Crown

Board: Lamborghini Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Lamborghini Huracan and variants

the-missile:

Including specific booklet for track usage...unique to GT cars.

GT cars first purpose is track duty. 

Also a warranty for track usage? Smiley Smiley 

I remember my friend who track raced his GT3 many many years ago and the brake caliper color changed from red to orange, which looked pretty stupid on his car. Porsche refused to pay for new calipers (of course). Then, he had an incident with his gearbox, same thing...no warranty because he tracked his car (not professionally though!).

I "love" how Porsche advertises the GT3 models as track tools but the warranty ends on the road (which is understandable).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

I remember my friend who track raced his GT3 many many years ago and the brake caliper color changed from red to orange, which looked pretty stupid on his car. Porsche refused to pay for new calipers (of course). Then, he had an incident with his gearbox, same thing...no warranty because he tracked his car (not professionally though!).

I "love" how Porsche advertises the GT3 models as track tools but the warranty ends on the road (which is understandable).

things changed a lot since that time....warranty is applicable on track. it is mentioned on the manual Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

RC:
    SciFrog:

Since when the GT3 are track cars? They are street cars that can occasionally be tracked...

They are track cars, not race cars though (even if Porsche marketing wants to make us believe that), they don't have much in common with their racing brothers. Still...pretty good track toys in the right hands and/or with the right setup.

The R8 has more parts in common with the LMS car, come on say it! 

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

RC:

Clubsport championships...the pro races are using GT race cars which are (almost) completely different than the street cars. Smiley Still...I agree. The Porsche GT3 models are pretty neat track tools and the competition can barely cope with that, there aren't many cars in this price league to compete with them.

Yes, the Cup championship uses race cars . But the official club sport  championship use the standard GT cars . These are not for professional drivers of course, but stil races and championships using standard Gt3/ GT3 RS cars 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

RC:

Even worse  for the Cup cars . They have no guarantee  if used on track Smiley

--

Porker:
    RC:
    SciFrog:

Since when the GT3 are track cars? They are street cars that can occasionally be tracked...

They are track cars, not race cars though (even if Porsche marketing wants to make us believe that), they don't have much in common with their racing brothers. Still...pretty good track toys in the right hands and/or with the right setup.

The R8 has more parts in common with the LMS car, come on say it! 

You know it, thanks for telling. Smiley

I really like the GT3/RS though, so relax. Smiley Very good offer from Porsche, if not the best offer.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Gnil:
    RC:

Even worse  for the Cup cars . They have no guarantee  if used on track Smiley

--

Smiley They have a 6 months manufacturing flaw (not sure how this is called in English) warranty though if I'm not mistaken.

--

nberry:

What pisses me off is track guys claiming that those of us that do not track their cars don't deserve or be allowed to get GT cars. WTF, are you superior because you track your cars?

Yes

Smiley

Kobalt:
    nberry:

What pisses me off is track guys claiming that those of us that do not track their cars don't deserve or be allowed to get GT cars. WTF, are you superior because you track your cars?

Yes

Smiley

You are mean... Smiley

--

It seems that all Huracan models are now (starting Sept. 18 production) Euro 6d temp certified, including the Performante. I am pretty curious how this will/does impact exhaust sound.

--

I don’t begrudge anyone from trashing their cars while believing they are the next Senna as they go around the same track every two minutes or so and finding some pleasure in it. Make no mistake by doing so, many feel they are the chosen ones in the Porsche world. Your not 

I don’t know who started the canard that dealers only want to sell their GT cars to those that use them as garage queens. To my knowledge that isn’t the case in the US. What drives dealers in choosing who to sell their cars to are relationships and money. They could give a rats ass if you drive it or not. 

--

Being adventurous can be risky but routine is lethal.

nberry:

I don’t begrudge anyone from trashing their cars while believing they are the next Senna as they go around the same track every two minutes or so and finding some pleasure in it. Make no mistake by doing so, many feel they are the chosen ones in the Porsche world. Your not 

I don’t know who started the canard that dealers only want to sell their GT cars to those that use them as garage queens. To my knowledge that isn’t the case in the US. What drives dealers in choosing who to sell their cars to are relationships and money. They could give a rats ass if you drive it or not. 

Not much different in Germany... Smiley Smiley

--

A proper track car has a roll cage and a 6 point harness. How many GT3 have that?

SciFrog:

A proper track car has a roll cage and a 6 point harness. How many GT3 have that?

almost all of them except uncle Sam territory because of some stupid safety rules...SmileySmiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

SciFrog:

Different question: How many GT3 have a roll cage and a 6 point harness but aren't tracked? Smiley I know at least a dozen (!) of GT3/RS owners personally and only a couple of them are actually going to the track from time to time or on a regular basis. Most of them want to have a cool looking car (with racing decals and everything, no kidding) but they usually drive around the city or maybe on weekends around the mountains here. 

Personally, I know only one single hardcore GT3 RS driver, he is a local doctor, who drives his car anywhere, on the track and in the city. He even drove in the Alpenpokal for a while.

Stupid question though: Does it really matter? We all love cars and personally, I don't care why someone is driving a car and where he drives it, as long as he drives it. Smiley I despise people who get these cars for collecting/business reasons only, even if I get their reasons.

--

SciFrog:

Fully agree with your view on neccessity of mentioned equipment for regular track use (the six point harness alone makes a huge difference). I understand that the so called Clubsport package with these features is not available in the US. Over here I have no clue about the take rate for the CS package but most GT3/RS I see on the track are equipped with the package (IMHO for good reason) Smiley

--

Daily Driver 991 Carrera T (June 2018), Canyon Carver 981 Spyder, Track Machine 997 GT3

RC:

Smiley They have a 6 months manufacturing flaw (not sure how this is called in English) warranty though if I'm not mistaken.

a 6 month manufacturing flaw maybe, but no warranty . Smiley

Basically what ever happens is for the buyer . Engine can blow up , etc...  Nothing gets paid 

--

SciFrog:

80 % to 90 % of the ones sold over here Smiley Actually I hardly ever seen one that does not have it !

--

RC:
    Stupid question though: Does it really matter? We all love cars and personally, I don't care why someone is driving a car and where he drives it, as long as he drives it. Smiley I despise people who get these cars for collecting/business reasons only, even if I get their reasons.

+1 

nberry:

Generalization leads to mistaking .  All sorts of people in all categories , track,  road drivers, poseurs, or dealers  Smiley

All the above is happening , but all the above is not general 

--

Feels like Nberry spends more time on bitching online whether his car will arrive on time than actual driving the thing.  yes

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

A couple of points. First of all Nick is a great guy and I even got to ride in his GT3 so he came a lot closer than the dealer to getting me into a car. Even insisted on buying me lunch!!  Second - while I would have loved a GT3 I would also never track the car. Not my thing. If I’m chasing lap times I will use a go kart or simulator. I would drive the car daily and like I stole it and go out of my way to find places to go - fast. Each day I would drive it and care for it like I would own it forever.  But tracking a car is not a must to use this car properly.

Im pretty certain Nick made a wise choice by turning his car in rather than selling it if he wants more of them. Obligated is not the same as smart. Good thinking and all is fair in love of Porsche. In the end I still get a huge kick out of my turbo and it’s manual. So analog and so brutal in an old school way. Only 11 years old. How funny 

Thanks again for your hospitality Nick when I was in San Diego!  Stick to your guns - it is always good to spice things up around here. 

Hi Mike, thanks for the kind words. I enjoyed you as much as you enjoyed me. Though at times we are on the opposite end of the political spectrum, we respect each other views we found common ground on a number of issues.kiss

--

Being adventurous can be risky but routine is lethal.

cool

indecision

--

spudgun:

Feels like Nberry spends more time on bitching online whether his car will arrive on time than actual driving the thing.  yes

Nick may have his quirks (don't we all? Smiley) but he is a respected longtime user and while he may enjoy the ordering process, he surely enjoys driving as well. And drinking coffee at Starbucks. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    spudgun:

Nick may have his quirks (don't we all? Smiley) but he is a respected longtime user and while he may enjoy the ordering process, he surely enjoys driving as well. And drinking coffee at Starbucks. Smiley Smiley

I can attest to this, Nick took me for a great drive in his previous GT3 and Targa and he definitely drives his cars with gusto.  And in his defense we went to a great coffee roaster not Starbucks Smiley

Enmanuel:
    RC:
    spudgun:

I can attest to this, Nick took me for a great drive in his previous GT3 and Targa and he definitely drives his cars with gusto.  And in his defense we went to a great coffee roaster not Starbucks Smiley

There is nothing wrong with Starbucks as long as you enjoy their sweet stuff only. Smiley Smiley Best coffee is still in Italy, no matter where you go, the Espresso is always (almost) perfect.

--

I like Jeremy Clarkson, especially the way he expresses himself. Now he proved, that RC bought the right car.

The Motor Awards 2018: Jeremy Clarkson’s car of the year — Lamborghini Huracan Performante

Designed by 10-year-olds for show-offs like me: McLaren’s Senna is faster, but for pure joie de vivre Jeremy picks a Lambo

McLaren has tried a few times over the years to make a supercar that would rewrite the rulebooks and do to Ferrari on the road what it had done so many times on the world’s racetracks. Beat it with a big stick. The first effort was the F1, which had a central driving position, an engine bay lined with gold and a top speed that caused many at the time to say: “I’m sorry. Did you just say 240mph?”

I disliked it a lot. It was extremely wobbly, and this made it hard to handle — a point demonstrated by Rowan Atkinson, who frequently completed journeys in his by flying backwards into a ditch in an expensive cloud of carbon fibre and broken glass.

Next, the boys from Woking helped Mercedes come up with the SLR, which looked a bit like an SLK that had been to the gym, via that Russian doping chemist’s laboratory. Weirdly, I did like it, even though I will concede its early-days carbon brakes felt as if they were being operated by a switch. You pressed the pedal and nothing happened. So you pressed it more and nothing continued to happen. So in a panic you pressed it some more and then you went through the windscreen.

After the SLR, McLaren plainly decided to transfer all the best people from its racing division to the road car operation and came up with the MP4-12C. In every way that mattered to the then boss, Ron Dennis, it was a fabulous car, with more torque, power and downforce than any rival Ferrari. But supercars cannot be measured by numbers. And in the only contest that mattered — the battle to win your heart — the McLaren felt like an accountant and the Ferrari like an accountant’s mistress.

McLaren tried to make the MP4-12C more exciting. It even shortened the name to 12C so it sounded less like a fax machine. But McLaren didn’t really succeed until it took the hybrid tech from a Toyota Prius, weaponised it and used it to create the fearsome P1.

I loved that car. It was nuts. It scared you half to death at half throttle and understeered like a wayward drunk if you went all in. Porsche and Ferrari had cleverer and faster rivals, but for hairs-on-end thrills the P1 was just brilliant.

And now McLaren has made something even better. It is based loosely on the 720S and doesn’t have hybrid drive: just a 4-litre twin-turbo V8 that produces a mere 789bhp. The top speed is just 211mph, and that’s nothing to write home about.

However, I’m going to stick my neck out and say no road car would be able to get round a track faster than this machine. Which is why McLaren has called it the Senna. The secret to its track performance is low weight. The seats weigh just 8kg each, which is about the same as one of Keira Knightley’s hairs. And the doors are just 9kg. The whole car? Well, you don’t have to worry about parking it. You could just pick it up and take it with you.

Because there’s no fat to drag the car out of line, it turns into a corner like nothing I’ve experienced before. And for the same reason it stops so quickly that, time and again, I’d brake for a bend and then have to accelerate up to the apex. You need a system reset in your head to get used to the way this car goes and stops and corners. There are CGI spaceships in Star Trek that are less dainty and quick-witted.

It is, then, far and away the best supercar you can buy right now. It’s a triumph. And yet I’d still rather have what is my car of the year, Lamborghini’s Huracan Performante. Partly this is because the Senna costs £750,000 and the Lambo is half a million pounds cheaper. And partly it’s because the Senna doesn’t have air-conditioning — it’s too heavy. But mostly it’s because the Senna impresses your head and heart while the Huracan is busy in your underpants.

Serious people who talk about the Brooklands and Prescott hillclimbs and Colin Chapman have it in their heads that the real supercar battle these days is between Ferrari and McLaren, and they’re right, of course. Both build cars to go round a corner 0.1mph faster, whereas Lamborghini just paints everything orange. Lamborghini, I like to think, is run by a bunch of 10-year-olds.

Sure, it’s owned by the Germans these days, which is why the books get balanced and the tax gets paid and the engines work for more than 16 seconds. But the way the cars feel and sound and look — that’s all done by a gang of Italian schoolchildren who’ve had too much pop. You get the sense that, were it not for Audi being all headmasterly, the Huracan would have space lasers on the roof.

Lamborghini actually did a version called the Avio, which was inspired by Italy’s fighter planes, and another one called the Polizia, which it gave to the police after one of the two Gallardos Plod had been using was destroyed in an accident and the other ended up in a museum. Oh, and then there was the Huracan Pope Francis. I have no idea why, either.

But it’s the Performante that stands out. It’s only a little bit more powerful than the standard car and wades into battle with just 630bhp. But, thanks to some lightweight parts and a lot of careful jiggery-pokery with the aerodynamics (Lambo says it produces 750% more downforce than the standard car, as children do — I’m surprised it didn’t say “a million”), it set one of the fastest Nürburgring lap times yet.

Some accused Lamborghini of cheating — it didn’t — and I can see why, because a lap time round the “Green Hell” of 6 minutes and 52.01 seconds sort of beggars belief. It’s like claiming you’ve dived deeper than a US Virginia-class submarine using nothing but a bucket and a length of hoover pipe.

The Senna would go faster, I’m sure, but it wouldn’t have the V10 bellow and howl of the Lambo. And the truth is Lambos may look as if they belong on the track but they don’t. Not really. They are — and always have been — for showing off. They’re big watches, nebuchadnezzars of champagne, beautiful girlfriends and Riva speedboats. They’re Le Club 55 in St Tropez, and everyone laughs at that. But everyone goes when they have half a chance, because you’d rather eat a second-hand piece of cauliflower on Pampelonne beach than the perfect soufflé in a basement.

If you want the perfect soufflé in a basement, get a McLaren or a Ferrari. But I think that if you want to live, you should live. And that means getting yourself the car of the year: the Lamborghini Huracan Performante.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

I like Jeremy Clarkson, especially the way he expresses himself. Now he proved, that RC bought the right car.

The Motor Awards 2018: Jeremy Clarkson’s car of the year — Lamborghini Huracan Performante

Designed by 10-year-olds for show-offs like me: McLaren’s Senna is faster, but for pure joie de vivre Jeremy picks a Lambo

McLaren has tried a few times over the years to make a supercar that would rewrite the rulebooks and do to Ferrari on the road what it had done so many times on the world’s racetracks. Beat it with a big stick. The first effort was the F1, which had a central driving position, an engine bay lined with gold and a top speed that caused many at the time to say: “I’m sorry. Did you just say 240mph?”

I disliked it a lot. It was extremely wobbly, and this made it hard to handle — a point demonstrated by Rowan Atkinson, who frequently completed journeys in his by flying backwards into a ditch in an expensive cloud of carbon fibre and broken glass.

Next, the boys from Woking helped Mercedes come up with the SLR, which looked a bit like an SLK that had been to the gym, via that Russian doping chemist’s laboratory. Weirdly, I did like it, even though I will concede its early-days carbon brakes felt as if they were being operated by a switch. You pressed the pedal and nothing happened. So you pressed it more and nothing continued to happen. So in a panic you pressed it some more and then you went through the windscreen.

After the SLR, McLaren plainly decided to transfer all the best people from its racing division to the road car operation and came up with the MP4-12C. In every way that mattered to the then boss, Ron Dennis, it was a fabulous car, with more torque, power and downforce than any rival Ferrari. But supercars cannot be measured by numbers. And in the only contest that mattered — the battle to win your heart — the McLaren felt like an accountant and the Ferrari like an accountant’s mistress.

McLaren tried to make the MP4-12C more exciting. It even shortened the name to 12C so it sounded less like a fax machine. But McLaren didn’t really succeed until it took the hybrid tech from a Toyota Prius, weaponised it and used it to create the fearsome P1.

I loved that car. It was nuts. It scared you half to death at half throttle and understeered like a wayward drunk if you went all in. Porsche and Ferrari had cleverer and faster rivals, but for hairs-on-end thrills the P1 was just brilliant.

And now McLaren has made something even better. It is based loosely on the 720S and doesn’t have hybrid drive: just a 4-litre twin-turbo V8 that produces a mere 789bhp. The top speed is just 211mph, and that’s nothing to write home about.

However, I’m going to stick my neck out and say no road car would be able to get round a track faster than this machine. Which is why McLaren has called it the Senna. The secret to its track performance is low weight. The seats weigh just 8kg each, which is about the same as one of Keira Knightley’s hairs. And the doors are just 9kg. The whole car? Well, you don’t have to worry about parking it. You could just pick it up and take it with you.

Because there’s no fat to drag the car out of line, it turns into a corner like nothing I’ve experienced before. And for the same reason it stops so quickly that, time and again, I’d brake for a bend and then have to accelerate up to the apex. You need a system reset in your head to get used to the way this car goes and stops and corners. There are CGI spaceships in Star Trek that are less dainty and quick-witted.

It is, then, far and away the best supercar you can buy right now. It’s a triumph. And yet I’d still rather have what is my car of the year, Lamborghini’s Huracan Performante. Partly this is because the Senna costs £750,000 and the Lambo is half a million pounds cheaper. And partly it’s because the Senna doesn’t have air-conditioning — it’s too heavy. But mostly it’s because the Senna impresses your head and heart while the Huracan is busy in your underpants.

Serious people who talk about the Brooklands and Prescott hillclimbs and Colin Chapman have it in their heads that the real supercar battle these days is between Ferrari and McLaren, and they’re right, of course. Both build cars to go round a corner 0.1mph faster, whereas Lamborghini just paints everything orange. Lamborghini, I like to think, is run by a bunch of 10-year-olds.

Sure, it’s owned by the Germans these days, which is why the books get balanced and the tax gets paid and the engines work for more than 16 seconds. But the way the cars feel and sound and look — that’s all done by a gang of Italian schoolchildren who’ve had too much pop. You get the sense that, were it not for Audi being all headmasterly, the Huracan would have space lasers on the roof.

Lamborghini actually did a version called the Avio, which was inspired by Italy’s fighter planes, and another one called the Polizia, which it gave to the police after one of the two Gallardos Plod had been using was destroyed in an accident and the other ended up in a museum. Oh, and then there was the Huracan Pope Francis. I have no idea why, either.

But it’s the Performante that stands out. It’s only a little bit more powerful than the standard car and wades into battle with just 630bhp. But, thanks to some lightweight parts and a lot of careful jiggery-pokery with the aerodynamics (Lambo says it produces 750% more downforce than the standard car, as children do — I’m surprised it didn’t say “a million”), it set one of the fastest Nürburgring lap times yet.

Some accused Lamborghini of cheating — it didn’t — and I can see why, because a lap time round the “Green Hell” of 6 minutes and 52.01 seconds sort of beggars belief. It’s like claiming you’ve dived deeper than a US Virginia-class submarine using nothing but a bucket and a length of hoover pipe.

The Senna would go faster, I’m sure, but it wouldn’t have the V10 bellow and howl of the Lambo. And the truth is Lambos may look as if they belong on the track but they don’t. Not really. They are — and always have been — for showing off. They’re big watches, nebuchadnezzars of champagne, beautiful girlfriends and Riva speedboats. They’re Le Club 55 in St Tropez, and everyone laughs at that. But everyone goes when they have half a chance, because you’d rather eat a second-hand piece of cauliflower on Pampelonne beach than the perfect soufflé in a basement.

If you want the perfect soufflé in a basement, get a McLaren or a Ferrari. But I think that if you want to live, you should live. And that means getting yourself the car of the year: the Lamborghini Huracan Performante.

Now, you put a big smile on someone's "I am currently in sunny Florida enjoying the weather forecast in Germany on TV-face", I assume ! Smiley

Besides, a nice read, thanks for posting  - I guess, JC writing car reviews, this is something he really does best!

Oh yes, he put a smile on my face indeed. 😎👍 Not only on mine though... 😉😎

I've never been a real fan of JC but boy can he write about cars...he always nails it. 👍

Last weekend, my wife caught me playing GTA V Online, calling me a 10 year old (bare in mind that GTA V is a 18+ game but... 😛). She actually enjoys seeing me this way because (she told my daughter) she feels young(er) in my presence. She couldn't have made me a bigger compliment. 😎

I love cars, always did and I always had a special relationship to Porsche. At some point however, I felt like getting out of sync with Porsche, maybe the reason why I switched so fast from one Porsche to the other. Then, I realized that I have moved passed the 911. I really hoped for a 960, waited as long as I could but when the R8 came my way, this was already a different (sportscar) world. The R8 was always fun but lacked a certain precision and rawness I expected from a sportscar...to make me eternally happy. Then, heaven sent the Performante. The R8 GT I always wanted, the V10 engined exotic looking GT3 RS I always imagined. The car gods were good to me, can't wait to enjoy it like a 10 year old does his Playstation driving games. 😎😃

Greetings from sunny Florida and Stefan...thanks a bunch...you just made my day. 👍😎

A56C90F0-279B-43EC-BD75-5B657A49C5B9.jpeg

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM