Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car

Porsche presented the 8th generation of the 911 in Petree Hall at the Los Angeles Auto Show. “California is the ideal place to introduce the new 911. California has been like a second home to Porsche for decades,” comments Oliver Blume, CEO of Porsche AG. “The 8th generation of the 911 is even more powerful, even more emotional, and even more efficient than its predecessor – and also offers extensive digital features. And in spite of all the innovations, the 911 is still just what it has always been: a pure sports car and the pulsing heart of Porsche: our icon.” 

Unmistakably committed to the Porsche design DNA, with a much more muscular look and an interior featuring a 10.9-inch touchscreen monitor, the new 911 is timeless – and also modern. Intelligent control and chassis elements as well as innovative assistance systems combine the masterfully uncompromising dynamism that the classic rear-engine sportscar is famed for, with the demands of the digital world.

The next generation of flat-six turbocharged engines has been further developed and is more powerful than ever before, with 331 kW (450 PS) in the S models. The drive efficiency has been increased by way of an improved injection process and a new layout for the turbochargers and charge air cooling system. The power is delivered by a newly developed eight-speed dual-clutch transmission. The top speeds are now 308 km/h (Carrera S*) and 306 km/h for the Carrera 4S all-wheel-drive version. Additional highlights include Porsche Wet mode to make driving on wet roads even safer, Night Vision Assist with thermal imaging camera, as well as comprehensive connectivity that uses swarm intelligence. The offering is completed by three exclusive digital services that are a perfect fit for the Californian lifestyle: the Porsche Road Trip app for extraordinary journeys, the Porsche 360+ personal assistant, and the web-based Porsche Impact emissions calculator for neutralising your individual carbon footprint.

Detlev von Platen, Member of the Executive Board for Sales and Marketing at Porsche AG, emphasised the importance of the US American market for the sports car manufacturer: “More than 55,000 Porsches were delivered to the USA in 2017, and our American sales company Porsche Cars North America is on track to achieve a new record figure in 2018. Ultimately, no model better symbolises the American love affair with Porsche than the 911. One in three Porsche 911s built in Zuffenhausen goes to the USA.”

An exterior design that draws on earlier generations of the 911
    The exterior design is familiar and yet unmistakably new. The eighth-generation 911 is wider, more assertive, and more advanced. Wider wings arch over the large 20-inch wheels at the front and 21-inch wheels at the rear. The rear-wheel-drive models now match the bodywork width of the existing all-wheel models. Their rear body is 44 mm wider. The front end of all models – now 45 mm wider – revives a traditional feature of earlier 911 generations: a forward-extended bonnet with a distinctive recess in front of the windscreen. Both elements lengthen the front of the vehicle and give it a dynamic look. At the same time, the newly developed LED headlights illustrate how technology has advanced in the 911. These headlights are integrated into the wings almost seamlessly, taking the typically-911 round and upright form. Flush integration of the electrical pop-out handles in the doors emphasises the tapered and smooth side contour. The exterior mirrors have also been redesigned, and are now optimised to minimise wind noise. It’s also possible to fold the mirrors in electronically. 

The rear of all models is dominated by the significantly wider, variable-position spoiler and the seamless, elegant light bar. The vertically arranged louvres of the air intake echo the contours of the rear window. The centrally located third brake light has also been integrated in the intake louvres. Since this is hidden when the rear spoiler is extended, there is a second brake light in the spoiler itself. As a distinguishing feature, the rear-wheel-drive models have black louvres, while the all-wheel-drive models have chrome elements in the rear grille. With the exception of the front and rear sections, the entire outer skin is now made from aluminium.

Redesigned interior with clear lines
    The interior is distinctive, with the clear, straight lines and recessed instruments defining the dashboard. The 911 models from the 1970s provided the inspiration here as well. As it does in the original 911, the new dashboard covers the entire width between two horizontal wing levels. Alongside the centrally positioned rev counter, two thin, frameless freeform displays deliver information to the driver. Now 10.9 inches in size, the centre screen of the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) can be operated quickly and without causing distraction. Below it, a docked-on control panel of five buttons with the look of a classic toggle switch creates the transition to the centre console with touchpad. The seats have also been fundamentally modified. The new design reduces the vehicle weight by around three kilos, while the adapted geometry offers significantly better lateral support in the shoulder area. Although the seat is now positioned five millimetres lower and has a minimally thinner seat cushion, seating comfort has been improved overall. 

In the area of digitisation, the 911 takes the next step into the future with permanent connectivity, as well as new functions and services. The standard PCM features include online navigation based on swarm data as well as Porsche Connect Plus.

New assistance systems enhance safety and comfort
    In a world first, Porsche has developed Wet mode, included as standard. This function detects water on the road, preconditions the control systems accordingly and warns the driver; the driver can then adjust vehicle settings for a particular emphasis on safety at the push of a button, or by means of the mode switch on the steering wheel (optional Sport Chrono Package). The camera-based warning and brake assist system, also fitted as standard, detects the risk of collisions with other vehicles, pedestrians or cyclist and initiates a warning or emergency braking if necessary. Night Vision Assist with a thermal imaging camera is optionally available for the 911 for the first time. The adaptive cruise control option includes automatic distance control with stop-and-go function and reversible occupant protection.

The next generation of flat-six engines
    The turbocharged flat-six engines also enter a new generation with the new 911. In addition to compliance with the latest emissions standards by way of a gasoline particulate filter, the primary focus of advanced development here was on further enhancing performance. New, larger turbochargers with symmetrical layout and electrically controlled wastegate valves, a completely redesigned charge air cooling system, and use for the first time of piezo injectors combine to attain engine improvements in all relevant areas: responsiveness, power, torque characteristic, endurance, revving ability. In addition to performance enhancement of 22 kW (30 PS), achieving 331 kW (450 PS) at 6,500 rpm, the 911 Carrera S engine achieves an extra 30 Nm of torque: 530 Nm in total. This is available within a wide range of speeds, from 2,300 to 5,000 rpm.

The 911 Carrera S costs from 120,125 euros in Germany and the 911 Carrera 4S from 127,979 euros, including value added tax and country-specific equipment. The new models can be ordered now.

1543491358730S18_3730_fine.jpg
    154349135873911-2018-Porsche-911-Typ-992--fotoshowBig-9466445f-1213913.jpg
    154349135872211-2018-Porsche-911-Typ-992--fotoshowBig-e5059ece-1213881.jpg
    154349135872611-2018-Porsche-911-Typ-992--fotoshowBig-86c1b686-1213882.jpg
    154349135871111-2018-Porsche-911-Typ-992--fotoshowBig-ebd2cb5b-1213878.jpg
    154349135875011-2018-Porsche-911-Typ-992--fotoshowBig-9c0da97d-1213910.jpg
    154349135871711-2018-Porsche-911-Typ-992--fotoshowBig-d3e5ea4b-1213879.jpg
    154349135874411-2018-Porsche-911-Typ-992--fotoshowBig-c5d18863-1213896.jpg
    154349135874711-2018-Porsche-911-Typ-992--fotoshowBig-f10f42ca-1213895.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Re: OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car

Thank you RC. This is what I was looking for. What is ‘reversible occupant protection’?  Baby seats 💺 in the front?

Soooo glad there is a pollution impact calculator included. Hyundai charges extra for that. 

This looks like a very nice 911. Curious about the base model when it comes out. I actually like the third 11 brake light. Is that a hidden cup holder under the passenger air vent?  

Yes

--

This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It's bizarre that they list "endurance" as one area of engine improvement. I don't recall seeing such a thing mentioned in a manufacturer's press release (commercial vehicles excepted), as the implication would be that the outgoing model has engine durability issues.

Baby Panamera  angry

For the first time, I'm kind of not interested. 

I like the new front wheel arches a lot. Other than that nothing catches my attention.

The interior is so bland. For a car of that price, it's a real shame. 

And what's with the paint job ? Is Porsche trying to save some pennies by not painting the rear and the front bumper ?

BiTurbo:

Baby Panamera  angry

Panamera.2  is a senior 911, than the opposite.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

GT3 RS render

Porsche Design is releasing a new watch for the occasion as well.

https://www.porsche-design.us/911Chrono/

reginos:

Panamera.2  is a senior 911, than the opposite.

That sidewalk right below the screen going all the way till the passengers a/c vent says something else Smiley

I bet people would place their personal belongings on top of it, if not a magnet fridge with a note  Smiley

Invited by Porsche to the owners club today for the showing in LA. Not interested in driving to LA to see the 992. Had it been in San Diego I would have considered attending.

MY impression of the 992 is meh. I agree with those that think it looks like a mini Panamera. 

BTW, there are storm clouds gathering on the horizon for European car manufacturers. Many EU commissioners believe Trump will impose tariffs on European cars imported to the US before Christmas. 

--

Being adventurous can be risky but routine is lethal.

The exterior is ok, no surprise beyond the unfortunate corporate homogenation of the rear. The interior is another matter. Why even bother w/ an analog tachometer?  Homage to poor design? The center console tells us that a huge cup holder is now a 911 priority. The infotainment screen is another new 911 priority.  The result is a bland techno environment w/ echos of past 911s. Guess I’m too old for this future.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

DaveC:

The exterior is ok, no surprise beyond the unfortunate corporate homogenation of the rear. The interior is another matter. Why even bother w/ an analog tachometer?  Homage to poor design? The center console tells us that a huge cup holder is now a 911 priority. The infotainment screen is another new 911 priority.  The result is a bland techno environment w/ echos of past 911s. Guess I’m too old for this future.

This is why I got myself this interior... Smiley No touch buttons, no large infotainment screen... Smiley

1543508886585403_p13_l.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Ornberry:

Invited by Porsche to the owners club today for the showing in LA. Not interested in driving to LA to see the 992. Had it been in San Diego I would have considered attending.

MY impression of the 992 is meh. I agree with those that think it looks like a mini Panamera. 

BTW, there are storm clouds gathering on the horizon for European car manufacturers. Many EU commissioners believe Trump will impose tariffs on European cars imported to the US before Christmas. 

The sky is falling!

Weren’t you recently histrionic about the specter of the Orange Alpha Male enacting tariffs that would impact your RS?

RC:
    DaveC:

This is why I got myself this interior... Smiley No touch buttons, no large infotainment screen... Smiley

The carbon used by Lamborghini (Forged composites?) has an industrial look compared to traditional carbon fiber but it has its individuality.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

DaveC:

Ferrari have been doing that since 2008 when it was introduced in the California and flanked by two configurable TFT screens on either side. It actually works fine in real life - well maybe not the Italian version as it does not have intuitive controls Smiley. Had Porsche abandoned the analogue tachometer they'd have opened themselves up to criticism that a full TFT screen display was just a 5 dial version of Audi's virtual cockpit display.

reginos:
    RC:
    DaveC:

The carbon used by Lamborghini (Forged composites?) has an industrial look compared to traditional carbon fiber but it has its individuality.

--

The forged composite looks better in real life. Under flashlight photography like in the pic above it does look a bit prominent.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Having looked at the new design again, overall it looks good, and I don't mind the interior changes. However, I don't think the front is in harmony with the rest of the design. It looks like it would be at home on an older model to me, perhaps it's just bland compared to the back and side of the car?

The R8 exhaust tips looks good on it as well. angry

136781_911_carrera_4s_992_2018_porsche_ag.jpg

Rossi:

The forged composite looks better in real life. Under flashlight photography like in the pic above it does look a bit prominent.

Yes, true -never dared to post pics I took because I thought it looks ugly on photos Smiley

Interesting comparo: the brown leather interior 992 looks like a lawfirm's waiting room - the interior of the raging bull looks like a machine room (in a good way!) Smiley

--

Daily Driver 991 Carrera T (June 2018), Canyon Carver 981 Spyder, Track Machine 997 GT3

Guest:
    Ornberry:

The sky is falling!

Weren’t you recently histrionic about the specter of the Orange Alpha Male enacting tariffs that would impact your RS?

Read my post carefully. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/27/trump-may-impose-tariffs-on-imported-cars-from-next-week.html

--

Being adventurous can be risky but routine is lethal.

JoeRockhead:

Having looked at the new design again, overall it looks good, and I don't mind the interior changes. However, I don't think the front is in harmony with the rest of the design. It looks like it would be at home on an older model to me, perhaps it's just bland compared to the back and side of the car?

The R8 exhaust tips looks good on it as well. angry

Unfortunately these tips turn out to be cheap looking fake tips on closer inspection. Smiley

Agree on the bland front. The front of the the car is definitely the weak point of the new 992. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

Not bad. It only took 13 posts for the Official 992 thread to be hijacked for the Lambo Performante smiley

ISUK:

Not bad. It only took 13 posts for the Official 992 thread to be hijacked for the Lambo Performante smiley

Well just imagine it would have been a R8... Smiley

--

Porsche-Jeck:
    Rossi:

Yes, true -never dared to post pics I took because I thought it looks ugly on photos Smiley

Interesting comparo: the brown leather interior 992 looks like a lawfirm's waiting room - the interior of the raging bull looks like a machine room (in a good way!) Smiley

Let's hijack the thread a bit more.

Without flashlight, the Performante interior looks more like this:

IMG_2804.JPG

--

Leawood911:

Thank you RC. This is what I was looking for. What is ‘reversible occupant protection’?  Baby seats 💺 in the front?

Soooo glad there is a pollution impact calculator included. Hyundai charges extra for that. 

This looks like a very nice 911. Curious about the base model when it comes out. I actually like the third 11 brake light. Is that a hidden cup holder under the passenger air vent?  

Yes.

Clip.jpg

--

This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Rossi:
    ISUK:

I have a feeling we will all long for the "R8 days" as I suspect the forum is about to become Lamboteam Smiley

Photoshop of Porsche 992 GT3 RS...

ISUK:
    Rossi:
    ISUK:

I have a feeling we will all long for the "R8 days" as I suspect the forum is about to become Lamboteam Smiley

Smiley

I was really looking forward to the 992. 

Then I priced one out on the Configutrator. After adding PTS,club leather, sports, performance package, PDCC, front axle lift, rear axle steering, adaptive cruise control and upgraded wheels. I come in just shy of $170k. 

One of the few good things is that maybe my 997.1 will go up in value since the price of entry to the 911 club just got so high.

i do like the design and silhouette from a distance. Overall I like interior design, would prefer analog instruments over all the digital screens, drivers cup holder is horrible (should’ve just carried it over from the 997 and 991and shifter appears to diminutive.

On the outside, this car will probably look best in black maybe they will allow to paint the whole bumper for an extra $1k in the future. Although they probable improve engine performance I never really liked the vertical engine slats and no even more so with that integrated 3rd brake light. The dividing body panel between rear window and the slats looked much better on the 991 rather than complete black look extending to the vents. The retractable wing should have been carried over from the 991 with elements of the Panamera wing engineering instead of cutting into the rear quarter panels. Not sure if it is a composite wing, but in some pics the paint shape on the wing look a little off compared to the body.

Ill wait for the GT3 of which I am sure all the allocations are already spoken for.

GRN2RSMO:

I was really looking forward to the 992. 

Then I priced one out on the Configutrator.

Yeah, one of the British mags said the price increase was 4% over the 991, but in the USA it's almost 8%...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662792 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401359 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254619 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229333 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59698 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4386 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853610 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    762129 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM