Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Facelifted BMW 7 series

RC:
    Porker:
    Whoopsy:

I am against the grain.

The more I look at the new 7, the more I like it.

It has presence now, it looks mean. It screams I am here.

The current S looked so dated and soft compared to this new 7

Its new styling is aimed at a certain target audience, clearly you're one of them. Smiley

It screams 'look at me' which was hardly the point of a German executive limo.

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

The RR Ghost is much nicer looking...timeless and not too offensive. Why couldn't BMW do the same with the 7 series? Smiley Target audience? I mean the 7 series lost mostly to...Tesla...so how is this the design the target audience wants? Smiley Smiley

I suspect mainland Chinese enjoy a more blingbling statement from their executive limo? I personally find it horrid and a very sad evolution again for BMW (after the X7, X4, ... farces). I suppose/hope at least they're doing it for a commercial reason.

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Whenever one sees a Rolls-Royce Ghost or Phantom, one thinks of parvenu.   The Wraith had potential but is saddled with middling execution.  BMW, with this model, is targeting the Far East client.

CGX car nut:

Whenever one sees a Rolls-Royce Ghost or Phantom, one thinks of parvenu.   The Wraith had potential but is saddled with middling execution.  BMW, with this model, is targeting the Far East client.

Many parvenus in Florida then... Smiley

I like the Ghost a lot, would only get one if I really had serious money and would want a very comfortable daily driver. 

What do people drive who think they are "old" money? A Lincoln Town Car? Smiley Mercedes S class? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

No - not a photoshop. That's the look straight from the front of the car. There is no other words than - hideous. Who could approve this? Compared to this, Bangle was a goddess designer. 

RC:
    CGX car nut:

I like the Ghost a lot, would only get one if I really had serious money and would want a very comfortable daily driver. 

What do people drive who think they are "old" money? A Lincoln Town Car? Smiley Mercedes S class? Smiley

Most don’t care what they drive and many don’t even own a car if they live in a large city.  

Apparently 70% of 7 series are sold in APAC , therefore that`s where Bmw ran the focus groups and consumer researches that defined the design. Bring Chris Bangle back indecision

Lars997:

No - not a photoshop. That's the look straight from the front of the car. There is no other words than - hideous. Who could approve this? Compared to this, Bangle was a goddess designer. 

You know what inspired that face right?

1499710450156.dffbb09fa63e54a9f59df4bfc78bb780.jpg

2019 is the year of the pig after all Smiley

--

At least is has a soul (good or bad), it makes the Pana look very boring now...

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

It is hidious, I would never want to be seen in this car mail

Josef:

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Whoopsy:
    Lars997:

Thanks, Nick. If we ever had a shot at attracting BMW as a supporter, now it is gone. Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

CGX car nut:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:

Most don’t care what they drive and many don’t even own a car if they live in a large city.  

I know a couple of rich people and all have cars. Mercedes S class, BMW 7 series (here in Bavaria basically the rich people car if you want to blend in Smiley), Ghost (US, UK, lately even in Germany but rare)...also many smaller cars, which actually don't "fit" rich people at all. The wife of a very rich architect over here (he "built" basically half of the houses in our small town, died a few years ago) drives a VW Golf. Always the latest model but...VW Golf. Smiley

The new 7 series is a bit too much in my opinion but not in a good way. The X7 isn't much different I'm afraid.

I guess now that BMW basically lost EU markets for such cars, they concentrate on other markets.

--

Josef:

It's just a car. Smiley

RC:
    CGX car nut:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:

I know a couple of rich people and all have cars. Mercedes S class, BMW 7 series (here in Bavaria basically the rich people car if you want to blend in Smiley), Ghost (US, UK, lately even in Germany but rare)...also many smaller cars, which actually don't "fit" rich people at all. The wife of a very rich architect over here (he "built" basically half of the houses in our small town, died a few years ago) drives a VW Golf. Always the latest model but...VW Golf. Smiley

The new 7 series is a bit too much in my opinion but not in a good way. The X7 isn't much different I'm afraid.

I guess now that BMW basically lost EU markets for such cars, they concentrate on other markets.

Vehicles of some of the billionaires that I know and these are very much documented as possessing such wealth.  One  drives an older Toyota Land Cruiser with over 130,000 miles and another is driven around in a previous generation Mercedes S63; however he does own most of the recent exclusive Ferraris.  Another is driven in a Cadillac XTS and usually is seated with the driver in the front passenger seat.  Finally, there's one who rides around town on a folding commuter bicycle but this individual decided to change gender a few years ago.  Smiley 11

CGX car nut:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:

Vehicles of some of the billionaires that I know and these are very much documented as possessing such wealth.  One  drives an older Toyota Land Cruiser with over 130,000 miles and another is driven around in a previous generation Mercedes S63; however he does own most of the recent exclusive Ferraris.  Another is driven in a Cadillac XTS and usually is seated with the driver in the front passenger seat.  Finally, there's one who rides around town on a folding commuter bicycle but this individual decided to change gender a few years ago.  Smiley 11

Of course, I think I would too if I am addicted to riding a bicycle. Do you know bicycle seats are dangerous and hazardous to the testicles?

There is a reason why men invented the automobile to replace the bicycles.

He cut them off so he can ride a bike conformably now.

--

John H:

That is horrendous Iain..heart

In stark contrast to the '8 Series' I once owned - which was frankly the best BMW grille to date... IMHO

For rennteam.jpg

--

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out."

What a great car, I used to love that 8 series and that is one of the nice ones from the wheels...

Sadly, for a long time one thought he was the most stable and normal of his family; I was wrong.  

There is something getting lost here with the marketing pukes and we-don’t-know-what-we-are-doing-so-we-use-a-focus-group types. I think Asian buyers buy German cars for their perceive “German’ess” and NOT because they are styled for Asian tastes. Shifting the styling to cater for the tastes is thus counter productive in the longer term....

996FourEss:

There is something getting lost here with the marketing pukes and we-don’t-know-what-we-are-doing-so-we-use-a-focus-group types. I think Asian buyers buy German cars for their perceive “German’ess” and NOT because they are styled for Asian tastes. Shifting the styling to cater for the tastes is thus counter productive in the longer term....

It's more like German cars are the best of the market, that's the perceived optics. I am AsianSmiley

For Asians, a car, or more a brand's origin is quite important and our perception doesn't change easily.

For ranking, well, Indian made cars are the lowest, next step would be the Americans. Then Koreans. Up until a few years ago the rank is reversed, but the Koreans made great strides, (The last 2 American Presidents didn't help Asian/Chinese perception of anything American. Obama smile in your face and stab you in the back, Trump just smile in your face and stab you in the chest). Japanese is next. European is sort fo collectively group as one category, but to separate them, then the German cars are a step ahead of British. Italians is separated as they are more known mostly for sports cars.

Among Germans, Mercedes is king. Always was and always will be.

--

CGX car nut:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:

The ultra rich are just as individual as any other group of people. My mentor growing up is probably only worth a few hundred million but he still drives around in a late 90's Jaguar. "The last truly British car, delicate and cosseting" as he put it. He also has four 911s (and about 50,000 bottles of wine). One of my clients just before Christmas I found out that his $6B fund is almost 20% his own money. He drives a Toyota Avalon I think. Then you have my lead investor who has about $85m in cars and drives something different every day. He's much more flash but still drives an S class probably 30% of the time and in the winter often just gets driven around in a Sprinter Limo conversion. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

I know someone, while not in the billionaire class, but is a major rental property holder with several thousand units owns about a dozen business jets and usually walks to the office.  Once again, the ultra-wealthy is just as diverse as every other demographic.  

Whoopsy:
    996FourEss:

It's more like German cars are the best of the market, that's the perceived optics. I am AsianSmiley

For Asians, a car, or more a brand's origin is quite important and our perception doesn't change easily.

Yep, had a conversation with a friend from HK, he basically said the same. Smiley

For ranking, well, Indian made cars are the lowest, next step would be the Americans. Then Koreans. Up until a few years ago the rank is reversed, but the Koreans made great strides, (The last 2 American Presidents didn't help Asian/Chinese perception of anything American. Obama smile in your face and stab you in the back, Trump just smile in your face and stab you in the chest). Japanese is next. European is sort fo collectively group as one category, but to separate them, then the German cars are a step ahead of British. Italians is separated as they are more known mostly for sports cars.

Among Germans, Mercedes is king. Always was and always will be.

Yep...again. There were a couple of years when BMW got a bit of the overhand here, also Audi at some point but I get the feeling this has changed again. At least in Germany... Unfortunately Mercedes has the smell of an old man's car in Germany but at age 53, I can live with that. Smiley Smiley

--

And Mercedes is the de facto taxi in Germany lol

--

Whoopsy:

And Mercedes is the de facto taxi in Germany lol

Yes and no, depends on the color you choose. 

Many taxi companies switched to smaller cars, A or B class, sometimes C class.

You see BMW 5 series taxis as well pretty often and we now even have two Tesla S taxis in our town... Smiley

--

CGX car nut:

Sadly, for a long time one thought he was the most stable and normal of his family; I was wrong.  

Who's to say (s)he's not?

m4ever:

Apparently 70% of 7 series are sold in APAC , therefore that`s where Bmw ran the focus groups and consumer researches that defined the design. Bring Chris Bangle back indecision

This percentage will probably increase further - given BMWs new design language...

Mithras:
    CGX car nut:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:
    RC:
    CGX car nut:

The ultra rich are just as individual as any other group of people. My mentor growing up is probably only worth a few hundred million but he still drives around in a late 90's Jaguar. "The last truly British car, delicate and cosseting" as he put it. He also has four 911s (and about 50,000 bottles of wine). One of my clients just before Christmas I found out that his $6B fund is almost 20% his own money. He drives a Toyota Avalon I think. Then you have my lead investor who has about $85m in cars and drives something different every day. He's much more flash but still drives an S class probably 30% of the time and in the winter often just gets driven around in a Sprinter Limo conversion. 

All combinations exists .

I have two multi billionaire real  friends . One drives  a Land Rover Discovery , a VW Passat and a Toyota Hilux, but on the other hand has a 69 m super yacht . The other one  just sticks to Volvo . ( both are old money ) 

Then a guy in my village that I know a little bit  just recently  entered the 300 riches in Switzerland with 1Billion ( so new money ) , drives around in a Bentley or Mercedes s coupé .

And then there is that guy not living too far from me, not sure about how much he is worth , but a lot, had a collection of at least 30 Porsche , drives most of them around  , owns two jets ( one for Europe and one for long distances )  etc...

All variants are in the nature . But truth is , being loaded does not equal driving around in expensive cars . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Whoopsy:
    Lars997:

SmileySmileySmiley Exactly - so true SmileySmiley

BMW is working hard already on the new immediate brand recognition line up  indecision

2022BMW.PNG

You need a really wide screen to see the new 7 series...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759519 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433695 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259722 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256857 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80574 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870641 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805631 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM