Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016)

You guys realise that 'Porsche Drivers Selection' are now going to create a 911R watch after reading your posts? Obviously it will be limited to 911 pieces and will come with choice of Green or Red strap to match your car. Price?

boytronic:

You guys realise that 'Porsche Drivers Selection' are now going to create a 911R watch after reading your posts? Obviously it will be limited to 911 pieces and will come with choice of Green or Red strap to match your car. Price?

AP has already got the watch. It is the best watch. Ever.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

SciFrog:

It wasn't that expensive, Nick has the expensive ones angry It was posted here before... The cool feature is a 100% mechanical alarm that you can see in the back, there is a little hammer to make the sound. At the time this model was only sold in main Breguet stores and not available in multi brand shops.

Breguet-Reveil-du-Tsar-Enamel.jpg

Which Nick? Me? Did you not see I just got pwnd by someone with a Platinum Daytona Smiley

--

Such an odd conversation from Porsche owners. A mechanical timepiece crafted by hand is a masterful achievement by highly skilled artisans. If you know only 'bling" about mechanical watches and their complications you know little indeed. Taste is subjective but there is more to a fine mechanical timepiece than taste.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

DaveC:

Such an odd conversation from Porsche owners. A mechanical timepiece crafted by hand is a masterful achievement by highly skilled artisans.

I completely agree, just visit Switzerland and do a factory tour in one of the fine watch manufacturers such as Jaeger LeCoultre or even better Patek and you will understand. I am well aware that the watch industry has huuuuuge margins but I do not mind Smiley

It is fascinating that in a time of very fast technical progress, the mechanical watch survived andfor most people still very desirable.

nberry:

Men should not wear anything with diamonds. Leave that to the women.

Smiley I inherited a diamond ring with a huge diamond from my uncle, he gave it my dad as a gift for some help during WWII. Sold it because even my wife didn't want to wear it, it just looked so big and weird (like "in your face...").

The husband of one of my wife's friends wears a Rolex with diamonds (they have been added by a jeweler) and it just looks ridiculous on a guy. My wife always says he looks like a pimp but in reality, he reminds me more of an Armenian car sales guy I once met in Miami. Smiley

No, diamonds and men are not best friends. Never. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

spudgun:
    Whoopsy:

And that is the whole point of wearing watches like those.

I like wearing my white gold Rolexes. To most people, they are just another 'steel' Rolex. But for those that knows, they know the difference, and that's what counts.

So watches are mostly for showing of Smiley

I never understood the need to wear expensive watches.

I like the contrast to my "work boots" (Timberlands), my jeans and the shirt not tucked in.  Smiley Also fits the Porsche very well. Smiley

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Wow, and yet another page of off-topic stuff...isn't there somebody out there somewhere having received his / her 911 R already ... ? yes

d997h:

Wow, and yet another page of off-topic stuff...isn't there somebody out there somewhere having received his / her 911 R already ... ? yes

Time to change the header on the home page:
    "Welcome to Rennteam!
    The Unique International Off-Topic Community"

Smiley

--

fritz

Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

It wasn't that expensive, Nick has the expensive ones angry It was posted here before... The cool feature is a 100% mechanical alarm that you can see in the back, there is a little hammer to make the sound. At the time this model was only sold in main Breguet stores and not available in multi brand shops.

Breguet-Reveil-du-Tsar-Enamel.jpg

Which Nick? Me? Did you not see I just got pwnd by someone with a Platinum Daytona Smiley

Well Nick, I'm glad to hear that you have Rolexes... Last time I saw you, you where flashing your Iwatch around and I really thought you where "one of them"....smiley

fritz:
    d997h:

Time to change the header on the home page:
    "Welcome to Rennteam!
    The Unique International Off-Topic Community"

Any suggestions for the diner?Smiley

--

Being polite is so rare these days that it's often confused with flirting.

d997h:

I actually turned down an R allocation from my dealer because I could not afford it - just took delivery of my Voodoo Spyder and my UV RS has just left Stuttgart and is on it's way to the UK!

To be honest, having both of these cars means I cannot even afford a WATCH... And because I didn't spec Sport Chrono Wart for my RS I have to check the time on my iPhone 4S.

Back on topic now? ;)

boytronic:
    d997h:

I actually turned down an R allocation from my dealer because I could not afford it - just took delivery of my Voodoo Spyder and my UV RS has just left Stuttgart and is on it's way to the UK!

To be honest, having both of these cars means I cannot even afford a WATCH... And because I didn't spec Sport Chrono Wart for my RS I have to check the time on my iPhone 4S.

Back on topic now? ;)

I don't believe you were thinking clearly when you turned down the R allocation. You could have flipped immediately for a substantial premium. Your affordability would not have been an issue.

BTW, what is a voodoo spyder? 718?

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

I would have turned down an R allocation as well and let someone who really wants the car get it. Plus it has been hinted that flipping the car would be red flagged by Porsche anyway...

boytronic:

Unbelievable  Smiley  - you should have given it to me !

d997h:

+1

nberry:
    boytronic:
    d997h:

Back on topic now? ;)

I don't believe you were thinking clearly when you turned down the R allocation. You could have flipped immediately for a substantial premium. Your affordability would not have been an issue.

The R was offered to me before any details were available and I had no idea how great the spec was going to be. I could have bought it on finance but I told the dealer I have a 981 Spyder and RS coming so I should not be greedy - please give it to someone else. After the spec was released I realised the R would have suited me better than both the Spyder and RS! Better luck next time I guess ;)

boytronic:
    The R was offered to me before any details were available and I had no idea how great the premium was going to be. I could have bought it on finance but I told the dealer I have a 981 Spyder and RS coming so I should not be greedy - please give it to someone else. After the spec was released I realised the R would have suited me better than both the Spyder and RS! Better luck next time I guess ;)

EFA Smiley

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

TB993tt:
    boytronic:
    The R was offered to me before any details were available and I had no idea how great the premium was going to be. I could have bought it on finance but I told the dealer I have a 981 Spyder and RS coming so I should not be greedy - please give it to someone else. After the spec was released I realised the R would have suited me better than both the Spyder and RS! Better luck next time I guess ;)

EFA Smiley

Lol! There's more to life than premiums... I hope some of these cars will go to people who can actually drive and enjoy them. Life is too short. 

boytronic:

Lol! There's more to life than premiums... I hope some of these cars will go to people who can actually drive and enjoy them. Life is too short. 

Smileyclass act

nberry:
    boytronic:
    d997h:

Back on topic now? ;)

You are wrong about this. Porsche is closely monitoring any flipping and unless you don't care or have some sort of third person for the job, this is impossible. 

--

crayphile:
    boytronic:

I'm afraid this is not how it works...

I tried to give "my" car to someone else but impossible. It had my name on it... Smiley

At my dealer, there was a lottery for the normally allocated car (only one, yes). Whoever wanted to participate had to pay 5000(?) EUR to a charity and then, they draw the lucky winner... Smiley I am still not sure how Porsche agreed to this, maybe it didn't happen at all but since I kind of lost interest in the car, I never asked my dealer again.

--

bluelines:
    spudgun:
    Whoopsy:

I like wearing my white gold Rolexes. To most people, they are just another 'steel' Rolex. But for those that knows, they know the difference, and that's what counts.

+1

I never understood this either. Especially, wearing an expensive watch which looks ordinary and inexpensive to everyone than a few who happens to "know". This is nothing else than a need to increase self-esteem, gain acceptance and provide a sense of belonging. I am sure there is some psychological term describing this behaviour.

Then again we are all different Smiley

+2,,, I do not get it either.

I like nice cloths but even then I wear my lounge wear a lot when working from home. Tuesday I fancied a quick burn in my GT3, didn't get changed for the drive. Pulled up at a Shell station to fill up with V Power Nitro only to look down and discover I was wearing my pyjama bottoms, thought they were my loose quick slip on track bottoms Smiley..So yep, no rolex or the like for me Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

RC:
    crayphile:
    boytronic:

I'm afraid this is not how it works...

I tried to give "my" car to someone else but impossible. It had my name on it... Smiley

At my dealer, there was a lottery for the normally allocated car (only one, yes). Whoever wanted to participate had to pay 5000(?) EUR to a charity and then, they draw the lucky winner... Smiley I am still not sure how Porsche agreed to this, maybe it didn't happen at all but since I kind of lost interest in the car, I never asked my dealer again.

This was the same with my UK dealer - when i joked if I could give the allocation to a friend they said no, it would only be available to me, and also that they will only get one car. Just for that moment, I felt very special... :)

boytronic:
    d997h:

Back on topic now? ;)

I would have financed it for you and just split the profit flipping it. Next time, send a PM :)

throt:
    bluelines:
    spudgun:
    Whoopsy:

+1

I never understood this either. Especially, wearing an expensive watch which looks ordinary and inexpensive to everyone than a few who happens to "know". This is nothing else than a need to increase self-esteem, gain acceptance and provide a sense of belonging. I am sure there is some psychological term describing this behaviour.

I like nice cloths but even then I wear my lounge wear a lot when working from home. Tuesday I fancied a quick burn in my GT3, didn't get changed for the drive. Pulled up at a Shell station to fill up with V Power Nitro only to look down and discover I was wearing my pyjama bottoms, thought they were my loose quick slip on track bottoms Smiley..So yep, no rolex or the like for me Smiley..

Most stylish Mr T! Smiley Riding low and dirty in your Motorsport nighgown Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

noone1:
    boytronic:
    d997h:

Back on topic now? ;)

I would have financed it for you and just split the profit flipping it. Next time, send a PM :)

Funny, you would be surprised how many offers I got in a similar direction. Smiley

--

bluelines:
    throt:
    bluelines:
    spudgun:
    Whoopsy:

+1

Most stylish Mr T! Smiley Riding low and dirty in your Motorsport nighgown Smiley

You know that you know that.

When you possess the class , like ourselves, anything goes. We would even have the X factor in a volvo, blue. SmileySmiley.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

nberry:
    You're post rings true when it fact it isn't. Expensive items look expensive. Why? Because the consumer doesn't want a buy a  product that is expensive and looks pedestrian like many other similar products.. Items that are frauds/fakes try to look expensive. The R needs something to distinguish to fro the rest of the model range. Imagine if Porsche didn't do anything to outwardly distinguish the R. How many buyers would be lined up to buy one? I can't imagine many.
    Why do you think Porsche decided only to build a limited number of R's? Another component of expensive is exclusivity.Smiley

Probably that fake items try more to match the built quality of the genuine things, however they look, than look expensive as such. Luxury is all about built quality and choice of materials. And about consumer needs, I think this is cultural or at least a matter of education. In the US or Middle East, objects need to look expensive to communicate their value to the outside world ("showing off"). In Switzerland at least, this is often seen as vulgar and a proof a very bad taste.

To come back to the subject, I think the way the R distinguishes itself is though the removal of some of the exuberant attributes of the upper part of the model range (e.g. the GT3 RS wing). Not though the addition of attributes to the models in the lower part of the range. Which means that a component of the philosophy for the R was probably a quest for more discretion. And in that sense to me, the result is just fabulous. 

About the stripes, in addition to the fact I think they destroy the look of the R, those reminiscences of the past leave me totally cold, I'm not a nostalgic. That's why I would prefer an R in all its modernity, without the stripes. But this is, of course, all personal.

--

Nicolas
    2016 991 Carrera 4 GTS PDK

Nico997:
    nberry:
    You're post rings true when it fact it isn't. Expensive items look expensive. Why? Because the consumer doesn't want a buy a  product that is expensive and looks pedestrian like many other similar products.. Items that are frauds/fakes try to look expensive. The R needs something to distinguish to fro the rest of the model range. Imagine if Porsche didn't do anything to outwardly distinguish the R. How many buyers would be lined up to buy one? I can't imagine many.
    Why do you think Porsche decided only to build a limited number of R's? Another component of expensive is exclusivity.Smiley

Probably that fake items try more to match the built quality of the genuine things, however they look, than look expensive as such. Luxury is all about built quality and choice of materials. And about consumer needs, I think this is cultural or at least a matter of education. In the US or Middle East, objects need to look expensive to communicate their value to the outside world ("showing off"). In Switzerland at least, this is often seen as vulgar and a proof a very bad taste.

To come back to the subject, I think the way the R distinguishes itself is though the removal of some of the exuberant attributes of the upper part of the model range (e.g. the GT3 RS wing). Not though the addition of attributes to the models in the lower part of the range. Which means that a component of the philosophy for the R was probably a quest for more discretion. And in that sense to me, the result is just fabulous. 

About the stripes, in addition to the fact I think they destroy the look of the R, those reminiscences of the past leave me totally cold, I'm not a nostalgic. That's why I would prefer an R in all its modernity, without the stripes. But this is, of course, all personal.

--

Nicolas
    2016 991 Carrera 4 GTS PDK

+1 Nico, couldn't have written it better myself Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM