 OCTOBER 2020

Porsche boss Oliver Blume

Porsche boss Oliver Blume

From Porsche's point of view, electromobility is not enough to achieve the climate targets. The sports car manufacturer is placing its hopes in synthetic fuels - and announcing when they could be affordable.

Porsche boss Oliver Blume believes the serial use of synthetic fuels is possible in about ten years. The sports car manufacturer sees the so-called e-fuels as a very important contribution to keeping internal combustion engines attractive in the future, said Blume on Wednesday at the "Industry Summit" of the Institute for the Automotive Industry near Stuttgart.

Synthetic fuels do not compete with electromobility, but complement them. If you just think about the fact that we have billions of vehicles in the world, we have to come from both sides: both forward-looking, clearly electric mobility, but also backward-looking, with synthetic fuels, emphasised Blume.

A few weeks ago, Porsche announced that it would be involved in the development of synthetic fuels and significantly influence their specification. From the sports car manufacturer's point of view, electromobility alone is not enough to achieve the climate and sustainability goals that have been set.

The problem with e-fuels is currently still the price, which is well over ten dollars per liter, said Blume. They reckon with ten years before the refining process is ready for mass production and the price can be reduced to about $2 per liter.

We don’t believe in building a fuel cell in a passenger car, said Blume. Hydrogen in its pure form is far too expensive to transport and the existing filling station network cannot be used. In addition, there are disadvantages in terms of efficiency and the space that is needed in the car for the technology.

Original Article in German: http://m-faz-net.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/m.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/klima-energie-und-umwelt/porsche-chef-serientaugliche-e-fuels-in-zehn-jahren-moeglich-17001336.amp.html

Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM