Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016)

Nico997:
    nberry:

You need the strips to distinguish it from a $100,000 Porsche.😂

Having style is precisely to make everyone believe you drive a $100,000 Porsche, and being the only one to know it's an 991R ! smiley angry

--

Nicolas
    2016 991 Carrera 4 GTS PDK

You're post rings true when it fact it isn't. Expensive items look expensive. Why? Because the consumer doesn't want a buy a  product that is expensive and looks pedestrian like many other similar products.. Items that are frauds/fakes try to look expensive. The R needs something to distinguish to fro the rest of the model range. Imagine if Porsche didn't do anything to outwardly distinguish the R. How many buyers would be lined up to buy one? I can't imagine many.

Why do you think Porsche decided only to build a limited number of R's? Another component of expensive is exclusivity.Smiley

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

I keep forgetting that a 100k Porsche is the cheap one. 

Okay now it makes sense.  Nick is correct. 

Which is also why I enjoy driving a plain black, silent and almost always dirty old used car that simply reads 'turbo' on the back.  It attracts no attention and then it's gone. 

You want stealth you don't buy a 911...

SciFrog:

You want stealth you don't buy a 911...

Really? The 911 is arguably the most stealth of all the sports cars. To most people the difference between the C2 and the TTS are invisible. Only those who know, know. 

nberry:
    Nico997:
    nberry:

You need the strips to distinguish it from a $100,000 Porsche.😂

Having style is precisely to make everyone believe you drive a $100,000 Porsche, and being the only one to know it's an 991R ! smiley angry

--

Nicolas
    2016 991 Carrera 4 GTS PDK

You're post rings true when it fact it isn't. Expensive items look expensive. Why? Because the consumer doesn't want a buy a  product that is expensive and looks pedestrian like many other similar products.. Items that are frauds/fakes try to look expensive. The R needs something to distinguish to fro the rest of the model range. Imagine if Porsche didn't do anything to outwardly distinguish the R. How many buyers would be lined up to buy one? I can't imagine many.

Why do you think Porsche decided only to build a limited number of R's? Another component of expensive is exclusivity.Smiley

Totally disagree.

Both of these Rolex Daytonas sold at auction this week. For the layperson loking at them, they are the same watch. One sold for $58k and the other for $2.02M. There are a lot of people that like to walk softly and carry a big stick.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Carrying a bit stick implies power but if people can't see the stick you've got nothing.Smiley

As an aside, there is no accounting for stupidity.Smiley

--

Mithras:

Both of these Rolex Daytonas sold at auction this week. For the layperson loking at them, they are the same watch. One sold for $58k and the other for $2.02M. There are a lot of people that like to walk softly and carry a big stick.

Out of curiosity, for those of us who can't stand wearing watches, and are therefore not up on the minutiae of the industry, which is which, and why? (I'd guess limited edition, but, if so, how limited, or what other reasons?)

And that is the whole point of wearing watches like those.

I like wearing my white gold Rolexes. To most people, they are just another 'steel' Rolex. But for those that knows, they know the difference, and that's what counts.

--

^ But Nick, you know you are missing the platinum Daytona.Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Targa Tim:

^ But Nick, you know you are missing the platinum Daytona.Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

SmileySmiley

The point of wearing a Rolex (BTW I wouldn't be caught dead with one--too gaudy) is to tell the world I am successful. Otherwise you either don't wear a watch (smart phones will do everything a watch does and moreSmiley) or wear a Timex.Smiley

That said, I own a Chopard and hardly wear it.

--

Buying a cheap watch makes zero sense these days, as Nick said, your phone tells the time... Wearing a watch today is like wearing jewelry, you do or you don't, to each his own. If you wear one might as well be a nice one. And that's where the iwatch should make a killing: it makes wearing a cheap watch having a meaning...

Watch > phone at telling time. You have to take your phone out of your pocket to tell the time, with a watch you don't.

If wearing a watching is like wearing jewelry, then it's the opposite, and it actually makes more sense to buy a cheap one. As long as you like how it looks and tells the time, it's perfect. Expensive jewelry and watches are more about self-esteem than anything.

I have one watch that all together has cost me about $4000 to own and I've had it for about 10 years now.  Black ceramic, some white gold, and 4 tiny diamonds. There are many black ceramic watches these days, but at the time only one company really made them. If I could buy a watch more or less the same today for $400, I would. In fact, I'd have just bought a new one every year so it was always pristine instead of the wear and tear found on mine.

apias:

Out of curiosity, for those of us who can't stand wearing watches, and are therefore not up on the minutiae of the industry, which is which, and why? (I'd guess limited edition, but, if so, how limited, or what other reasons?)

My guess is that it's old. Human's value old stuff for some reason.

Men should not wear anything with diamonds. Leave that to the women.

--

nberry:

Since when?

nberry:

Diamond crowns are tacky, but small diamonds for the dots indicating time it is fine...

noone1:

Watch > phone at telling time. You have to take your phone out of your pocket to tell the time, with a watch you don't.

If wearing a watching is like wearing jewelry, then it's the opposite, and it actually makes more sense to buy a cheap one. As long as you like how it looks and tells the time, it's perfect. Expensive jewelry and watches are more about self-esteem than anything.

If you are wearing long sleeves or a coat it is the same pulling your phone out or looking at your watch.

Of course they are about self esteem, but so are high powered vehicles we all are here for and sports cars...

Whoopsy:

I like wearing my white gold Rolexes. To most people, they are just another 'steel' Rolex. But for those that knows, they know the difference, and that's what counts.

So watches are mostly for showing of Smiley

I never understood the need to wear expensive watches.

SciFrog:
    noone1:

If you are wearing long sleeves or a coat it is the same pulling your phone out or looking at your watch.

Of course they are about self esteem, but so are high powered vehicles we all are here for and sports cars...

Sounds like you need a new tailor ;)

All I do is toss my arm out a bit more or pull the sleeve back slightly with the other hand and voila, my watch is visible. Still vastly quickly then pulling my phone out and doesn't require putting it back in my pocket either. Significantly easier if your hands are full too.

Watch > phone for time telling purposes :)

SciFrog:
    noone1:

Well, if we want to get all utilitarian, Google Glass is the easiest way to tell the time, just a quick dart of the eyes... and even a tuxedo doesn't interfere with its use. 

Watches are easier to read time, yet it is a small price to pay vs not wearing a watch if you don't want to wear one as jewelry or an iwatch. I decided to do both, jewelry watch AND iwatch smiley (and a wedding band, family crest, gold chain with a third cool ring from Stern with a diamond hidden in it). Goes perfect with bold color Ferraris and the Aston Smiley

spudgun:
    Whoopsy:

So watches are mostly for showing of Smiley

I never understood the need to wear expensive watches.

+1

I never understood this either. Especially, wearing an expensive watch which looks ordinary and inexpensive to everyone than a few who happens to "know". This is nothing else than a need to increase self-esteem, gain acceptance and provide a sense of belonging. I am sure there is some psychological term describing this behaviour.

Then again we are all different Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

apias:
    Mithras:

The bottom one is one of the very first Paul Newman Oyster-cased Daytonas and is one of only two known Tropical dial Oyster Sotto's known to exist. Sotto (Italian for underneath) means the Oyster" designation is beneath the word "Cosmograph". So a very early example of an already very rare watch with a very very rare quirk.

The other is a (still fairly rare) porcelain dialed SS Daytona from the '80's.

Look wearing a watch that almost no one else knows is expensive like that or driving a plain silver 911R is no different that wearing cashmere socks or expensive underwear. You can go to Walmart and buy 4 pairs of boxers for $10 or black polyester socks in bulk, just like you can buy a base Carrera. No one will notice the difference except you. 

But YOU know the difference. YOU know you have something special and can give a little smile when no one notices or gives you grief about your outrageous spending while you get to enjoy something really special.

--

Mithras:

The bottom one is one of the very first Paul Newman Oyster-cased Daytonas and is one of only two known Tropical dial Oyster Sotto's known to exist. Sotto (Italian for underneath) means the Oyster" designation is beneath the word "Cosmograph". So a very early example of an already very rare watch with a very very rare quirk.

Interesting stuff. I had guessed that the bottom one was more valuable, but only because it looked different than the typical Rolex one sees.

Next up, Lot 4732. Paul Newman's cock ring. Starting bid of $740,000 with all profits going to charity.

Didn't you know the bezel unscrews on those models for just that purpose?Smiley

--

apias:
    Mithras:

Interesting stuff. I had guessed that the bottom one was more valuable, but only because it looked different than the typical Rolex one sees.

the bottom one IS the most expensive Smiley

Cool old Rolexes. Ceramics faces have been reintroduced by Breguet, got a yellow gold Reveil du Tsar with white ceramic face and handpainted numbers, pretty cool.

Handpainted numbers? Post a close-up picture if you don't mind.

Just Googled it BTW. You are no longer allowed to talk about car depreciation and price being that you have that watch LOL.

It wasn't that expensive, Nick has the expensive ones angry It was posted here before... The cool feature is a 100% mechanical alarm that you can see in the back, there is a little hammer to make the sound. At the time this model was only sold in main Breguet stores and not available in multi brand shops.

Breguet-Reveil-du-Tsar-Enamel.jpg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690602 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409850 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256068 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235299 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4715 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858515 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774788 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM