Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: BMW X7 2019

Large 7 seaters RC, this is not the same category...

SciFrog:

Large 7 seaters RC, this is not the same category...

I was only talking about me. If I'd need a 7 seater in the US, I would take a US car, a beater. We had a Ford Expedition Max for almost ten days, wonderful daily beater, fun to drive, fast, lots of room for a cheap (car cost) price. Not even close to the X7 on a quality level (I guess) but definitely better looking in my opinion. Unless you want to attract attention. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    SciFrog:

Well let’s put it that way, it is at least better and fresher than a Mercedes GLS and way better than an Escalade. There is very little decent competition in that segment of the market.

I would still prefer the new GLS and Escalade over the X7, believe it or not.

Right now, I would probably go for the Urus or the Audi RSQ8 though (when it will be available...).

From a design point of view, I like the Range Rover Sport SVR and the Audi Q8 most.

The Urus is not usable for a family. The trunk is sports-cars like - super tiny. Also the car is 3 times as expensive as a X7 or any other SUV

The RSQ8 might also be a good option. But same here trunk is tiny. 

In the large SUV area for me the new GLS is a car to hope for  or this X7 might be a good choice. I love my Volvo, but I dont like that on every corner you can see a entry level car half the price of mine. It just takes the image and luxuriousness. 

Do you really need a big car like the X7? You know how people are looking at SUVs over here in Germany.

When I parked the E63 S instead of our Cayenne S in front of the business, I swear...half of customers commented that "they are happy that we got rid of that SUV...". If they knew... Smiley The E63 flies under the radar, which is very surprising considering the matte color. In black or a dark blue, nobody would really think twice about this car. Perfect.

My wife parked the Range Rover in front of the business and immediately there were comments why she got herself a SUV again. Smiley 

You know which SUV I really miss? Believe it or not but the Grand Cherokee SRT. Wonderful sounding n/a engine, lots of room and still drivable, I would probably get the Trackhawk right now if I didn't already have the E63.

In the US, I would drive a big ass American SUV. Quality, especially in the interior, isn't the best but the cars are monsters, fun to drive (finally...most of them have a modern chassis and good steering) and they cost less than European SUVs. Or if Tesla would have a nice looking SUV, maybe a Tesla SUV. Why not? The model X looks like a Minivan and I hate Minivans. We have discussed this before though. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Tesla pickup truck? angry it is coming I think. You can call the X a minivan as much as you want, it doesn’t look like a minivan and is not associated with the minivan stigma and is considered a super cool car, and is has acceleration that no minivan can even come close too and it is AWD, so it is completely irrelevant to compare it to a minivan except for practicality. And that’s the beauty of it. They made a SUV as practical as a minivan by having a groundbreaking unique design not tied to legacy combustion technology. Anyone else is 2 decades behind.

Anyhow RC, US monster SUVs are not very good, you would get tired of them very quickly on a daily basis. Did you really look at the Expdition infotainment system? It is horrible.

I’ve rented an Expedition once..... worst seats I’ve ever sat in. 

You guys don’t need SUVs, minivans are fine for you but socially you don’t want them ..... come to our country to understand the need for SUVs.... big families and off-roading. 

What we buy here mostly is a Land cruiser or Nissan Patrol... if we wanted more luxury we get the Lexus LX570... No US or European SUV comes close to the Japanese  off-road capability or reliability. 

AP911:

The new one? I drove this puppy for 10 days, no issues. Even my wife didn't say anything bad and she always complaints. 

You guys don’t need SUVs, minivans are fine for you but socially you don’t want them ..... come to our country to understand the need for SUVs.... big families and off-roading. 

For off-roading, you don't need a SUV, you need an off-roader.

What we buy here mostly is a Land cruiser or Nissan Patrol... if we wanted more luxury we get the Lexus LX570... No US or European SUV comes close to the Japanese  off-road capability or reliability. 

Landcruiser and Nissan Patrol are not SUVs. Lexus? Hell no. Crap. No fun.

--

@RC - Well - I love the comfort of the SUV: I love the high seating and the endless space. Yes - a car with a good trunk like the X5 would be big enough, but the Cayenne is already too small when you go to the airport with the family. We usually have 4 big suitcases and 3 trolleys, that's too tight in most SUVs. 

As you know I had also 7series sedans before. But as much I love that car (or even the S-Class) I would not go back to it. I like the ease of packing and loading. Also - if you want to go for the do it yourself shop or anything else - no worries with that huge Volvo. I rather would buy a Mini-Van for the family purpose before going back on a Sedan. And - since I have the Volvo I mostly drive 135km/h - that's the top speed for the Pilot-Assist. I got much more relaxed. I don't even remember when I was driving fast on the Autobahn. 

Yep - I might be getting old or I might be getting wise. Either or - it feels right Smiley

Actually - I also like the Chrysler Pacifica. Had it a couple of times as rental car in the US. That's all the car I would need for daily usage. Perfect for the family! Unfortunately you can't get it in Germany (except direct imports). 

AP911:

You forgot the G class buddy Smiley

this car is everywhere Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    AP911:

You forgot the G class buddy Smiley

this car is everywhere Smiley

I didn’t..... I was focusing on 7+ seaters...... G wagon is  the only true European SUV with a ladder chasis  and I would certainly love me some G63  wink but it is too expensive to take it off-road and shame the professional version of it do not come in manual 

Lars997:

@RC - Well - I love the comfort of the SUV: I love the high seating and the endless space. Yes - a car with a good trunk like the X5 would be big enough, but the Cayenne is already too small when you go to the airport with the family. We usually have 4 big suitcases and 3 trolleys, that's too tight in most SUVs. 

As you know I had also 7series sedans before. But as much I love that car (or even the S-Class) I would not go back to it. I like the ease of packing and loading. Also - if you want to go for the do it yourself shop or anything else - no worries with that huge Volvo. I rather would buy a Mini-Van for the family purpose before going back on a Sedan. And - since I have the Volvo I mostly drive 135km/h - that's the top speed for the Pilot-Assist. I got much more relaxed. I don't even remember when I was driving fast on the Autobahn. 

Yep - I might be getting old or I might be getting wise. Either or - it feels right Smiley

135 kph on the Autobahn? I would die a slow death... Smiley

Here is my fuel consumption during a short Autobahn drive Saturday evening...in the Range Rover Evoque (4-cyl. turbo engine with 240 hp). Smiley This happens when you drive 210 kph (winter tires have a 210 speed limit, car is capable of 221 kph) on the Autobahn in the Evoque. Ouch.

IMG_5124.jpg

--

RC:
    Lars997:

135 kph on the Autobahn? I would die a slow death... Smiley

Here is my fuel consumption during a short Autobahn drive Saturday evening...in the Range Rover Evoque (4-cyl. turbo engine with 240 hp). Smiley This happens when you drive 210 kph (winter tires have a 210 speed limit, car is capable of 221 kph) on the Autobahn in the Evoque. Ouch.

IMG_5124.jpg

--

This was my old driving style, too.  96 km/h average speed with 22,8 ltr efficiency SmileySmiley  Just think of your health - how frustrating and negative this should be. 

I really am much more relaxed today. And believe it or not, you really don't lose much time when driving constantly 135. So - having a permanent speed limit might not be that bad at all Smiley I love cars but I prefer classic cars over modern sports cars. The look and feel are more important than using its power. Having a comfortable daily driver is what I prefer today. Having sports cars where you can smell the petrol, having the feeling of sitting close to the street and experience joy like in a roller-coaster beats any experience of a modern sports car which makes driving fast way too easy but also super risky. 

As I say - I came a long way. From work hard to work smart. From living my life instead of someone else life. I left a successful and big career behind and had the balls to start something new. I might work more than anytime before but I have pleasure in 99% of my daily doing. No negative thoughts, no envy, no bullshit. And believe it or not - calming down is great for you and your family. 

And back to the topic - if you want to drive fast, do it early morning as joy. In our daily full roads, it just adds heart-beat, risk and frustration. I rather stay on the right side of the Autobahn and take it easy Smiley

Funny, I do not feel stressed or very excited when I drive fast, it is just my normal way to drive. yes  Yes, I am very concentrated but I wouldn't call Autobahn driving stress...or fun, I just want to get very fast from A to B.

I only enjoy a comfortable car in the evening, when I'm very tired, on my way back home from work.

In the US, I drive differently though because of the speed limit. I have no choice. Cannot say I enjoy it, it makes me sometimes very tired.

--

RC:

Funny, I do not feel stressed or very excited when I drive fast, it is just my normal way to drive. yes  Yes, I am very concentrated but I wouldn't call Autobahn driving stress...or fun, I just want to get very fast from A to B.

I only enjoy a comfortable car in the evening, when I'm very tired, on my way back home from work.

In the US, I drive differently though because of the speed limit. I have no choice. Cannot say I enjoy it, it makes me sometimes very tired.

OK - you might have misunderstood. Driving fast keeps me relaxed, too. But not during the day when I have to slow down after every couple of cars again. It's more an acceleration->break... acceleration -> break.... That's exhausting. On an empty road - certainly, just let it go. 

Lars997:
    RC:

OK - you might have misunderstood. Driving fast keeps me relaxed, too. But not during the day when I have to slow down after every couple of cars again. It's more an acceleration->break... acceleration -> break.... That's exhausting. On an empty road - certainly, just let it go. 

Since I do not drive that much (mostly weekends), I seldom encounter such situations. Lucky me I guess. Smiley

--

Yeah - I think that makes a different. I majorly drive during rush-hours Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690797 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410060 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256152 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235372 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65734 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858723 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775018 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM