Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car

Porsche 992 and friends...

1543522140985image.jpeg

Smiley

Grant:
    GRN2RSMO:

I was really looking forward to the 992. 

Then I priced one out on the Configutrator.

Yeah, one of the British mags said the price increase was 4% over the 991, but in the USA it's almost 8%...

Putting things into perspective, one can acquire an Audi R8 for the same price.  While that Audi won't have all of the high performance technology in that $170,000 992, it does retain, for the time being, a genuine normally aspirated, high revving V10!

Porsche 992 GT3 Touring 4.0 track testing...  1538770913308image.gif

1543522893002image.jpeg

1543522919780image.jpeg

1543522943312image.jpeg

1543522965119image.jpeg

1543523100828image.jpeg

1543523120135image.jpeg

...will look great with a ducktail spoiler! Smiley 

Boxster Coupe GTS:

1543522893002image.jpeg

1543522919780image.jpeg

1543522943312image.jpeg

1543522965119image.jpeg

1543523100828image.jpeg

1543523120135image.jpeg

Normally aspirated or with turbocharging?  

CGX car nut:
    Grant:
    GRN2RSMO:

Then I priced one out on the Configutrator.

Yeah, one of the British mags said the price increase was 4% over the 991, but in the USA it's almost 8%...

Putting things into perspective, one can acquire an Audi R8 for the same price.  While that Audi won't have all of the high performance technology in that $170,000 992, it does retain, for the time being, a genuine normally aspirated, high revving V10!

Or a pre-owned McLaren. They won’t have trouble selling the 992, but there are some other great options in that price range. 

GRN2RSMO:

Then I priced one out on the Configutrator. After adding PTS,club leather, sports, performance package, PDCC, front axle lift, rear axle steering, adaptive cruise control and upgraded wheels. I come in just shy of $170k

A 991 Turbo is starting at $161k which doesn't need much additional options, what the hell is going with Porsche ? have they finally lost it ?

11 years back when I ordered my 997 GT2, I paid around $186k and this was for a 911 GT model which is considered a top dawg 911 before the GT2 RS was announced in 2011. So how did they manage to get this close in pricing with an entry level Carrera / Carrera S (385 hp / 450 hp) with engine cc downgrade Smiley

By adding few toys, gizmos and switching from analog to digital with another overdrive gear doesn't justify the price hike, it's still a 911 and it doesn't age well (base version) once the new generation is out, not sure if the 992 stands a chance   Smiley

I know I've distanced myself from Porsche because of the pricing as a starter, they seem to have forgotten the success of the 911 was it's starting price which was always well below the competition, the benchmark days are all over since McLaren released the MP4-12C and then the engine failures which started with the introduction of the 991.  So pray that you're not gonna be the guinea pig that they will be relying on to rectify the issues in the facelift with another price hike Smiley

Porsche seems to have gone megalomania with their lap times, limited edition 911's and VIP program that expires after a certain amount of time and later on lost in hyperspace, as if you're a newcomer to them if you try to make an inquiry about a new model Smiley

This generation will be missed dearly

"Porsche’s 918 successor 'must achieve 6m 30s' at the ‘Ring" (Top Gear)

(29 November 2018)

Porsche’s fascination with the Nürburgring shows no sign of abating. Speaking to Top Gear at the LA Motor Show, Porsche Motorsport boss Frank-Steffen Walliser laid down the gauntlet for the core of whichever car supercedes the 918 Spyder hypercar.

It won’t be whichever powertrain best fits the company’s increasingly electrified message, but whichever powertrain allows it to take nearly 30 seconds out of the 918’s 6m 57s lap of the ‘Ring.

“It must achieve a 6m 30s at the Nürburgring,” Walliser tells us. “I don’t care about the drivetrain, 6m 30s is the target. Sports cars are defined by their performance, then we have to look how to achieve it. An electric car in 6m 30s is quite a challenge.” So a hybrid may be unlikely, a fully electric hypercar even more so.

Is it all getting a bit mad? “For 5,000 years mankind compares performance in games and competition in soccer, in rallying, throwing spears and whatever. I don’t see it will stop. for sure we have to be careful, and properly prepare.

“The main part is preparation for safety. Nothing just happens, we need a very experienced driver, a very good team taking care of every detail and we have to be careful,” he added.

Keeping things at a slightly saner level, he also told us to expect the new, 992-generation GT3 within 18 to 24 months of the brand-new 911’s arrival, but wouldn’t be held on whether it’s going to be turbocharged or not, as some have suggested.

And, indeed, feared. If the 991 has been anything to go by, that’ll be the first of many motorsport cars. Some of which, like the new GT2 RS Clubsport, may allow modestly talented drivers to go racing. Actual racing, not ending up in the hands of speculative collectors.

Walliser assures us the company’s done as much as possible to make sure Clubsports end up in the hands of people who want to race them, and given the car fits with the SRO’s new GT2 regulations, that could mean some pretty special races.

“The intention is this is not a collector’s car. It’s a really, really easy to use racing car. You don’t need a big team of engineers setting up everything, and you can service it with the regular computers we are using in the Porsche dealer.”

While its 282kg of downforce at 124mph comes close to doubling the figure of the GT2 RS road car, Walliser insists the Clubsport is a friendly car to drive. It still comes with stability control and ABS, after all. “The people who will buy this have found a skill in racing but they don’t have the time for daily training and a lot of races,” he says.

Walliser reckons it’ll be used differently to the 935 track special it initially appears rather similar to. While most of those will still end up on circuit, it’ll likely be more careful use on a trackday as opposed to the cut and thrust of a racing grid. And it turns out a lot of 935 buyers are also getting a GT2 RS Clubsport anyway.

Back to the ‘Ring. Has the new Clubsport been there yet?

“We haven’t tested it,” he says. “I think with the downforce level and the tyres we can take another ten seconds off the street car, minimum.” So around 6m 35s, perhaps.

“I guess we will see in the spring. We’ll do some serious Nürburgring testing. The GT2 RS Manthey was just an end of season run to bring the trophy home.”

Link: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/la-motor-show-2018/porsches-918-successor-must-achieve-6m-30s-ring

If you want to mock the Porsche and its 992, and stay how expensive it is (170K), you can always build up the the options list to set up your argument.  If I were configuring a very nicely optioned car, I would do it as below, which totals $135,120.  Then if you can't get a dealer to knock off 6% of that (then total of $127,000) you should find a new dealer. So, tell me where you can find a comparable high performance car for $127K? 

Gentian Blue Metallic

1A

$830

Interior Color

Leather Interior in Bordeaux Red

$3,830

Packages

Premium Package

$5,380

LED Headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+)

$0

Lane Keep Assist (LKA) incl. Traffic Sign Recognition

$0

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)

$0

Comfort Access

$0

Seat Ventilation

$0

BOSE® Surround Sound System

$0

Sport Package

$5,460

Sport Exhaust System with Tailpipes in Silver Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

$0

Sport Chrono Package

$0

Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) (Lowered 10mm)

$0

Exterior

Power Folding Exterior Mirrors

$370

Performance

8-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)

$0

Wheels

20"/21" Carrera S Wheels

$0

Wheel Accessories

Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest

$190

Lights and Vision

Comfort and Assistance Systems

Interior

Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package

$2,330

Steering Wheel Heating

$280

Interior Carbon Fiber

Interior Trim in Carbon Fiber

$2,100

Audio and Communication

Total Price*

$135,120

Apparently there´s quite a few 992´s (no camouflage) on Mallorca, Spain right now.

Dont know what they´re doing there.

Maybe Carlos will see one and tell us his opinion.

Anyway, found a video of one being driven (inside video) in Mallorca.

992 mallorca.mp4

--

This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Preliminary 992 GT3 info from LA auto show: (Frank Walliser)

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-la-motor-show/next-generation-porsche-911-gt3-display-innovation-retain-key

I am not mocking Porsche I enjoy my 911 as a daily driver and 981GTS when the weather cooperates., I optioned my 997 in 2007 with PTS, XRR wheels, leather seats, seat belts and other options. 

I was looking forward to adding a new 911, my point is at this price range things add up to a price point that makes one think twice. I think when you are pricing a vehicle starting at this price point it not unreasonable to get some of the finer things.

As one of the post mentioned 991.2 turbo looks like a deal.

I should reduce my previous estimate by $11.4k with PTS there is some Odd pricing where if one adds exterior custom color it adds $22.8k if you choose color to sample  but only $11430 when you choose custom color.

Interesting

Paulo_Rangel_Melo:

Apparently there´s quite a few 992´s (no camouflage) on Mallorca, Spain right now.

992 mallorca.mp4

Hey, if you try really hard, you can hear a very distant growl - must have been the sport exhaust. SmileySmiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

On the LA show, they introduced the Carrera S and the Carrera 4S, both with the large width. Will this mean that the non-s models will have a narrower track width?

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

CGX car nut:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

1543522893002image.jpeg

1543522919780image.jpeg

Normally aspirated or with turbocharging?  

Next-generation Porsche 911 GT3 to display innovation but retain key features (Autocar)

• Track-prepared 911 will receive suspension update but remain naturally aspirated and rear-wheel-drive
    • Eighth-generation Porsche 911 will likely receive GT treatment in 2020
    • Previous 911 GT3 was naturally aspirated and rear-wheel drive
    • Porsche's GT division may be let loose on the Taycan 

(30 November 2018)

The next Porsche 911 GT3 will be innovative with its suspension system but retain rear-wheel drive and most likely a naturally aspirated engine without any hybrid assistance, according to Porsche GT boss Frank Walliser.

Speaking at the Los Angeles motor show, where the new 992-generation 911 has been revealed, Walliser said that his department “has some really cool ideas on the GT side for suspension". "There’s more potential again, and it will be very much a GT3”, he said.

The next GT3 will arrive around a year after the launch of the standard 911, meaning a 2020 on-sale date is likely. Walliser hinted that it would retain a naturally aspirated engine and not adopt four-wheel drive, giving Porsche a key point of difference still when rivals have gone with one or both of those technologies.

“We’ve discussed four-wheel drive, but with a rear-engined concept it has a different impact than on a front-engined or mid-engined car,” said Walliser.

“Part of the GT cars is that they’re raw, they’re lightweight; four-wheel drive gives you something in the wet but adds 50kg, and you lose some of the fuel capacity of our 90-litre tank.

“We’ve discussed but come to the conclusion two-wheel drive on the 911 layout is best. It can handle the power, no problem, with the chassis and tyre technology all helping.” 

Another topic of discussion at GT has been hybrid technology for the 911, but the conversation “has not gone from the tea kitchen to meeting rooms” yet.

“With the performance hybrid knowledge we have, what will the future GT car be like?” Walliser said. “With a GT car, it’s really simplified as giving perfect feedback and a very light design. It’s more than engine power; it’s other refinements that make a good car.

“It’s in a niche market, but it’s a big niche, and we have an asset that we don’t want to give up.”

To that end, hybrid power remains a long way off, but don’t expect to see a turbocharged GT3, either, Walliser hinted, contrary to the claims of some. “Turbo adds another 40kg, a hybrid more so,” said Walliser.

“Normally aspirated and hybrid fits together very, very well. The 918 Spyder was hybrid and normally aspirated. It’s the most emotional thing we have, and we have to stay emotional.”

A manual gearbox is also set to be retained, after it was retuned to the Mk2 version of the 991 GT3. Around 25% of all GT3s are sold with that option and as many as 75% in the US. 

Walliser also believes that the upcoming Taycan electric car has more in common with Porsche’s sports cars than its saloon and SUV models, opening the possibility of a GT version one day. He’s also part of the wider R&D team at Porsche and has driven development cars. “In doing so, I think it is very, very close to the sports cars, closer than I was expecting,” he said.

However, the GT division has no plans yet at present to develop a version of the Taycan.

Link:  https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-la-motor-show/next-generation-porsche-911-gt3-display-innovation-retain-key

Smiley

Rossi:
    reginos:
    RC:
    DaveC:

The exterior is ok, no surprise beyond the unfortunate corporate homogenation of the rear. The interior is another matter. Why even bother w/ an analog tachometer?  Homage to poor design? The center console tells us that a huge cup holder is now a 911 priority. The infotainment screen is another new 911 priority.  The result is a bland techno environment w/ echos of past 911s. Guess I’m too old for this future.

This is why I got myself this interior... Smiley No touch buttons, no large infotainment screen... Smiley

1543508886585403_p13_l.jpg

The carbon used by Lamborghini (Forged composites?) has an industrial look compared to traditional carbon fiber but it has its individuality.

--

The forged composite looks better in real life. Under flashlight photography like in the pic above it does look a bit prominent.

It's a matter of taste. While I think it looks good on the exterior I think it looks hideous inside. But again - a matter of taste. 

This is a nice comparison photo of how the designers have looked to the original car for inspiration on the design of the upper dash for the 992.

Interior 10.JPG

ISUK:

This is a nice comparison photo of how the designers have looked to the original car for inspiration on the design of the upper dash for the 992.

Interior 10.JPG

Superb comparison. I love the new dash. It needs that wood on it. It adds class and heritage to the car. Well done Porsche!

Completely agree about the wood. Carbon and aluminium is too common nowadays... 

nearly like my 964's interior 

IMG_6730.jpg

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Wood only belongs to making coffins, it has no place inside an automobile. Of all the people I personally knows, that actually want wood inside their cars. they are closer to the other wood made thing, coffins. 

Sorry, that's my honest opinion.

--

Whoopsy:

Wood only belongs to making coffins, it has no place inside an automobile. Of all the people I personally knows, that actually want wood inside their cars. they are closer to the other wood made thing, coffins. 

+1

An also honestly, I have had the Huracan for a couple years now, the all digital gauge is already showing it's age, it's looks, frankly, dated. Would have prefer it comes with the timeless analogy gauges now.

--

Paulo_Rangel_Melo:

992 mallorca.mp4

Paulo

As we saw on the photos you posted before, there were some competition cars with the 992 (Auydi R8 or mercedes AMG GT) so it should be the dealer presentation.

xpto:
    Paulo_Rangel_Melo:

992 mallorca.mp4

Paulo

As we saw on the photos you posted before, there were some competition cars with the 992 (Auydi R8 or mercedes AMG GT) so it should be the dealer presentation.

Wasn't supposed to be in January or something???!!!

--

This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Rossi:
    Paulo_Rangel_Melo:

992 mallorca.mp4

Hey, if you try really hard, you can hear a very distant growl - must have been the sport exhaust. SmileySmiley

I like the sound on the video!!!!

--

Rossi:
    reginos:
    RC:
    DaveC:

The exterior is ok, no surprise beyond the unfortunate corporate homogenation of the rear. The interior is another matter. Why even bother w/ an analog tachometer?  Homage to poor design? The center console tells us that a huge cup holder is now a 911 priority. The infotainment screen is another new 911 priority.  The result is a bland techno environment w/ echos of past 911s. Guess I’m too old for this future.

This is why I got myself this interior... Smiley No touch buttons, no large infotainment screen... Smiley

1543508886585403_p13_l.jpg

The carbon used by Lamborghini (Forged composites?) has an industrial look compared to traditional carbon fiber but it has its individuality.

--

The forged composite looks better in real life. Under flashlight photography like in the pic above it does look a bit prominent.

Smiley It looks superb in real life. Can't get enough of it. Everyone who saw it fell in love with it, amazing look.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Whoopsy:

An also honestly, I have had the Huracan for a couple years now, the all digital gauge is already showing it's age, it's looks, frankly, dated. Would have prefer it comes with the timeless analogy gauges now.

I like the GUI of the R8 better but have you seen Corsa mode on the Performante? Looks like early 80s Atari. Smiley Still, I love it, it gives the car a certain unique individuality and personal touch. Sometimes, perfection can be boring...see Panamera...or now maybe even the 992. Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Whoopsy:

Smiley SmileySmileySmiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689432 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409135 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255702 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234967 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65517 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857916 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773955 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM