Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayenne Turbo S - reunited with an old friend

nberry:
    crayphile:
    J.Seven:

Congrats, great looking car in & out, love the interior, how do you compare with your RR? What RR did you had?

I had a V8 Supercharged Autobiography. It looks great but it was much slower and the drive was just soft and wallowy. 

Love the interior. How does that match up with the RR Autobiography interior.

I know everything is relative but switching from a V8 Supercharged RR because it was slower than the Cayenne Turbo is puzzling. Are there roads where substantial power is needed where you live?

BTW, I own a RRS and though I have some issues with it, overall its has been a great SUV to own. I do agree it is somewhat soft but in a SUV it is something I desire.Smiley

I think the natural leather in the Porsche is now a match for the RR. Also the stiching is now very attractive.The Porsche console does not have the elegance and simplicity of the RR. It was not just the slowness of the RR that was the issue, by far the biggest issue were the driving characteristics which were really poor. If I want a softer ride I jump in the Wraith and that is still better at cornering than a RR - SVR excepted. I think we should agree to disagree  on your "do you really need the power" line of discussion - to each his own. I cannot fathom your rejection of the GT3 because you can't use it in an around San Diego,  just as much as you cannot grasp my insatiable need for power , performance, and handling dynamics even if it is for a few short seconds a day Smiley.

I did not mean to disparage your purchase. I wondered about the reasons you gave.

FWIW, the turning radius of the RRS stinks. Its like trying to turn a battleship. But it does provide a comfortable and quiet ride which I want in a SUV.

Regarding power, I still ask myself why I sold the GT3. To make amends to my bruised ego, I will get a 991.2GT3RS if Porsche decides to build it.kiss Porsche is opening a track in the LA area and will do what I can to use it there.

My issue with power is related more to SUV's rather than sport cars. I certainly agree a SUV should have enough power to make it useable on roads and highways. MY RRS has 350 Supercharged HP and it is way more than what I need. If I am not mistaken your RR had close to 550hp. If correct, I wonder how much more one would need. That said, your preference for powerful automobiles is evident and I am envious of your stable.wink

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

My Macan has 400hp and it is OK... 350 in a RRS seems a tad tight... My Q7 has 350hp V8 and is anemic, granted it is a bit old...

nberry:

I did not mean to disparage your purchase. I wondered about the reasons you gave.

No worries  - I did not take it as such.

Doesn't matter that much, but Yellow seat belts was offered in 991 and GT4 (and others...)

991 Turbo S:

or in this GT4

crayphile:
    J.Seven:

Congrats, great looking car in & out, love the interior, how do you compare with your RR? What RR did you had?

I had a V8 Supercharged Autobiography. It looks great but it was much slower and the drive was just soft and wallowy. 

That´s why I like SUV´s Smiley for sportiness there´s the 911. When I drove the RR I loved the ride softness , that´s what I´m looking for when I buy a SUV,  I ended up buying a Cayenne, but in confort mode is still confortable, and 99% of time my ride is set to confort.

Anyway, I do understand your choices having the Wraith in the garage Smiley

--

J.Seven

Lukas:

Doesn't matter that much, but Yellow seat belts was offered in 991 and GT4 (and others...)

991 Turbo S:

or in this GT4

Guess what? I showed them those and I still got a no.

Not as big a shit storm as they are having right now with the R. And PTS R. And 918 owner's R. Wish I can say more. 

--

The thickheaded managemnet is what drives customers away from purchasing P cars enlightened

With Ferrari, you can fly to Maranello (The Studio / Atelier) and spec your car as per your taste / choice. (Only applies to owners with previous F-cars).

http://auto.ferrari.com/en_EN/sports-cars-models/personalization/atelier/

BiTurbo:

The thickheaded managemnet is what drives customers away from purchasing P cars enlightened

With Ferrari, you can fly to Maranello (The Studio / Atelier) and spec your car as per your taste / choice. (Only applies to owners with previous F-cars).

Let's get real. The customers "driven away" by Porsche due to a specific option not being available and who also can afford a Ferrari as a substitute is probably irrelevant to the Porsche revenue. So I would not call the management thickheaded.

Then again, if you have the money I am sure you can fly to Stuttgart and have the Exclusive Department do whatever the studio in Maranello can do. Even without being a previous Porsche owner. 

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

bluelines:

Let's get real. The customers "driven away" by Porsche due to a specific option not being available and who also can afford a Ferrari as a substitute is probably irrelevant to the Porsche revenue. So I would not call the management thickheaded.

Then again, if you have the money I am sure you can fly to Stuttgart and have the Exclusive Department do whatever the studio in Maranello can do. Even without being a previous Porsche owner. 

A 918 owner couldn't get it done, do you honestly want to tell me a first time Porsche buyer can get it without being frustrated for a silly little option (stitching, brake caliper paint, seatbelt....) Smiley Smiley

The term backwards is what Porsche is trying to revive when it comes to options Smiley they tried once with PDK only Smiley

The P Kool-Aid, let go of it Smiley

Whoopsy:
    apias:
    Whoopsy:

Yup. I went through every level of Porsche. Trust me I tried everything. One reason I changed from black on black with yellow to black on black/cohiba with cohiba seat belts and cognac stitching. (I remembered wrong earlier in this thread that I ordered espresso/cognac)

The last body that have yellow seat belts is the 997.

Just find a top notch auto upholsterer and get them to do it for you custom.

Not on safety item like seatbelts. 

Anyway, the black/brown 2 tones seems very pleasing to my eyes right now.

Seat belts come with a Type Approval / Certification label sewn onto them. To obtain this, each seat belt configuration has to go through the corresponding testing/approval procedures, which cost time and money. A colour change for the webbing shouts that the material used is different, so each colour option also has to be individually approved, even if that same webbing has already been previously approved for a different car-model configuration. 

It sounds ultra-buraeucratic, but you just need to think of the liability cases brought to court when things go wrong to understand the background to it.  

--

fritz

Seat belt failure cases usually involve the hardware. Rarely does it involve the belt itself failing. 

--

nberry:

Seat belt failure cases usually involve the hardware. Rarely does it involve the belt itself failing. 

Naturally. That's because the belts are subjected to testing before approval, and there's hardly anything which can go wrong with an approved belt webbing post-production which can not be attributed to abuse by the vehicle operator or to wear-and-tear.
    Which, if anything, could be seen as justification of the approval agencies' insistence on testing all belt configurations as a matter of course. 

--

fritz

Fritz, I was responded to your point that even if the belt had been previously approved, if you change the color it must go through the approval process again.

Which leads to another question. When a seat belt is submitted for approval, is the car manufacturer only allowed to submit one color or can it submit various colors as long as the belt is the same material. Your post seems to imply the each color belt requires a separate approval.

--

nberry:

Fritz, I was responded to your point that even if the belt had been previously approved, if you change the color it must go through the approval process again.

Which leads to another question. When a seat belt is submitted for approval, is the car manufacturer only allowed to submit one color or can it submit various colors as long as the belt is the same material. Your post seems to imply the each color belt requires a separate approval.

That is exactly what I was implying, Nick, based on personal experience. A few years ago I was involved in asking a seat-belt manufacturer to supply a belt which had already been Type Approved for RoW use, but just in a different webbing colour. The belt webbing material in the desired colour was available, approved, and in use in other configurations.
    To my own surprise, I was told that each new colour would incur one-off additional costs of (IIRC) about €15,000 for approval tests, etc., in spite of the webbing spec being identical apart from the colour. 
    In view of the limited number of belts of each colour I anticipated would be needed, that idea died an early death.

--

fritz

Government either at its worst (over regulating) or at its best in extracting money from businesses.indecision

--

nberry:

Government either at its worst (over regulating) or at its best in extracting money from businesses.indecision

Blame Ralph Nader. He was a lawyer, wasn't he?  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    nberry:

That is exactly what I was implying, Nick, based on personal experience. A few years ago I was involved in asking a seat-belt manufacturer to supply a belt which had already been Type Approved for RoW use, but just in a different webbing colour. The belt webbing material in the desired colour was available, approved, and in use in other configurations.
    To my own surprise, I was told that each new colour would incur one-off additional costs of (IIRC) about €15,000 for approval tests, etc., in spite of the webbing spec being identical apart from the colour. 
    In view of the limited number of belts of each colour I anticipated would be needed, that idea died an early death.

I can actually understand why they require each color to be tested. It's entirely possible that the dye used for some color could unexpectedly weaken the webbing, making it unsafe, so the only way to be sure it doesn't is to test it in each color, and each different dye used.

That part I could also understand, but since the webbing colour in question had already been tested and approved in other belt configurations, you'd think that its tensile strength for my application would be accepted as a given. Just as it is from one webbing production batch to the next.

--

fritz

That part I didn't understand from your previous comments. So, even though the material and color are approved for other seat belt usage, they still have to be retested for any new specific car?

I suppose one could make an argument that the exact direction of stress might make a difference, but it doesn't seem like a very strong argument.

Very nice ! still going strong? :-)

--

2008 Cayenne Turbo (sold) - Looking for a Cayenne in Holland, any suggestions?

1463066372452image.jpeg

Something familiar in the background for you...

WOW!! I LOVE YOUR CAR! Is the Best Cayenne for Me, congrats

cayenneturbo:

1463066372452image.jpeg

Something familiar in the background for you...

WOW!! I LOVE YOUR CAR! Is the Best Cayenne for Me, congrats

Thanks Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688371 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408639 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255490 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234736 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65363 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857517 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773259 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM