Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Model 3

Tesla crashed itself on parking (owner was outside of car). Model S have auto-parking option, problem is Tesla have sensors only on bottom of the car, not on upper sides so anything above headlights is invisible for car. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLpq5VrZV1U

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Milanno:

Tesla crashed itself on parking (owner was outside of car). Model S have auto-parking option, problem is Tesla have sensors only on bottom of the car, not on upper sides so anything above headlights is invisible for car. 

Oh well, back to the drawing board. Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    Milanno:

Oh well, back to the drawing board. Smiley

The other day I saw a family park their Tesla S like that . They were all standing in the middle of the parking lot, the car was in front of the parking space and the driver used his iPhone to give the order to park to his car , which entered all by itself . It was pretty cool to see  that Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Cool to see from side. Not cool if empty Tesla bumps you in a$$ while you are packing things in your car smiley 

--

Cool tech, it needs some refining both with hardware but also software. I mean, the humans should still look and think a little. 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

I was always wondering: Companies like BMW or Mercedes put BILLIONS into the development of autonomous driving/parking/whatever for years now and a company like Tesla would have the solution? Always doubted it. Tesla is innovative in many fields, no doubt about it but they cook also with water only as the saying goes. Yes, this technology will be ready for primetime in a couple of years but right now? Not really.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

The key word phrase that so many miss is "in Beta testing."   Tesla has standardized this common approach to Valley software development as standard operating procedures for its auto pilot autonomous driving modes.  It also expects its human operators to operate with flawless logic to understanding the shortcomings of the system.   For example, it has become painfully obvious that there are sensor shortcomings of coverage. It also requires sensitive monitoring of the operation for the human driver to react before an incident occurs.  Isn't the idea of autonomous driving to lessen workload, not increase it?   It violates the classic "man-in-the-loop" issue where the machine does something and then expects the human to rapidly correct the machine, as the machine fails at doing the desired task.   In too many airplanes, this is often met with disastrous results.  

The other automakers seems more cognizant of the costs and liabilities associated with technology failure than Tesla.

True self-driving would happen until all cars are communicating. Car to car communication is actually a much overlooked aspect of self-driving cars.

noone1:

True self-driving would happen until all cars are communicating. Car to car communication is actually a much overlooked aspect of self-driving cars.

Yes, indeed but car to car communication won't be enough. There are sensors needed in the roads, in intersections, maybe even at every traffic light to make sure that the system works perfectly. There is no error margin here I'm afraid. Also think pedestrian and biker safety.

Google's approach for a GPS controlled self-driving car is not the right way in my opinion. What works with drones, won't work with cars on the ground with so many moving "obstacles" and possible incidences. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

I was always wondering: Companies like BMW or Mercedes put BILLIONS into the development of autonomous driving/parking/whatever for years now and a company like Tesla would have the solution? Always doubted it. Tesla is innovative in many fields, no doubt about it but they cook also with water only as the saying goes. Yes, this technology will be ready for primetime in a couple of years but right now? Not really.

You forget the superiority of US companies in software. Easy 10 years ahead of Europe.

wantone:
    RC:

You forget the superiority of US companies in software. Easy 10 years ahead of Europe.

This is why SAP has so much success, even in the US with Oracle and all? Smiley

I agree however that US companies take higher risks, are more willing to accept and support "crazy" ideas and world class programmers prefer to work in the US for obvious reasons, incl. a much better pay than in Europe. Smiley

--

SAP is boring software and it still depends on an Oracle database...

RC:
    wantone:
    RC:

I agree however that US companies take higher risks, are more willing to accept and support "crazy" ideas and world class programmers prefer to work in the US for obvious reasons, incl. a much better pay than in Europe. Smiley

It also explains why US cars' electronic chassis control systems, engine management systems and electronically controlled transmissions are so far in advance of those of European cars.    Smiley

--

fritz

wantone:

I think your information is a tiny bit outdated... Smiley

Boring? Are you serious? 

--

fritz:
    RC:
    wantone:
    RC:

It also explains why US cars' electronic chassis control systems, engine management systems and electronically controlled transmissions are so far in advance of those of European cars.    Smiley

Especially since many US car companies are actually using imported (or externally developed) products. Smiley

ZF comes to my mind for example...or Siemens/Bosch.

--

If you want to make iPhone app or Floppy-blooooppy bird game, US is right place to go. If you want to get robust & reliable software or some industrial CAD modeling, Europe is right place to go. If you want cheap software, India is place for you.

--

Milanno:

If you want to make iPhone app or Floppy-blooooppy bird game, US is right place to go. If you want to get robust & reliable software or some industrial CAD modeling, Europe is right place to go. If you want cheap software, India is place for you.

This one is actually Vietnamese... Smiley Smiley

--

RC:

This one is actually Vietnamese... Smiley Smiley

Well, you got the point SmileySmiley

--

RC:
    fritz:
    RC:
    wantone:
    RC:

Especially since many US car companies are actually using imported (or externally developed) products. Smiley

ZF comes to my mind for example...or Siemens/Bosch.

SAP is application software - the success of SAP is based not on good software knowledge. We have still ABAP code in SAP. We here in Europe and specially in Germany have sophisticated production planning processes, which are on a higher standard than average US production plants uses. SAP covers this higher standards very good. When developing software in Europe you are handling the financial, human resources and a lot of different kinds for a lot of countries. So the rise of mutlinational companies helped SAP a lot. That why they are superior in this branch.

But everything SAP uses below their application layer is built in US. Databases (and SAP has started with IBM DB2 and not Oracle, Oracle was just another DB they have supported), compilers, virtualizations, communications, ....)

We can conclude that US is far from us (Europe) in IT at all, not only software. But when it comes to application software we have some highlights here like SAP, Siemens, ....

--

AM

Europe is simply anti-business these days. Plain and simple. I would never want to start a business or invest in Europe if I could accomplish the same thing in the US. The US has taken a seriously negative tone as well regarding M&A lately (get the popcorn ready for Office Depot bankruptcy), but it's still way more friendly in just about every way.

noone1:

Europe is simply anti-business these days. Plain and simple. I would never want to start a business or invest in Europe if I could accomplish the same thing in the US. The US has taken a seriously negative tone as well regarding M&A lately (get the popcorn ready for Office Depot bankruptcy), but it's still way more friendly in just about every way.

There is no ONE EUROPE. Sorry, but life is not so simple as you try to explain.

--

AM

RC:
    wantone:

Boring? Are you serious? 

--

Are you sure that you know what you are talking about?

SAP is application software for corporate support functions like HR, Finance, Inventory etc...I can't say I see any excitement in these applications...

My previous employer implemented SAP on an Oracle database. There are many databases to choose from but Oracle is the most used one I think.

ALDO:
    noone1:

LOL! I have had to bite my tongue many times due to such comments about "Europe" Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

wantone:
    RC:
    wantone:

Boring? Are you serious? 

--

SAP is application software for corporate support functions like HR, Finance, Inventory etc...I can't say I see any excitement in these applications...

My previous employer implemented SAP on an Oracle database. There are many databases to choose from but Oracle is the most used one I think.

If you find SAP excited then you are pervers or you like AUDI R8 Smiley

--

AM

wantone:
    RC:
    wantone:

Boring? Are you serious? 

--

Since me and a friend take care of some Oracle based systems (banks) in emergencies, I think I know very well what I am talking about. Smiley 900 EUR per hour are only paid for a job well done. Smiley

Do you see any excitement in any application software? Smiley Boring is not the software but the working environment at SAP (a friend worked there for years before he turned freelance), not even close to Google and Co. I'm afraid.

Oracle is very common with banks but mainly because they need a reliable running system and don't like changes. Despite the fact that some Admins are sloppy and hate changes but thats a different story. One reason why most ATM machines are still running on Windows XP Smiley (try a Kali penetration test and you'd be surprised how vulnerable these machines are...).

--

ALDO:
    If you find SAP excited then you are pervers or you like AUDI R8 Smiley

I never said SAP is exciting, I just didn't understand how an application software can be boring? Smiley This would imply that there is exciting application for the same purpose but I wonder what kind of software this would be. Smiley

Not all people need a wing protheses to impress... Smiley Smiley

--

nor they get 900 € per hour to manage an Oracle database 

--

AM

ALDO:

nor they get 900 € per hour to manage an Oracle database 

Who would get 900 EUR per hour to manage an Oracle database? Smiley

--

bluelines:
    ALDO:
    noone1:

LOL! I have had to bite my tongue many times due to such comments about "Europe" Smiley

OK, I'll rephrase. The countries in Europe where the vast, vasty, vasty number of people live are poor choices to start a business. If it's not a tax haven, you probably don't want to start a business there unless you're only targeting the European market.

Europe is just too pro-employee/pro-consumers/pro-tenants. Everything is more expensive not only on a currency level, but also due to things like VAT. The only thing I've experience being cheaper was Internet/mobile service. You can exploit most of the same tax loopholes from the US too.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803371 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448614 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266191 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90098 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885810 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833430 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM