Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017)

the-missile:
    RC:

Smiley Seriously...the Performante is just a logical consequence of my R8 experience.

definitely an upgrade...Smiley

You will be very happy with this car. I think it is taking the R8 package to another level.

Smiley I think of the Performante as an exotic supercar GT3 RS-esque experience.

Going with the Corsa tires though, not the more extreme Trofeo R because I drive this car basically in any weather.

Another problem is winter tires: A winter wheel set costs a fortune, not worth it. Instead, I will get new tires each season (2200 EUR for winter tires, 1600 EUR for summer tires, both sets Lamborghini approved with L rating). Why no switching used tires? Too dangerous since the tires can be invisibly damaged during the switch. Many tire shops say they can do it safely with the latest equipment but it is my life, not theirs. Smiley

Yes, like the R8, I will drive the Performante in winter time as well. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Won't the mounting of the new tires every time be a risk as well than? yes

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

spudgun:

Won't the mounting of the new tires every time be a risk as well than? yes

Very very small risk with modern techniques. The main problem is when you remove the tires...

Most car manufacturers do not recommend doing that for obvious reasons but people are cheap and do it anyway, especially since tire shops seem to tell them there is no risk ("we do it all the time and we never heard of an accident"...yeah, right...if someone dies, I'm sure he will come back to complaint Smiley).

My Performante has CL, so a winter wheel set with CL would be around 12k EUR or so (haven't checked the price yet but this is what I heard...). Not worth it. The Corsa tires will be done anyway by 7000-10000 km Smiley (I usually do 5000-7000 km in spring/summer/autumn), the winter tires are a different story but it is how it is.

Sales manager promised to find me a solution to make me happy (probably meaning a cheaper price for the winter wheel set but if I get it for 10k instead of 12k, it doesn't really make much of a difference Smiley). We'll see...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

get a winter set... it is really mandatory.

keep a set for summer tyres and just do an easy swap. Center lock are a pain to deal with and require very special care. you don't want to play with them on few months basis.

depends on your driving, these cars eat tyres like no other...you will not want to throw away barely used tyre because you enter winter season.

tons of aftermarket wheels available and reasonably priced. no need to buy from Lambo...

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

keep a set for summer tyres and just do an easy swap. Center lock are a pain to deal with and require very special care. you don't want to play with them on few months basis.

depends on your driving, these cars eat tyres like no other...you will not want to throw away barely used tyre because you enter winter season.

tons of aftermarket wheels available and reasonably priced. no need to buy from Lambo...

I wish it were that easy...didn't find any (yet). All of the sets cost same or more than OEM rims. Smiley

--

I must explain to my first wife that the second is just a logical extension of her awesomeness. 

RC:
    the-missile:

I wish it were that easy...didn't find any (yet). All of the sets cost same or more than OEM rims. Smiley

BBS FI-R is perfect for track duty and spirited driving. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:
    the-missile:

Set for Huracan is 8000 EUR...without tires, special price. MSRP would be around 8900 EUR. 

For this price, I prefer to get the original Loge rims from Lamborghini (same I ordered with the car) because they maintain the original look.

We'll see...first I need to have the car, then I can think about what solution is best for me. Smiley

Update: Apparently they (BBS rims) don't have approval for the Performante here in Germany, so... Smiley

--

RC:
    the-missile:
    RC:
    the-missile:

Set for Huracan is 8000 EUR...without tires, special price. MSRP would be around 8900 EUR. 

For this price, I prefer to get the original Loge rims from Lamborghini (same I ordered with the car) because they maintain the original look.

We'll see...first I need to have the car, then I can think about what solution is best for me. Smiley

Update: Apparently they (BBS rims) don't have approval for the Performante here in Germany, so... Smiley

--

Congrats Christian, what an upgrade Smiley

I thought the R8 was here to stay but in less then 2 years it's already gone Smiley  

Il really liked the R8 by the way. The performante's design is too "racy" and "in your face" for my taste but I'm sure it's blast to drive. Porsche should have a V10 sports car in its range. 

For those who don't have or can't afford a Lamborghini yet, today I got these Lamborghini sneakers with Forged Carbon trim..indecisionindecisionindecision

1543946130632IMG_0752.JPG

--

RC:

Going with the Corsa tires though, not the more extreme Trofeo R because I drive this car basically in any weather.

Another problem is winter tires: A winter wheel set costs a fortune, not worth it. Instead, I will get new tires each season (2200 EUR for winter tires, 1600 EUR for summer tires, both sets Lamborghini approved with L rating). Why no switching used tires? Too dangerous since the tires can be invisibly damaged during the switch. Many tire shops say they can do it safely with the latest equipment but it is my life, not theirs. Smiley

--

That means you can choose the type of tire when ordering? Would be interestingSmiley

--

Conny997:
    RC:

--

That means you can choose the type of tire when ordering? Would be interestingSmiley

Nope, my post may have been a bit confusing, sorry. Smiley The Performante comes standard with PZero Corsa tires (the regular Huracan comes with PZero tires) but the Trofeo R is optional. The Trofeo R is way too extreme for regular street driving, makes no sense. The Corsa is a good compromise.

--

amazon:
    Congrats Christian, what an upgrade Smiley

I thought the R8 was here to stay but in less then 2 years it's already gone Smiley  

Il really liked the R8 by the way. The performante's design is too "racy" and "in your face" for my taste but I'm sure it's blast to drive. Porsche should have a V10 sports car in its range. 

Thank you. Smiley

I still love the R8 and I already have it for over 2 years, it will stay with me until April anyway, so this would make it almost 3 years. Smiley 

The initial plan was to get a possible R8 GT whenever it shows up but Audi didn't bother. The facelift is not my thing and I always loved the Huracan Performante for being the "R8" I always wanted (sportier chassis, even better sound).

When a friend here on Rennteam (you know who you are Smiley) told me that there is a deadline to order the car and that production stops in March 2019 or so, I had to make a decision and I had to make it fast. Luckily, my former R8 sales guy is now the Lamborghini sales guy at the dealership. Smiley

Speaking of deadline and Italian cars: The deadline was supposed to be on Nov. 30th, last day to send the order to Italy. Well, instead of Nov. 30th, it became Nov. 28th while we were in the middle of negotiations. First I thought this is a sales strategy on my dealer's part but he showed me the email communication with the European distribution department. So I got the order accepted on Nov. 29th instead and the door was closed. So lucky. Smiley

Unfortunately no Ad Personam options anymore, which was a pity. The color choice (Bianco Monocerus, a "basic" white) wasn't my first choice but the more I look at photos and videos of cars in this color, the more I like it. So my plan to wrap the car and get another color could be abandoned at some point, latest when the car is in and I can see it live.

Yes, the Performante attracts a lot of attention, probably the reason why I will keep this car in my own garage instead of the semi-public garage my R8 was kept in. Not sure how I am going to manage this since my garage at home comfortably fits three cars only but I had four cars in it before, so I'll see how it works out. Smiley

--

RC:

Yes, the Performante attracts a lot of attention, probably the reason why I will keep this car in my own garage instead of the semi-public garage my R8 was kept in. Not sure how I am going to manage this since my garage at home comfortably fits three cars only but I had four cars in it before, so I'll see how it works out. Smiley

Does the Performante have a sunroof? Smiley       

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    RC:

Does the Performante have a sunroof? Smiley       

Smiley Smiley

--

That’s a closed trailer, isn’t it

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Gauss:

That’s a closed trailer, isn’t it

Would definetely be a great illusion...

--

RC:

This is exactly how my ordered car will look alike, delivery is planned for early May (yes, one of the last, production is end of March or so). I could have gotten one earlier but what for? Makes no sense now.

2169_main_l.jpg
    403_p13_l.jpg
    403_p12_l.jpg
    403_p15_l.jpg
    403_p16_l.jpg
    2169_p2_l.jpg
    2169_p3_l.jpg

Christian, just saw this. Congratulations. This car is more your style. Dump the MB. It's not you.Smiley

--

Stress is man made.

here in SF ca.  I can get about 30 K off a new '18  Perf. ( Lamborgini has a dealer incentive going on ).   But since I just got my M5 comp. I've decided to wait to see if the 19's will have the rear wheel steering.  And what is changed on the standard Huracan.   Anyone have any news there?   My choice would be the white with white/grey stitching on the comfort seats/ which for me were extremely comfortable and supportive.

Nick, thank you but you are aware that the E63 S AMG is my daily driver and business car? Smiley

The Huracan Performante replaces the R8... Smiley

--

Van-:

here in SF ca.  I can get about 30 K off a new '18  Perf. ( Lamborgini has a dealer incentive going on ).   But since I just got my M5 comp. I've decided to wait to see if the 19's will have the rear wheel steering.  And what is changed on the standard Huracan.   Anyone have any news there?   My choice would be the white with white/grey stitching on the comfort seats/ which for me were extremely comfortable and supportive.

30k off a new car? What is the MSRP? Good offer...I guess.

The standard Huracan facelift is coming around April 2019. Will be named Huracan Evo, power maybe even 640 hp similar to the current Performante but 620 hp are also possible.

No more Performante after March 2019 (last production month), facelift may not get a Performante either, a Superleggera more likely but no details yet.

The Performante was a bit too extreme for many, this is why the Performante may not have been a major success in the end and for similar money, there is McLaren and Ferrari. Another issue is that many supercar clients may be currently looking at the Aventador SVJ, which is in EXTREMELY high demand.

Many dealers are getting already ordered showroom cars over the next two to three months but the order deadline for a new Performante was last week.

The Huracan facelift could be as fast (or slightly faster) than the Performante because of the much lower downforce but it won't beat the Performante on the track.

As far as I heard, no rear wheel steering for the Huracan facelift.

--

thanks for the info.  Didn't get an MSRP,  just got the notice that they'd deal on either ordered or incoming, with incoming being moderately optioned.  Have to wonder though if the ALA wing will become standard fare on all models?

RC:

Seems logical, as the R8 facelift doesn't have RWS either.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Van-:

thanks for the info.  Didn't get an MSRP,  just got the notice that they'd deal on either ordered or incoming, with incoming being moderately optioned.  Have to wonder though if the ALA wing will become standard fare on all models?

No, ALA will not be standard but it may become optional (without all that forged carbon stuff though, which is always optional on the standard Huracan). The Huracan Evo on display had no rear wing!!!

--

Rossi:
    RC:

Seems logical, as the R8 facelift doesn't have RWS either.

Oops Smiley, right...was so preoccupied with the Huracan Performante that I totally lost track of the R8 facelift. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:

The Performante was a bit too extreme for many, this is why the Performante may not have been a major success in the end and for similar money, there is McLaren and Ferrari. Another issue is that many supercar clients may be currently looking at the Aventador SVJ, which is in EXTREMELY high demand.

But anyone who has tested both, Aventador S + SV should know by now that the SVJ's minor transmission software update won't get it anywhere close to DCT shifting, most of the clients (no offense) are the show off type that will hardly get upto 4th gear, if they will go past 6,000 rpm, otherwise it's a tractor with a supercar body-kit  Smiley

BiTurbo:
    RC:

But anyone who has tested both, Aventador S + SV should know by now that the SVJ's minor transmission software update won't get it anywhere close to DCT shifting, most of the clients (no offense) are the show off type that will hardly get upto 4th gear, if they will go past 6,000 rpm, otherwise it's a tractor with a supercar body-kit  Smiley

The SVJ is a beast... Also basically sold out. My German dealer gets four cars (with 17 customers on the list who have already paid the required 30k EUR Smiley...I do not envy them when they call the customers who don't get one), Germany gets 35 (or was it 34?) cars. 

Keep in mind that Lamborghini builds 9xx SVJs and it is basically sold out. You cannot get a regular Aventador right now because of that and those available at dealers cost a premium or will be sold at MSRP with a couple of thousands of miles on them.

The Aventador tranny may not be great but the SVJ, as a package, is insane.

--

RC:

The SVJ is a beast... Also basically sold out. My German dealer gets four cars (with 17 customers on the list who have already paid the required 30k EUR Smiley...I do not envy them when they call the customers who don't get one), Germany gets 35 (or was it 34?) cars. 

Keep in mind that Lamborghini builds 9xx SVJs and it is basically sold out. You cannot get a regular Aventador right now because of that and those available at dealers cost a premium or will be sold at MSRP with a couple of thousands of miles on them.

In terms of looks, I might agree with you, but when it comes to driving experience I give it a big fat zero vs 911 GT / Ferrari / McLaren / Huracan Performante Smiley Smiley Smiley

It just doesn't make sense at all to use such an outdated transmission that belongs in the mid-late 90's Smiley

The other problem is, there's no drama at all with Haldex AWD holding back all the power, it felt too easy compared to Ferrari Smiley

BiTurbo:
    RC:

In terms of looks, I might agree with you, but when it comes to driving experience I give it a big fat zero vs 911 GT / Ferrari / McLaren / Huracan Performante Smiley Smiley Smiley

It just doesn't make sense at all to use such an outdated transmission that belongs in the mid-late 90's Smiley

The other problem is, there's no drama at all with Haldex AWD holding back all the power, it felt too easy compared to Ferrari Smiley

The lack of (handling) drama is actually the reason people buy these cars. Smiley

When I compare my current AWD E63 S to my former E55 AMG (2WD), it is like day and night, two completely different cars and I hated the E55 for it's major traction issues. 

I drove only the Aventador S (700 and 740 hp current version) and why should I lie, I always had a crush for this car. The tranny is only one component and yes, it can be annoying but hey, maybe this is the drama the Aventador is famous for. Smiley

--

And while you wait RC, you can play this little Performante drive on loop... Henry C, a Performante, and no talking...

https://youtu.be/1AWUqgZ_gJY

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782126 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442913 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263523 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261960 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86021 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6033 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881700 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819858 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM