Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car

[2019] Motortrend Best Driver's Car

Laptimes Laguna Seca:

....................................................McLaren Senna: 1:27.62 the car is lot of work to drive
    .............................Porsche 911(992) Carrera S: 1:35.52                                                                   <<<<<-------------------
    ......................Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S 4Matic+: 1:36.26
    .............................Ford Mustang Shelby GT350: 1:36.83 understeer on mid corner (cup2 tire) <<<<<------------------
    .......................................Jaguar XE SV Project 8: 1:36.96 a little mid corner understeer
    .......................Aston Martin DBS Superleggera: 1:38.27 aggressive throttle map in sport+
    ..................................BMW M850i xDrive Coupe: 1:39.40
    ..................................................Toyota GR Supra: 1:40.57 over 100hp than claimed
    ..........................................BMW M2 Competition: 1:40.83 brake fading
    ................................................Lamborghini Urus: 1:40.90 was good on road but cant hide the weight on the track
    ..................................Bentley Continental GT V8: 1:41.21 hot brake/tires / transmission was confuse
    Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody: 1:42.70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxwv7MQmsY0

Worth posting the entire Porsche 992 Carrera S writeup from Motor Trend.  It is impressive.

The 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S Is MotorTrend ’s 2019 Best Driver’s Car

Once more, with feeling: Porsche takes the BDC trophy. Again.

Angus MacKenzie Oct 24, 2019

The wizards of Weissach have done it again.

The 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S is MotorTrend 's 2019 Best Driver's Car. It's the fifth Porsche to win the award since 2007 and the fourth 911—the Cayman S drove off with the trophy back in 2009.

The 911 may seem immortal, eternal even, but it's always been a work in progress. Generations of engineers have spent their careers buried in the bowels of Porsche's R&D headquarters, polishing, honing, refining, reimagining the car that for more than half a century has been the marque's lodestar.This year's victory proves the point: The 992-series 911 looks familiar, feels familiar, sounds familiar. But there isn't a part or component that hasn't been touched, tweaked, or totally renewed. And made better.

"The Porsche blitzes the competition in terms of creating a cohesive, beautifully resolved driver's car," Head 2 Head co-host Jethro Bovingdon gushed after he spent some time behind the wheel of the 911 on the back roads of Southern and Central California, on our demanding closed-course road test on State Route 198, and on WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca. "It melds every control and input until the experience feels seamless and utterly intuitive, polished to such an extent that every other car appears rough around the edges. It's easy to drive yet rewarding to push and prod, fluid but keyed right into the road surface. It's another bloody brilliant 911."

Champion driver Randy Pobst—a man with tens of thousands of miles' experience behind the wheel of 911s at the bleeding limit—agreed: "It takes the 911 experience another step forward."

Weissach's wizardry starts with a new body wrapped entirely in aluminum panels. The 992's structure is just 30 percent steel, compared with its predecessor's 63 percent, yet rigidity has been improved by 5 percent. Aerodynamic upgrades include a flip-up rear spoiler with a 45 percent larger aerodynamically effective area, continuously variable flaps in the cooling vents at the front of the car that close between 40 mph and 90 mph to reduce drag and fuel consumption, and door handles that cinch down flush with the bodywork.

Under the shapely rump, the twin-turbo flat-six engine, code-named 9A2 Evo, shares its crankcase, cylinder heads, oil system, and valvetrain with the turbocharged engine that made its debut in the 911's previous generation. The engine is connected to the frame rails by short, stiff mounts bolted to the cylinder heads, rather than by a crossbeam bolted to the crankcase, as in previous 911s. This change helps reduce throttle-induced engine motions that can subtly alter the handling balance.

The 9A2 Evo's turbochargers have grown, with 1.9-inch turbine and 2.2-inch compressor wheels, bespoke housings for the left- and right-side units that ensure equal-length intakes, and electronically controlled wastegates. The intercoolers have been moved from behind the rear wheels to under the intake vent on the engine cover to improve cooling airflow.

That's a lot of evolution for an engine unveiled less than four years ago. But, along with other minor changes, it has resulted in 443 hp at 6,500 rpm and 390 lb-ft from 2,150 to 5,000 rpm, jumps of 5 and 6 percent over the previous Carrera S.

The larger turbochargers mean peak torque arrives 400 rpm later than before, but that's offset by the restacked ratios and faster shift times of the new eight-speed PDK transmission. First gear is shorter than in the previous car's seven-speed PDK, and seventh and eighth gears are overdrive ratios, which, combined with a longer final drive ratio, help reduce noise and fuel consumption at cruising speeds. The Carrera S hits its 191-mph top speed in sixth gear.

Along with a wider track, the 992 has mixed wheel sizes, with 20-inch wheels fitted up front and 21-inchers at the rear, shod with specially developed 245/35ZR20 and 305/30ZR21 tires. A smaller 14.2-inch steering wheel is connected to an electric power steering system, which has been recalibrated to be quicker and more responsive. The spring rates have increased by 15 percent at the front and 14 percent at the rear, and new Bilstein TDX shocks allow continuously variable damping.

For $114,650, the base Carrera S is an exquisite drive. Our tester, however, was fitted with a number of options specifically designed to sharpen the car's performance, options serious 911 drivers would consider essential. The $5,460 Sport package added the sport exhaust system, the Sport Chrono package, and, most important, the PASM sport suspension, which lowers the ride height 0.4 inch and has spring rates 18 percent and 28 percent stiffer than the previous base Carrera S. It was also fitted with the rear-axle steering system ($2,090) for sharper turn-in and better high-speed stability, along with the $3,170 PDCC active roll system. Our most expensive option was the $8,970 PCCB carbon-ceramic brake package. That might seem pricey, but we know from experience there's arguably no finer road car performance brake package for the money. These and other options brought our as-tested tab to $143,350.

No matter whether steel or carbon-ceramic brakes are fitted, the braking is controlled using an electric booster, and the brake pedal is made from an organic sheet composite consisting of steel, carbon fiber, and plastic. It weighs 41 percent less than the previous 911's pedal. Detail stuff. But it's such attention to detail that delivers a BDC champion.

Mooching through stop-and-go L.A. traffic, the 911 feels remarkably … at home. The engine pulls smoothly from near idle speeds, and left to its own devices, the eight-speed PDK transmission is smooth and concise. The ride is firm but not harsh, and even the race-face carbon-ceramic brakes have superbly linear feel and precision at near walking pace.

Get away from the freeways, out past the urban sprawl and into the hills, and you'll discover the true genius of this 911. The standard cliché is to say it "comes alive." It doesn't. No, this 911 waits for you to stir from the numbness of daily-grind somnolence, for you to see an empty road curving ahead and tingle with anticipation. Then it simply does what you ask of it.

"There's nothing this car won't do with me, or for me," road test editor Chris Walton raved after a storming run up and down Route 198. "The controls fall away from my consciousness, and I'm simply in motion, passing through the environment, watching the scenery go by through my sheer will."

Already at the top of most judges' lists after the drive up from Los Angeles on some of California's most challenging back roads, the fast, poised, approachable Carrera S cemented its place as the car to beat in this year's shootout on the lumpy curves and jittery kinks of Route 198. "If this car doesn't win, I'll eat my shoe," features editor Scott Evans said as we prepared to head to Laguna Seca for Randy's hot lap session. Nobody passed him the ketchup.

WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca can always be relied upon to throw a surprise during Best Driver's Car. First time out, the 992 Carrera S was two-tenths of a second slower than the 2017 model we tested three years ago. There were puzzled frowns among the Porsche technicians and surprise from Randy, who thought the car felt very quick: "I don't know the time, but I think it's going to overachieve," he said as he pulled off his helmet. "The power-down traction was fantastic."

Turn 4 was the problem. Randy acknowledged that the quick right-hander felt slipperier than usual. Next time out, he took a tighter line, where he found more grip and more midcorner speed. On a fresh set of tires, the Carrera S ran a 1:35.52 lap, nearly a second quicker than its predecessor, more than 0.6 second quicker than the next fastest car, the 630-hp Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S, and a time bested only by the mighty million-dollar McLaren Senna.

"The handling balance was beautiful on street tires," Randy said. "It has 911 character in that it has this little bit of entry oversteer, but it's never, never threatening. I'm amazed at how it could attack a corner. It was perfect."

As much as Randy loved it on the track, what makes the Carrera S special is that you don't have to have the racer's edge to experience it at its best. Two days earlier, on Route 198, features editor Christian Seabaugh climbed from behind the wheel and exclaimed: "This is a car that pushes you to be at your limits, and just when you reach that limit, it reveals a new layer for you to conquer— a new limit level." And with that, he'd nailed the essence of this 911.

Is the 992 perfect? Not entirely. The flat-six's engine note is, well, a bit flat. The stubby gearshift feels more suited to gaming. Certain interior bits carry a cost-down feel. And the piano-black center console reflects sunlight harshly. Just remember, this is all part of the progression of Porsche's soul.

A car that allows any driver to comfortably and confidently approach their own limits and invites them to explore the edges of its dynamic envelope is the very definition of a MotorTrend Best Driver's Car. Such is the 2020 Porsche 911Carrera S.

Thanks for posting, good reminder that the non-GT’s are still superb drivers cars...

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

The article will certainly help sell the car. 

I viewed the 992 yesterday at my dealer. It looks better in person. Still difficult to distinguish it from the 991. The one I viewed had a sticker price of $168,900. Yikes.surprise

--

Having everything is nice, but it's even nicer to make sure everything you've got is actually worth having.

nberry:

I viewed the 992 yesterday at my dealer. It looks better in person. Still difficult to distinguish it from the 991. The one I viewed had a sticker price of $168,900. Yikes.surprise

That's $10k more than the sticker on my GT3.  It's a big mistake in my mind to check so many options (that don't help driving experience) where you could otherwise buy a better model...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

nberry:

Wait until the Turbo and GT variants are released.

You can get a well optioned 992 for under $135K. Normal dealer discount is at least 6% off that price. 

Lots of colorful words and phrases to help sell a car which has lost its soul and character. This is not the 911 Steve McQueen made famous and loved.  I’m sure they will sell many but not to me. 

It is a different car and for different times.  Sports cars have become softer and more approachable with each generation and the 911 is no exception to the rule.  The new 718 GTS 4.0 is more the spiritual successor to the Steve McQueen era 911 than the 992.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSdl6zF7GAw

Folks have different personal opinions based on different circumstances.  Mine is that the Steve McQueen era cars are grossly outdated, unsafe, underpowered and bouyed up by nostalgic definitions of "soul"..  I have owned virtually every 911 model since 1966, and none compares to the 992.  

Does that mean I will buy one?  Not sure, because it might not fit my overall needs for space, daily errands, long trips with my wife.  Those are the basics I will consider, not its splendid performance only.  

The 992 is a very nice 911. My 991 NA GTS checks all the boxes for me, so not tempted to buy a 992.

--

2016 Porsche 991 Carrera GTS  Black with AeroKit Cup Package,  2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum  Purpurite Metallic, New York

The Steve McQueen take about soul and spirit is lost on me. Different times yes

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

Wonderbar:

Folks have different personal opinions based on different circumstances.  Mine is that the Steve McQueen era cars are grossly outdated, unsafe, underpowered and bouyed up by nostalgic definitions of "soul"..  I have owned virtually every 911 model since 1966, and none compares to the 992.  

I appreciate both the new and old 911.  To say the old ones don't compare to the 992 is missing the point in my opinion.  The old 911 offers a subjective experience that the 992 can't hope to compete with, but the 992 indeed offers things that the older ones can't imagine offering as well (they each have an appropriate environment to demonstrate their strenghts).  For me, I really enjoy having both.

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    Wonderbar:

I appreciate both the new and old 911.  To say the old ones don't compare to the 992 is missing the point in my opinion.  The old 911 offers a subjective experience that the 992 can't hope to compete with, but the 992 indeed offers things that the older ones can't imagine offering as well (they each have an appropriate environment to demonstrate their strenghts).  For me, I really enjoy having both.

--

Grant, your subjective experiences with the old 911 are all in your head.Smiley Compared to today's 911, the old 911's are a piece of shit in every respect. Only owners of these cars find some redeeming value in them.Smiley

--

Having everything is nice, but it's even nicer to make sure everything you've got is actually worth having.

nberry:

Grant, your subjective experiences with the old 911 are all in your head.Smiley Compared to today's 911, the old 911's are a piece of shit in every respect. Only owners of these cars find some redeeming value in them.Smiley

Nick - bring your RS out to the track in Denver and we'll objectively see if there is any merit to a 47 year old 911 in comparison Smiley

For now I have to slum it with a 2018 though, while my 73 finishes with its new engine project. Smiley

--

I drove those cars when they were the shits. The best. And diabolical. I agree that the new ones are faster and safer but my perspective is based on the old cars and the way they were back then. Owning a a Porsche back then was a different experience just like the cars. A bit rough and daring mixed in with risk and crazy expense. You can’t turn back the clock and experience those cars in that era again. I am fortunate to have been driving them since 15 so I did it right. The clock does not need to be rewound for me. Looking back I would not change a thing. I did the real thing on my shoestring budget. McQueen style. The times and the cars are still in sync it’s just that they are both soft and lost their edge. It’s just a crazy expense now. Oh well. I had fun and still have my mezger turbo with 6 real gears. 

Grant:
    nberry:

Nick - bring your RS out to the track in Denver and we'll objectively see if there is any merit to a 47 year old 911 in comparison Smiley

For now I have to slum it with a 2018 though, while my 73 finishes with its new engine project. Smiley

--

Grant distinguish between car and driver. Smiley Not sure why you would want to drive a 73 Porsche on a track. Does it have any safety features?Smiley Also, I’ll never understand how you can go from a new Gt3 to a 73 old fart 911. Just put a bullet in it and be done with it.SmileySmiley

All kidding aside, I do understand that some gear heads have an affinity for older models. There is a purity to the driving experience which you would not get in newer cars. As for me, I find the experience pedestrian. Smiley

--

nberry:
    Grant:
    nberry:

--

Grant distinguish between car and driver. Smiley Not sure why you would want to drive a 73 Porsche on a track. Does it have any safety features?Smiley Also, I’ll never understand how you can go from a new Gt3 to a 73 old fart 911. Just put a bullet in it and be done with it.SmileySmiley

All kidding aside, I do understand that some gear heads have an affinity for older models. There is a purity to the driving experience which you would not get in newer cars. As for me, I find the experience pedestrian. Smiley

I wouldn't describe it as "safe", but it does have 3/4 Cage, FIA Recaro racing seat, and FIA 6-point harnesses (things that Porsche forbids for North American customers in a GT3).  Also has huge (for the car) 4-piston Brembo brakes from 930 Turbo.

Honestly, it is much more exciting and satisfying to drive on the track than GT3 (and lap times are quite close - it has passed many more GT3's than those that have passed it).  The weight difference of 1,300 pounds (600 kg) is enormous and with it comes a much more engaging experience (and no electronic driving aids).

If the 73 911 experience is "pedestrian", then the 2018 is downright sleepwalking Smiley  I honestly think a passenger lap or 2 back-to-back with the GT3 might be surprisingly illuminating.  The car is heavily modified, but all of the hardware (aside from carbon body panels, tires, and safety) is period-correct.

--

I never driven a really light car like yours Grant, but I guess it is a riot!

Kobalt:

Well, I think you'll be able to tell us about something similar in the Spring Smiley

--

Kobalt:

Light cars are only fun if they aren't overpowered. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

^True, I guess - over powered is not fun anyway - What is over powered is of course relative.

I realized that I driven Formula Renault but that was at point in life where I did not have so much experience of track driving so I really can't compare.

Grant, my position regarding old 911’s is based on OEM equipment. Obviously, it the car is heavily modified it changes my view. That said, why did you buy a GT3 since you own the 73 911 that provides the excitement and performance you  refer to in your post?yes

--

Kobalt:

^True, I guess - over powered is not fun anyway - What is over powered is of course relative.

I realized that I driven Formula Renault but that was at point in life where I did not have so much experience of track driving so I really can't compare.

Well, let me put it this way: I had several Lancia Delta HF Integrale for street usage (did some group N racing as well with AM Motorsport...Holzer's son Marco is currently racing Porsche cars) and two of these street(!) cars had water injection (modified by Holzer Smiley) and some rally tech I was able to adapt. Also we ripped out everything related to comfort, so the weight of these cars was around 1100 kg. Power? Well, AWD and around 280-300 hp, sometimes a bit more...around 1985. Smiley Do the math.

When I fully accelerated from standstill, the front axle jumped around 4-5(!) centimeters from the ground...yes, I did a wheelie. Smiley The consequence: "Bended" my drive shaft twice...no carbon/etc. drive shafts at that time Smiley

A friend of mine had a VW Golf GTi tuned by HGP (very famous for this kind of tuning) over two decades or so ago, power was over 500 hp and the weight was under 1200 kg. Barely drivable with front wheel drive.  

Also had a friend with my favorite light weight monster...a tuned 964 RS with a turbo (biturbo? I don't remember anymore) setup and almost 500 hp. This car was completely stripped down, only raw metal, it looked stock from the outside though, was fast as hell, I loved it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Kobalt:

Go test drive an Alpine , you will already see what a 1100kg car feels like compared to ours 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

nberry:

Grant, my position regarding old 911’s is based on OEM equipment. Obviously, it the car is heavily modified it changes my view. That said, why did you buy a GT3 since you own the 73 911 that provides the excitement and performance you  refer to in your post?yes

Because I wanted to do Euro Delivery and drive the Nordschleife and Spa with full insurance and limited depreciation (same reason for the GT4 and future 992 GT3).  And my 911 has been sidelined for a long period with an engine rebuild.

And even if my 73 911 was magically transported to the Ring, that is a place where I would feel much more comfortable in a GT3.  I barely top 200kph (very briefly) in my 911 at the local track with no fixed obstacles to hit.   Nordschleife is Far faster with many more potential hazards and weather situations.

BTW, renting a GT3 with (worse) insurance at the Ring is around $5k per day.  From an economic standpoint, it doesn't take long to break even with Euro Delivery if you intend frequent track days and use it for transportation around Europe.

--

Don’t forget you guys can have the best of both worlds - courtesy of Singer... Even a 992 GT3 RS would struggle to give you a more purer driving pleasure than this :)

https://youtu.be/aLlEgTyGpg0

1964-porsche-901-vs-2020-porsche-911

--

I would love to have the new interior inside the old car's body. Plus the PDK too. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688716 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408777 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255555 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234815 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65403 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857649 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773495 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM