Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Salomondrin's fun with Shmee

nberry:

I think I know something about this His insurance company will pay the claim unless there was a specific exclusion written into the policy regarding driving in race mode. The insurance then will try to get their money back from McLaren if the fire was caused by their negligence. 

In short, Nick’s post is right on.kiss

Yes but if McLaren provides a new car, there is no reason for the insurance company to get involved. Especially since this would (very likely) also mean that Alejandro will sue McLaren as well (if the insurance proves it was their fault).

I don't know how good McLaren's lawyers are but if I were them, I wouldn't take the risk.

We can discuss this all day long and of course you have the bigger experience with this but if I were McLaren, I would go the "safe" way to offer Alejandro a new car and avoid all that (legal) hassle. Unless of course their lawyers believe that by offering Alejandro a car, this would make them look suspicious. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

spudgun:

They won’t give him a new car. Knowing their F1 team, I doubt McLaren worries about possible negative PR.

SmileySmileySmiley

Blueflame

blueflame:
    spudgun:

They won’t give him a new car. Knowing their F1 team, I doubt McLaren worries about possible negative PR.

SmileySmileySmiley

Blueflame

Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    nberry:

I think I know something about this His insurance company will pay the claim unless there was a specific exclusion written into the policy regarding driving in race mode. The insurance then will try to get their money back from McLaren if the fire was caused by their negligence. 

Yes but if McLaren provides a new car, there is no reason for the insurance company to get involved. Especially since this would (very likely) also mean that Alejandro will sue McLaren as well (if the insurance proves it was their fault).

I don't know how good McLaren's lawyers are but if I were them, I wouldn't take the risk.

We can discuss this all day long and of course you have the bigger experience with this but if I were McLaren, I would go the "safe" way to offer Alejandro a new car and avoid all that (legal) hassle. Unless of course their lawyers believe that by offering Alejandro a car, this would make them look suspicious. Smiley Smiley

--

McLaren cannot give him a new car without facing lawsuits from other clients.

The Senna are numbered, and tied to the VIN. How on Earth can they get around that? They make him another and that would be car number 501. That opens a giant can of worms. 

Especially when he won't keep his mouth shut IF he gets a replacement, unlike say Ferrari owners, that just park the extra car somewhere and keep their mouth zipped forever.

--

Whoopsy:
    RC:
    nberry:

--

Not really. Still 500 cars around. Smiley

The Senna are numbered, and tied to the VIN. How on Earth can they get around that? They make him another and that would be car number 501. That opens a giant can of worms. 

Nope. Same number, same VIN. They can do that.

Another alternative to avoid the legal issues: They "rebuild" the car. Problem solved. So they basically take his destroyed car back to the UK and rebuild it. In reality, they give him a new car. Who will know? Smiley

Especially when he won't keep his mouth shut IF he gets a replacement, unlike say Ferrari owners, that just park the extra car somewhere and keep their mouth zipped forever.

Now this is a serious issue with Alejandro, you nailed it. I'm afraid this could be one of the reasons such a deal won't work with him. Smiley

--

BjoernB:

If the manual says you're not allowed in race mode to drive on public roads - this could be a win/win for McLaren and the Insurer....(If I am not mistaken the shmee collection video showed that on the screen....but I might be wrong)

(my theory is that he used race mode on "bumpy normal roads" and the car is to low not to scrape and creates sparks...)

He will surely not get a replacement !

It's more explicit than just a mention in the owner's manual.  When you use Race mode in the Senna, a message comes up that says the driver acknowledges that Race mode is for display purposes (not moving) or use on a race track only and that street use is illegal.  The driver has to click to acknowledge this message for the car to go into Race mode then...

I guess McLaren could add to the message a mention of bursting into flames and risk of death, just to cover all bases Smiley

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

RC:

Again, that still make it 501 cars, even when one is destroyed. But only 500 left on the road. Very different.

No manufacturer can reuse the same VIN. That's why VIN exists in the first place, it's a unique serial number to track each and every single car.

But yes, if they take the wreck back and rebuild it, THEN they can reuse the same VIN, as it is the same car. 

Porsche retires even race car VINs. If a car is damaged and needed a tub replacement, Porsche will only send out the tub if the VIN number plaque on the wrecked tub is returned to them. Ask me how I know Smiley

--

Whoopsy:

Porsche retires even race car VINs. If a car is damaged and needed a tub replacement, Porsche will only send out the tub if the VIN number plaque on the wrecked tub is returned to them. Ask me how I know Smiley

I feel like there's probably an interesting racing story behind this statement Smiley do tell. 

The interesting question is whether the insurance company will pay his ADM. They will pay the tax plus MSRP but the ADM will require some negotiation. Of course if he had an agreed value policy then not a problem.

Another interesting issue is since most insurance policies provide free coverage for 30 days on newly acquire vehicles what will they agree to pay. Example, if I owned a Prius and it was insured with XWZ Insurance company and I buy a Senna for $850,000 and involved in an accident totaling the car within 30 days, how much does the insurance company have to pay. My view is all of it unless there are special provisions preventing them from doing so. 

I bring this up because I'm not sure how long he owned the car before the fire.

--

Stress is man made.

Normally it's a cut and dry thing, for insured amount, the whole amount is paid. But the premium of course will be higher.

--

Well today on youtube Salomondrin annouced is going to sell all his sports care. He does has have the "nerve" to drive sports cars anymore? So if somebody is in for a nice pink Carrea GT now is the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIwfHU5zwno

JR-550:

Well today on youtube Salomondrin annouced is going to sell all his sports care. He does has have the "nerve" to drive sports cars anymore? So if somebody is in for a nice pink Carrea GT now is the time.

His explanation doesn’t quite make sense with the decision to sell the AMG GT R (afraid of engines behind catching fire)...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

He never made any sense in the first place. 

And I had interactions with him before. Not quite friend, but say aqutaince.

--

I would not be surprised if it’s just to create a buzz, make people talk about it and generate views. Not to mention that je probably does not own half the cars in his garage...

Grant:
    JR-550:

His explanation doesn’t quite make sense with the decision to sell the AMG GT R (afraid of engines behind catching fire)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhI9boEoOVA

RC:
    Whoopsy:
    RC:
    nberry:

--

Another alternative to avoid the legal issues: They "rebuild" the car. Problem solved. So they basically take his destroyed car back to the UK and rebuild it. In reality, they give him a new car. Who will know? Smiley

Now this is a serious issue with Alejandro, you nailed it. I'm afraid this could be one of the reasons such a deal won't work with him. Smiley

I now see why Ferrari use ! of xxx instead of the car number, very smart way in situations like this Smiley @RC, Vin numbers can't be reused on different car...as per Alejandros decision to sell all his sports cars....something smells really fishy Smiley

Ferrari has been in this game far longer than anyone else. So they have the knowhow.

As for Alejandros. let's just say even his house is a rental, it's the internet, don't trust everything you see and hear.

--

I bet he had a ADV policy. You guys who think he's just some shallow funded internet clown don't know his family in Mexico City or their background.

JimFlat6:

I bet he had a ADV policy. You guys who think he's just some shallow funded internet clown don't know his family in Mexico City or their background.

Let's just say he is not as loaded as most think he is.

--

Are you sure he is not loaded? I think he is loaded but with debt. Perhaps his bank want him to pay back the 500.000 on top of his Senna since the collateral is gone.

Porsche official 911R posters in the background of that last video - will they go too??

Whoopsy:

Ferrari has been in this game far longer than anyone else. So they have the knowhow.

As for Alejandros. let's just say even his house is a rental, it's the internet, don't trust everything you see and hear.

Smiley Smiley

--

The way to stay loaded is to find away to unload your debt to another party and always use other people’s money whenever possible. Too big to fail was the crowning achievement of that. This guy is just using the playbook and probably has someone in back advising him now that he stepped into potential liability that his family may have to pay for.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

DaveC:

The way to stay loaded is to find away to unload your debt to another party and always use other people’s money whenever possible. Too big to fail was the crowning achievement of that. This guy is just using the playbook and probably has someone in back advising him now that he stepped into potential liability that his family may have to pay for.

Not sure what you mean? What liability? Nobody was hurt, it was his car... Smiley

--

RC:
    DaveC:

Not sure what you mean? What liability? Nobody was hurt, it was his car... Smiley

Financial liability. If there is a video in where he states he sees sparks coming from the car, supporting an explicitly prohibited use of race mode, the insurance company is not just going to pay the claim, including the ADM, knowing that seeking restitution from the manufacturer may be difficult if not impossible. The guy talks too much in public. 

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

+1

DaveC:
    RC:
    DaveC:

Financial liability. If there is a video in where he states he sees sparks coming from the car, supporting an explicitly prohibited use of race mode, the insurance company is not just going to pay the claim, including the ADM, knowing that seeking restitution from the manufacturer may be difficult if not impossible. The guy talks too much in public. 

Have you seen the range of cars he owns? I doubt he really needs the insurance money. Of course this is not just peanuts for him but I doubt he has to sell all his cars just to compensate for that Senna fire.

I have a hard time to believe though that someone like him is shocked enough to sell all his cars after such an event. Either he is more sensible than anyone thought (and then, he really should keep his hands off such cars, no doubt) or he is preparing something else, something big, like going for some sorts of psychological impact, damages of whatever kind and whatnot. Not sure how his chances are or if something like this is is even possible in the US legal system with any chance of success but I wouldn't be surprised.

Yes, he talkes/talked too many details when he knows "what" will probably follow...this could cost him a lot in the end. Smiley Usually you wait how this pans out and then you talk... (if you still can...NDA and all).

--

Short of him admitting he intentionally tried to set the car on fire, the insurance company will pay the claim. 

--

Stress is man made.

nberry:

Short of him admitting he intentionally tried to set the car on fire, the insurance company will pay the claim. 

This is interesting to know...

Any idea why he would sell all his sportscars, other than the emotional issues he claimed? From a lawyer's perspective? 

--

According to the interwebs, his net worth is about 15 million. If that is the case, how can you afford multiple cars worth in excess of 1 million each?

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774978 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440453 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262109 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260345 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84857 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5445 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879498 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814347 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM