Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Salomondrin's fun with Shmee

You need to checkout vinwiki on youtube. Inside baseball stories about exotic car sales and rentals. They also have a app that tracks sales etc..

Most of the Brit Youtubers mentioned seem geared more at aspirational drivers than owners.

JimFlat6:

You need to checkout vinwiki on youtube. Inside baseball stories about exotic car sales and rentals. They also have a app that tracks sales etc..

Most of the Brit Youtubers mentioned seem geared more at aspirational drivers than owners.

I watched over the weekend. He is a good story teller. 

Ed is supercool !

What is the issue with flipping cars? If someone buys and sells his Dyson-Vaccum Cleaner, no-one gives a damn about.

And be sure - the manufacturers love that hype around a car. If no-one would trade it, the prices would not go up. So there must be a certain flipper market

From my understanding, someone owning a car can do with it whatever he wants. Smashing it to the grounds, painting it in any color, put any other emblem on it, etc. So let people do with it what they want, flipping or not. 

We have been over this many times, no one has a problem with someone buying a car he likes, using it for whatever time and selling it later, if it is for a profit then even better, good for him.

The problem are those that get in list of cars they don't really want (often in bed with the dealer) for the sole purpose of selling it right away when they get it for a profit, getting in between the dealer and the actual real customer, causing the price of the car to artificially inflate for no reason whatsoever and not allowing the final owner to have spec'ed the car like he wanted to in the first place. Parasites, leeches of the system. That is the issue with flipping cars.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

We have been over this many times, no one has a problem with someone buying a car he likes, using it for whatever time and selling it later, if it is for a profit then even better, good for him.

The problem are those that get in list of cars they don't really want (often in bed with the dealer) for the sole purpose of selling it right away when they get it for a profit, getting in between the dealer and the actual real customer, causing the price of the car to artificially inflate for no reason whatsoever and not allowing the final owner to have spec'ed the car like he wanted to in the first place. Parasites, leeches of the system. That is the issue with flipping cars.

--

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

kiss

RC:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

Smiley

Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Because the car in the burned picture has its wing in fully raised position, some have speculated that the car was in Race mode (much lower ride height that is not allowed for road use) and could have sparked by scraping under the car...

I imagine that the insurance company (and McLaren) might try to suggest that this violates terms of the warranty and insurance coverage (negligence).

Might make an interesting legal case...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Salomondrin's vid (look how low with wing up - seems like Race mode):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BzfSU1Kt_o

senna.PNG

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

You could argue that a spark caused by scraping on a bumpy track (Nordschleife anyone?) shouldn't cause the car to burn down either...

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:

You could argue that a spark caused by scraping on a bumpy track (Nordschleife anyone?) shouldn't cause the car to burn down either...

True.  In fact, there is no situation where a spark should ignite the whole car.  Seems like it was a combination of unfortunate conditions (like most airplane crashes).  For example, a spark and a fuel leak...

--

Or God trying to punish owners who put ugly wraps on their cars.

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

Wraps are just so passe.

Strip you tube car exotic car guys of their wraps , trust funds, the words epic and bad boy, baseball caps, hoodies and what's left? not much.

JimFlat6:

Wraps are just so passe.

Strip you tube car exotic car guys of their wraps , trust funds, the words epic and bad boy, baseball caps, hoodies and what's left? not much.

When you post it is GOLD. 👍

JimFlat6:

Wraps are just so passe.

I disagree. Smiley it is always nice to have a choice, isn‘t it. just saying. Smiley

Carlos from Spain:

--

Smiley @Lars997 pls flip ur used Dyson and lets see how much you will get for it Smiley

Alejandro has confirmed that there were sparks flying out from the back of the car before the fire in his video, possibly due to Race mode engaged with the ride height lowered...don't think he will get anything from the insurers, he has already put up his Carrera GT, 720S and AMG GTR up for sale..doesn't look too good Smiley

Italo:

Alejandro has confirmed that there were sparks flying out from the back of the car before the fire in his video, possibly due to Race mode engaged with the ride height lowered...don't think he will get anything from the insurers, he has already put up his Carrera GT, 720S and AMG GTR up for sale..doesn't look too good Smiley

He's trying to get another one (Senna) or is he aiming now for that Chiron he mentioned once?! Smiley

Why speculate when we don't have a clue what happened. 

Regarding race mode: Why would a street legal car have a race mode? Doesn't make sense to me, unless this race mode needs to be unlocked in a complicated special way which cannot trigger accidental activation. You get my point? Smiley I think that with a good lawyer, he can easily win this but is it wise to sue McLaren?

This is how I would handle this:

1. Get a good lawyer.

2. Let the lawyer contact McLaren, tell them that he (Alejandro) isn't interested in a legal battle, he just wants to know what happened. Offer them to work with them together to find out what happened.

3. If it was McLaren's fault, this should be kept between them and they should find a solution which makes both parties happy. I guess giving him a new car would be acceptable for McLaren (they can do that if they want to...) and for Alejandro and maybe a future VIP status to get all the new McLaren cars (at full cost of course) from McLaren if he wants to.

4.If it wasn't McLaren's fault and it was the race mode or whatever, Alejandro needs to deal with the insurance. In this case, the insurance could compensate Alejandro for his loss and at the same time sue McLaren for an unsafe car (why is the illegal(?) race mode that easily accessible on a street legal road car?).

I think that McLaren should talk to Alejandro, give him a new car and be done with it (if Alejandro accepts it), everything kept from the public in a non-disclosure agreement. Boom...Alejandro suddenly has a new Senna and that's it, no more comments. Why? Because this is the US, this is a well known YouTuber and then they'd have to deal (very likely) with Alejandro's US(?) insurance as well. Not worth it in my opinion, this can end badly for McLaren.

Just my humble opinion, maybe I'm clueless. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    Italo:

He's trying to get another one (Senna) or is he aiming now for that Chiron he mentioned once?! Smiley

Why speculate when we don't have a clue what happened. 

Regarding race mode: Why would a street legal car have a race mode? Doesn't make sense to me, unless this race mode needs to be unlocked in a complicated special way which cannot trigger accidental activation. You get my point? Smiley I think that with a good lawyer, he can easily win this but is it wise to sue McLaren?

This is how I would handle this:

1. Get a good lawyer.

2. Let the lawyer contact McLaren, tell them that he (Alejandro) isn't interested in a legal battle, he just wants to know what happened. Offer them to work with them together to find out what happened.

3. If it was McLaren's fault, this should be kept between them and they should find a solution which makes both parties happy. I guess giving him a new car would be acceptable for McLaren (they can do that if they want to...) and for Alejandro and maybe a future VIP status to get all the new McLaren cars (at full cost of course) from McLaren if he wants to.

4.If it wasn't McLaren's fault and it was the race mode or whatever, Alejandro needs to deal with the insurance. In this case, the insurance could compensate Alejandro for his loss and at the same time sue McLaren for an unsafe car (why is the illegal(?) race mode that easily accessible on a street legal road car?).

I think that McLaren should talk to Alejandro, give him a new car and be done with it (if Alejandro accepts it), everything kept from the public in a non-disclosure agreement. Boom...Alejandro suddenly has a new Senna and that's it, no more comments. Why? Because this is the US, this is a well known YouTuber and then they'd have to deal (very likely) with Alejandro's US(?) insurance as well. Not worth it in my opinion, this can end badly for McLaren.

Just my humble opinion, maybe I'm clueless. Smiley

it doesn't work that way.

McLaren can't build another one for him, they limited it to 500 and all gone.

Right now it's the insurance company's mess. He doesn't need to do anything.

If insurance can't find any clause to escape paying him, he gets paid.

If he doesn't get paid, THEN he goes after McLaren. 

For the time being, it's the insurance company that wants to go after McLaren and get them to foot the bill.

Of course, everything goes out the window if say someone dig into the 'black box' and see what he was doing just before the fire, say if he was dry revving the engine and it back fired and started it, then perhaps he is liable instead.

Now if that wasn't the case and it was just shady workmanship, then McLaren could be the one on the hook.

Race mode or not.

Plus, Race mode is a 'feature' of the car, built in. He cannot be blamed on using race mode. Now if Race mode can cause fire, then that setting shouldn't be on the car in the first place.

--

It can work that way, I know a couple of insurance cases in Germany which were handled in a similar way, can't say what brand indecision but I guess I don't have to.

Of course McLaren can build another car, who counts them?  They can also give it the same number of the car destroyed. If other manufacturers can do that, why not McLaren?!  Still 500 cars...one was destroyed. Smiley

The more this case goes "public", the lesser the chance of a nice and easy non-disclosure agreement deal between the parties involved. I think McLaren should talk to Alejandro and Alejandro should listen carefully. If he wants a legal battle (or the insurance), this can end badly for either side. Not worth it.

The insurance only need to get involved if they have to pay Alejandro. So this could be an "easy" deal for McLaren and Alejandro if both sides are open minded.

--

Doesn't Race Mode require a confirmation that it cannot be used on public roads and therefore it is illegal when you engage it?

Yes

--

This guy is no naive waif. He will get the whole chicken out of this.

Jean:

Doesn't Race Mode require a confirmation that it cannot be used on public roads and therefore it is illegal when you engage it?

Depends how McLaren implemented this...lawyers will have a field day arguing about it. Smiley

--

RC:
    Jean:

Depends how McLaren implemented this...lawyers will have a field day arguing about it. Smiley

Maybe automatic disabling of race mode unless you’re at a track, like the GT~R, should have been considered if it was that dangerous. I guess going over a speed bump too quickly in street mode or hitting a pot hole could have caused sparks too? Lawyers could try to turn this around and blame the manufacturer for selling a dangerous car.  Might be best to come to a mutual agreement out of the public eye. 

JoeRockhead:
    RC:
    Jean:

Maybe automatic disabling of race mode unless you’re at a track, like the GT~R, should have been considered if it was that dangerous. I guess going over a speed bump too quickly in street mode or hitting a pot hole could have caused sparks too? Lawyers could try to turn this around and blame the manufacturer for selling a dangerous car.  Might be best to come to a mutual agreement out of the public eye. 

My opinion as well, McLaren has nothing to win here, neither does Salomondrin. Oh wait, Alejandro could make a sensational YouTube series out of this and I doubt McLaren wants that. No matter how many people watch Salomondrin or take Alejandro seriously, he is clearly a showman and would know how to produce videos with maximum negative impact on McLaren if he wants to. McLaren shouldn't underestimate him. That pickup video with the sex toys clearly was a punch towards McLaren because they didn't want to sell him a car.

Mutual agreements are always best, no insurance involved (which is surely not very keen on paying up, they will clearly try to find a way to sue McLaren if they have to pay), no lawyers (or at least not to a point where it gets ugly) and everyone walks out of this without any harm done. McLaren can "afford" giving him a new car and since his car was destroyed, they even have an "excuse" to basically "re-produce his car" with the same production number, especially since production is still officially ongoing (I think).

The big unknown here is though: How clever are McLaren and/or Alejandro? If Alejandro is looking for making a show out of this whole thing, he won't agree. McLaren could be opposed to such a "deal" from the start, out of principle or whatever, so...two unknown factors here. 

My opinion: McLaren, give that man another Senna and be done with it. Alejandro, if you get offered the deal, just take it and sign that damned non-disclosure agreement. Case closed.

--

I think I know something about this His insurance company will pay the claim unless there was a specific exclusion written into the policy regarding driving in race mode. The insurance then will try to get their money back from McLaren if the fire was caused by their negligence. 

In short, Nick’s post is right on.kiss

--

Stress is man made.

If the manual says you're not allowed in race mode to drive on public roads - this could be a win/win for McLaren and the Insurer....(If I am not mistaken the shmee collection video showed that on the screen....but I might be wrong)

(my theory is that he used race mode on "bumpy normal roads" and the car is to low not to scrape and creates sparks...)

He will surely not get a replacement !

They won’t give him a new car. Knowing their F1 team, I doubt McLaren worries about possible negative PR.

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM